Author Topic: Very unusual old Kop picture  (Read 172641 times)

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
Re: Very unusual old Kop picture
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:09 am »
Very simple explanation for this picture; there is a lonesome man standing alone at the far side of the Kop; so putting 1 and 1 together it obvious he's let one rip and the queue is in fact, people trying to escape the smell of the SBD - dirty get
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2012, 06:06:13 pm »
Is it the start of the 80 mile queue of RAWK members who know how to manage the team better than Kenny?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2012, 06:23:01 pm »
They're aliens.

Offline BUSHMILLS

• PEBBLEHOUSE. Your auntie's agent provocateur.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never ask what's under his patio
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2012, 05:39:15 pm »
It's 1945, and a fan has been heard singing "Hitler has only got one ball".

The stewards are bringing in this section of the crowd for questioning.

Offline Redrider

• Departed for a forum with better manners
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2012, 08:51:16 pm »
1950 Cup Final, Season Ticket Holders queing to get their Cup Final Tickets.
They used to have vouchers in the Season Ticket to allow them to buy a ticket for Cup Games. 

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2012, 09:07:39 pm »
That pic of Sherlock :lmao

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »
Only one toilet in the ground in those days.

Hence the puddle in the goalmouth. "Right which one of you fuckers couldn't wait?" That's it, it's a line up.
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline TheMissionary

• PositionIsSoooooooOrdinary!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's nice, that's McDermott, and that's a goal!!
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2012, 10:11:00 pm »
The nets are still up, and they're red nets - well definitely not white - when are we going to get red nets back?
TheMissionary
YNWA

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
Old Kop memories/pictures
« Reply #88 on: October 4, 2016, 06:57:01 am »
Couldn't actually find a thread dedicated to the old Kop,not a recent one anyway. Here's a nostalgic picture and one I hadn't seen before.

Didn't get up that part of the Kop much, especially on Sat games, but for the odd less attended midweek I went up there and it was a fantastic view. Think about it you're within touching distance of a Kemlyn Road seat.

I know Spurs had a 'shelf' in WHL, but we also call this part of the Kop the same?
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 07:03:42 am by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline The Lord Admiral

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Old Kop memories/pictures
« Reply #89 on: October 4, 2016, 07:24:00 am »
That brought a few memories back, I think I came through that entrance at the back the first time I ever stood on the Kop.

I saw this one the other day and thought how fantastic it looked. If they ever did one of the other stands this would be a great look.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #90 on: October 4, 2016, 08:01:57 am »
I remember the lads that to used to climb onto the steel framework beneath the roof and watch the match from there, don't think they where even stopped or warned to get down from the police.

I think that why the roof support pillars where widened though, to stop the lads climbing up they way.

Look and this pic and the 2 lads half way up the roof support,impossible to do that once those supports where widened at the bottom!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #91 on: October 4, 2016, 08:27:35 am »
Finally, before I go to bed (just been on nights) this picture has always intrigued me because of the various explanations I've heard behind it!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: October 4, 2016, 08:59:26 am »
Queueing up for cup final tickets..... 1965 I think?

In the days when the ground was completely landlocked by housing, it was more practical to open a gate, and have the crowds queueing around the pitch, to not piss off the neighbours.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2016, 09:02:26 am by Big Red Richie »

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: October 4, 2016, 09:04:38 am »
Yes deffo a queue for tickets but looks more of 50s dress id guess the 1950 final ? , remember the lads used to climb on the actual roof of the kop and sit there and watch the game

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #94 on: October 4, 2016, 10:31:34 am »
Finally, before I go to bed (just been on nights) this picture has always intrigued me because of the various explanations I've heard behind it!

Haha mike we've been here before
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=286005.msg9815021#msg9815021

Offline MarkR

• Main Stander
« Reply #95 on: October 4, 2016, 03:35:14 pm »
Yes deffo a queue for tickets but looks more of 50s dress id guess the 1950 final ? , remember the lads used to climb on the actual roof of the kop and sit there and watch the game

I recall watching (I was in the old paddock) a lad climb from the kop into the Kemlyn, then up the back right hand wall, along the cabling that stretched between the kemlyn and kop roofs then walked out over the kop roof and sat and watched the game from directly above the goal (1977 derby game, we won 3-1 but Martin Dobson scored a 35yrd screamer)

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #96 on: October 4, 2016, 11:26:15 pm »

Haha mike we've been here before
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=286005.msg9815021#msg9815021

Thought I'd brought it up before, wasn't sure if it was on here or another site though (RAOTL)...4 years ago that thread! Haha can't remember what I did last week, that's what nights do to you I suppose!

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: October 5, 2016, 09:42:16 am »
I recall watching (I was in the old paddock) a lad climb from the kop into the Kemlyn, then up the back right hand wall, along the cabling that stretched between the kemlyn and kop roofs then walked out over the kop roof and sat and watched the game from directly above the goal (1977 derby game, we won 3-1 but Martin Dobson scored a 35yrd screamer)
That was my first game at Anfield. October 76. It's weird because other than just the odd bit of the game itself -I remember a Neal Pen and as you say the Dobson screamer, and even then worrying about a comeback at 3-1 - some things never change.  I  also had vague memories of someone on the Kop roof, so its great that someone else remembers that ;D
I dont think I saw him climb up, I just remember him on the roof, get vertigo just thinking about it - the mad bastard!
Cheers for reminding me.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #98 on: October 5, 2016, 11:40:28 am »
How different is this one? Only the flag pole gives you a clue it's The Kop (nice to see Dr Fun up there too!)

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #99 on: October 5, 2016, 01:15:45 pm »
That was my first game at Anfield. October 76. It's weird because other than just the odd bit of the game itself -I remember a Neal Pen and as you say the Dobson screamer, and even then worrying about a comeback at 3-1 - some things never change.  I  also had vague memories of someone on the Kop roof, so its great that someone else remembers that ;D
I dont think I saw him climb up, I just remember him on the roof, get vertigo just thinking about it - the mad bastard!
Cheers for reminding me.

I remember it quite clearly too - I've probably got some old newspaper cuttings somewhere showing him when one of the goals went in - I've got loads of old scrapbooks in the loft. keep meaning to digitise them one day.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2016, 08:07:42 pm »
How different is this one? Only the flag pole gives you a clue it's The Kop (nice to see Dr Fun up there too!)

Many people on the Kop referred to that as 'The Pulpit'. (Top right-hand corner of the terrace looking right down the wing that Thompson and Barnes used to attack).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2016, 08:10:07 pm »
That brought a few memories back, I think I came through that entrance at the back the first time I ever stood on the Kop.

I saw this one the other day and thought how fantastic it looked. If they ever did one of the other stands this would be a great look.

Love that first pick. Looks like the day we beat United to end their title challenge?

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2016, 08:53:35 pm »

This website says it's from 1949 - http://explodingturnip.com/LFCSpionKop/AnfieldPhotoGallery_Vintage02.html.

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:26 pm »
Good pic
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2016, 10:48:27 pm »
Love these old ones, haha state of those workers on roof, no safety gear whatsoever!

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 09:28:16 am »
Love these old ones, haha state of those workers on roof, no safety gear whatsoever!

Not as mad as these two on the Kop roof Liverpool 3 Everton 1 October 1976 ...

Online Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #106 on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:08 am »
Not as mad as these two on the Kop roof Liverpool 3 Everton 1 October 1976 ...

Especially with those trousers - the wind could catch them and they'd be halfway across Stanley Park.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2017, 11:13:11 am »
Especially with those trousers - the wind could catch them and they'd be halfway across Stanley Park.

Slaves to fashion Alan ... I had a pair that you took three steps before the trousers started to move  :P

The lad on the right's got an old worn silkie round his neck ... they went like that after a few matches/soakings, more like a necktie than a scarf  :-\