Author Topic: The History Board  (Read 50856 times)

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
The History Board
« on: October 3, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »
This is the start of The History Board, a repository for all things LFC from 1892 to 1994. We've chosen a cut off point: The game against Norwich which was the Kop's last stand.

If you wish to add something to the board, please post it in the Main Forum where it will attract attention and get replies and mark it for the History Board or report it to the mods and we'll move it over if its worthwhile and appropriate.

We're starting this board off like the Opinion Board so that anyone can reply to existing threads, and as I said above, start threads elsewhere and they will be moved over if warranted.

In the meantime, we're trying to set up a system whereby arl arses who've still got their faculties can post into here (such as Vic's life story) and we're also hoping that the final addition to the new RAWK Writing Team is Wooltonian who will be the Curator of this board and RAWK Historian General. In the meantime enjoy and welcome. We want to get this board to be the place for the young to visit and the old to dwell.

Education, Reflection and Celebration. The History Board.
« Last Edit: November 2, 2012, 10:39:59 pm by hinesy »
Yep.

Offline Theoldkopite

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Survived The Boy's Pen in the 60's.
Re: The History Board
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
This is the start of The History Board, a repository for all things LFC from 1892 to 1994. We've chosen a cut off point: The game against Norwich which was the Kop's last stand.

If you wish to add something to the board, please post it in the Main Forum where it will attract attention and get replies and mark it for the History Board or report it to the mods and we'll move it over if its worthwhile and appropriate.

We're starting this board off like the Opinion Board so that anyone can reply to existing threads, and as I said above, start threads elsewhere and they will be moved over if warranted.

In the meantime, we're trying to set up a system whereby arl arses who've still got their faculties can post into here (such as Vic's life story) and we're also hoping that the final addition to the new RAWK Writing Team is Wooltonian who will be the Curator of this board and RAWK Historian General. In the meantime enjoy and welcome. We want to get this board to be the place for the young to visit and the old to dwell.

Education, Reflection and Celebration. The History Board.

'We ain't got no history.' Oh sorry...back to The Bridge.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2012, 11:09:45 pm »
Tremendous!
Education starts here. A hundred years of glorious history even before this monster that is the premiership began. Eat yer heart out Abu Dhabi and Moscow - you can't manufacture this.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »
Can I say Hinesy this is a great idea and an oasis in a desert of shit these days.
We have had great teams managers and players but also some right funny characters as well.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline monkeyharris

• Best Monkey In Show
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 10:42:19 pm »
Got something fantastic to share with you all here. Mentioned this in the arl arse thread months back but couldn't get it up as I was defeated by the size of the files after I scanned and tried to upload onto here.
Got given a cracking report of the trip to the US in early 60's by a gooner mate of mine who's relative Kurt...(second name escapes me for now) was a big shot in the early days of USA footy and helped organise the trip.
It's an amazing read
Anyone able to help if I could email it over to them in PDF form and post it up here
+6 ticket exchange

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2013, 06:03:55 pm »
Best forum on the internet!
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2013, 07:17:45 pm »
Got something fantastic to share with you all here. Mentioned this in the arl arse thread months back but couldn't get it up as I was defeated by the size of the files after I scanned and tried to upload onto here.
Got given a cracking report of the trip to the US in early 60's by a gooner mate of mine who's relative Kurt...(second name escapes me for now) was a big shot in the early days of USA footy and helped organise the trip.
It's an amazing read
Anyone able to help if I could email it over to them in PDF form and post it up here

Did you ever get that sorted mate.
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 6, 2013, 12:07:17 pm »
It's an amazing read
Did you ever get that sorted mate.

Just seen this

It should be possible to save those pdf's as jpeg's. These can then be hosted say on photobucket etc and then img links back on here to show it all

Let me know if any help needed

Harinder
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: February 6, 2013, 03:28:03 pm »
I think Albie's onto it mate but will get back to you if help is needed :wave
Yep.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 03:28:45 pm »
I think Albie's onto it mate but will get back to you if help is needed :wave

Nice one  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline MONDAVE

• Kemlynite
« Reply #10 on: April 7, 2013, 04:36:29 pm »
" ....Neal against Knuyp.. (Neal scores penalty).. and with such simplicity surely now the European Cup is won.."

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 01:59:21 am »
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2017, 05:36:31 pm »
Hey mods if you're reading, given that we've now gone 5 years since the opening of this board perhaps it's time to further the cutoff point a bit? Perhaps to the cup treble or to Istanbul? :)

My first memory in life is from 1993 and my first memory of a football match (Sweden vs Switzerland) is from 1995 so although the older days are indeed interesting for a lot of us younger ones it'd be fun to have the early 2000's covered in here!
Linudden.

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 12:21:52 pm »
Didn't know where else to post it but found it interesting and hadn't heard before. Mods, please move it if required.
This is basically an interview with Gordon Banks.  - http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42268937

Relevant bit:
Banks was a Leicester City player when England won in 1966 - but the following year with Peter Shilton emerging, the club decided to sell their World Cup winner. Liverpool were rumoured to be interested but would not meet the £50,000 asking price. In the end he joined Stoke and remained there until he retired from professional football in 1973. Banks had lost the sight in his right eye after a car crash in October 1972.

When Leicester put me up for sale I saw Roger Hunt at an international match. He said: "Don't sign for anybody - Bill Shankly is coming for you."

I thought to myself "that'll do for me". Liverpool had been a top side for a number of years.

I sat and waited and the weeks went by and I thought they were supposed to be coming for me.

I thought I was worth £50,000. I'd been at Leicester for eight years and played in five cup finals - two League Cup finals, two FA Cup finals and a World Cup final.

Eventually the manager at Leicester came up to me and said Stoke are interested and would I like to speak to them.

I was about 28, I was at my peak and Leicester had put me up for sale. I honestly could not get away fast enough and play for a club that wanted me. So I signed for Stoke.

Offline -Giovanni-

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 03:06:07 am »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2019, 10:27:43 am »
I found this by way of a retweet by AngelCake on Twitter (This is  obviously a long read so maybe an idea to start at page 11)

The Origins And Development Of Association Football In The Liverpool District - Thomas John Preston [pdf].http://clok.uclan.ac.uk/9733/11/ThomasJohnPreston.pdf

Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline kopdude81

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 12:21:20 am »
Hello.

I'm not sure if I've landed this message in the correct location but if not please feel free to relocate mods.

I've got a very specific question that relates to two tunes that are played in that BBC History of Liverpool Video. I'm not sure if anyone remembers it but surely someone will. The video was a favourite of mine as a young fella. Used to watch it almost weekly. It was narrated by John Motson. I had the 1892 - 1992 Centenary version and I think there was an earlier one released around 1987 or 1988. Anyway my questions are as follows:

a) what's the name (and artist) of the tune at the beginning of the video?
b) what's the name (and artist) of the tune around the 1978/79 season? It's played over a sort of montage around that great season showing the goals being banged in. (min 57.40 or so of video below)

I've attached a link to the youtube video of the 1987/88 version below. I'd be great if anyone who knows about this could help out. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LZ3KSav9U&list=WL&index=21&t=0s

"This is to remind our lads who they're playing for, and to remind the opposition who they're playing against."

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2020, 01:22:24 am »
Hello.

I'm not sure if I've landed this message in the correct location but if not please feel free to relocate mods.

I've got a very specific question that relates to two tunes that are played in that BBC History of Liverpool Video. I'm not sure if anyone remembers it but surely someone will. The video was a favourite of mine as a young fella. Used to watch it almost weekly. It was narrated by John Motson. I had the 1892 - 1992 Centenary version and I think there was an earlier one released around 1987 or 1988. Anyway my questions are as follows:

a) what's the name (and artist) of the tune at the beginning of the video?
b) what's the name (and artist) of the tune around the 1978/79 season? It's played over a sort of montage around that great season showing the goals being banged in. (min 57.40 or so of video below)

I've attached a link to the youtube video of the 1987/88 version below. I'd be great if anyone who knows about this could help out. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4LZ3KSav9U&list=WL&index=21&t=0s

Sorry I have no idea about the songs. But thank you for posting, I used to watch that video on an almost daily basis when I was a kid. So much so I can remember a lot of the commentaries and narration off by heart, even though I haven’t watched it in 30 years. Sad I know! If I find out anything regarding the song’s I’ll post.

I take it there’s nothing in the credits at the end of the video? I always thought they were incidental pieces perhaps composed specifically for the video
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 01:30:25 am by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline scampatere

• Boys Pen
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2020, 02:30:31 pm »
Hi Im looking for Istanbul pictures, I remember uploading and seeing loads on here somewhere but cant find them - can anyone share a few links please.

Ta