Author Topic: Jazz..  (Read 32162 times)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jazz..
« on: October 2, 2008, 06:55:27 pm »
Right well i fancy having a listen to some easy listening, relaxing jazz songs to download buy but don't have a clue where to start. Anyone have any advice on what songs/what artists etc would be best?

Thanks in advance

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
Re: Jazz..
« Reply #1 on: October 2, 2008, 07:15:22 pm »
As far as relaxing stuff goes you want to try some Oscar Peterson like "We Get Requests" or "Chet Baker and Crew" by Chet or "Way Out West" by Sonny Rollins or (my personal favourite late night Jazz album) "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell

that lot  may well be hard to find but easier would be The Portico Quartets "Knee Deep in the North Sea" .. .it was nominated for the Mercury Prize this year (the token jazz album :) ) but it's very laid back ... don't think I've heard steel drums used in Jazz before that one
"There are two great teams in Liverpool.... Liverpool and Liverpool Reserves"

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #2 on: October 2, 2008, 07:18:18 pm »
Jazz is bad.
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 3, 2008, 10:07:49 am »
^

THELONIOUS MONK QUARTET - 'ROUND MIDNIGHT

Ahhh. Fourth time I've played that today since I went searching for Dolphy and saw Thelonious's name pop up in that youtube list bit. Dolphy, Mingus, Davis, Parker, Coltrane et al... wish I had the cash. I'd need a million bucks to spend in flea markets across America to satiate it or least begin to understand it. That clip above tho - and that little quiet, classical ending, is just heaven to me.

You're not human if you can't simply fall in love with this shit.

Get your lips around this little baby... Miles Davis & John Coltrane: Round Midnight
« Last Edit: October 3, 2008, 11:15:45 pm by Filler. »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 3, 2008, 06:07:38 pm »
As far as relaxing stuff goes you want to try some Oscar Peterson like "We Get Requests" or "Chet Baker and Crew" by Chet or "Way Out West" by Sonny Rollins or (my personal favourite late night Jazz album) "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell

that lot  may well be hard to find but easier would be The Portico Quartets "Knee Deep in the North Sea" .. .it was nominated for the Mercury Prize this year (the token jazz album :) ) but it's very laid back ... don't think I've heard steel drums used in Jazz before that one
... gibbon. ;)

There's different ideas about relaxing, or at least I may have a different idea to it, but Miles Davis released countless LP's and for me it's a take your pick type affair. There's quite a bit of squaking and doobeldeebap! bing. zzzzzzzzzzzz blip! but does the trick for me. Thelonious Monk, Eric Dolphy's 'Out To Lunch'? Easy now baby... eeeasy.  8)

Eric Dolphy - Something Sweet, Something Tender

... such a massive genre...
thanks to you both

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 3, 2008, 11:17:15 pm »
shit... looks like I edited out my own post by mistake ... Ha.

^

Ahhh. Fourth time I've played that today since I went searching for Dolphy and saw Thelonious's name pop up in that youtube list bit. Dolphy, Mingus, Davis, Parker, Coltrane et al... wish I had the cash. I'd need a million bucks to spend in flea markets across America to satiate it or least begin to understand it. That clip above tho - and that little quiet, classical ending, is just heaven to me.

You're not human if you can't simply fall in love with this shit.

Get your lips around this little baby... Miles Davis & John Coltrane: Round Midnight

Offline Mook

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 4, 2008, 11:04:58 am »
You can't go wrong with 'Kind of Blue' by Miles Davis.

Another album I'd recommend is 'Ballads' by John Coltrane.

Offline Jankulovski

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: October 4, 2008, 03:36:48 pm »

Seconded, I'd also recommend "A Love Supreme" by Coltrane.
George Foreman: This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Offline SpenceUK1968

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 4, 2008, 03:43:06 pm »
John Coltraine, Miles Davis and Charlie Parker might well work out. They're who I usually turn to when I feel like chilling out a bit.

(edit) Blimey, I just read up the thread a bit, I should have just typed ditto. ;D

Offline skidz73

• Kind Kenny... what a gent...
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't Drink and Post.
« Reply #9 on: October 4, 2008, 04:16:48 pm »
Right well i fancy having a listen to some easy listening, relaxing jazz songs to download buy but don't have a clue where to start. Anyone have any advice on what songs/what artists etc would be best?

Thanks in advance

I always loved john coltrane's Naima. Beautiful tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ywkpVJ624
By the way, I should tell you that I haven’t had a chance to shower while making my way up here, my balls are extra vinegary.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #10 on: October 4, 2008, 04:33:05 pm »
I'd love to get into jazz, I always enjoy listening to it when it happens to be on in the background, and the few jazz tracks I have on my iPod (Five Spot After Dark has been getting a lot of mileage lately) I listen to death. I don't really know where to start to educate myself about it though.

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #11 on: October 4, 2008, 06:55:11 pm »

Oh Yes ..... Oh Yes .... very definitely Yes ! 

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
« Reply #12 on: October 4, 2008, 07:05:01 pm »
I have "The man in the green shirt" from Miles Davis.. its a kind of best of.   Its a good place to start, can't really go wrong with Davis and Coltrane, as others have said.
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline bigal

• Not Bi. Or a Gal for that matter.
  • Kopite
  • Allez les rouges
« Reply #13 on: October 4, 2008, 07:10:29 pm »

'Kind of Blue' is a great great album in any genre. Definitely a must have

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 4, 2008, 07:38:42 pm »
I'd love to get into jazz, I always enjoy listening to it when it happens to be on in the background, and the few jazz tracks I have on my iPod (Five Spot After Dark has been getting a lot of mileage lately) I listen to death. I don't really know where to start to educate myself about it though.
exactly the same with me, i was motivated to start this thread when sat in a really comfortable leather seat in starbucks with a capaccino and some jazz music in the background, wondering why the hell i don't have any jazz on my ipod.

thanks for the replies everyone, i'll have a look round for the stuff thats been mentioned :wave

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 4, 2008, 08:41:07 pm »

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 4, 2008, 08:52:27 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QevcpMqmxwE

above is Montreal City, another nice Jazz piece.
Maybe you don't want jazz after all, just easy listening, which I can find you a couple of nice examples...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-7fFFBa3qo  =  AIM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6l8zrsf4LY  =  Seu Jorge singing 'Life on Mars'

Offline lurganboy

• Legacy Fan
  • Look! It's that bellend from 606!
« Reply #17 on: October 5, 2008, 12:00:49 am »
Each to his own and all that. If you don't like jazz then piss off to another thread. If you do, then you'll know most that is being suggested. If you#re an in-betweenee or an haventgotacluelee then listen to -

Kind of Blue - probably most people who veer even near jazz listen to this. One of THE key albums of the 20th century. Even if you don't like jazz it is an album you should know.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: October 5, 2008, 12:21:14 am »
Top thread, fucking love the limited amount of Jazz I've been introduced to. Keep 'em coming.

Been to the Montreaux Jazz festival a couple of times, but it kinda wasn't the 'Jazz' that you associate typical jazz, but it's been top none-the-less.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #19 on: October 5, 2008, 12:27:16 am »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 5, 2008, 11:12:07 am »
It's a shame I can't find the opening track to Dolphy's 'Out To Lunch' on youtube or anywhere else, but damn it's good. Listening to it on in the original vinyl version on Blue Note which could help, but it's a sparkling track. Starts off very 'Pink Panther' and then he gets out his bass clarinet, and he makes it sound like he's strangling a goose, or blowing air up a ducks arse. It's eye-wateringly beautiful. Then Freddie Hubbard on trumpet comes in, a young kid at the time, and it cools a little. It's still high tempo tho. On the back of the record it has some brief liner notes for each song, and to quote, 'It opens in 5/4, but once the whole group is in, the basic count is 9/4.'

I don't know what that means either.

I found this tho:

http://blog.swanfungus.com/2008/05/treasures-from-collectors-slum-023.html

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 5, 2008, 12:13:56 pm »
http://blog.swanfungus.com/2008/05/treasures-from-collectors-slum-023.html

Click this link... didn't think that the 'Mediafire Download Link' contained the whole albums but they do... 'Out To Lunch!' and, just below it, 'Out There'. Lovely :)

Offline Victor

• Legacy Fan
  • Daa Dah Daaaaaaaaaa
« Reply #22 on: October 5, 2008, 02:49:12 pm »
Not the best track on the album but the only one I could find on YouTube :)  from Kenny Burrell album I mentioned above "Midnight Blue"  .. .a supremely talented Jazz guitarist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2VVPQYzxso

Offline Huytonian

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: October 5, 2008, 06:01:01 pm »
A Love Supreme. John Coltrane.

Amandla. Miles.

Vibe. Steps Ahead.

three corkers to be getting on with!

We’re not English. We’re SCOUSE.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 6, 2008, 02:45:07 pm »
Anyone ever been to the regular live nights at Alexander's in Chester?

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 7, 2008, 04:32:55 pm »

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #26 on: October 7, 2008, 04:49:28 pm »
im a musician and I have alot of respect for any music / artist putting themsleves out there but im afraid to say Jazz is utter bullshit , the only good thing about Jazz i suppose is that it is probably the most Natural form of music but that still doesnt take away from the fact that its utter shite - but hey thats just my opinion  ;D
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 7, 2008, 05:09:22 pm »
im a musician

This is a thread about sharing info about jazz, and the exponents of jazz. It's not a thread about laying down one's opinion about jazz, no matter how ignorant, but you have surpassed things. If someone has an intelligent response to denounce it, then we're here baby.

What do you mean jazz is the most natural form of music? And yet bullshit?

You're what I'd call, a gobshite. I don't expect anything heavy or knowledgable from you as a response, but shit me, this could be good...

as an addendum: You're a Coldplay fan yes?
« Last Edit: October 7, 2008, 05:11:10 pm by Filler. »

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 7, 2008, 05:24:02 pm »
^^ lol

thanks for the links Filler and everyone else, i've got a lot to get through!

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 7, 2008, 06:52:02 pm »
It's probably wrong, god knows, but you have to slip in the name of Julie London in all this. The greatest jazz voice of all time. You won't hear a better song.

Julie London: Possibly the greatest voice of all time. One to battle with Sinatra anyhow. Am sure he'd give it up for her, but realising the pretence, she's demolish him in one easy swipe.

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #30 on: October 8, 2008, 04:51:50 am »
mate go out and get Thelonius Monk with John Coltrane right now. It will blow you away.

http://www.amazon.com/Thelonious-Monk-John-Coltrane/dp/B000000Y2F/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1223437804&sr=8-2
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline IloveGuinness17

• Knows fuck all about waves...
  • Legacy Fan
  • M.I.A.
« Reply #31 on: October 8, 2008, 04:55:24 am »
im a musician and I have alot of respect for any music / artist putting themsleves out there but im afraid to say Jazz is utter bullshit , the only good thing about Jazz i suppose is that it is probably the most Natural form of music but that still doesnt take away from the fact that its utter shite - but hey thats just my opinion  ;D

WANKER.
JFT 96-Solidarity

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #32 on: October 8, 2008, 05:29:55 am »
I grew up with jazz, with my Dad being a huge jazzhead.  In his student days in England he used to hitchhike all over Europe to listen to his heroes and imbued a huge love of the music in me.  Artists I love include many that have already been mentioned.

Miles Davis - in addition to the albums mentioned, check out Sketches from Spain.  Huge, huge musical sound, best listened to on a beach at sunset time.

John Coltrane - possibly the coolest jazzman of all time for me.  Check out Soultrane, Lush Life, My Favourite Things and any number of live recordings.  He played w lot with Miles Davis - notably on Kind of Blue and Milestones.  Utterly mouthwatering.

Stan Getz - not necessarily always one of the top of the list for the purists but a great musician nonetheless.  His "bossa nova years" gave rise to Latin Jazz and made the voice of Astrud Gilberto the most played, and abused, voice of the genre.

Herbie Mann - a sweeter flute you will not hear.  His summertime was the first chune I learnt to play and for me, no one has come close.

Ike Quebec - Not very well known but the quintessential smokey jazz club sound with a gravelly melancholy that fucks you up - in a good way.  One of my favourite albums of any kind of music is his Blue and Sentimental.

Other favourites include Monk, Charlie Mingus (another genius), The Dave Brubeck Quartet or Quintet, particularly Paul Desmond, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon (oustanding) and the prolific and brilliant Bill Evans.  Will try and post more later.

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2008, 10:04:41 pm »
Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Rweqx0pusT0

When I filled in my application form for the greatest job in the world, i.e.. Sephton's, this was my half time essay for Liverpool 1 Everton 0.

I'd be the greatest up there I'm fucking telling yer.

Offline gritsvanilla

• Legacy Fan
  • A Light Souffle With Razor Blades
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2008, 01:00:55 am »
Good call with Sketches Of Spain Raul, my fave Miles album ever. Best listened to on a beach preferably in Spain.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2008, 02:46:56 am »
Herbie Mann
Beats you all hands down, uh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxZfhoFUkVg 

or live  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRsOCKENeJU&feature=related

One of my faves - Music is just a game we play.

Plus Kind of Blue  of course - Canonball Adderley steels it for me.

I think the lonely arse monk is a bit much for a jazz virgin - maybe Oscar, Art Tatum (my personal fave) or Bill Evans.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2008, 02:55:22 pm »
Miles Davis would be hard to go past.

If you want some modern post-jazz then I suggest you check out The Drift. Amazing stuff!

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2008, 11:07:45 pm »
Anyway, we can't have a jazz thread on a Liverpool website without mentioning our very own Gary Potter. Any fans out there. Anyone know how he's doing and what he's up to nowadays?

If you haven't seen him and you get a chance, grab it with both hands - believe me he wouldn't sound out of place on stage with Oscar Peterson. You will probably never see a better guitarist.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2008, 06:24:01 pm »
Well thanks again to everyone for their comments, i've had a listen to as much as i could find and i am definitely a convert. Only today i discovered all the jazz radio stations that you can listen to on itunes and its good stuff, really enjoying it.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2008, 10:12:10 am »
Some good suggestions already. Who in the world who has accidentally stumbled across 'Sketches of Spain' hasn't stopped what they were doing for several years and enjoyed the divine presence of God? 

No mention yet, I think, for Art Pepper (especially 'Roadgame' and the Village Vanguard recordings). Also Lester Bowie and (for piano) Keith Jarrett (there's a thread somewhere on here about the Koln Concert).
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.