Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar #09: Chelsea 0 v 1 Liverpool 3rd May 1986  (Read 66246 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
RAWK Advent Calendar #09: Chelsea 0 v 1 Liverpool 3rd May 1986
« on: November 26, 2013, 01:09:23 pm »
RAWK Advent Calendar #09: Chelsea 0 v 1 Liverpool 3rd May 1986

I don’t remember a tenser game. I’m normally better watching Liverpool live in the ground than watching them on the box. Probably we all are. There’s something about shouting - and being heard by the players - that blows away the nerves and vanquishes the feelings of powerlessness that always accumulate when you watch a close encounter at home or in the pub. Being in the stadium means actually being able to influence the course of the game - and with that responsibility comes courage.

But not on this day. On this day I was deeply, sickeningly, anxious and the anxiety lasted from the moment Kenny put us in front with his famous chest and volley to the relief and delirium of the final whistle.

You’ll remember what was at stake. Two teams were going for the Double and they were both from Merseyside. Tranmere weren’t one of them. Against Chelsea we could win the first leg of the Double – or we could effectively lose it.

This is the story of one game, but to get there I’ll need first to tell the story of two others.

For the most of the season we’d been trailing Everton and Man United. After a bright start Man United fell away completely, as they always did in those days. But the Toffees didn’t. Lest we forget, Everton were a terrific side in the mid-80s. They were the defending league champions, had a frighteningly productive Gary Lineker up front, playing probably the best football of his career, and they were experts at getting in front and closing the game down. They’d slaughtered Arsenal at Goodison by six goals on one occasion. But more typically they won games by 1-0 or 2-0.

As for us, we’d lost our way a bit since Graeme Souness decided he wanted a sun-tan that wasn’t from a bottle and headed for Sampdoria and Italy. This was Kenny’s first year in charge of the team and by Christmas it looked like we’d be writing the season off as a learning experience. After a decent start we’d collapsed in December, picking up a 3 measly points from a possible 15. The championship had gone – and probably to Everton. That felt even more likely after they defeated us 2-0 at Anfield at the end of February. I was on the Kop that day as thousands of Evertonians went ballistic around me, convinced that the title would be staying their side of Stanley Park.

But in March we suddenly started to put together a fantastic run. Molby and Whelan began to play dreamy football and Ian Rush clearly decided it was time to let Lineker know who really was the best centre forward in Europe. We were to drop 1 point out of the last 33 available.

Everton were doing pretty well too but they weren’t quite as relentless as we were and by the last week of April they were 2 points behind, although with a crucial game in hand. In other words they were still masters of their own destiny. They also had three easy games to come – two of them at Goodison. It was important they lost one of them.

On the night of 30th April we were at Leicester. I was a post-graduate student in Oxford at the time and it had been my intention to get up to Filbert Street for this evening kick-off. But work got in the way and by the time I’d escaped there was no chance of me getting to Leicester before half time. I went to see Oxford United instead. Why? Because that’s where Everton were playing their last away game of the season. It’s unusual to see both Liverpool and Everton playing away on the same day but that’s the way it was on that Wednesday at the end of April. In those days there was no way of watching the Liverpool game live on the telly and the idea of listening to the match on the radio (where the crowd always tells you what’s happened before the bloody commentator) was simply not a choice I could make. Nerves wouldn’t stand it. So I bit the bullet and decided to team up with a mate, climb up Headington Hill and go to the Manor Ground. Maybe I could influence things.

Oxford were a plucky team. In John Aldridge and Ray Houghton they had two fine young players, who Kenny would go on to nick. But they were basically fodder to the likes of Everton. A couple of weeks previously we’d hammered them 6-0 at Anfield. Nor was the Manor Ground, which was made of meccano and bits of string, exactly a forbidding place to visit – despite the fact that the famous slope could sometimes introduce a ‘crazy-golf’ element to a game. My hope was that Oxford would keep the score respectable and therefore hand the Reds an advantage if the title came down to goal difference. Certainly the massed Evertonians in the open end gave the impression that the three points had already been marked up. They were making a hell of a racket inside the little suburban ground. The only question was how many they’d score.

I was in a small paddock under the main stand with my mate Simon and you could see that the home support was already beaten before the game began. Oxford needed the points to avoid the drop but no one was confident they’d be getting them. Not with Lineker and Sharp on such a hot streak. “We’ve had a nice season in the top flight” one bloke said. “We won’t get there again, but never mind”. Another fella started explaining to me why, actually, it was more exciting being in the Second Division than the First. “Oxford don’t really belong in the top division which is why I don’t mind seeing them lose tonight”. The fatalism really was depressing to see.

Inevitably the game was a one-sided affair. How the Oxford goal kept intact I’ve no idea. The siege was pretty much continuous, especially after half-time when Everton started to play downhill.  During the half-time break I’d learnt that Liverpool were two-up at Leicester and this settled my nerves and made me decent company for a while. But before long I quickly became a snarling and sarcastic presence again. At some point early in the second half Howard Kendall put Adrian Heath on and turned ‘all-out attack’ into ‘supercharged all-out attack’. Oxford had old-school defenders – men shaped more like cattle than men. The most mobile were like Hereford bulls, the least mobile like huge sides of beef hanging from butchers’ hooks attached to the crossbar. But somehow these creatures did the trick. Corners were defended by a steamy bovine mass. Goal-bound shots made a thudding noise as they smashed into the meat. By 75 minutes it began to dawn on the home-crowd that Oxford might not concede.

But of course it was better than that. With a few minutes to go a small, stocky, curly-haired Oxford midfielder, whose name has long gone, sent a scything shot through the Everton defence and into the corner of the net. Perhaps it was the only shot Oxford had that night. I rather think it was. But it was the one that won the game. No goal not belonging to Liverpool has ever been celebrated by me as much as that one (not even that endless assembly-line of Barcelona goals scored against Man Utd in the European cup). The supporters around me, apathy long gone now, were in various states of hysteria. A solitary Everton fan, who I’d not noticed before, was on his knees, his face lifted to the starry heavens, his throat gulping down huge mouthfuls of night air. I swear you could hear him sobbing even above the cacophony. The injustice was indeed great. His team ought to have won that night 10 or 11 – nil. Possibly 12. Instead they’d lost.

And we’d won at Leicester.

That meant we were 5 points ahead of Everton, having played one more. Our last game was at Stamford Bridge. They were at home to Southampton, with West Ham at Goodison to come. To be sure of winning the Title we needed to defeat Chelsea away from home.

This game I was determined to get to. It wasn’t straightforward though. In those days I played Saturday football in Oxfordshire and we had an important semi-final cup game against a team from Thame. My plan was to play the match, get a lift to the M40 after the game from my best pal Tim, and then hitch the 40 miles or so into London. That would have been a simple enough thing if the game had ended after 90 minutes but as luck would have it there were no goals and we had to go to extra-time.  Deep into the extra half-hour I went to cut out a cross and headed straight into my own goal. I wouldn’t quite put it on a level with Sandy Brown’s famous effort in the Derby, but the thing didn’t half make a noise when it hit the net. That was that. The winner. Scored by me. For the opposition. Tim still thinks I did this on purpose in order to avoid the extra ten minutes involved in taking penalties – something I’m now happy to admit to since gross incompetence always seems worse to me than disloyalty. But it’s not true. It was crap defending from a very tired young man. And credit to Tim – he still dropped me off by the M40.

I must have got a ride very quickly since I was on the King’s Road at about 2.15. After a swift pint where I got talking to a scouser with a big tash called John who was living in Philadelphia and who’d come back just for this match, we headed down to the Bridge. Those who were there that day will remember the enormous queues. The game was ‘pay on the gate’, which was not unusual in those days, and predictably - given how the championship race was poised – it had inspired thousands of Liverpool supporters to travel. The excitement was intense: a bit of a throw back to earlier times in fact. I’d been at the Notts County game a couple of years before when Joe Fagan had won his title and although there were lots of Reds in the ground the whole event seemed anti-climactic – as if we were all a little bit jaded from winning the title every year (so you see we suffered even in the glory years). This was different though. It was Liverpool or Everton for the league. And whoever won the league would probably, so we all thought, go on to win the Cup too.

Chelsea’s a bit of shit ground now, but back in 1986 it was even shitter. The place was a vast and crumbling bowl with a cinder track around the pitch and the big white-elephant triple-decker stand running along one side – a constant reminder to Chelsea fans of how the club’s deluded aspirations had run miles ahead of their ability to deliver on the pitch. Ken Bates had fortified the terraces, electrified its fences and generally let the place fall into an ugly slum – an eloquent expression of his contempt for all football fans, particularly his own club’s. I’d been there several times and I hated it. Part of this, admittedly, was because we generally had a thin time at the Bridge, often getting beaten – and sometimes quite heavily. I’d seen a fair few of those encounters on sandy, bumpy pitches and with a home-crowd that was hardly distinguishable from a caucus meeting of the National Front. They were there that afternoon, sitting in the East Stand now rather than standing in the Shed, making Nazi salutes, waving credit cards, singing songs about how wonderful Maggie Thatcher was and making monkey noises whenever Paul Canoville – their own player – touched the ball.

Not that we would hear much from the Right-Wing goons that afternoon. They were badly outnumbered. The big swoop of the away terrace had been sectioned off into about 8 cages. Normally, we’d fill perhaps 2 of these, but on this day we filled them all. The total attendance was, I think, about 49,000 and perhaps 15,000 to 20,000 of those came from Liverpool. I stood with my new friend John high on the right watching with amazement as more and more travelling fans filled the big expanse of crumbling terrace. At some point before the match a large Irish tricolour was hoisted behind our goal – a goad I suppose to the Ulster red hands being fluttered by the Chelsea fans. But it almost triggered internecine war -  several outraged Orangeman trying to clamber into the neighbouring cage to bring the offending flag down.

But that was a minor blip. We were absolutely at one that day, focused on bringing our boys home – although hundreds of transistor radios pressed to hundreds of ears kept us abreast of what was happening at Goodison too.

We started well. With the boys attacking the goal we were massed behind it was one of those great occasions when the crowd and the team became a single entity. Ian Rush flashed a header just over the bar, Kenny poked one wide, and a Jim Beglin shot appeared to have crossed the line before a Chelsea defender swept it away. Great pressure. But no goals.

“Well the Saints may do us a favour” a voice said. “They’re 3-0 down mate!” “Four!” someone shouted. “It’s Five now”. This was after about 20 minutes.  Goals at Goodison were going in, it seemed, every 25 seconds or so. “Jesus Christ”.

Not to worry though. Whelan attacked a ball in the air that he had no right to win (has there ever been a braver player than Whelan for Liverpool?) and the ball looped into the box where Kenny was loitering at the far post. “Gooooaaaaal” we all shouted, because it was Kenny. Then Kenny put the ball in the net.

That was as good as it got. Did we have another attack? I can’t remember one. The whole thing became scrappy and disorganized, just the way Chelsea liked it. In the second half they mounted an assault on our goal. It wasn’t pretty. How could it be pretty when Kerry Dixon was the focus of their attack? But it needed strong Liverpool defending to beat the ball away. Gillespie, I remember, was fantastic. Only once did David Speedie – a real talent on his day – escape his shackles and probably he ought to have equalized. But his shot screwed past the near post and the legions behind the goal began to wind up for the celebrations. Everton, meanwhile, had scored a 6th but I was getting the feeling that it wouldn’t matter. For the last five minutes the ball spent more time in the stands and on the greyhound track than it did on the field. It wasn’t pretty but Kenny had worked out that the home club’s (typically mean) lack of ball boys made hoofing the ball onto the cinders a winning tactic. So that’s what we did.

The Chelsea racists, meanwhile, were treated to some football songs. This was the heyday of ‘Scouser Tommy’ and now that song was belted out into the west London sky. It was always nice singing it against Chelsea since during the war their fathers had been on the German side. When the final whistle came and the Liverpool team broke into a sequence of running high fives. There was real jubilation. It wasn’t just that those players had survived 45 minutes of intense Chelsea pressure. They’d picked themselves up after the Derby defeat at Anfield and won ten and drawn one of the remaining eleven games. It was the sort of run that only Liverpool could make in those days. You saw the finishing line and you speeded up while others faltered. That’s the way we did it. We were worthy champions.             

The police kept us in the ground for 45 minutes or so after. I was burning for a celebratory pint, we all were, but even without one a mass party broke out behind the goal. A deafening chorus of ‘Hand it Over, Everton’ was surely heard in Liverpool. Then the Chelsea DJ put on ‘We are the Champions’ – to keep us sweet I suppose. It’s a naff song but the massed ranks of Red took up the chorus, again and again, and I’ll always associate it with that day. On the way out I remember seeing the television egghead Bamber Gascoigne singing a full-throated ‘Billy Shankly’s Boys’. Everyone saw him because the air was full of cries of ‘Hey Bamber!’ and ‘Starter for Ten!’ For those too young to remember Bamber Gascoigne it would be the equivalent of seeing the school principal smoking crack in the boys' bogs. OK, probably it wasn’t actually Bamber Gascoigne, but I’ve never seen a better doppelganger of anyone in my life – and I don’t expect to. A surreal end to a mad week.

Everton went on to defeat West Ham the following Tuesday, but of course to no avail. We’d pipped them to the Title.  And then, gloriously, unforgettably, we came from behind to defeat them at Wembley in the Cup Final too. Merseyside was truly Red that year.

Outside the ground there was nothing but Liverpool fans – and therefore none of the running battles outside Fulham Broadway that usually happened when we came to the Bridge. I went for a pint or two with John, where we talked – as Liverpool fans often do at moments like this – about how the present connected with the past and how the future would surely involve further links in an endless chain of triumph and joy. Eventually I felt the effects of an exhausting and food-less day catch up with me and we said our goodbyes. I never saw him again. But I'll never forget him. Probably he’s still living in Philly. Certainly he’s still a die-hard Red. I wish him well.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar #09: Chelsea 0 v 1 Liverpool 3rd May 1986
« Reply #1 on: December 9, 2013, 12:00:29 am »
Terrific write up from Yorky. Great match and great memories.
Yep.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #2 on: December 9, 2013, 12:31:23 pm »
Terrific stuff Yorky.

I was in plaster for the game. I'd crushed my achilles tendon watching the away leg at Juve [long story]. So we were last out of the main stand. I stood waving my crutches to everyone as they left before finally hobbling out with the most inane satisfied grin I've ever sported.

;D 

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3 on: December 9, 2013, 12:39:58 pm »
Superb Yorky! It's funny what you remember. Back then I was 7 so don't remember the day to day stress of working out all the permutations etc. I remember my Mum being out and my Dad having the radio on for that Leicester game (coupled with Oxford/Everton) but I had no idea how tense and important those results were.

I also remember seeing the news of our win at Chelsea coming through on Final Score before being taken to the Mayday fair to celebrate! Too much candy floss and too many rides resulted in me throwing up pink vomit on the journey home. Happy days! :D

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 9, 2013, 01:10:58 pm »
Brilliant read, thanks yorky.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #5 on: December 9, 2013, 01:12:34 pm »
brilliant

loving these stories

great how you met with someone just totally random and create some great memories
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #6 on: December 9, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »
Nice one, Yorky. Love the own goal!

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #7 on: December 9, 2013, 06:05:29 pm »
Blimey Yorky, it's now dawned why you don't write in the Auld Arses thread - you're just a youngster!

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed that, not least as a reminder of why my hatred of Chelsea as a club pre-dates its purchase by Putin's mate. That stark political and cultural difference should never be underestimated.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 9, 2013, 06:16:58 pm »
Storytelling at its finest.

Thanks Yorky.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 9, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
Remembering listen to this on the radio at my gran's. Would have been about 12 1/2 at the time. So magical, Kenny manager and player scores the goal that wins us the league, as Roy of the Rovers as you can get.
God I love that man, but that is for another thread...
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

royhendo

« Reply #10 on: December 9, 2013, 10:08:00 pm »
Fantastic. Thank you. :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 9, 2013, 11:06:17 pm »
That was wonderful yorky mate. It was an amazing year with a significant achievement.

I hope our youngsters can appreciate the brilliance of the article.

Little did we know then that we'd miss out marginally on two more doubles before a draught more painful than than Dry January.

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 12:24:42 am »
Just catching up on these.  Brilliant read!

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:06:14 am »
Superb this.

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:54:11 am »
Awesome read, could feel the passion
Doubters to Believers

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 12:51:29 pm »
An amazing day. Remember being kept in for what seemed about two hours or so and not caring as we sang our hearts out.

Goosebumps even to this day remembering it - Kenny scoring our end as well. Just can't ever fully describe the feelings I got when I saw that happen. Happy days indeed.
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 12:59:51 pm »
Wonderful stuff as always, Yorky. I particularly love this bit: "Oxford had old-school defenders – men shaped more like cattle than men. The most mobile were like Hereford bulls, the least mobile like huge sides of beef hanging from butchers’ hooks attached to the crossbar. But somehow these creatures did the trick. Corners were defended by a steamy bovine mass. Goal-bound shots made a thudding noise as they smashed into the meat."

I was at the final Leicester game that you mention. What an amazing season that was. But I'm buggered if I can remember any of it in the graphic detail that you can. It's like you had a video camera on you all the time. A historian's head for detail, no doubt, and all marshalled to paint the big picture. Great stuff - it brings it all back so vividly. Thanks!  :)

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:44 pm »
Remember the first half of the 85-86 season when there was no football on TV live or highlights a complete blackout, you had to actually go to the games to see what the game was like [sadly i was too young to go to the games on my own until season 88-89], so i only recall the final league game at Chelsea & the Cup Final that season, next win at Chelsea after that game was 2004.

I think the turning point that season was the injury Southall suffered when playing for Wales the injury put him out for the rest of that season, then cue our form in the run in. Those were good days both Merseyside teams challenging for the title & other trophies.
#Sausages

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 04:14:05 pm »
Remember the first half of the 85-86 season when there was no football on TV live or highlights a complete blackout, you had to actually go to the games to see what the game was like [sadly i was too young to go to the games on my own until season 88-89], so i only recall the final league game at Chelsea & the Cup Final that season, next win at Chelsea after that game was 2004.

I think we beat Chelsea 5-2 in the late 80's early 90's in the era of Aldridge and Houghton.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 04:19:37 pm »
We went to the bridge
We needed a win
And Kenny came up with a gem
Its 16, it's beautiful
And it our's, all ours, all ours.

Happy days. Then a week later back down in dat der lundun......
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:00 pm »
I think we beat Chelsea 5-2 in the late 80's early 90's in the era of Aldridge and Houghton.
Was 88/89ish I think, maybe the season after. I was there in the away end as a youngster. Kerry Dixon scored in injury time to make it 5-2 and the Chelsea fans booed the goal ;D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:06 pm »

Indeed we did, in season 89-90 http://www.liverweb.org.uk/report.asp?rec_id=4825 so 1 win from that game in 86 until 2004 at Stamford Bridge.
#Sausages

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 05:24:35 pm »
Superb this.

Yep - great read yorky, thanks. I'm hopeless at remembering details like this, partly because I had lost my passion after Heysel,and partly because I was studying for my A levels that year. I do remember that the '86 World Cup started in late May and kick off times clashed badly with my revision timetable that summer.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »
5 2 December 89. beardsley rush2 houghton. Mcmahon

durie and Dixon for them

also Jan molby missed a penalty

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »
5 2 December 89. beardsley rush2 houghton. Mcmahon

durie and Dixon for them

also Jan molby missed a penalty

One of only three he missed for us (out of 45).

All the misses were saved. Dave Beasant in this 1989 match at Stamford Bridge, Martin Hodge (Sheffield Wednesday) and Paul Barron (Queens Park Rangers) both at Anfield in 1986.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 10:25:41 pm »
One of only three he missed for us (out of 45).

All the misses were saved. Dave Beasant in this 1989 match at Stamford Bridge, Martin Hodge (Sheffield Wednesday) and Paul Barron (Queens Park Rangers) both at Anfield in 1986.
kriss me ol mucker how the hell are you. Happy Christmas

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 10:33:31 pm »
kriss me ol mucker how the hell are you. Happy Christmas

Doing alright thank you, HR that was. Everyone seeme to be changing their name! Perhaps I should become krissimas ? ;)

A very happy and peaceful Christmas to you and yours anyway  :).

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2013, 12:40:10 am »
First Class that.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 11:18:57 am »
Doing alright thank you, HR that was. Everyone seeme to be changing their name! Perhaps I should become krissimas ? ;)

A very happy and peaceful Christmas to you and yours anyway  :).
thanks mate you too, yeah the names changes are nuts haha

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 02:19:05 am »
Brilliant mate, enjoyed reading that!

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2013, 12:01:37 am »
Bump for Christmas
Yep.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 10:54:16 pm »
I keep on stumbling upon these gems of posts. I really can't believe I haven't read this before  :o

I recall being skint but just about getting the money to book on the coach for this game. There was an outrageous number of Reds in the away end and some great singing at the end. Although, for most of the game I recall being too nervous to sing.

Remember, these were the days of Merseyside dominance of the 1st Division. To local lads, the joy of winning the league was DOUBLE what you would have felt last year [if we had won the league] because it stopped Everton winning it!!

The one thing I'd add from the OP was the fate of the Scottish title that day. Since the Chelsea/ Rangers love in of '85 at Anfield, I'd been a Hearts fan [ previously a Rangers fan but then Hearts became my fave Scottish team and all that ].

All Hearts needed to do that day was not lose to Dundee. The form guide said that wouldn't happen. It did 2-0. Ah but, even if they lose, Hearts will still win the league provided Celtic don't win by [I think] 6! Guess what, they did [this ranks with that Argentina win in the '78 World Cup against Peru, as one of the World's great conspiracy theories].

I still remember being shocked when they said these scores as we were locked in at the end.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 11:21:18 pm »
Who did Celtic beat?

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 08:29:02 am »
St mirren

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #34 on: August 4, 2014, 02:48:38 pm »
Yorky, I sincerely hope that you are at least considering writing a book about your years following Liverpool. I'd be first in line for that beauty. This period in particular would make for an incredible narrative. I'm proud that you are one of us.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #35 on: May 5, 2015, 11:05:20 pm »
Those who don't remember the old Stamford Bridge it was like a mini version of the old Wembley without the twin towers, but shitter than the old Wembley, & even the old Wembley was a shithole, found it amusing was the only stadium that had cars parked behind the goal in front of the stands.

Jockey himself says that was the best title he's won, we only won it 4.45pm that afternoon.
#Sausages

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:00 pm »
That's a fantastic post Yorky.

One I can associate a lot of things with too,spot on about Whelan-I never could get my head around some of the shit I often saw directed his way,what a talent he was.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 09:48:35 am »
what an absolutely brilliant post

id forgotten id read this before

thanks again. you have no idea how much i enjoyed this