Author Topic: Troubles learning to drive  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Grobbelrevell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry & ignorance
    • The Grobbelramble
Re: Troubles learning to drive
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 10:03:31 am »
For what it's worth I felt very similar to you when I was learning. I couldn't get the hang of it at all, everything felt overwhelming, I felt rigid when driving and never really in control.

I used to come into the house and scream at my dad that i'd had enough and I was quitting. And he's always talk me out of it and i'd go again.

There was a moment though (which I can still vividly recall) where it felt a bit like a fog clearing, and suddenly it dawned on me that I was in control of that car, and I stopped concentrating so very hard on every little thing, and began to relax and look ahead on the road, start spotting hazards up ahead and anticipating things, rather than letting everything come as a surprise and create tension and nerves. From then on it was a whole lot easier. Well, I mean, I still failed the practical twice (and my instructor refused to speak to me all the way home after number two), but I got there in the end. It was far from plain sailing though.

I guess my advice is to keep at it, and try to relax and start taking note of your surroundings, as well as the specific controls of the car itself. That was the big thing for me. Once I realised I could control the car, and began to look towards everything that surrounds it - that's when I really started to learn to drive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:23:48 am by Grobbelrevell »
Twitter | Blog

TRADE COUNT: +19  /  SoS Member 6854

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:16 am »
You sure you're not just looking for excuses to procrastinate and delay actually doing lessons? Instructor, car, etc.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 10:16:08 am »
So I started this thread in October but didn't actually get round to taking my first lesson until about a week ago.

I've only had two lessons so far, so it's difficult to know whether or not I'll stick with the instructor long term. On occasions when I've made mistakes he was kind of impatient with me but I'm wondering if that's basically to be expected and if it could actually be a good thing if I get used to it. If I take issue with something like that I almost feel as though I'm being oversensitive.

At the moment I find I'm really struggling with the multitasking aspect. For my second lesson we basically went straight into roundabouts and junctions. In those situations I find myself focusing on one aspect at the expense of others. So for example, I'll be concentrating on getting my positioning correct but then completely forget about which gear to be in and vice versa. Seems like there's just a ton of information to take in all at once. Of course it's the same for everyone, but it's almost as if in this scenario I can't process it as well as others. I've likened it to striking a ball on the half volley. As someone who has played football, I subconsciously take note of all the variables in a split second. I can't seem to reach that equivalent point with driving, despite several attempts. I'm the David Ngog of the roads.

Posting this partly to get it off my chest, partly to see if anyone has any words of advice.

Imagine how crap you were at football after your second ever go at it. Don't over think it.

I would also try a new instructor. I failed my first test after being with one particular instructor, changed and he put right so much of what the other one had been doing wrong. Don't worry if they're stroppy about it - you have the right to feel comfortable with your instructor - they're not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.

It will all just click one day and from then on all your muscles will be in sync. Don't fret and find an instructor who will go at the pace you want to learn at.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 11:27:18 am »
Hmm, yeah after reading your message I think I'll look around for another instructor.

One thing I haven't mentioned yet - the car itself. My lessons so far have been in an almost brand new Focus. In terms of dimensions it's bigger than I feel comfortable with, but it's extremely forgiving in terms of stalling. I guess this is something you only really find out once you get in, but I'm wondering if there's any do's and don'ts in that regard? Would a smaller car perhaps be easier?

Personally I'd say the bigger the car the better, as you get used to driving a physically large car. From what I remember it was easier to learn manoeuvers in a smaller car, I took lessons in an MG Metro and passed in a Fiesta (1980's models), but my driving improved a lot more when I went out in my stepdads Cortina as a learner. The extra power, in my opinion, makes the driving itself easier, something you seem to have already found with not stalling the Focus. If I was learning now, I'd be happy to learn in a Focus.

As has been said, see if you can get someone to take you out in between lessons, this will help you come along so much quicker.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 11:39:05 am »
Id back the calls to get out as often as possible in between lessons. I've been taking my sister out recently and she hasn't had 1 proper lesson yet. Just going up and down am industrial estate for a few weeks getting her used to changing gears, stopping, moving round the odd parked car. Moved up eventually to taking her out on the road once I had to stop telling her to change gear as she was doing it herself.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2017, 11:47:25 am »
I would be disinclined to take out a car that is vastly different to the ones you do lessons in. The differences between cars can be ridiculous - especially with the pedals and steering. I took my fiesta to the guy that just bought it and drove back in my new Volvo and nearly put the car through a wall such was the difference in the tension of the accelerator pedal.

No harm at all though in going to the back of a big car park and just doing circles (not donuts) just to get the feel of driving and changing gear over and over. Once you've locked that in, the rest is a cinch.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2017, 05:14:30 pm »

No harm at all though in going to the back of a big car park and just doing circles (not donuts) just to get the feel of driving and changing gear over and over. Once you've locked that in, the rest is a cinch.

Think it's safe to assume S is quite a long way off from doing donuts with a car...

You (s) just need to get a car off someone, go to an empty lot, and overanalyse the hell out of it to your heart's content while you drive. Get it out of the way, to the point you're not thinking of what foot to move where when anymore. Clears it up and gives you a clear mind for the lessons with the instructor later.

Or just wait a few years for jetpacks to errr....take off.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:14 pm »
Think it's safe to assume S is quite a long way off from doing donuts with a car...

I was more preempting any smart arse replies than anything.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2017, 02:55:48 pm »
Quick update. Passed my test at the first attempt. Felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack beforehand and felt about as assured as Moreno marking Suarez during it, but seemed to all go ok anyway.

Changing instructors was the breakthrough moment, so thanks to everyone who suggested doing that. Immediately felt more relaxed and in control once I did.

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2017, 03:09:33 pm »
Quick update. Passed my test at the first attempt. Felt like I was going to have an anxiety attack beforehand and felt about as assured as Moreno marking Suarez during it, but seemed to all go ok anyway.

Changing instructors was the breakthrough moment, so thanks to everyone who suggested doing that. Immediately felt more relaxed and in control once I did.

Congratulations, well in for passing! The nerves will drop when you're driving on your own, you don't have anyone breathing over your shoulder anymore  ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2017, 03:12:22 pm »

Well done mate. Passing first time after essentially 3 months of lessons going by what you've said is fantastic
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2017, 05:33:16 pm »

Well done, that's an achievement seeing as how you were. Just remember, under no circumstances use a hand held mobile - aside from the stupidity of it, its an instant ban if you are caught.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA