Author Topic: Any Haruki Murakami fans in?  (Read 8874 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Any Haruki Murakami fans in?
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:03 pm »
Just finished After Dark. Anyone else here read it?

I have. I really liked it even though it's considered to be one of the least of his books. Not a great piece of literature, but very enjoyable for a long flight.

My ring tone has been "Five Spot After Dark" since I read that book years ago.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »
I have. I really liked it even though it's considered to be one of the least of his books. Not a great piece of literature, but very enjoyable for a long flight.

My ring tone has been "Five Spot After Dark" since I read that book years ago.
I enjoyed it too. Certainly not one of his more ambitious books, but the way he injects something almost supernatural into otherwise mundane events keeps it intriguing throughout.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 04:54:00 pm »
I'm well and truly a Murakami fanboy now.

Started with Norwegian Wood - really liked it; felt like Catcher in the Rye set in Japan! But with a more articulate and philosophical narrator.

Went for The Wind up Bird Chronicle and it's up there with anything I've read. I was sad to finish it - you really become absorbed in Toru's world and it's so layered - couldn't really tell you for sure what the meaning behind it was but I kind of felt like it was an exploration of suffering and what it means to love and to hate.

Next up is Kafka on the Shore.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 07:29:06 pm »
I'm well and truly a Murakami fanboy now.

Started with Norwegian Wood - really liked it; felt like Catcher in the Rye set in Japan! But with a more articulate and philosophical narrator.

Went for The Wind up Bird Chronicle and it's up there with anything I've read. I was sad to finish it - you really become absorbed in Toru's world and it's so layered - couldn't really tell you for sure what the meaning behind it was but I kind of felt like it was an exploration of suffering and what it means to love and to hate.

Next up is Kafka on the Shore.

Kafka on the Shore is great - perhaps his strangest book, but a wonderful tale nonetheless. Probably my second favourite behind Wind-up bird.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 08:34:25 pm »
I had a bit of Murakami binge recently started on Norwegian Wood, then Wind Up (a good shout for the best novel I have read), then his running memoir. Got about half way through Hard Boiled and changed to something else, was really enjoying it too though, I want to savour his writing so I figured I'd read someone else for a while.

Just bought The Vegetarian by Han Kang, I've heard it has a similar writing style to Murakami and it won a Man Booker price so big expectations!
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2016, 11:32:31 pm »
I had a bit of Murakami binge recently started on Norwegian Wood, then Wind Up (a good shout for the best novel I have read), then his running memoir. Got about half way through Hard Boiled and changed to something else, was really enjoying it too though, I want to savour his writing so I figured I'd read someone else for a while.

Just bought The Vegetarian by Han Kang, I've heard it has a similar writing style to Murakami and it won a Man Booker price so big expectations!

Haha I was just thinking of Murakami when I heard The Vegetarian had won the Booker prize. Let us know how it is. It does sound like more surrealist Murakami ala Kafka on the Shore or Hard-Boiled Wonderland. I'd be interested to read the next generation of writers influenced by him actually. I don't know who any of them are, though.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2016, 09:28:52 am »
Haha I was just thinking of Murakami when I heard The Vegetarian had won the Booker prize. Let us know how it is.

I'd recommend it. It's split into 3 long chapters, from the perspective of 3 characters none of whom are the main character.

The writing style is very Murakami, may have to do with the way it is translated? Thumbs up from me though and it's short enough to knock out in a couple of days :)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: June 1, 2016, 04:47:12 pm »
Read Wind Up Bird, Norwegian Wood and Kafka On the Shore now.

Enjoyed them all.

Wind Up Bird was the best; although it's full of riddles I feel it's easier to come to some sort of conclusion than with Kafka.

I liked Kafka a lot and actually think there's some beautiful writing in there but I didn't like Kafka as a character personally - I felt it was more about a spiritual discovery and some confusing overlapping stories designed to show the difference between body and spirit. I was more interested in Nakata. Can someone explain what all that stuff was about attacking the slimy substance that comes out of Nakata's throat at the end when he's 'died'?

I'm reading Ishiguro next (Remains of the Day) before going back to Murakami; I've chosen Dance Dance Dance.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: June 1, 2016, 05:38:32 pm »
Loved Wind Up Bird, felt like I was in a dream all through reading it. Reading Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World right now.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: June 1, 2016, 06:08:26 pm »
Read Norwegian Wood, Kafka on the shore, Wind-up Bird and South of the Border, West of the Sun. Loved them all.

Also tried the short story collection Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman, but couldn't really get into it.

Perhaps his writing style works better in the long format.

Online B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: June 9, 2016, 02:37:36 am »
Just finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland. Wonderful.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2016, 08:39:37 pm »
Just finished Hard-Boiled Wonderland. Wonderful.

Just finished this myself.

I have that feeling after finishing the other works of Murakami so far - some sort of awe. I don't think you can ever truly make sense or find a neat resolution to Murakami's work but each novel is spell-binding.

I'd put this one up there with Wind Up Bird, maybe a close second. I loved the ideas explored about existentialism and the mundane realities of living. In 'The End Of The World' for example there's a great passage where the narrator asks the Colonel why the people are digging a hole and he responds by saying they just do it. They don't have any incentive so feel neither joy nor sadness. The idea that you need sadness for joy or despair for hope comes across strongly in this novel.

Next up for me is  1Q84 but going to save it for a few weeks, I dont like to read Murakami novels back to back.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 08:43:31 pm »
I currently have Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage half-finished on my Kindle at the moment, not too bad so far.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2016, 01:22:56 am »
Just finished this myself.

I have that feeling after finishing the other works of Murakami so far - some sort of awe. I don't think you can ever truly make sense or find a neat resolution to Murakami's work but each novel is spell-binding.

I'd put this one up there with Wind Up Bird, maybe a close second. I loved the ideas explored about existentialism and the mundane realities of living. In 'The End Of The World' for example there's a great passage where the narrator asks the Colonel why the people are digging a hole and he responds by saying they just do it. They don't have any incentive so feel neither joy nor sadness. The idea that you need sadness for joy or despair for hope comes across strongly in this novel.

Next up for me is  1Q84 but going to save it for a few weeks, I dont like to read Murakami novels back to back.

I recommend you get through the first two books and skip the third.

Agree about Hard-Boiled Wonderland. Comfortably the second best big novel after Wind-Up Bird by a mile. He used to be a lot more ambitious in the 80s/90s than he is now.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2016, 08:29:04 pm »
Spent 3 weeks reading IQ84.

Spoiler
I think book 1 and 2 is his best work. Even better than Wind up Bird and I didn't think that could be topped for me. Insanely good writing; Aomame and Tengo are two of his most well crafted characters and Fuka Eri amongst the most unusual and mystical. The pacing was superb for these 2 books and I can see why people think it should have concluded there and then.

Book 3 was pretty awful. I mean the drop in quality in the dialogue, in the plot, in everything was so sloppy. Having Ushikawa as a third POV might have worked if we didn't have so much of it reading about him getting into a sleeping bag and being ugly. I also found it perplexing how it was just glossed over that he had a wife and attractive kids. There's no realistic way that could ever happen if Murakami is drilling into us what a monstrosity he is.

I felt like we didn't get any real pay off with the religious cult either - I don't expect things to be wrapped up by Murakami ever but we didn't get to the bottom of what was such a pivotal driving force of the novel.

This was a really fantastic read though overall - I feel like I felt after I read The Stand by Stephen King. You become part of the world (whatever world we were presented with in this novel!) and it's sad to see it go!

[close]

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2016, 01:45:48 pm »
Spent 3 weeks reading IQ84.

Spoiler
I think book 1 and 2 is his best work. Even better than Wind up Bird and I didn't think that could be topped for me. Insanely good writing; Aomame and Tengo are two of his most well crafted characters and Fuka Eri amongst the most unusual and mystical. The pacing was superb for these 2 books and I can see why people think it should have concluded there and then.

Book 3 was pretty awful. I mean the drop in quality in the dialogue, in the plot, in everything was so sloppy. Having Ushikawa as a third POV might have worked if we didn't have so much of it reading about him getting into a sleeping bag and being ugly. I also found it perplexing how it was just glossed over that he had a wife and attractive kids. There's no realistic way that could ever happen if Murakami is drilling into us what a monstrosity he is.

I felt like we didn't get any real pay off with the religious cult either - I don't expect things to be wrapped up by Murakami ever but we didn't get to the bottom of what was such a pivotal driving force of the novel.

This was a really fantastic read though overall - I feel like I felt after I read The Stand by Stephen King. You become part of the world (whatever world we were presented with in this novel!) and it's sad to see it go!

[close]

Agree that books 1 and 2 are some of his best work. Wouldn't go so far as to compare it with Windup Bird, but parts of Book 2 in particular are just terrific.

Agree with the assessment of 3, although I didn't leave it feeling particularly thrilled, because the drop in quality was just so sensational.

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »
Another recent Murakami convert here. I read Norwegian Wood  back in March and really loved it. Read Kafka On The Shore (my personal favourite so far), then Sputnik Sweetheart, and I've nearly finished Wind Up Bird Chronicle now. Think I'll tackle IQ84 next.

I lent my dad Sputnik Sweetheart for his holiday as he was looking for something to read, and he's a huge fan now. Came back and ordered a load of stuff by him from Amazon and he's working his way through the back catalogue now as well. Brilliant writer, I can only agree with UntouchableLuis about that sense of awe you get when you finish any of his books. My dad said he's actually spoilt other writers for him now, as he's forever comparing them with Murakami.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2016, 08:49:52 pm »
Another recent Murakami convert here. I read Norwegian Wood  back in March and really loved it. Read Kafka On The Shore (my personal favourite so far), then Sputnik Sweetheart, and I've nearly finished Wind Up Bird Chronicle now. Think I'll tackle IQ84 next.

I lent my dad Sputnik Sweetheart for his holiday as he was looking for something to read, and he's a huge fan now. Came back and ordered a load of stuff by him from Amazon and he's working his way through the back catalogue now as well. Brilliant writer, I can only agree with UntouchableLuis about that sense of awe you get when you finish any of his books. My dad said he's actually spoilt other writers for him now, as he's forever comparing them with Murakami.

Haha that's strange as I thought that today. Tried reading Henry Miller but just couldn't get into it then picked up South of the Border West of the Sun by Murakami and flew through 5 chapters.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2016, 11:57:35 am »
After finished Kafka by the Shore, I needed a Murakami break so I delved into Grapes of Wrath. That's a classic right there, with an amazing ending.

I've started into 1Q84, loving it so far! If I could pick my 2 favorite authors, they would be Steinbeck and Murakami. The collection and depth of their work is astounding. If I could pick a period of time to live in, I'd said it would be either 1930's America or recent day Japan. Actually, why am I not there now?

Offline Glass Kites

• Anny Roader
  • 5x
    • Blog
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2016, 01:15:07 pm »
Started 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running'. Not what I expected.  ???

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2016, 03:28:17 pm »

Read 1Q84 Books 1 and 2 on my flights to/from China. Loving his work.

Have only read Norwegian Wood, but started 1Q84 Book 3 now.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2016, 05:00:07 pm »
Started 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running'. Not what I expected.  ???

In what way? Just ordered that.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2016, 11:12:31 am »
In what way? Just ordered that.

It's a memoir about his marathon running hobby, with insights into his writing process. It was pretty much what I expected.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2017, 07:48:03 pm »
Read his entire catalogue now pretty much.

Going to re-read some of my favourites. Started again today with Norwegian Wood which is the first of his I initially read! Already 130 pages in, so readable. I might do a little review after each novel this time.

If anyone is looking to get into Murakami my list goes something like this after only my first read through of his works:

Excellent:

Norwegian Wood
South of the Border, West of the Sun.
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.
IQ84

These for me are his flawless novels, so engrossing and leave you with something wonderful. People might be surprised to see SOTB in there but I absolutely loved this one - a gem.

Very good:

Kafka On the Shore
Hard Boiled Wonderland
Dance Dance Dance
Sputnik Sweetheart

Some would say the first two are his best work and I agree they are brilliant novels but for me they didn't hit as many cords as the ones I placed above. Kafka was readable but a little too self important IMO, just too zany even for Murakami.

Good:

Hear the Wind Sing
Pinball, 1973
Colourless Tsukuru

The first 2 were his experimental novels so there's not any major plot to them but I still enjoyed them.

Terrible:

A wild Sheep Chase
After Dark

The less said about these 2 the better. A chore to get through both.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2017, 09:32:41 pm »
Read his entire catalogue now pretty much.

Going to re-read some of my favourites. Started again today with Norwegian Wood which is the first of his I initially read! Already 130 pages in, so readable. I might do a little review after each novel this time.

Reviews would be great, man.

I've only read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the Wind up Bird Chronicle, but really enjoyed them both. Do you have any particular recommendations as to where to go from there? As a rough guide, I like crime fiction and fantasy a bit, but my days of reading heavy shit (Joyce, Beckett etc) appear to be way behind me - I don't seem to have the patience or the intelligence these days!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2017, 09:50:44 pm »
Reviews would be great, man.

I've only read Hard Boiled Wonderland and the Wind up Bird Chronicle, but really enjoyed them both. Do you have any particular recommendations as to where to go from there? As a rough guide, I like crime fiction and fantasy a bit, but my days of reading heavy shit (Joyce, Beckett etc) appear to be way behind me - I don't seem to have the patience or the intelligence these days!

Go to Norwegian Wood next. The two you have read are lengthy, demanding journeys so NW will seem lighter. Then South of the Border, West of the Sun. IQ84 is probably my favourite of his but not after the ones you have already read, your brain will be fried! Save that for when you have a lot of spare time.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:28 pm »
Go to Norwegian Wood next. The two you have read are lengthy, demanding journeys so NW will seem lighter. Then South of the Border, West of the Sun. IQ84 is probably my favourite of his but not after the ones you have already read, your brain will be fried! Save that for when you have a lot of spare time.

Cheers mate.

Think my Mum's got most of them so hopefully I can borrow all the ones you mentioned from her. Much obliged, and I look forward to those reviews!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2017, 12:39:19 am »
IMO

Excellent:
South of the Border, West of the Sun.
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle.
IQ84 (Books 1+2)
Dance Dance Dance

Very good:

Norwegian Wood
Hard Boiled Wonderland
Sputnik Sweetheart

Good:

After Dark
Kafka On the Shore

Meh:

Colourless Tsukuru
A Wild Sheep Chase
Hear the Wind Sing
Pinball, 1973

Terrible

1Q84 (Book 3)

Strongly agree re: South of the Border. I think it's a book that captures a lot of familiar Murakami themes, but it's so perfectly and succinctly realised. Lots of love for it.

I don't recall hating After Dark, but I think I read it at the peak of my Murakami love, so I was pretty willing to give everything a pass.

I don't really hate A Wild Sheep Chase, but I don't remember a thing about it, so that probably speaks volumes for it. Ditto the two novellas, which are practice writing exercises as much as anything.

I personally didn't love Kafka on the Shore. As you say, it's quite self-important. It's possibly the most surrealistic novel of his - a little too surreal to be particularly moving, and yet you get the sense that Murakami really wanted you to be moved. I wasn't moved. It was good writing, though.

I think I read Dance Dance Dance second, after Norwegian Wood, in high school, and it blew me away.

Colorless Tsukuru I thought was a bit phoned in. It hit all the Murakami tropes without offering anything compellingly new or moving. IMO its ending was also a bit anti-climatic.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2017, 12:49:27 am »
I need a break from him for a while. I started reading 1Q84 and was really into it, but it came after I'd already read quite a lot of his work in a relatively short period, so I didn't want to force my way through it.

I have to disagree with your thoughts on After Dark, which I loved. Complete agree about SOTB though. Norwegian Wood was the first I read and - because of that fact maybe - remains my favourite.

I've read...

Norwegian Wood
After Dark
Colourless Tsukuru Tazaki
Kafka on the Shore
Pinball, 1973 & Hear The Wind Sing
The Wind Up Bird Chronicle
South of the Border, West of the Sun

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2017, 08:42:39 pm »
1Q84 broke me. Got to the start of the 2nd book and needed a break from him.

I've never been great with super lengthy novels. I tend to read other thing in between and then lose the plot when I get back to it. It happened with Brothers Karamazov recently which I was enjoying. Can't get back into it now!

Going to read South of the Border and Dance Dance Dance soon based on the reviews in this thread :)

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 2, 2017, 11:37:46 am »
Cheers mate.

Think my Mum's got most of them so hopefully I can borrow all the ones you mentioned from her. Much obliged, and I look forward to those reviews!

As promised, here is the first review. It does contain spoilers so look away if you want to read the book before the review but I think with Murakami spoilers are a bit redundant as it's so open to interpretation anyway!

Norwegian Wood

This is the novel that made Murakami a global writer and one that actually depressed him due to the unexpected interest and fame that came with it. It became popular with teenagers in Japan for its themes of isolation, love, sex and death in the same way that Catcher in the Rye, a novel Murakami was influenced by, attracted a large teenage following.

This was the first Murakami book I read and although I enjoyed my first read through immensely, I always feel you don't appreciate a novel as much by an author you are reading for the first time as you're getting to grips with their style. My second read through has taken me around a week and I definitely got much more out of it this time through.

It's fairly different to a lot of other novels that Murakami has written; there aren't any strange, supernatural occurrences. There's imagery and there's questions left unanswered but I think this is probably the only Murakami novel that leaves you completely fulfilled and satisfied. Works like 'Kafka On the Shore' and 'IQ84' have so many layers that you can never truly reach any reasonable conclusion.

At the centre of this novel is a confusing and tentative love triangle - the initial one between Toru (narrator) and his teenage friends Naoko and Kizuki in some ways. There is some sort of spiritual connection that binds the 3 together; although it is Naoko and Kizuki who are in a relationship, they don't seem complete without Toru. It is in fact Toru who Kizuki opens up to more. Naoko and Kizuki seem to share an entirely naturally sexual relationship but there is a feeling that they are strangers to one another at times. Kizuki ends up committing suicide despite seeming happy to Toru the last time he sees him. This is the hinge point of the novel - everything that comes after is the process of adjusting and coming to terms with life after this tragic, unexplained death (there is no suicide note.)

From this death springs something intense between Naoko and Toru who go for quiet walks and later and slowly reflect upon their friend and lover's death. They admit that they didn't interact that much during this time. There is an unspoken resentment from Naoko that suggests she is bitter about Kizuki not showing her the joyful and energetic side he often showed to Toru. Toru also learns that Naoko is a virgin but some irrevocable force draws them together and they share a night together - the only time Naoko is able to have sex in her life. I feel at this point that Toru is fulfilling a role for Naoko that Kizuki could never fill and although it is wonderful for Naoko on this evening, ultimately it serves as an overwhelming reminder of what could not be accomplished in her life with Kizuki - arguably drawing her into her depressive state and forcing her to seek refuge in a sort of microscopic society in a sanatorium.

The most interesting part of this novel for me is the limbo that Toru finds himself in due to Naoko's absence. He spends his days at University floating around meaninglessly. Nothing appears to interest him. He is silently grieving for the death of his best friend and for his recent lover and spends time sleeping with a variety of girls under the tutelage of the brilliant, chauvinistic sex hound Nagasawa. Murakami  shows an excellent contrast in philosophy between Nagasawa, who is unsentimental and sees his life as an opportunity to take what he wants from a corrupt and broken world without regret , and Toru who is equally as frustrated with the world but tries to find some salvation in his commitment to Naoko and by treating people in the right way.

Another character that Murakami uses in a fascinating way is Midori, a fellow University student of Toru's who comes to love him and eventually he reciprocates these feelings. Midori is the opposite of Naoko; vivacious, sexual and abrasive but we find out during different parts of the novel that she has had a lot of hurt and pain in her life - she just copes with it in an entirely different way to Naoko.

This is the most painful dilemma for Toru as he comes to realise that he can dedicate his life to what is essentially a phantom woman living a shell of an existence in some remote part of Japan (Naoko) or he can start over with a vibrant, caring and sexual woman who is right there for him if he wants it (Midori). It is at this crossroads that the decision is effectively made for him when news comes that Naoko commits suicide as well. The following scenes in which Murakami conveys the utter devastation and collapse of Toru's world as he roams around various cities of Japan drinking cheap whisky and scrounging food while sleeping on beaches and roads are some of the most poignant bits of literature I've read.

Despite the heave atmosphere of loss and heart-break there is some sort of uplifting conclusion. Just as Naoko and Toru were able to fulfil the act of sexual passion that Kizuki could never provide, Toru gets some sort of closure by sleeping with Reiko, a patient and carer to Naoko in their sanatorium.  This is almost some metaphorical act of healing whereby Toru can unleash his pent up feelings of desire and longing that have weighed him down since the death of his best friend. It is also through this act that Toru sees clearly that Midori is the one he must not lose now.

The novel closes with Midori, on the phone, asking Toru 'Where are you now?" To which Toru ponders the question deeply. It is still a Murakami ending with multiple questions to be answered but like I said, we feel there has been some genuine break through and Toru's demons have been put to rest.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 2, 2017, 08:02:02 pm »
Nice one mate, I'm going to have to give it a read now. I wasn't too sure given the subject matter as I've never been into "relationship-based fiction" (for want of a better literary term) that much - I'm more of a crime or sci-fi/fantasy type guy - but you're recommendation and review are swaying me greatly.

Plus it's Murakami, so it's not going to be dull!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2017, 12:17:15 pm »
Anyone read the new short stories 'Men Without Women'? Raced though them. Really enjoyed the collection on the whole - I'd say there were 4 gems, 1 ok and 2 meh.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: June 1, 2017, 12:19:47 am »
Anyone read the new short stories 'Men Without Women'? Raced though them. Really enjoyed the collection on the whole - I'd say there were 4 gems, 1 ok and 2 meh.

Agreed.

Great:

Drive My Car
Yesterday
Kino

Decent:

Scheherazade
An Independent Organ

Meh/crap:

Men Without Women

In particular I absolutely loved "Kino", the latter stages of which I found quite profoundly moving. It might just be because I've gone through something similar in my own life though.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: June 2, 2017, 04:40:53 pm »
Agreed.

Great:

Drive My Car
Yesterday
Kino

Decent:

Scheherazade
An Independent Organ

Meh/crap:

Men Without Women

In particular I absolutely loved "Kino", the latter stages of which I found quite profoundly moving. It might just be because I've gone through something similar in my own life though.

Scheherazade I would lump in with MWW as the crap ones. Fully agree with the rest though. Samsa in Love was decent as a small reflection on being a human means you feel love.

Really liked Kino - some great characters and imagery - Quite Wind Up Bird-ish. What did you make of the whole bar fight and all of a sudden those people were taken care of in a mysterious manner? Was that Murakami showing how problems need to be confronted rather than repressed?

I'd probably have Yesterday as my favourite - more like Norweigian Wood or South of the Border and the idea of loaning out your girlfriend to a friend is classic Murakami weirdness.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2018, 03:31:19 pm »
Anyone finished Killing Commendatore?

Seen a lot of people saying they didn't like it but I really enjoyed it. It was a slow start but around 200 pages onwards I was gripped. I'd rate it somewhere the middle of his catalogue - doesn't hit the heights of IQ84 or WUBC but I liked it better than Kafka.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2018, 12:33:21 pm »
Anyone finished Killing Commendatore?

Seen a lot of people saying they didn't like it but I really enjoyed it. It was a slow start but around 200 pages onwards I was gripped. I'd rate it somewhere the middle of his catalogue - doesn't hit the heights of IQ84 or WUBC but I liked it better than Kafka.

I'm about a third of the way through, it has been fine so far. I find with Murakami novels I can leave them for a week and come back and not feel like I have to go over anything again. The storyline always just seems to stick.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2019, 09:20:36 pm »
Any Murakami fans should check out the film "Burning", it's based on one of his short stories, and it nails the atmosphere of his books.