Author Topic: The Trip - Coogan & Brydon  (Read 38212 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: The Trip - Coogan & Brydon
« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2017, 10:36:02 am »
Coogan couldn't have been much more outspoken about the practises of Murdoch and the tabloids during the phone-hacking scandal. Then he leaves the BBC and signs a lucrative deal with Sky. I love his comedy, but I've lost a lot of respect for Coogan himself.

It is a bit hypocritical to say the least, I would be interested to see if he's been pressed on it yet.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2017, 10:45:11 am »
It is a bit hypocritical to say the least, I would be interested to see if he's been pressed on it yet.

Is it?

That's a bit like having a pop at someone who says 'don't buy the S*n' yet pays for Sky Sports.

Just seems a bit unrealistic.
:D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #282 on: March 27, 2017, 11:58:15 am »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #283 on: March 27, 2017, 01:40:56 pm »
Partridge has been on Sky for years now &  his company has been producing stuff for Sky1 for a long time. You should know Coogan by now he'll follow the money wherever it takes him he's unapologetic in that regard its why a lot of people cant take to him.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:43:39 pm by Shepnois »

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 27, 2017, 02:00:05 pm »
Partridge has been on Sky for years now &  his company has been producing stuff for Sky1 for a long time. You should know Coogan by now he'll follow the money wherever it takes him he's unapologetic in that regard its why a lot of people cant take to him.

I forgot Mid Morning Matters was a Sky production also I think.

Anyway glad to see the Trip back although I hope this is the last one they do as a vehicle I don't think they'll be able to squeeze much more out of it.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 27, 2017, 02:10:13 pm »
Well if the BBC had given him a second series he wouldn't have had to go to Sky.

The Shits

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #286 on: March 27, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
Bit of a character assassination. Based on anything? I'm not suggesting money isn't important to him, but I've never regarded him as a commercial animal grabbing onto any vehicle.

As for the hypocrisy of working for Sky, I don't think it is quite so straightforward.

Firstly, judge it against your own standards. Are you an advocate of Don't Buy the S*n but still watch Sky Sports? I don't buy the Sun but I do watch Sky Sports. I think the energies of that particular campaign are rightly geared towards a very specific goal, which doesn't include a boycott of a whole media empire.

Secondly, The Sun's tabloid and repugnant practices are good reasons to object to what they stand for but that doesn't eliminate an artist to engage with a separate subsidiary of the same company. Coogan's rightful opposition to his treatment by the tabloid media (specifically NOTW and The Sun) shouldn't disqualify him from working with a company that are happy to fund a show he is starring in. Sky Atlantic is not a tabloid newspaper and doesn't have any creative links with those newspapers. Sky Atlantic have a strong reputation of producing and commissioning excellent television. I don't see the hypocrisy. I do, however, see too much misplaced ire and personal assassinations when it comes to this sort of thing.

Like with the campaign against the Sun in Liverpool, efforts and energies should be narrowed to serve a singular objective. Getting drawn into notions of hypocrisy are ultimately distracting and arguably unnecessarily sanctimonious. For me, it misses the point.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:43:48 pm by Fitzy. »

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #287 on: March 27, 2017, 03:41:31 pm »
Well if the BBC had given him a second series he wouldn't have had to go to Sky.

The Shits

Ha!

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #288 on: April 6, 2017, 09:45:14 pm »
New series starts at 10pm tonight on Sky Atlantic. Think the while series is available at once on Sky Boxsets or whatever they call it but think I'll do an old fashioned oneepisode per week.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: April 6, 2017, 10:44:00 pm »
New series starts at 10pm tonight on Sky Atlantic. Think the while series is available at once on Sky Boxsets or whatever they call it but think I'll do an old fashioned oneepisode per week.

Cheers Nick - glad to hear there's a new one!

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #290 on: April 7, 2017, 07:12:48 am »
Any good?

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #291 on: April 7, 2017, 08:12:02 am »
Any good?
Was a bit worried beforehand that this might have run its course. The first episode was a little formulaic, a little forced and I was bit bored by some of the impressions, but the second one had me laughing a lot. They've definitely started riffing like a double act instead of competing and some of the dinner stuff is very good. Food also looks incredible but that's Spain for you. Looking forward to continuing.

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #292 on: April 7, 2017, 08:37:19 am »
Was a bit worried beforehand that this might have run its course. The first episode was a little formulaic, a little forced and I was bit bored by some of the impressions, but the second one had me laughing a lot. They've definitely started riffing like a double act instead of competing and some of the dinner stuff is very good. Food also looks incredible but that's Spain for you. Looking forward to continuing.

Exactly my thoughts. First was fairly poor but the second took off and it was good to see even Coogan laughing at Brydon's comments. Can see why they gave them a little room on their own.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #293 on: April 7, 2017, 08:53:27 am »
Exactly my thoughts. First was fairly poor but the second took off and it was good to see even Coogan laughing at Brydon's comments. Can see why they gave them a little room on their own.

My favourite part of the first series was when Coogan finally laughed at something Rob said.
One little thing that annoyed me was the adverts though, ruins the flow a bit.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #294 on: April 7, 2017, 01:21:07 pm »
Shame it's on Sky Atlantic. Really enjoyed it but Sky can go fuck themselves.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #295 on: April 7, 2017, 01:51:19 pm »

Fuckin Ditto, I'd never give that c*nt my money (Murdoch that is)
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #296 on: April 7, 2017, 09:19:50 pm »
Anyone got a link on where us non Sky payers can watch it per chance?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #297 on: April 8, 2017, 08:30:57 pm »
Am enjoying it so far. Could do without the singing though.
Their Mick Jaggers are brilliant.
« Last Edit: April 8, 2017, 08:52:14 pm by Nitramdorf »

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: April 8, 2017, 11:29:57 pm »
watched 2 episodes earlier on, quality television.
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Oddball

• aka 'Steve'. Thinks Autumn is a series. Shite at COD. Search me. Mathematical legend. "Space". Likes to Fuck holmes. Currently sporting a fetching muzzy. Onion Fondler. Blinded by the light. Would like a small larger beer. Can fakh orf
  • RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #299 on: April 9, 2017, 10:53:29 pm »
Anyone got a link on where us non Sky payers can watch it per chance?

Anyone?
We may sign Salah, but I'll show my arse in the middle of town if we sign one of VVD or Keita. Not gonna happen.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #301 on: April 10, 2017, 01:05:22 pm »

Fuckin Ditto, I'd never give that c*nt my money (Murdoch that is)

Where's the line drawn exactly? Murdoch has his grubby paws in so many places. I mean before Disney came in Star Wars was essentially a Murdoch property... then there's Aliens, Life Of Pi, Die Hard etc. countless films 20th Century Fox have bankrolled.

Though I'm not saying pay for Sky, fuck knows I never will :)

:D

Offline Shepnois

• Legacy Fan
  • Livin' in the Sunshine, Lovin' in the Moonlight
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2017, 01:44:04 pm »
Episode 2 was hilarious, Brydon had Coogan cracking up, great stuff. That Michelin star restaurant they were in looked brilliant.

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #303 on: April 10, 2017, 02:29:18 pm »

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: April 10, 2017, 05:07:49 pm »
Where's the line drawn exactly? Murdoch has his grubby paws in so many places. I mean before Disney came in Star Wars was essentially a Murdoch property... then there's Aliens, Life Of Pi, Die Hard etc. countless films 20th Century Fox have bankrolled.

I draw the line at the sun and mckenzie

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: April 10, 2017, 05:14:30 pm »
finished the last four off today, wish I waited and watched them as broadcast, became a little tired of the format by the last Episode.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #306 on: April 10, 2017, 06:39:17 pm »

I draw the line at the S*n and McKenzie for obvious reasons and I have findamental objections to his model that creates monopolies to push the sale of subscriptions that then subsidise his 'news' media.

Skysports had a monopoly of Premier League football and used it to kill the opposition. He tried it with movies but had less success.

Sky Atlantic is similar - buy up good programmes developed by others to force the sale of subscriptions. I wouldn't mind so much if the prick had any interest in creating good programmes but he's a parasite who sucks the life out of popular television.

It's not a hair-shirt approach - it's almost impossible to avoid some tentacle of Murdoch's empire but I would never have a Sky subscription, never buy one of his papers and if there's something I like that's only on Sky Atlantic then I'll do without watching it and support someone else.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2017, 06:26:57 pm »
Anyone know if there is a way of watching the whole series without Now/Sly etc?

Any torrent or streaming sites got this? The usual ones I look to haven't got it

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2017, 12:46:05 am »
Brydon's impression of McCartney is spot on ;D

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2017, 11:06:21 pm »

Any torrent or streaming sites got this? The usual ones I look to haven't got it

Pop into the DaveTv thread mate and see if Dave himself has any invites for TVCUK

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #310 on: April 16, 2017, 07:16:42 am »

There's episodes 1- 6 in 720 on PB. Put up the day after your post. ;D

Pmed you a link. You won't need a proxy for it either. ;)

Oh yeah, you need to thank Oddball, he asked me for an invite for you...otherwise I wouldn't have known you needed this.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:23:53 am by dave 5516 »
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #311 on: April 16, 2017, 09:40:34 am »
There's episodes 1- 6 in 720 on PB. Put up the day after your post. ;D

Pmed you a link. You won't need a proxy for it either. ;)

Oh yeah, you need to thank Oddball, he asked me for an invite for you...otherwise I wouldn't have known you needed this.

Cheers Dave
And Oddball

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #312 on: April 16, 2017, 01:10:51 pm »

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #313 on: April 16, 2017, 02:20:23 pm »
Ah cool your al sorted. Nice one Dave :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #314 on: April 16, 2017, 02:21:11 pm »
Ah cool your al sorted. Nice one Dave :wave
;)

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #315 on: May 4, 2017, 08:59:26 am »
Watched this over the last couple of nights......loved it..couple of sequences felt a little too pre-scripted but overall the riffing is turned up a notch and it worked much better than the Trip To Italy.....very funny, very cinematic, jaw dropping scenery and as poignant as ever ....that signature plaintive piano at the end of each episode is so effective - despite the humour of the show, there's a hint of sadness that runs throughout and that somehow encapsulates it.......It's a great shame it isn't still on the BBC as it deserves a wider audience....but in this philistine age where the BBC has to slash it budgets and bin shows and ideas to keep the government and the Daily Mail off its case, that's a grim fact of life...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #316 on: May 12, 2017, 12:07:46 am »
Really enjoyed this season.

That extended conversation in Granada with Brydon talking over the Moors facts as Roger Moore was crackin me up.

Didn't expect a third series of this to still be so good. Think it's a great series (predominantly) about men aging.

Ending was pretty funny too, if a little mad!

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #317 on: May 12, 2017, 12:23:02 am »
I don't live in the UK and I don't think there's any way for me to watch this at this moment.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? It doesn't seem to be in any of the usual places.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #318 on: May 12, 2017, 01:39:26 pm »
Thought it was pretty good but not mind blowing. The first time me and the missus have ever felt the show was dragging a little. I do love the format so much though. They should do it again in a few years maybe.

That *ending* being a Red Herring obviously.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Oddball

• RAWK Diva
  • Legacy Fan
  • Woof woof woof
« Reply #319 on: May 12, 2017, 01:56:22 pm »
I don't live in the UK and I don't think there's any way for me to watch this at this moment.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? It doesn't seem to be in any of the usual places.

Its on PB if you havnt tried there?