Author Topic: #SHANKLY100 You'll Never Walk Alone: Time to put the record straight!  (Read 84790 times)

Offline Anything Will Do

• Legacy Fan
Re: You'll Never Walk Alone: Time to put the record straight!
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2006, 08:51:22 pm »
Class read. 8)

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 07:16:06 pm »
Does anyone remember Gary Sprake throwing the ball into his  own net???

Then the Kop bursting forth with "Careless Hands" by  Des O'Connor...!

Since we've got plenty of very thorough historians on here, it's probably a good place to set the record straight on this famous incident. It's one of those that's registered very clearly on my not-always-reliable memory.
Sprake threw into his net just before half time.  The game was winding down to the half-time whistle, players going through the motions. Sprake went to throw the ball out to one of his defenders, maybe Hunter, noticed that player was being closed down, and changed his mind a split second too late. He tried to change his side-arm throwing action into one that would re-gather the ball into his own chest, and completely bolloxed it, throwing the ball clean into his own net. It was one of those, "Did I just see that, or did I imagine it?" moments. Sprake was a memorably scatty goalie, brilliant one minute, a clown the next. The Kop responded by chanting his name, after about 10 seconds of absolutely stunned silence. But the Des O'Connor coup was completely down to the fella who put on the half-time music, and who selected "Careless Hands" for his first play. It's always held up as one of the classics of quick scouse wit. I don't recall the Kop joining in, just pissing itself laughing.
Perhaps the part of the whole thing that sticks in my mind is Bremner coming back to Sprake as the half-time whistle went, to console him. The Liverpool-Leeds games of that era were played in a spirit which has gone largely unmatched since. No quarter asked or given, no prisoners taken, but a great feeling of hard-nosed sportsmanship. Any chance, Wooltonian, you can put together an article on them?

As for YNWA, can't dispute the scholarship here. I do recall the Gerry and the Pacemakers recording often going onto the loudspeakers shortly before the game during the sixties, and the Kop taking its cue. Also, for some odd reason, the Supremes "Reflections" was often the last record played just as the players were coming out at this time. No idea why, but it's remained one of my favourites ever since.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline The Commish

• Kopite
  • One of a Kind (4:20)
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2006, 07:35:41 pm »

We had just moved from Calthorpe Street (by the park) to Condor Close (by the Martket) both in Garston.

Good enough for me. I live right by their today, the Liverpool South Parkway has just gone up as well.  :wave
When girls or chicks- whatever you prefer- check me out, its just like bees on honey! They're all over me! Hugging me and kissing me as if I was God's gift to women. Who can blame them? Just take a look at this sexy boy!

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2006, 08:24:03 pm »
Great initial post from Wooly.

I'd just add that Gerry &P's had been singing the song for many years in the Cavern before they released it as a single so I'd guess your mates had picked up on it from there. So Gerry still sort of gets the credit.

As for the Celtic mularky. A pure internet myth like Jamie's Everton tatoos, Michael Owen's welshness, Stevie G a blue etc etc.

Re The gary Sprake. Howes Hound you've got it spot on. Never mind singing Careless Hands the kop was so stunned they didn't know whether to laugh or cheer and the referee just sort of scrtached his head in bemusement. I think it was the Saint who had to convince him it was a goal.

Not sure how the Kop ended up with the credit but if you read any of the players views they somehow all seem to think it was us. Certainly wasn't. In fact I doubt if a single Kopite could sing a verse of Careless Hands if their life depended on it. Certainly not in tune anyroad.

;D

Offline pi

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44 on: April 6, 2008, 03:59:01 pm »
Thats good to know

Cheers for that mate

Offline Beechy

• Main Stander
  • Du Rock Bar,Istanbul
« Reply #45 on: April 6, 2008, 07:52:08 pm »
That was a quality read and explanation. I reckon more reds (and other sets of fans) should know the real truth and origin of our anthem.

Offline Sad Fuck

• there's nothing wrong with Skem!...
  • Main Stander
« Reply #46 on: April 6, 2008, 07:57:54 pm »
i love this song , not only cos its our anthem , but just the song
ow ard - gerrard

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: April 6, 2008, 09:08:52 pm »

In those days a fellah came round with a pole and turned the lights on

Eastern block workers were coming and taking our jobs in the 60s too eh?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline TanistliN

• Main Stander
  • O thou of little faith,wherefore didst thou doubt?
    • ZOR Music Magazine
« Reply #48 on: April 7, 2008, 12:10:12 am »
Great post, greatly informative for all fans and the others as well:P

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #49 on: April 7, 2008, 10:41:37 am »
Great post
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline J_Bowie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 7, 2008, 12:06:28 pm »
Only just seen this thread, great post that. You always get bored of a song after a while but never YNWA.

Offline grego

• Main Stander
  • Més que un club!
« Reply #51 on: April 9, 2008, 10:17:07 am »
thing is, not only were we the first to get it going on the terraces.

it is also us who have made it famous across the world.

i regularly see old clips from the 70s when leeds, forest and even the mancs are singing YNWA (unbelievable thinking about that now).

BUT it is liverpool people associate with the song and the holding of scarves aloft to it, regardless of whoever sings it now.

:scarf

Offline duggs74

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • greatness is a journey not a destination! YNWA
« Reply #52 on: April 9, 2008, 07:37:36 pm »
nice one mate. your next task is to find out the age old riddle of what came first the chicken or the egg?
thats what we call history!!

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2008, 09:43:57 am »
nice one mate. your next task is to find out the age old riddle of what came first the chicken or the egg?

Cant you think of a harder one than that ?

The egg come first.
The Wild Jungle Fowl (Gallus Gallus) laid an egg After sex with a Cockrel and evolution gave us the Chicken (Gallus domesticus)
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2008, 10:05:12 pm »
cheers for the story mate
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline Ste Gerrard 8

• Exchange Ban
  • Kopite
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2008, 12:47:25 am »
Class read that mate.

Cant you think of a harder one than that ?

The egg come first.
The Wild Jungle Fowl (Gallus Gallus) laid an egg After sex with a Cockrel and evolution gave us the Chicken (Gallus domesticus)

:lmao did you make that up mate ?
On April 15th '89
What should have been a joyous time
Ninety six Friends, we all shall miss
And all the Kopites want justice (JUSTICE!)

Offline Exiled109er

• Anny Roader
  • Militant Internet Terrorist #469132
« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2008, 01:24:52 am »
You can tell the season's started... Even the threads are bouncing!
Expose the lies before Thatcher dies.  JFT96

Offline momo22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 4, 2008, 12:36:32 am »
Channel 1. Gerry talking about it now
Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to the basement and say, "Hey Mr. Nugget - you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowney ass name on this fat-ass cheque for you."

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2008, 02:39:22 pm »
I went to a sportsman do at Marine some years ago, Norman Hunter was doing the after dinner stuff. He was asked about Gary Sprake and in particular that goal.

He said that Sprake intended to throw the ball to Terry Cooper and seen Cally closing him down so changed his mind and threw the ball into his own net.  Jackie Charlton went nuts and the ref didn't know what to give, Charlton & Hunter were saying it was a corner and St. John said he had no fucking idea, but the ball was in the net it must be a goal. The ref had no idea what to do so he asked Bremner who turned to Giles and said what the fuck happens, Giles said it was a goal, whilst Smithy couldn't stop taking the piss out of Charlton. Charlton was going ape shit !So according to Hunter it was Giles who gave the goal, not the ref.

At half time Charlton had to be restrained as he was going to fucking kill Sprake.

Offline James B

• anned.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all dream of a team o' Caraghers!
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2008, 02:50:58 pm »
Should post that on a Celtic forum.

Offline Anfieldite

• Main Stander
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2008, 07:02:41 pm »
Here's one. Did Everton ever sing YNWA in the 60s? No point me asking my Blue mates well their too young and wouldn't even try and find out! But does anyone know if they did?

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2008, 06:39:28 pm »
cheers for that. here in ireland, everyone thinks its a celtic song and it does my head in, especially when they start to sing it. i change the channel. thanks again  :D
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline MoSzizlak

• Kopite
  • Yum Yum!
« Reply #62 on: November 6, 2008, 12:12:29 pm »
cheers for that. here in ireland, everyone thinks its a celtic song and it does my head in, especially when they start to sing it. i change the channel. thanks again  :D

You must be in Donegal or somewhere, her ein Ireland everyone knows it's a Liverpool song.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: November 6, 2008, 12:17:00 pm »

Doesn't say much for you and the rest of the Irish reds if 'everyone' thinks it's a Celtic song now does it?
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline stewo4lfc

• Anny Roader
  • I love everyone of you.
« Reply #64 on: November 7, 2008, 10:58:17 pm »
Really pisses me off the way at the games most fans sing YNWA and then just talk negative bullshit.

Offline gazza1976

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2011, 08:53:07 pm »
great read ive allways said it was a liverpool song just new it im a jock but a liverpool jock thru and thru now its easier to tell my m8s most of the celtic fans this story looking forward tae it tae :)
JFT96 Y.N.W.A

Offline scouserdave

• Anny Roader
  • Grafton Ballroom conceived
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »
Fantastic catching up with this thread. I've never met any Celtic supporter who claims to have sang it before we did. Also, I was in the Anny Rd with my dad as a kid in '66 when we played Celtic in the 2nd leg of the cup winners cup semi and I don't recall them singing it then. I do recall the hail of bottles and cans that were thrown on the pitch after the match though. It was also madness outside the ground afterwards.

Offline redpirate

• Say hello to my little brain.....Be quick though, it's shrinking quicker than a polar ice cap.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2012, 08:31:38 pm »
I read somewhere that Man Utd fans claim they sang it first at Old Trafford immediately after the Munich tragedy. I honestly can not believe that they sang this as far back as 1958. If at all.

Offline bluelady13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #68 on: February 2, 2012, 03:13:38 pm »
I read somewhere that Man Utd fans claim they sang it first at Old Trafford immediately after the Munich tragedy. I honestly can not believe that they sang this as far back as 1958. If at all.

Ive also heard that one too.

Great thread btw.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

The great only appear great because we are on our knees, let us rise!

Offline regnaD kciN

• !eltit motsuc etihs a sah
  • Anny Roader
  • Never to use Tapatalk on a crucial post again!
You'll Never Walk Alone: Time to put the record straight!
« Reply #69 on: February 2, 2012, 04:15:53 pm »
I have it on good authority that the singing stopped at this point and the balance of,

Walk on, walk on,
with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone
You'll never walk alone

Was added later.

Actually, the repeat of the last four lines is not in the original song at all -- it just ends after one time through the lyrics.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #70 on: February 2, 2012, 04:43:56 pm »
Actually, the repeat of the last four lines is not in the original song at all -- it just ends after one time through the lyrics.

This must be correct otherwise the entire thing does not rhyme ("alone" rhyming with "blown" obviously).

I imagine that when the lyric was written the song was meant to take no more than 10 seconds to sing: a single verse without a chorus. It was the composer (I always forget which of the two it was) who must have decided to turn the last four lines of the verse into a 'chorus'.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

royhendo

« Reply #71 on: February 2, 2012, 06:39:27 pm »
It's all over in a flash in Carousel isn't it? Remember going to see it and thinking "is that it?". :)

Offline MolbysBellysLovechild

• Kemlynite
  • Mr Suarez Is Not A Racist!
« Reply #72 on: April 9, 2012, 10:05:51 pm »
smashing read wooly

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2012, 08:23:59 pm »
It was sung so beautifully in those early days.  Anyone wanting to hear it should check out the DVD of the 1965 Cup Final. There's a glorious version in extra time soon after we go 1-0 up. The Reds are playing keep ball and the Kop is singing YNWA with perfect timing. The commentator (Wolstenhome?) remains completely quiet for the duration and then, once the anthem's finished, says something like "that's splendid singing from the Anfield Choir". Fantastic.

(Of course the 1964 Scottish Cup Final might show something similar for the Hoops. Errr..not)

Here's that moment, http://facupfinals.blogspot.com/2009/01/1965-fa-cup-final-liverpool-v-leeds.html

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2012, 10:40:11 am »
Here's that moment, http://facupfinals.blogspot.com/2009/01/1965-fa-cup-final-liverpool-v-leeds.html

Nice one mate cheers for finding that. Aye we're not so well voiced these days!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:42 am »
Nice one mate cheers for finding that. Aye we're not so well voiced these days!

Another from Wembley. 1974 this time. Superior stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jawVt-LIyZ4
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2012, 02:26:47 pm »
It was Milan against Madrid in the EC when they famously sang 'You'll Never Walk Alone' 4 days after Hillsborough - it was very moving.

It is, it was sang during the 2 minutes silence which they had 6 minutes into that game, & there's a clip of it up on YouTube, have a soft spot for Milan after that.
#Sausages

Offline sammyboy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I can't believe you just said that!
« Reply #77 on: May 1, 2012, 11:32:44 am »
Love it, still a great read!
R.I.P YNWA

Nah we just wear kilts with no underwear in a cold climate so you English c*nts will think we're braver and tougher than we are.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2012, 01:06:56 am »
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that,  very nostalgic and informative , hadnt read it before.
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:20 am »
This coming weekend it wont be about who sung it first or the loudest.
It will be sung this weekend with more emotion than it ever has before.
It wont be sung to show our support for 11 players on the pitch, It will be sung for The Glory of the 96.
I wont be there but if you are....... Make Us Proud !
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:13:37 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century