Author Topic: Simon Mignolet  (Read 279326 times)

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
Re: The Simon Mignolet is boss thread.
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:06 pm »
Anyone seriously thinking he should have saved either of their goals is off his rocker.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »
If he plays like that every week fine with me,  :thumbup.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2016, 03:05:10 pm »
I think the introduction of a genuine threat to him, might spur him onto greater things.

Here's hoping.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2016, 03:08:52 pm »
Migs played a big part in taking 3pts,credit to the lad.

Migs has now saved 5/11 pens in the PL,a stat that had me scratching my head a bit.
Its interesting how little research pen takers/opposition coaches have done on Mignolet and pens. Mignolet always dives low and I don't think he has ever saved a pen in the upper half of the goal, including all penalty shootouts. The shootout against Beşiktaş stands out where they nailed 5 out of 5 by putting it high into the net. 

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #124 on: August 16, 2016, 01:30:34 am »
Its interesting how little research pen takers/opposition coaches have done on Mignolet and pens. Mignolet always dives low and I don't think he has ever saved a pen in the upper half of the goal, including all penalty shootouts. The shootout against Beşiktaş stands out where they nailed 5 out of 5 by putting it high into the net. 

It's easy to tell a player to just hit it high into the net. It's more difficult to actually execute it properly under pressure, however, and there is a much bigger chance of missing the target altogether and looking like a right tit.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #125 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:51 am »
Can someone please post a gif of his punch in the 15th minute? I can't believe I'm the only one impressed by that... He has never shown such commanding performance before.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #126 on: August 16, 2016, 03:42:03 pm »
Can someone please post a gif of his punch in the 15th minute? I can't believe I'm the only one impressed by that... He has never shown such commanding performance before.

Yorky talks about it specifically in his round table post!

Offline Scouse_12

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2016, 03:56:13 pm »
Been saying it time and time again for months. He just isn't good enough for the club and our aspirations.
This isn't knee jerk, it's been evident for a while. While I'm not saying any of the goals he conceded were must save, but Liverpool deserve better than him.

5 shots on target, 5 conceded.

Let's look at the goalies who are better than him in the league alone.
Courtois, De Gea, Lloris, Cech, possibly Schmeichel, Forster, possibly Hart though not sure.

There's a minimum of 5-6 goalies in our league alone that are so much better than him, what does it say about our ambition if we stick with him? And why would we not have at least tried to look elsewhere?
The fact that we offered him a 5 year deal.. I still don't understand what that was for.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2016, 03:58:19 pm »
Been saying it time and time again for months. He just isn't good enough for the club and our aspirations.
This isn't knee jerk, it's been evident for a while. While I'm not saying any of the goals he conceded were must save, but Liverpool deserve better than him.

Let's look at the goalies who are better than him in the league alone.
Courtois, De Gea, Lloris, Cech, possibly Schmeichel, Forster, possibly Hart though not sure.

There's a minimum of 5-6 goalies in our league alone that are so much better than him, what does it say about our ambition if we stick with him? And why would we not have at least tried to look elsewhere?
The fact that we offered him a 5 year deal.. I still don't understand what that was for.

You're being very kind, even the back up at the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea is lightyears ahead of him. I got warned yesterday for saying he doesn't bring anything positive to the pitch at the moment so wont comment more but yes, he needs replacing bigtime and not just as the number 1.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2016, 04:15:13 pm »
We signed two new goalies this summer, one of which is a young up-and-coming big talent type German and likely to be intended as our 1st choice soon enough. Unfortunately he's injured at the moment.

Cheers.

Online RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: August 22, 2016, 01:26:01 am »

Personally I can't wait for Karius to come in, but I do think the stat above is a bit disingenuous. (Actually it's downright wrong, unless you think Walcott's penalty was going to go wide...)

Many shots on target simply aren't savable. We've all seen games where Liverpool have very few shots on target, they just all go in. Look at those goals we scored against Arsenal - I don't think anyone saves any of them.

Mignolet has a disappointingly low save percentage, but I think the bigger issue is the uncertainty he spreads through a defence. Is he coming for this one or isn't he?

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: August 22, 2016, 01:41:45 am »
I don't know know if any of the 5 goals could have been saved - apart from maybe Walcott's low drive into the corner and that would have required getting lucky with a fingertip touch (which maybe Gray's goal would be the same).

However I'm still in agreement that he's not the keeper for us.

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #132 on: August 22, 2016, 02:12:02 am »
Last season:
"We need a new #1, Simon would make a good backup".

This summer:
Liverpool signs Loris Karius.

Before start of season:
Karius gets injured.

Two games into the season:
Mignolet plays his role as backup as wished.
Moan.

Those thinking we'd sign a Courtois or De Gea to sit on the bench needs to wake up. Soon.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 03:20:56 am by Sheev-Palpatine »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #133 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:26 am »
Personally I can't wait for Karius to come in, but I do think the stat above is a bit disingenuous. (Actually it's downright wrong, unless you think Walcott's penalty was going to go wide...)

Many shots on target simply aren't savable. We've all seen games where Liverpool have very few shots on target, they just all go in. Look at those goals we scored against Arsenal - I don't think anyone saves any of them.

Mignolet has a disappointingly low save percentage, but I think the bigger issue is the uncertainty he spreads through a defence. Is he coming for this one or isn't he?

We've been unlucky with the goals we've conceded so far this season. Deflections, offsides and quality finishes. That isn't to say our crappy defending hasn't contributed hugely to a number of the goals scored (Walcott, Ox, both Burnley goals), but it's not as if every shot (or any shot) has gone straight through Mignolet's fingers either.

I expect things will improve this season when Karius, Matip and Sakho come in. Seriously, 3 out of our back 5 haven't played a minute yet.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: August 22, 2016, 06:18:32 am »

I can't agree with you on this at all. Over the 2 games this season, you can make a case for statistical variance affecting his save percentage. But in the entirety of last season, he had the second worst save percentage among all first choice keepers. Only Brad Guzan was worse. Mignolet isn't even good enough to be second choice at liverpool.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: August 22, 2016, 07:08:03 am »

Another poster who has erased his penalty from the records to push an agenda.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Frizzo

• Having a Bad Hair Life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: August 23, 2016, 05:56:56 am »
I can't agree with you on this at all. Over the 2 games this season, you can make a case for statistical variance affecting his save percentage. But in the entirety of last season, he had the second worst save percentage among all first choice keepers. Only Brad Guzan was worse. Mignolet isn't even good enough to be second choice at liverpool.

How good is your statistics knowledge?

You absolutely can't look at shot percentage over a season and use that information with any statistical certainty. The sheer discrepancy in the amount and difficulty of shots each keeper faces is huge. And even the total number of shots taken assuming all shots are equal is probably not statistically significant.

I'm not making a claim one way or the other, just that using terms like 'statistical variance' might make you sound like you know what you're talking about, but unless you back it up with an analysis with a significance level and fucking p values...it's pointless.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:58:41 am by Frizzo »

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: August 23, 2016, 05:57:40 am »

What about the one that was toe poked at him early in the game?

Offline SwissV

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: August 23, 2016, 07:41:49 am »

No quite simply you are another poster who hasnt backed up his facts. When Mignolet saved that penalty the score was 0-0. We conceded 3 against Arsenal and 2 against Burnley. That is 5 goals conceded since Mignolet saved the penalty. Coincidentally those are the last 5 shots on target Liverpool have conceded.

Therefore his point is correct. The last 5 shots on target we have conceded have gone in.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:43:35 am by SwissV »
Origi will be our Lawendowski , quote me

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: August 23, 2016, 03:28:57 pm »
No quite simply you are another poster who hasnt backed up his facts. When Mignolet saved that penalty the score was 0-0. We conceded 3 against Arsenal and 2 against Burnley. That is 5 goals conceded since Mignolet saved the penalty. Coincidentally those are the last 5 shots on target Liverpool have conceded.

Therefore his point is correct. The last 5 shots on target we have conceded have gone in.

None of which he would be expected to save.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #140 on: August 23, 2016, 03:33:25 pm »
The last 5 shots on target we have conceded have gone in.

Pretty pointless fact. Were any easy to save? What did our defence do to prevent the shots?

Unless the keeper is letting in soft goals then the whole team are partly to blame for allowing shots on target.
#JFT97

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #141 on: August 23, 2016, 03:35:12 pm »
Pretty pointless fact. Were any easy to save? What did our defence do to prevent the shots?

Unless the keeper is letting in soft goals then the whole team are partly to blame for allowing shots on target.

He had the 19th worst save percentage in the league last season as well. It's not coincidence when your keeper constantly 'can't do anything about it'
Believe

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #142 on: August 23, 2016, 04:01:43 pm »
The title of this thread is an embarrassing indictment of our apparent acceptance of not just mediocrity - but players that would struggle to make the first 11 of relegation fodder sides.

Simon Mignolet is not boss.

He is the least reliable goalkeeper we have had in my lifetime.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: August 23, 2016, 04:03:44 pm »
The title of this thread is an embarrassing indictment of our apparent acceptance of not just mediocrity - but players that would struggle to make the first 11 of relegation fodder sides.

Simon Mignolet is not boss.

He is the least reliable goalkeeper we have had in my lifetime.

You're not old enough to remember David James then? Or Westerveld?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #144 on: August 23, 2016, 04:06:59 pm »
You're not old enough to remember David James then? Or Westerveld?

Or Friedel who went on to be very decent but was an absolute liability at times for us.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: August 23, 2016, 04:13:51 pm »
Mignolet saves (almost literally) nothing. 99% of absolutely everything goes past him. The stats sheets always read like "3 shots on target, 3 goals" for the opposition. It doesn't matter which ones were saveable or which ones weren't because they all go past him anyway. Maybe the single most useless goalkeeper we've ever had, including Calamity James.

His confidence is also rock bottom, which doesn't help. And yeah, yeah, "If everyone got behind him maybe he would improve"... that's just never going to happen. To be honest, he's just awful. If he wants to re-discover his confidence then I think it's in his interests to find a new club. When Karius becomes available for selection, I'm positive that Mignolet's only run outs will be in cup matches, even though there's a notion currently that there might be "competition" between him and Karius for the spot. We only have a few more matches to "survive" until then, so it's not a massive problem.

And I know that all sounds harsh but I do think it's true. And he's been like this for a long long time.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:15:32 pm by lessthanmatt »
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: August 23, 2016, 04:13:52 pm »
None of which he would be expected to save.

God forbid he ever makes a great save to help us out though! We have to watch Utd play shit every week and win because De Gea saves everything then they fluke a goal meanwhile even if we defend well we can still concede 2 or 3 as the keeper cant save any shots! It's horrible. Karius cant come back quick enough. Can anyone name a positive attribute he brings to the team? And I'll be generous and count penalty saves even though we'll probably only get 3 or 4 against us in a season meaning it's pretty irrelevant anyway.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 04:15:28 pm by pyroparty »

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #147 on: August 23, 2016, 04:35:38 pm »
God forbid he ever makes a great save to help us out though! We have to watch Utd play shit every week and win because De Gea saves everything then they fluke a goal meanwhile even if we defend well we can still concede 2 or 3 as the keeper cant save any shots! It's horrible. Karius cant come back quick enough. Can anyone name a positive attribute he brings to the team? And I'll be generous and count penalty saves even though we'll probably only get 3 or 4 against us in a season meaning it's pretty irrelevant anyway.

Mignolet 'a saves kept us in plenty of games over the years.
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: August 23, 2016, 04:41:01 pm »

Yeah he had a good spell once.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #149 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:22 pm »

Well done for doing his job on the odd occasion.
Believe

Offline ShrewKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:07 pm »
My problem with Mignolet is he'll make four or five top saves, and then concede an absolute howler. He's just far too inconsistent and coupled with his lack of ability to command his box, he is a bottom half premier league keeper at best.

Although, watch him have a great game tonight, and all will be forgiven until next week  ;D

Offline Halewooder

• Anny Roader
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2016, 06:16:35 pm »

And he's also cost us a few as well. Like others have said, nowhere near good enough for a top 10 team, never mind us.

Offline jboy14

• Kopite
« Reply #152 on: August 23, 2016, 06:20:57 pm »
Please change the title of this thread.

Its very misleading.
Of all the unimportant things in life, football is the most important.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: August 23, 2016, 06:24:37 pm »
Please change the title ofLOCK this thread.

Its very misleading fucking redundant.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: August 23, 2016, 06:32:51 pm »

Yeah, I know individual player threads were binned off for a while and I guess this is the reason why. There's only so many ways in calling a player shit without saying much else.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #155 on: August 23, 2016, 06:43:17 pm »
So many classless c*nts. We are done here.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:08 am »
He's on Goals on Sunday.
Keep it nice  >:(   ;)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2016, 11:25:46 am »
It was a shame Ben Shepard couldn't be spontaneous there, he stuck to the questions rather than exploring Simon's answers. Particularly when he said everything has changed since Klopp came. I was desperate for him to ask for examples.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2016, 11:29:27 am »
He wasnt at fault for the goal yesterday, explained that he was protecting the far post as thats where you expect aleft footer to put it. I actually think Rose scuffed his shot. Very unlucky. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Frizzo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2016, 01:50:56 pm »
Wonderful effort to start the season from Simon! Looks like the pending competition has done him well. Hopefully if and when Karius does come in he shines as well!

For all the haters, I have a fun game. Watch all of the goals across all of the games from Saturday and ask yourself "Which of these goals would I blame Mignolet for of it was him in goal?"

The answer, if you're being honest, is literally all of them...except maybe the penalties (though I've seen him being blamed for not saving enough penalties in shootouts before).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk