Author Topic: I could have been a contender - The Vic Gill Story  (Read 327675 times)

Offline RedsofAnfield

• Main Stander
Re: In My Life-The Vic Gill Story
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2011, 07:50:04 pm »
Vic: read your story while thousands of miles away and on the subway. Hanging on every word. Thanks for writing this, looking forward to reading about the rest of your remarkable life.

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2011, 08:51:32 pm »
Fantastic read mate, cheers.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline Alphaville

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lucas Lover
« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2011, 09:32:02 pm »
Fantastic read, Vic! Please keep those stories and anecdotes coming :)
Check out my friend's band Fevers and their new EP (free to download): http://fevers.bandcamp.com/

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2011, 08:04:40 am »
Vic: read your story while thousands of miles away and on the subway. Hanging on every word. Thanks for writing this, looking forward to reading about the rest of your remarkable life.

Bloody amazing and thank you

Fantastic read, Vic! Please keep those stories and anecdotes coming :)

Thanks mate, glad you enjoy them
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2011, 10:28:36 am »
Fantastic read mate, cheers.

Missed you Jason, apologies and thank you for the kind words
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2011, 01:33:55 pm »
Brilliant - cant believe ive missed this for so long.

Will go back to it at the weekend and re read it, as ive had to skim it abit this afternoon. You should get this put into proper book form, Vic!
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2011, 07:06:54 pm »
Glad to see this hasnt sunk back into the archives again  Vic .
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2011, 08:43:01 am »
Glad to see this hasnt sunk back into the archives again  Vic .

;D   just found it on page three  ;D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2011, 09:32:00 am »
Wow Vic, that was a great read - some pretty amazing anecdotes there! I have a scary Scottish father-in-law too but I don't think it would make for quite such an interesting read!

Offline the invisible man

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2011, 04:59:50 am »
Was I friends with Alan A'Court ? he was one of my favourite players, one of those I looked up to, so we really weren't friends but he was a really nice man, always had time to talk with us younger players. he was about 10yrs.older than me.

talking of Alan A'Court Vic, i watched him at Tranmere on a FRiday night, me and my brother used to sell programmes at Tranmere on a Friday and at Everton or Liverpool on the saturdays, it was a real pocket money job...lol

and, I always remember a crew-cutted lad called Mandy Hill who was Number 7 at Rovers when A'Court was number 11...

but no one i've ever spoken to remembers him, do you Vic, or anyone else here, I know he was 'shit off a shovel..' fast and up the right wing just like Cally used to be...

If anyone remembers him, any idea what happened to him..???

t.i.m...

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2011, 05:25:50 am »
talking of Alan A'Court Vic, i watched him at Tranmere on a FRiday night, me and my brother used to sell programmes at Tranmere on a Friday and at Everton or Liverpool on the saturdays, it was a real pocket money job...lol

and, I always remember a crew-cutted lad called Mandy Hill who was Number 7 at Rovers when A'Court was number 11...

but no one i've ever spoken to remembers him, do you Vic, or anyone else here, I know he was 'shit off a shovel..' fast and up the right wing just like Cally used to be...

If anyone remembers him, any idea what happened to him..???

This might be who you're after - afraid to say he's just recently passed away:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hill_(footballer)
and
 http://www.blackpool-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/stephen_mandy_hill_19402010_603962/index.shtml

Offline phil9909

• Main Stander
  • A red down under
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2011, 05:32:44 am »
good read, cheers  8)

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2011, 05:44:50 am »
This might be who you're after - afraid to say he's just recently passed away:
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hill_(footballer)
and
 http://www.blackpool-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/stephen_mandy_hill_19402010_603962/index.shtml

wow thanks dave mate, what a shame i just missed him. RIP Mandy.....

that's why i never found him when i looked, he was called Stephen....

thanks i am really grateful...
t.i.m...

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:00 pm »

If anyone remembers him, any idea what happened to him.. ???

glad that's been sorted for you mate, personally I never heard of the lad. Hope all is well in oz   :wave

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 8, 2011, 11:57:44 pm »
Hi Vic, just came across this again, thought i  would give it a little bump lol    I hope  you are feeling  a lot better these days and  that   you can get back to your writing and finish it. So many people are waiting LOL  and im waiting to wear my hat still !!

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #95 on: June 9, 2011, 03:42:24 pm »
Hi Vic, just came across this again, thought i  would give it a little bump lol    I hope  you are feeling  a lot better these days and  that   you can get back to your writing and finish it. So many people are waiting LOL  and im waiting to wear my hat still !!

me too vic... hows it going mate.....

ynwa...
t.i.m...

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 2, 2011, 02:11:16 pm »
thanks for that mate

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: September 2, 2011, 08:11:30 pm »
  Ressurection Guarrenteed 

Hi Vic,   Does this mean i can get my hat out of the hatbox yet ?  ;D   talk about keeping us in suspense.How you doing with it these days now that you are feelings lots better ?  Have you managed to find time to get back into it ?  I dont want my hat getting moth `eaten  ;)  I want to visit liverpool sometime again lol lol . Anyway good luck Vic  and trust you are well  :wave
« Last Edit: September 2, 2011, 08:16:12 pm by flw »

royhendo

« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2011, 08:54:27 am »
Great that this has been bumped over here, cheers Kev :)

Offline El Rey, por favor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2011, 04:31:59 pm »
Is Vic Shankly's son?

A little big of research goes a long way, so he's his son-in-law, what a lucky fella.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:38:01 pm by El Rey »
PLEASE DONATE TO MY LONDON MARATHON RUN IN AID OF CROHN'S AND COLITIS UK: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=312885

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2011, 08:19:46 pm »
What a lovely surprise, thank you very much Kev  :wave

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2011, 02:13:59 am »
Ah-Ha  Just spotted this , glad to see this has been moved to opinion.  Hows it going Vic, Have you managed to get your thoughts back onto your book again yet  ?, would be such a shame if it went un finished. Hope you will be back on the road to recovery soon and will be able to get back to the writing  soon . I know its hard sometimes  to get back into it  when you ve had a break and it does take a bit of will power to get back into it but im sure you will when you can .  Right now where was i going when i spotted this ?    oh yes..... going into the Aul Arse thread see what the banters been about lately and who has been in . See you in there soon Vic   :wave   ;D
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 02:32:38 am by flw »

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2011, 07:48:02 am »
What a lovely surprise, thank you very much Kev  :wave

hey vic... come on mate, get your writing finger out...lol

we need your story...  hope you are fit n well mate... ynwa
t.i.m...

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: February 5, 2012, 02:10:38 pm »
hey vic... come on mate, get your writing finger out...lol

we need your story...  hope you are fit n well mate... ynwa

I am feeling better every day mate, thank you for asking, hope all s ok with you in Oz

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #104 on: February 5, 2012, 06:39:19 pm »
Hi Vic! I hope you are feeling better, and get the muse back and start writing again, I love to read your stories!!!

Massive hugs!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 7, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »
Hi Vic! I hope you are feeling better, and get the muse back and start writing again, I love to read your stories!!!

Massive hugs!

thank you, i am getting the ganas to start writing again

Offline kneeys

• We know the TRUTH,now give them JUSTICE.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Around long enough to know better...
« Reply #106 on: February 7, 2012, 07:10:46 pm »
thank you, i am getting the ganas to start writing again
Good on you Vic welcome back.Looking forward to the next instalment of your story.   
The s*n so full of shit you could not even use it to wipe your arse

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: February 8, 2012, 01:35:34 am »
Thats good news Vic.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: August 8, 2012, 09:51:44 pm »
Your Birthday reminded me of your book, Have just re read the chapters, you really must get to finishing it LOL  thought i would give it a bump, hope you dont mind .

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #109 on: August 8, 2012, 10:06:39 pm »
Nice bump flw... Leo has got his book out now vic - we're all waiting for yours... :wave

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:14 am »
Had to bump this again, think I realise now why this thread really hit home for me, I can't really put these words down as eloquently as you have (its only my second language :D), and I'd just like to point out that I do not mean to come off as conceited or arrogant by any means, just incase. Anyway, I'm just a lad of 15 but playing football has been a huge part of my life. Though I have moved to America from Egypt I've still been playing a lot of football and the youth coaches and scouts I have had speak to me seem convinced that I am a talented player and could have a proper future ahead of me.
When I went to Egypt this summer the big football club there, Al Ahly, wanted me to stay in Egypt and play with their youth team. Though my entire family is in Egypt and they could have taken care of me, my parents felt that I needed the good education I could get here in America, and that I was too young to be without being under the care of my parents. No arguments from me there, I suppose. I had an offer from a Belgium club, but my parents rejected that offer like this one.

They told me though I'd be very welcome back after I finished my schooling, as long as I had bulked up (I'm a thin lad and need to put on some weight if I'm going to be able to shield off defenders!). When I came back from Egypt this summer I was tried out for a new team, a very very good team that can really go places this year.

Earlier, before I read this thread, I had begun going down the same road that you did to an extent, I wasn't get enough sleep before training, before matches, I wasn't eating enough, I'd miss training sessions for no apparent reasons but pure laziness. The coach had been getting frustrated with me, he had plans to make me a key part of the team along with the veteran striker of the side. I haven't been doing enough working out on my upper body like I had planned I would and I haven't put on any weight since the summer, even lost a pound or two.

When I read this thread and seeing that you were frustrated with your missed chance, and the disappointment someone like Shankly felt that a talent had "gone to waste", I was inspired not to let it happen to me. Since my reading of this (not long ago, but earlier than when I posted), I have been going to the gym, eating much healthier and more, I haven't been missing training sessions, and I've always gone in the right mindset. Could do better with the sleep, but hopefully I'll have fixed that soon as well. I wouldn't have done the above if I hadn't read this thread, and I could well have given up the team and football completely by now.

And I really thank you for sharing your experience with us, you really have kept me from going down a bad road.
-Snootchies

we going to see you on the telly anytime soon then? :)

and great stuff...
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline orangeazz

• Main Stander
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »
Hi Vic,

I hope you don't mind me commenting but I have finally become a member of RAWK rather than a lurker specifically to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your memoirs for want of a better word.  As a channel island OOT'er I love reading about the history of our great club, especially the recollections of those people who have seen it first hand and been a part of it.  Certain locations and place names might not mean as much to me as it would others due to the fact that I wasn't brought up in and around Liverpool or the club but that just makes the stories even more enticing and interesting.  When you publish the book I will certainly be ordering a copy.  Good luck with it, kind regards, Aaz.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »
Welcome, Azz :wave

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2012, 04:51:51 pm »
Hi Vic,

I hope you don't mind me commenting but I have finally become a member of RAWK rather than a lurker specifically to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your memoirs for want of a better word.  As a channel island OOT'er I love reading about the history of our great club, especially the recollections of those people who have seen it first hand and been a part of it.  Certain locations and place names might not mean as much to me as it would others due to the fact that I wasn't brought up in and around Liverpool or the club but that just makes the stories even more enticing and interesting.  When you publish the book I will certainly be ordering a copy.  Good luck with it, kind regards, Aaz.

Thank you Aaz, I don't check on my story very often, so it was a very nice surprise to see that "The Fifth Benitle" comment that lead me on to your post. I am working on it again, slowly because I don't want to get fed up with it and stop again, your kind words have given me a lift, so again I thank you.

Offline orangeazz

• Main Stander
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2012, 06:53:31 pm »
Thank you Aaz, I don't check on my story very often, so it was a very nice surprise to see that "The Fifth Benitle" comment that lead me on to your post. I am working on it again, slowly because I don't want to get fed up with it and stop again, your kind words have given me a lift, so again I thank you.

No problem, your welcome.  In the media obsessed world that we now find ourselves in it seems hard to imagine that there isnt an almost never ending supply of sound and video footage readily available on the internet of the great Bill Shankly such as we would find today of the modern footballer and manager so ive found your recollections of him and your life at Liverpool absolutely fascinating.  Not only is it an enjoyable read, its also easy to get hooked into.  I read a lot and some books have you switching off in half an hour or day dreaming about other things within half a page but not so yours.  Having never even attempted to write more than a few letters I wouldnt know where to start or how hard it must be so hats off to you.

Oh and thanks to 'The 5th'  :)

• ( )
  • Legacy Fan
  • who am I?
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 07:29:54 am »
bumpity bump.... come on vic, get yer finger out lad..... ynwa :wave :wave
t.i.m...

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2012, 11:54:06 pm »
Mr Gill, With great respect to you sir, but is this going to be a never ending story ?   ;D   When i occasionally come into this thread i look to see if you have  given us a bit more or some update on your progress. Its nice to see the many incouraging words said about your work so far by so many people , and hope that you will carry on to finishing a much awaited book. I know sometimes you can get  writers block through my own experience, but do hope you can get back  into it and finish it .before Senior moments set in   :lmao. Perhaps by next Christmas you will manage to finish it and my 2 sons will get an extra treat in there stockings !!!.     ;D  Anyway good luck with it . Patience  from us and Perseverence from you . ;)

Offline Niallmo

• Kemlynite
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:45 pm »
I think my mum is waiting to read the next bit you know.... ;)

I'll be at Anfield tomorrow , its been a while...made me check out RAWK and see if there were any updates....

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 2, 2012, 07:52:18 pm »
I think my mum is waiting to read the next bit you know.... ;)

I'll be at Anfield tomorrow , its been a while...made me check out RAWK and see if there were any updates....

Tell her this writing malarkey is not as easy as I thought it would be  ;D  that should do it mate. Hope you're all ok

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2013, 07:48:32 am »
This is my favourite thread on this forum.

Very interesting Vic, thanks for sharing this with us mate.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590