Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #16 - Luis Suarez v Newcastle 4th Nov 2012  (Read 43493 times)

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Luis Suarez v Newcastle [4th November 2012]

It's all about the Goal.

Being at Anfield to witness what ranks as a precious snatch of footballing genius, nay, history reminds us in some almost primeval way of the very essence of why the game ultimately means so much to so many of us.

As the ball dropped from the sky, the whole thing seemed over in a flash. Defenders left behind and a goalie left spread-eagled on the deck. Then, a beaming buck-toothed Luis emerging from out of the red net clutching the ball with which he had worked his magic. Unlike with so many other such glorious moments my own immediate reaction was borne as much of bemusement as joyous celebration. Sure, like always, I was jumping up and down like some demented loon. Yet that was mere instinctive reaction. Perhaps even me performing to routine idiocy. For my rational side was already attempting frantically to fathom out what had just happened, what I had just seen, imploring those around me in the front rows of the Main Stand and back row of the Paddock to come up with some rational explanation as to what we’d all just borne witness.

Yeah, he’d latched on to this punt from Enrique but how had the next bit panned out? How had he then in an instant ended up dribbling round the keeper and easing it into the net with such nonchalance? Nobody around appeared to have the foggiest notion but one thing for sure was we all agreed we’d witnessed something special.

The short journey home consisted of further unenlightened speculation as to how he’d managed to do it coupled with repeated profanities aimed at the inane blathering of Jacko on the Radio Merseyside phone-in who predictably scarcely gave airtime to the goal. Not to worry, disappointment at the result was for once subjugated by a desperation to get home and watch exactly how Luis had managed to score this incredible goal that we had each agreed to be incredible without actually having the slightest clue at that point as to what had actually transpired to justify the tag.

Back home I watched in awe. Sure enough, it was everything I’d wanted it to be. And much much more. The view from Kemlyn Road finally disclosed the secret of what he’d done if not for a solitary moment providing any rational insight into how any mere mortal could have actually managed it. I mean to say where on earth do they teach collar bone control of a ball dropping out of the sky from behind you in any case?

I was so rapt by the Kemlyn Road perspective I replayed the sequence over and over again, close to tears in wondrous admiration, borne I guess out of some sense of sheer joyous communion it made me feel. An intrinsic connection, perhaps, to other incredible moments this mighty club, its players, its managers and its unique support have given us over the years.

My father, who passed away three years before Hillsborough, had appreciated great football more than anyone I’d personally ever known. He had his own heroes in Elisha Scott and Billy Liddell but was receptive enough to acknowledge the greatness of many that followed both in Liverpool red and other hues too. George Best was the finest he’d ever seen he always maintained. Better than Finney and Matthews for a variety of reasons he would happily expound.

It was a view shared by myself and many others privileged to witness Best in his pomp. Yet I doubt whether even Bestie could have done what Luis pulled out of his bottomless locker that day. And I'm sure my late father would have agreed. The goal we saw that day against Newcastle United down the Kop end was that good, as wondrous as anything I've ever seen from Bestie or anyone. And to those who appreciate just how good Bestie was that sure is saying something about Luis Suarez.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cH9mgohXiCk" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cH9mgohXiCk</a>

« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 08:38:35 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar 2014 #16 - Luis Suarez v Newcastle 4th Nov 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 12:13:43 am »
Now so fondly missed.

Great stuff Timbo.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 12:17:11 am »
Lovely OP ;)

Incredible, incredible goal. How I miss that man
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 12:20:04 am »
took the Mrs to her first game when this happened

unbelievable goal .. sorely missed

Offline me76

• It's all in the reflexes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Believer
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 04:27:03 am »
Absolutely extraordinary goal. Pure genius.  Great write-up.
Jürgen Klopp: "I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:03 am »
Just added the video - even now it's still unreal

:o

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 09:28:28 am »
Great pick!

It's a fantastic goal. Absolutely fantastic. One I'll remember for a very long time. I don't know about Bestie, but every player would be proud of such skills. Fast-forward a decade or three and this one will be a goal to recall.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 09:31:09 am by Gnurglan »

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:51:04 am »
Even out of all of his goals, it's difficult to find a better one than that.

We don't seem to have anyone currently, capable of even the final tap-in.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 10:36:50 am »
Great pick!

It's a fantastic goal. Absolutely fantastic. One I'll remember for a very long time. I don't know about Bestie, but every player would be proud of such skills. Fast-forward a decade or three and this one will be a goal to recall.

I doubt if I'll be here to recall it by then G.  ;D but yeah it's a cameo of such exquisite balletic sporting beauty that it should never be allowed to shrink in the memory. Clearly there are many amazing goals but I cannot ever recall one that I'd class above this one. It is truly a work of art.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:07 am »
Even out of all of his goals, it's difficult to find a better one than that.

We don't seem to have anyone currently, capable of even the final tap-in.

Now I wonder who you mean?

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 10:40:34 am »
took the Mrs to her first game when this happened

unbelievable goal .. sorely missed

Which part of the ground were you in cos if you weren't in the kemlyn Kope end then I doubt if she really saw it clearly. I presume you've shown her the viddeo a few hundred times since!   ;D

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 11:02:43 am »
What a goal - thanks for this one Timbo :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:59 am »
One of those 'how did that happen' moments. Beautifully written and you're right, who the fuck thinks they'll pull a high ball down with their shoulder? Incredible!

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:16:49 am »
I remember being awestruck by that goal.  The technique to bring that ball down from over his shoulder whilst on the move and go around the keeper in the same movement within a split second was genius.  With the on rushing keeper he had very little time or space to work in whilst also holding off Coloccini.

For me the best goal he scored in a Liverpool shirt.
'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline JCB Barnes

• Main Stander
  • Goal Digger
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:40:33 am »
Still haven't forgiven Dion fucking Dublin for not picking this as goal of the month on MOTD - meaning it went to some routine Jermain Defoe long shot as far as I recall.

Utter buffoon to not appreciate the one off genius of this goal.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 11:52:19 am »
Still haven't forgiven Dion fucking Dublin for not picking this as goal of the month on MOTD - meaning it went to some routine Jermain Defoe long shot as far as I recall.

Utter buffoon to not appreciate the one off genius of this goal.

I remember that.

Even allowing for the fact it was Dion Dublin such an oversight was unforgivable as you rightly say. But it does provide an insight into the fact that when it comes to football - unlike I'd say any other sport you care to name - the so called experts venturing their so called expertise are for the most part nothing of the sort and - again unlike in the case of most other sports - the average time served footy fan often knows better than the so called experts. Not sure exactly why this is because most footy fans like myself are as thick as pigshit. I guess it might just reveal that there's 'thick as pigshit' and - in the case of the footy experts - 'thicker than pigshit'.

;D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2014, 12:05:35 pm »
I doubt if I'll be here to recall it by then G.  ;D but yeah it's a cameo of such exquisite balletic sporting beauty that it should never be allowed to shrink in the memory. Clearly there are many amazing goals but I cannot ever recall one that I'd class above this one. It is truly a work of art.

Yes, it's a work of art. He made it look so simple.

Just compare it to RvP's vs Spain, or Cahill's vs Holland(?) during the World Cup. People thought those two were amazing. They both had one touch, while Suarez brought the ball down and took it round the keeper, while being chased by a defender...

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2014, 12:10:42 pm »
Yes, it's a work of art. He made it look so simple.

Just compare it to RvP's vs Spain, or Cahill's vs Holland(?) during the World Cup. People thought those two were amazing. They both had one touch, while Suarez brought the ball down and took it round the keeper, while being chased by a defender...

Absolutely G

The more you view it the more you realise he didn't in fact score it simply because the entire manouvre was actually impossible to execute. Pity that because I've always so much wanted to believe it did actually happen. It's like finding out there's no father Christmas.

Not to worry, I guess there's always all those amazing goals he did actually score.

;D

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2014, 12:21:14 pm »
Absolutely G

The more you view it the more you realise he didn't in fact score it simply because the entire manouvre was actually impossible to execute. Pity that because I've always so much wanted to believe it did actually happen. It's like finding out there's no father Christmas.

Not to worry, I guess there's always all those amazing goals he did actually score.

;D

What? No father Christmas? Can't be. He'll come to my house next week. Reliable fellow. Just like Suarez.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2014, 12:26:11 pm »
Fantastic stuff Timbo!

For me, this was his greatest goal ever.

I've got a clear rule when it comes to judging amazing goals. I think of it this way:

If I was playing against a team of 5 year olds, with a 5 year old keeper in goal, could I score that goal?

I bet you I could lob the keeper from the half way line, or pile drive one in for 30 yards. I could dribble past 3 or 4 and slot it in.

But there are certain goals that I could never score in my life. Goals that require amazing technique and touch, unbelievable class and timing.

Luis Suarez's goal vs Newcastle is one of them. I could never in my life control a high ball with my shoulder, swivel my entire body so not to touch the ball and round the keeper all in one go. It doesn't matter if I'm playing against 5 year olds. I'll never do that.

Pure genius. God, I miss him.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »

I'd never have guessed B!!

;D

As for me I can't even beat 5 year olds now!

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:00 pm »
Fantastic goal.

Stunned even our own players as they didn't rush down to celebrate with the mad Uruguayan.

He just picks the ball out of the net, thank please, and let go again. Probably thinking he could do a Norwich to the Geordies. ;D
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline JCB Barnes

• Main Stander
  • Goal Digger
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 04:27:34 pm »
Fantastic stuff Timbo!

For me, this was his greatest goal ever.

I've got a clear rule when it comes to judging amazing goals. I think of it this way:

If I was playing against a team of 5 year olds, with a 5 year old keeper in goal, could I score that goal?

I bet you I could lob the keeper from the half way line, or pile drive one in for 30 yards. I could dribble past 3 or 4 and slot it in.

But there are certain goals that I could never score in my life. Goals that require amazing technique and touch, unbelievable class and timing.

Luis Suarez's goal vs Newcastle is one of them. I could never in my life control a high ball with my shoulder, swivel my entire body so not to touch the ball and round the keeper all in one go. It doesn't matter if I'm playing against 5 year olds. I'll never do that.

Very good point. That's a great way of judging goals. I've never thought of it like that.

Hope we get to see someone with his natural ability and talent play for us soon.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2014, 09:05:07 am »
im not gonna say he is missed

stating the obvious plus he is gone and thats that

but moments like this was why i appreciate every second of luis suarez on the pitch. what a joy he was and thats a lovely summary of his goal. great post
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2014, 09:11:21 am »
Thanks Timbo - great pick. Not that it needed any embellishment but that silly gif popular at the time highlighting Collicini's futile attempts to get a tap on his ankles was very amusing. I just had a look back at the after-match thread, I forgot Collicin got sent off for a very snide rake on Suarez late on, after the ball had gone, Suarez is the sort of player that can embarrass even the best of defenders, they were terrified of him weren't they.
Funny how our performance that game was considered awful and apart from Sterling and Suarez we were shite, how times change  ;D

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:40 am »
that collocini challenge was filth.

funny thing was collocini actually did well against him that day, maybe he got tired and thought "fuck it im not chasing him anymore"

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:16 am »
Unbelievable goal and a great piece of writing. Thank you Timbo.   :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2014, 12:25:17 pm »
Nicely remembered Timbo. The player you mention was quite a decent player too.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2014, 06:13:01 pm »
Love it.

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 06:50:46 pm »
Thanks Timbo.

Not much to add really - agree with you and all the plaudits about your OP. Best goal ever for me - not just Luis's best in a red shirt. I thought Bergkamp's World Cup goal was very special, but this is better.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
Great post.   Amazing goal.  I agree with the sentiments on just how good it is; even I've scored a worldie volley into the top corner, and often it's just a mixture of timing, luck, and ability.  But this goal was pure ability, and deserves to be tagged as the work of a genius footballer.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:49 pm »
was the game a sprinkler broke and drowned a few at half time