Author Topic: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.  (Read 44794 times)

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:14 pm »
Anyone caught this yet? New drama from FX in the US. About two Russian spies posing as a couple in suburban America.

Thought the pilot was excellent - really interesting central pairing, decent action too.

The FBI agent moving in across the road was clunky, but that's pretty common with pilots.

ITV have bought the rights, but no word on when it's debuting.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:03:04 pm by SP »

Offline Vork+The Knights of Good

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Macklin, you son of a bitch.
Re: The Americans
« Reply #1 on: February 7, 2013, 08:26:20 pm »
Was just about to come in here and start a topic on this. Absolutely phenomenal show. Easily the best new show of the year and probably the best since Homeland debuted. Matthew Rhys, a Welshman btw, is ridiculously good in this show.

I think the FBI agent as neighbor device serves as a great parallel between the two families. Not too big on it in terms of tension which is kinda cliched, but overall I think it serves a strong purpose.

Can't recommend this show highly enough. If you like Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. you will most likely love this show.
Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 8, 2013, 01:22:51 am »
Was just about to come in here and start a topic on this. Absolutely phenomenal show. Easily the best new show of the year and probably the best since Homeland debuted. Matthew Rhys, a Welshman btw, is ridiculously good in this show.

I think the FBI agent as neighbor device serves as a great parallel between the two families. Not too big on it in terms of tension which is kinda cliched, but overall I think it serves a strong purpose.

Can't recommend this show highly enough. If you like Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. you will most likely love this show.

Very strong second episode. Shows the lengths they're willing to go to in order to get the job done, even if they're disgusted with their own actions.

The introduction of the FBI agent was a bit clunky, but it should be good for the show going forward. Just as long as there isn't too many close shaves between the neighbours - would rather see Stan kept largely separate and used to show the US effort to stop the Soviets. I did like that he was immediately suspicious of them because of their car. Too often foils are painted as stupid, ignorant to what is in front of them.

Keri Russell is good in the role, but Matthew Rhys is knocking it out of the park.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 8, 2013, 01:50:47 am »
Enjoyed the first episode and wondered whether the second would hold up. It did. it doesn't seem to have the same realism as a Mad Men or a Breaking Bad and I thought this might cause it to become too lightweight, but the writing is tight and there seem to be multiple directions the plot could go. I think Stan's FBI character will be used to keep an edge to their cover in the US, and maybe also to run a parallel police perspective storyline as in the Wire?

Keri Russell is good in the role, but Matthew Rhys is knocking it out of the park.

Totally agree with this. Didn't think he was the right fit for the role at first, but now I can't think of anyone else who could do it better.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #4 on: February 8, 2013, 04:01:58 am »
Do they speak Russian to one another or Russian-accented English?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 8, 2013, 04:22:14 am »
Do they speak Russian to one another or Russian-accented English?

Neither. Perfect (well, American) English.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #6 on: February 8, 2013, 01:12:04 pm »
Agreed with all the points made here. Second episode was very good again and I think it will keep being good as long as they keep that tone.
And yes indeed, Matthew Rhys is very very good in his role.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Online jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #7 on: February 8, 2013, 01:50:34 pm »
Looks like there are 13 episodes scheduled then?  Will definitely be watching this.

Should people be using spoilers ahead of the UK release or are we in the modern world, now?

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 8, 2013, 01:56:32 pm »
This has been great so far. My favorite new show.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 8, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
Looks like there are 13 episodes scheduled then?  Will definitely be watching this.

Should people be using spoilers ahead of the UK release or are we in the modern world, now?

Definitely should be using spoilers. Don't think anyone's dropped any real spoliers yet, though, so the first few posts are safe to read.

In all our appreciation of Matthew Rhys (who really is phenomenal), I think Keri Russell's performance has been lost. She's been surprisingly good (not that she's a bad actress, but it did seem an odd role for her). Kudos, though, to the casting director who watched "Felicity" and thought "there's a cold-blooded sleeper KGB agent in there" because he/she nailed it. She's a really great foil to Rhys' character.
Justice For The 96

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #10 on: February 9, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »
Advert on Canadian TV looked incredibly bad, surprised to see this thread based on that. Will give it a go then.
:D

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 9, 2013, 09:38:46 pm »
I watched the pilot last night, thought it was brilliant.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »
Renewed for a second season.

Oh, and episode four is excellent.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »
Renewed for a second season.

Oh, and episode four is excellent.

Saw that. Great news and shows the ratings are commensurate with the critical acclaim which is always great. Really thought that last episode was good, but then again they've all been like that. I thought Keri Russell was great.
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 02:26:39 pm »
Loved it likewise. Also love the fact that they(Elizabeth and Phillip) are different in their stance about America (politically and socially) so far. We have seen it twice so far in the series iirc and really looking forward to see how that will develop further.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 03:34:22 pm »
Neither. Perfect (well, American) English.

I hate that. Plenty of perfectly good Russian actors in the States.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 07:22:54 pm »

But the whole point is that they're supposed to be 'perfect' Americans. The characters are even forbidden from speaking Russian to each other in order to preserve their cover. There may be plenty of good Russian actors in the US, but can they all do flawless (and it would have to be flawless) American accents?

It's only an issue in flashback scenes, which have thus far made up a small portion of the show.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 09:02:16 pm »

Think Barefoot covered this well. It's part of their cover; their own kids don't even know who they really are.
Justice For The 96

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 09:45:15 pm »
But the whole point is that they're supposed to be 'perfect' Americans. The characters are even forbidden from speaking Russian to each other in order to preserve their cover. There may be plenty of good Russian actors in the US, but can they all do flawless (and it would have to be flawless) American accents?

It's only an issue in flashback scenes, which have thus far made up a small portion of the show.

Absolutely. I've only been here a decade and I have an indistinguishable accent, and though I'm a shit actor, there are plenty of young Russian Americans who can certainly speak both languages like natives. The largest recent waves of Russian immigration to the States were in the early 90s, which would put many right in that age bracket.

I think my gripe is less with this series and more with Hollywood's attitude to Russian actors in general. It gets very tired to hear young language brutalized time after time by Americans. 24 was a prime example.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 10:09:14 pm »
Absolutely. I've only been here a decade and I have an indistinguishable accent, and though I'm a shit actor, there are plenty of young Russian Americans who can certainly speak both languages like natives. The largest recent waves of Russian immigration to the States were in the early 90s, which would put many right in that age bracket.

I think my gripe is less with this series and more with Hollywood's attitude to Russian actors in general. It gets very tired to hear young language brutalized time after time by Americans. 24 was a prime example.

That's true, but if the requirement is having a perfect American accent then shouldn't the remit be getting the best actor who fits such a criterion? Isn't an actor's job to convince us they're something they're not, whether that be an accent, career, or sexual orientation? I don't know about any Russian actors per se, but I know that Matthew Rhys (neither Russian nor American) is absolutely crushing this role. He's phenomenal which is really all that should matter.
Justice For The 96

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:41 pm »
Well, in the end the series could be a great opportunity for Russian actors, as there's been quite a few scenes so far set in the Soviet embassy in Washington. And as time goes on, we'll get to see more of Philip and Elizabeth's life in Russia, which will need plenty of Russian-speaking actors.

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 06:16:04 pm »
Well, in the end the series could be a great opportunity for Russian actors, as there's been quite a few scenes so far set in the Soviet embassy in Washington. And as time goes on, we'll get to see more of Philip and Elizabeth's life in Russia, which will need plenty of Russian-speaking actors.

Hopefully you're right mate and they won't go the way of 24, where every Wussian willain was played by a Yank.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 3, 2013, 02:24:52 am »
Nina   :lickin
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: March 5, 2013, 01:59:14 am »
Oh this is excellent, if you're on the fence after reading this thread don't be.  It's fantastic, even the Mrs. watches it. 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 8, 2013, 09:53:43 pm »
Keeps getting better. Every week I wonder if they'll fail to live up to the impossibly high standard they've set, but instead they top it. Matthew Rhys is deservedly getting the plaudits, but Keri Russell and Noah Emmerich are simply outstanding. For my money, it's the best show on television right now (and I adore Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Homeland). This show is just special.

Nina   :lickin
x10
Justice For The 96

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #25 on: March 9, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
Hmm it's not like it was bad the latest one. Not at all. There was some significant character development and I was never bored but also for some reason didn't like it that much as the previous ones.
Maybe it was down to fact that
Spoiler
I never bought for even a moment that Phillip and later Elizabeth were abducted by CIA or something and instead it was an "inside" job to see how trustworthy they are. The whole thing took a major share of the episode thus not my great liking of it.
[close]

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #26 on: March 9, 2013, 06:52:01 pm »
I couldn't decide between watching The Americans or House of Cards, chose the latter which I'm enjoying, but heard good things about The Americans
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
Man this show is f*cking awesome. I thought last week's episode was fantastic. The amount of development they've done with Keri Russell's character in a handful of episodes is astounding.

And you can never complain about a nude Annet Mahendru (if you do I propose a stoning).
Justice For The 96

Offline brownie 09

• Long-winded.....but never mind :)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • twitter - brownie09RAWK
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2013, 11:57:17 pm »
started watching this yesterday thanks to RAWK.

Just watched episode 6, its boss. although i called what was happening straight away :)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 06:38:10 pm »
So I haven't posted in here for about month, mainly because I get tired of coming in here and just saying how damn good this show is, but it's the truth.

I'm very confident now in saying that this is the best show currently on tv. I thought so after the first three episodes, but I felt a bit crazy saying it at that point. Now that we're almost finished with a whole season, I have no such qualms. It's the best thing out there.

I would watch a show of nothing but Noah Emmerich's facial expressions while he's being given bad news.
Justice For The 96

Offline Death by Football

• Anny Roader
  • ► JFT96 ◄
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 10:53:59 pm »
Didn't realize Matthew Rhys was a Welshman. Another thing that surprised me about him is that I haven't actually seen him in anything else before the Americans yet he seems oddly familiar for some weird reason. Must just be down to how good he is on the show I guess.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 11:02:35 pm »

It's not just Russian. Dick van Dyke and Don Cheadle. :wave

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: The Americans. Please use spoiler tags.
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 11:03:25 pm »
2 episodes in, and it is looking good.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 11:51:54 pm »
Didn't realise it had its own thread...Im up to episode 11 and it is indeed a cracking series....outside of the big hitters (Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire) its the best US import ive seen for quite a while...the main characters are terrific ..and Nina...by jove!  :P
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 11:54:58 pm »
Didn't realize Matthew Rhys was a Welshman. Another thing that surprised me about him is that I haven't actually seen him in anything else before the Americans yet he seems oddly familiar for some weird reason. Must just be down to how good he is on the show I guess.

Best / most convincing American role by a non-American since Stringer Bell..
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 11:57:48 pm »
It's a great series, but I am disappointed that they haven't used Fleetwood Mac's 'Tusk' again, probably my only complaint.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 12:11:42 am »
i did wonder if this had its own thread.  a masterful piece of TV so far, with very few weak spots as long as you are able to look past the "neighbours" conceit.

it's consistently strongly written and acted, and despite not really having lived in the era it is as strongly evocative of the early 80s as mad men is of the 60s (i've long said that the best character in mad men is the 1960s).

what is it about american shows and british actors.  do they get tax breaks for it or something?

it's also a pleasant change to have the US intelligence agencies chasing after someone who isn't muslim for once...
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2013, 06:18:52 pm »

what is it about american shows and british actors.  do they get tax breaks for it or something?

Ha. Read once an interview from an English actor answering exactly about that and he jokingly replied that they are more cheap.  ;D

Let me add that in many cases they are more talented.

Offline gallden

• bols
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2013, 10:56:08 pm »
Really like everything about this show, they don't over- do the kids either, however I do wonder who watches the kids sometimes, but I get over it quickly.  I love the intro too.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:08 pm »
Really like everything about this show, they don't over- do the kids either, however I do wonder who watches the kids sometimes, but I get over it quickly.  I love the intro too.

;D I ask myself that question at least once every show. I think they just wait until they're asleep and sneak out. Either that or they've got the world's richest babysitter.
Justice For The 96