Author Topic: International Cricket 2022 - 2023 - General Thread  (Read 877885 times)

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
Re: International Cricket 2009-2010 - General Thread
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2009, 11:46:51 pm »
Really looking forward to the game tomorrow morning. Really think it is going to be a batsman's series with both teams strong in the area. Although the pitches over there are pretty lively.

Reckon Sidey will have a good one if he plays and Trott will be top scorer.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2009, 09:50:16 am »
Real boost for England that Steyn is ruled out with injury. He's defo one of the best fast bowlers in the World at the moment. Decent start getting Smith out early doors as well after winning the toss and putting SA in to bat.  Only problem is that the pitch doesn't look like it's giving the bowlers a lot of assistance.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2009, 10:23:25 am »
Real boost for England that Steyn is ruled out with injury. He's defo one of the best fast bowlers in the World at the moment. Decent start getting Smith out early doors as well after winning the toss and putting SA in to bat.  Only problem is that the pitch doesn't look like it's giving the bowlers a lot of assistance.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=249757.0

I say we have a thread for England tours and this thread for eveything else International.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: December 17, 2009, 09:22:21 am »
Chris Gayle notched up the 5th fastest century today, off just 70 balls. Was out 2 balls later, but a fantastic knock.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2009, 09:43:40 am »
Chris Gayle notched up the 5th fastest century today, off just 70 balls. Was out 2 balls later, but a fantastic knock.

WACA made for those types of innings - Haddin the Aussie keeper went a little bananas in his half century knock, and who can forget Adam Gilchrist smashing the second fastest century against the Poms in the last Ashes out here? It was insanity. The bounce is high and the ball really comes onto the bat and it is a smallish ground by Aussie standards.
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2009, 09:50:25 am »
Heard it's all been kicking off down under. Cricinfo blocked at work, and BBC is appalling for cricket coverage, so don't have the details.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: December 17, 2009, 10:01:39 am »
Heard it's all been kicking off down under. Cricinfo blocked at work, and BBC is appalling for cricket coverage, so don't have the details.

Yeah, Aussies don't seem to get on with mavericks, especially spinners apparently. Don't know if its a product of a 'never back down' attitude or arrogance by both parties, probably a combination of both.

Remember when D K Lillee aimed a punch at Javed Miandad back in the day and Miandad shaped to clock Lillee over the head with his bat on the WACA. It's been going on for quite some time, probably started off when Ian Chappell was made Aussie Captain and the same thing happens again and again. Ponting, McGrath, Steve Waugh et al involved in similar incidents over the years.

Reminds me of a funny story I read in the superlative cricket book, Golden Boy - Mike Whitney (a minor Aussie test player back in the day and now celebrity) was pissed off with Lillee and Rod Marsh because of their continued petulance and challenged both of them to a fight outside the WACA ground after a day's play in the domestic competition. Neither of these supposed 'hard cases' turned up to the fight, probably due to cowardice.

After reading Golden Boy, my perceptions of people like Marsh, Lillee and Chappell have changed, and not for the better. Pack of arseholes and people like Ponting, who come from the same sort of cricketing school of thought, aren't much better. Wish Viv Richards was still in his prime and playing - you can bet there wouldn't be too many on-field incidents with the Aussies if he was around.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 17, 2009, 11:42:06 am »
Might take a look at that book, DB.

Think the Indians have been trying to out-do the Aussies in the petulant classless on the field shite, over the last few years. With Harbhajan leading the way.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 17, 2009, 12:29:43 pm »

It's well worth it, though I don't know where you'd get a copy in the UK - some unbelievable stories there about the treatment of Kim Hughes (who the book is about), including Lillee constantly bouncing him at full pace during net sessions. It's a great read and many pages have your blood boiling at some of the actions of supposed 'legends' of Australian cricket.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #89 on: December 17, 2009, 12:36:32 pm »

Roy Fredericks did a similar thing many years ago on the same track - though Perth was mush faster then. Also he lashed Lillee and Thomson who were a wee bit sharper than the present Aussie lot.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2009, 01:48:39 pm »

Think the Indians have been trying to out-do the Aussies in the petulant classless on the field shite, over the last few years. With Harbhajan leading the way.
Its what you've got to be though. When you a ruthless and hate to lose two things happen. You win a lot of games and you look like a pack of c*nts.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2009, 02:47:25 pm »
Its what you've got to be though. When you a ruthless and hate to lose two things happen. You win a lot of games and you look like a pack of c*nts.

I totally agree mate, and it's no surprise that we are having our most successful spell ever. It's why loved Ganguly so much. I think he was the first Indian Captain to drop the "yes sir, yes sir" attitude, and commanded respect. Also with Harbhajan, love his ballsy attitude. Although slapping a team mate is probably taking it to far.

Offline Dread Breath

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2009, 02:59:05 pm »
I think there is a way to play cricket without becoming an arsehole - some great sides in the past have succeeded without resorting to being a piece of shit in order to win.

Offline nicholasanthony

• RAWK Australian cricket correspondent & 2014 AFL tipping champion of the World
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 17, 2009, 03:18:21 pm »
I think there is a way to play cricket without becoming an arsehole - some great sides in the past have succeeded without resorting to being a piece of shit in order to win.
Well i'd like to think that there aren't many teams at all that have been pieces of shit. They have played hard, demanded respect, been aggressive and not backed down. Like i said, doing this can make you look bad. But to me its an element that great teams have, in most sports. What has been the undoing for Australia has been the team accepting the criticism from our own media and trying to adapt to it. We as a nation became so used to winning we said "hey, cant we do this and look like great guys at the same time". So we tried that and I think it weakened the mentality of the team. It might just come to the point where we get tired of no longer being the best and the media decided its ok for the team to be ruthless again.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2009, 08:59:39 am »
WACA made for those types of innings - Haddin the Aussie keeper went a little bananas in his half century knock, and who can forget Adam Gilchrist smashing the second fastest century against the Poms in the last Ashes out here? It was insanity. The bounce is high and the ball really comes onto the bat and it is a smallish ground by Aussie standards.

I think the WACA now holds 1,2,3 & 5 in the fastest test tons.

This is starting to turn into an interesting match again after the Windies compitulated this afternoon.

Aussie have a 300ish lead but 4 down and Ponting unlikely to bat.

Can still only see a Aussie win however.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2009, 09:15:03 am »
Aussies now 6 down with a lead of 325.

Still no sign of Ponting.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2009, 09:16:27 am »
Is it Day 3 or 4 at the WACA?

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2009, 09:17:13 am »
Is it Day 3 or 4 at the WACA?

Day 3 about 40 mins left
Obi-Wan:

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2009, 09:19:03 am »
Thanks mate.

Could be an intresting finish then if Windies get these last 4 wickets cheapish.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2009, 09:20:32 am »
Thanks mate.

Could be an intresting finish then if Windies get these last 4 wickets cheapish.

Well Ponting took a nasty blow on the elbow yesterday so may not bat.

14 wickets fallen today.
Obi-Wan:

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 18, 2009, 09:21:30 am »
Well Ponting took a nasty blow on the elbow yesterday

Always good to hear ;)

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 18, 2009, 09:24:37 am »
Always good to hear ;)

Indeed :)

Wasn't yesterday but on day one. Justin Langer was in the commentary box and said Ponting would rather kick his stumps over than retire hurt. After 20 minutes of trying Ponting had to give up. The pain was so intense ;)
Obi-Wan:

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2009, 09:28:26 am »
He certainly is a stubborn bugger.

I think I’d actually like him if he wasn’t an Aussie.

Offline Alucard

• Tnuoc
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2009, 09:30:39 am »
Shit, the aussies weren't doing so bad before I left for work, I knew i should have have stayed in. All I see is people in shorts and singlets in Perth and its -2 over here.

Could be an interesting day tomorrow if the pitch starts to crack up, this could be over within 4 days if the aussies can take advantage.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
Another one goes. 7 down lead 333.

Here comes Ponting.
Obi-Wan:

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2009, 09:43:59 am »
I think the WACA now holds 1,2,3 & 5 in the fastest test tons.

Fastest ever was Viv at St Johns, Antigua.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2009, 09:44:24 am »
If Australia are bowled out with a  lead of say 350-370, Chris Gayle will have a to play a mammoth yet sensible innings in the same manner he did in Adelaide when he carried his bat.

They'll need their big batters to get in, get good scores and not lose silly wickets. Should be an exciting end to the Test match.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2009, 09:45:32 am »
Fastest ever was Viv at St Johns, Antigua.

That's weird 'cause they said it was at the WACA. I must of misheard.
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2009, 09:48:08 am »
Roach is coming on. He's the bloke who did damage to Ponting on day one. Ponting on strike :)
Obi-Wan:

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:07 am »

It was against England mate. And on his home ground. The place went crazy for about a week.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:06 am »
Ponting.......gone for 2.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:16 am »
Ponting gone for 2.

8 down lead 341
Obi-Wan:

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:08 am »

2nd, 5th and 6th fastest have come at the WACA.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/ci/content/records/210170.html

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:22 am »
It was against England mate. And on his home ground. The place went crazy for about a week.

I don't doubt you. Maybe I'd had a few beers too many
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: December 18, 2009, 09:54:45 am »
16 wickets gone today. I don't hold much hope for the Windies though.
Obi-Wan:

Offline CheshireDave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2009, 09:56:43 am »
On the topic of fastest tons this is intresting - NJ Astle's second hundred in his 222 v England at Christchurch in 2001/02 took 39 balls.

39 Balls!!

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2009, 09:58:09 am »
On the topic of fastest tons this is intresting - NJ Astle's second hundred in his 222 v England at Christchurch in 2001/02 took 39 balls.

39 Balls!!

Yeah. That was a great knock. One of the best ever.
Obi-Wan:

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2009, 10:02:04 am »
And that's stumps. Aussies 137/8 lead of 345 with 2 days remaining.
Obi-Wan:

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2009, 10:07:11 am »

http://anonymouse.org/cgi-bin/anon-www.cgi/http://www.cricinfo.com/
C'est la vie.

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2009, 10:09:49 am »
Who said that One-day internationals are dead in the face of 20/20 cricket?

A game like the one I watched today restores my faith in one-dayers.

A game like that kills my remaining interest in one day cricket.

No contest between batsmen and bowlers, what a horrendus pitch and i cant see the trend changing.