Author Topic: How do you make Scouse?  (Read 27863 times)

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
How do you make Scouse?
« on: May 23, 2009, 05:26:59 pm »
Did a search but 50 pages came up.  :(

Anyway living in Manchester I don't have it as often as I used to when I was back home *sigh*.

Now my bird makes this stew stuff with corned beef and its nice but its not scouse so I thought I'd ask the fine people of RAWK for the recipe and how to cook it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did try to make it once but it was awful.
JFT96 - YNWA

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
Re: How do you make Scouse?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 05:31:47 pm »
stew with corned beef? that sounds horriffic.
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 05:32:55 pm »
Did a search but 50 pages came up.  :(

Anyway living in Manchester I don't have it as often as I used to when I was back home *sigh*.

Now my bird makes this stew stuff with corned beef and its nice but its not scouse so I thought I'd ask the fine people of RAWK for the recipe and how to cook it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I did try to make it once but it was awful.

Bet she has read this now thinking he can fuck off if he thinks im making my corned beef stew again lol.  :wave

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 05:34:53 pm »

It's surprisingly nice, my mother has made it for years.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Cochise

• Not the man he used to be and is looking for a fresh start. Still cannot escape the fact that he's had an X-Factor Winner. Twice.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 05:35:31 pm »

They all seem to have it around here, they even have it in the local boozer on Fridays. Its quite nice.
JFT96 - YNWA

Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

Offline grimreaper

• this is a new one... ok it's shite but it is a no-brainer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »

Sounds rank

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:38:02 pm »

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 06:31:18 pm »
Get a saucepan out

Pour in some olive oil

Fry your meat of choice until its browned (marinading it in worcester sauce prior to cooking gives it a nice flavour)

Chop up your veg, i.e: carrots & onions. I also like to use barley

Peel your spuds.

Fill the pot with water covering the meat, then add in spuds and veg

Chuck in an oxo cube or two then cover and let simmer for a couple of hours

Go to pub

Return from pub hungry

Open the pot and get stuck in

If you want you could have a re-naming ceromony and call it stew, thats optional :P
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 07:52:36 pm »
Make sure you wash the meat first.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 07:57:03 pm »

royhendo

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 09:53:22 pm »
When two Liverpudlians love each other very, very much... ;)

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 09:58:37 pm »
If your bird can't make a pan of scouse,get the bin bags out & show her the pavement from the front bedroom window-that should help.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »
Get mince, peel a load of spuds then cut them into smallish squares. Boil em so they are soft(ish) and do the same with carrots.
Brown the mince, put in a big pan with onions, add a bisto cube and stock, throw it all in together and let it boil and simmer for 20 odd mins. When it seems done and a fair bit of the water has boiled away serve with a bit of crusty bread and red cabbage.

Thats roughly how we do it - me Dad used to make the best Scouse ive ever had. Ive missed  few details there im sure but that should take you most of the way.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 10:31:08 pm »
Mince?

Corned Beef?

Barley?

Why don't you just throw a fucking Sayers' pastie in it you gang of dirty bastards! Stewing steak is the only meat you can use or it's not fucking Scouse. Call it whatever the fuck you want except Scouse. And anyway, if your bird is a Manc, just fuck her off on general fucking principles.   :D
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 10:31:47 pm »
I think Nidgemo came up with this recipe.

1)  Make Irish stew.
2)  Give it a different name.
3)  Serve.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 10:56:13 pm »

1)  Make Irish stew.
3)  Serve.

Don't be daft corkboy. We all know Irish stew is just a combination of mash, boiled potatoes and roasties. Covered in gravy.   :P
Macca resplendent!

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 11:01:03 pm »

1)  Make Irish stew.
3)  Serve.

Ah yes, it was indeed nidgemo. I knew someone said it before, hence why I posted this : ;D

If you want you could have a re-naming ceromony and call it stew, thats optional :P
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline red annie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 11:33:52 pm »
onions carrots spuds meat(we use lamb) water salt pepper. cook. cool. reheat next day. eat

What else do you need to know?

Anything else is stew not scouse

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 11:45:00 pm »
I am on a gluten free diet and now live in York (not because I am on gluten free diet I hasten to add!!) but OXO are full of gluten!! How do you make a gluten free Scouse ie without wheat oats rye or barley??

And my old mum made the best Scouse ever so there!!! and she's now 85 so she was born b4 all of your mums!!!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Bootle

• Legacy Fan
  • Prove that we live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 12:03:54 am »
Mince?

Corned Beef?

Barley?

Why don't you just throw a fucking Sayers' pastie in it you gang of dirty bastards! Stewing steak is the only meat you can use or it's not fucking Scouse. Call it whatever the fuck you want except Scouse. And anyway, if your bird is a Manc, just fuck her off on general fucking principles.   :D

haha, you're right in every respect. Barley? Christ Almighty. Thats as bad as a mate of mine who covers a roast dinner in brown sauce, daft twat.

Love a bit of beetroot on my scouse, loads of pepper too.

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 12:42:34 am »
haha, you're right in every respect. Barley? Christ Almighty. Thats as bad as a mate of mine who covers a roast dinner in brown sauce, daft twat.
Love a bit of beetroot on my scouse, loads of pepper too.

;D

I remember asking for the tomato sauce with my Sunday roast when I was a kid, and my mam nearly fucking killed me! 

I am on a gluten free diet and now live in York (not because I am on gluten free diet I hasten to add!!) but OXO are full of gluten!! How do you make a gluten free Scouse ie without wheat oats rye or barley??

And my old mum made the best Scouse ever so there!!! and she's now 85 so she was born before all of your mums!!!!!

Simple mate. Don't put any fucking wheats, oats, rye or barley in it cos you're making Scouse, not soup or stew! And instead of OXO, use these. Knorr beef gravy and cubes are gluten free.  :wave

http://www.knorr.co.uk/static/range_details.aspx
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 03:20:24 am by macca888 »
Macca resplendent!

Offline Cochise

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • DON'T BUY THE S*N
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2009, 01:58:24 am »
Thanks for the tips. I'll be giving this a try on monday.
JFT96 - YNWA

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2009, 09:46:37 am »
Stewing steak is the only meat you can use or it's not fucking Scouse.

It's not Scouse if you don't use lamb.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2009, 09:49:35 am »
How do you make a Swiss roll?

Offline Andy G

• has just had sex. Possibly with Martin Tyler
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • They shot the wrong bloody Kennedy
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 09:58:47 am »
Scouse traditionally was with lamb.  Marinade in Worcester sauce, brown off with the onions and throw into a large saucepan and then add veg (usually potatoes and carrots but certainly not peas).  Add stock and put on high heat until boiling, then simmer on low heat for hours.  Add HP sauce and stir in thoroughly then simmer for more hours.  In the fridge overnight and ready to heat up again and eat the following day.
Emancipate your selves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 10:00:59 am »

Push him down a hill.

What's a Greek urn?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:14 am »
about €2000 a month
If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:38 am »
Classics ;D

Offline NineTails20

• Solomon's "Mrs Robinson".
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 10:18:30 am »
Sounds very similar to Irish Stew. Irish Stew was/is traditionally made with lamb, but we use minced beef and stewing pieces if we don't really like lamb.

For some reason, I always thought Scouse was the same as a Dublin Coddle.
From his stupid, ugly, pug-faced, smarmy, poncing, play-acting, Oh-look-at-me greasy hair to his crybaby, stupid, cheating, dirty antics he can fuck off the horrible little poodle faced gazumpadum.

Offline lainey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 11:44:47 am »
I put the carrots and swede in a good 20 mins before adding the potatoes as they take longer

depends if you like your taters to go into the gravy (which is does when left anyway and is good)

no cereal either - my mum used to put celery in it till we stopped her

my granma used mince but my mum always used stewing steak - matter of taste

I make the veg scouse my grandad made now - bloody lovely

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 11:48:16 am »
And my old mum made the best Scouse ever so there!!! and she's now 85 so she was born before all of your mums!!!!!

My nan is 86 and I contend that she makes the best scouse ever... she also does the best sausage pasta bake in the entire history of mankind.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 10:11:38 pm »
My nan is 86 and I contend that she makes the best scouse ever... she also does the best sausage pasta bake in the entire history of mankind.

ah yes but she is your nan and mine is my mum so I win - kerching!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13:22 pm »
Simple mate. Don't put any fucking wheats, oats, rye or barley in it cos you're making Scouse, not soup or stew! And instead of OXO, use these. Knorr beef gravy and cubes are gluten free.  :wave

No need to swear!!

Offline macca888

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 02:55:18 am »
It's not Scouse if you don't use lamb.

I know you're supposed to use beef AND beef Dava, but lamb is a really fatty and unhealthy meat mate!

No need to swear!!

No need to say thanks for me going out of my way to specifically find gluten free gravy granules and stock cubes to help you after YOUR request. I haven't got Coeliacs Disease, so it's not like it's common knowledge. Maybe the fact that you need a gluten free diet, it would have been much easier to find it out for yourself? Anyway, next time you need help and advice, here's a link for you www.tryusinggoogleyoufuckinglazyungratefulprick.co.uk   :wanker

Macca resplendent!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 09:30:25 am »
It's beef and the usual suspects for veg, flour your beef, brown off then add water or stock then ye veggies
anyone putting mince or corned beef in wants fuckin big style..... wools the lot of um'

To make it thick it's all in the spuds, cut a load small and a load large, the small ones disintegrate adding starch into
ye scouse making it thicker. Then leave overnight and hey presto the best scouse about.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 09:31:23 am »
Hold a gun to his head.

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
I know you're supposed to use beef AND beef Dava, but lamb is a really fatty and unhealthy meat mate!

No need to say thanks for me going out of my way to specifically find gluten free gravy granules and stock cubes to help you after YOUR request. I haven't got Coeliacs Disease, so it's not like it's common knowledge. Maybe the fact that you need a gluten free diet, it would have been much easier to find it out for yourself? Anyway, next time you need help and advice, here's a link for you www.tryusinggoogleyoufuckinglazyungratefulprick.co.uk   :wanker

I am really sorry for upsetting you but it was a smidgeon of a joke to say "No need to swear"
Please forgive me. It is really strange when we take comments the wrong way, I do it all the time because I misread text. Again sorry and thanks for your input on gluten free stuff I will get my coat.

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Kopite
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 11:27:10 pm »
Just what I was thinking (maybe not so strong cos it wasn't me who made the effort) ... I didn't even have a clue what stuff's got gluten in it anyway and I can't be alone. Christ, if you're on a gluten-free diet, isn't finding out what you can eat the sort of thing you do.

Ask yer mum, SD. (PS. I bet someone's got an older mum than yours.)

macca888, your link could've been www.tryusinggoogleyoufuckinglazyungrateful.co.ck
Thanks for your input mate, my original request was in respect to making a PROPER pan of Scouse and yes I do have to investigate if food is gluten free every single day of my life thanks
Do you know what it is like to have to read a can of feckin beans made by some German company that provides facilities to Aldi to see if the words "Ich bin ein can ze gluten vrei" is imprinted in very very small script on the mangled can?
No I didn't think you did.
Thanks Macca 888 and again sorry for appearing ungrateful.

By the way an endoscopy and colonoscopy every couple of years ensures you do check the labels!!!
Come on Barca!!!!

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »
I thought the point of Scouse was that you use a cheapish cut of the lamb

Is right. Hence mince none of this fancy dan stewing steak bullshit. Thats scouse for posh people.

Start by eating the frogs legs
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 8, 2009, 01:12:55 pm »
I may attempt my first pan of scouse today. People in the Tower Hamlets area of London, prepare yourselves for either mass hungries from the smell of my delicious tea bubbling away or the sound of 100 fire engines fighting the flames.

I am of course making blind scouse, and I don't have the biggest pan in the world so I don't think I can do a 4 hour simmer like me mum used to. I hope it's nice.