Author Topic: I could have been a contender - The Vic Gill Story  (Read 327687 times)

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
Re: I could have been a contender - The Vic Gill Story
« Reply #160 on: April 27, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
 Here Here .Theres your answer Vic.. so when your business is done ..get cracking.... you know it makes sense , and of course ill be waiting inline too , even if its on my Zimmer frame !!
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2015, 08:39:03 am »
Her name is Michaela.  I would definitely be up for reading your book Vic :wave

Michaela... :lmao

I've said so before and I'll say it again: I'll be waiting in line at the bookstore when the book comes out! ;)

Hello Boys  :-*

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »
Last few years seen football change so much, your story is one of a golden age of course we all want to read it Vic.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2015, 04:13:19 pm »
Last few years seen football change so much, your story is one of a golden age of course we all want to read it Vic.

Me too. This is what I want to see. Fagan's bio by his son was a great read and there is something from the era's of Shankly/Paisley that simplified the complicated and made it brilliant and beautiful
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #164 on: May 6, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »
I am shocked, really, what can I say to you all except thank you so much for those very kind words, I will get down to work I promise, I am planning to get Karen to ghost write it.

Thank you very much
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #165 on: May 6, 2015, 05:09:17 pm »
Yeah, no seriously, get cracking on that book Vic. Your insights into the game in general, let alone Liverpool FC, are invaluable. Don't let them be confined to an internet forum. Share them with the wider world so that more can benefit from them!

I'd seriously buy a few copies of it and hand them out to football people I know.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: May 6, 2015, 05:17:58 pm »
Would love to read it Vic. Brings everything back into perspective, when reading about that era.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 21, 2015, 11:56:29 am »

LFC History net done a great adaption of Vic's 'I could have been a contender', here's part one http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3864 and part twohttp://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/681 they're all a good read and some great photos

Offline the 92A

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2015, 11:59:04 am »
LFC History net have been doing an adaption of Vic's 'I could have been a contender' and it's really good Part Three is up now. With the pictures it really looks good. http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3863

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2016, 03:13:12 pm »
Quote from: the_red28 link=topic=115020.msg 5412875#msg5412875 date=1235136605
Was round at my dad's last night and he was talking about the school etc, he was saying he really enjoyed the three chaptors you had on here, brought back some memories of his younger days running around the area etc.

He still maintains that the best game he saw at anfield was the 3-1 inter game in 65, said he had to queue up for hours before the game that night, think he was in the kop as well.

I hope I replied to your pm mate, I am just going through all the pm's I have received, I was in the kop that night, fantastic game and just after playing Leeds in the FA cup final, we also played in the week before the FA cup semi final against Chelsea  I get really pissed off when people moan about how much football is played, personally I thought it was all those foreign fairies coming to play in our league, aah well nuff said take care mate

I would PM but think you need so many posts on here before you can send one, if you pm me your email addy ill drop you a wee mail bud.

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline put the wheelie bins out

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #170 on: July 3, 2016, 10:49:20 am »
Re the picture of the of the Deysbrook pub football team, that's my dad, Johnny Johnston ('capitano' as he liked to be known) in the front row with the ball at his feet.

Even at the ripe old age of 80 he can remember the names of all the players and staff:

Left to right back row: Jack Carter (Treasurer); Bobby Phoenix (Team Manager); Vicky Gill (your goodself); Vinny Rawlston; Tommy Parry; John Clay; Derek (Dixie) Dean; Jimmy (Sammy) Kenny; Harold Weston (Deysbrook pub Manager).

Left to right front row: Tommy O'Callaghan (TOC); Robbie Wright; Ciffy Thornley; Johnny Johnston (capitano); John Christopherson; Brian Porter.

Sadly my dad informs me TOC and Jimmy Kenny are no longer with us.

He said the team were runners up in the league and he can remember going to the legendary Grafton Club to pick up the medal from Ron Yeats and Jimmy (archangel) Gabriel.

He said you were like 'The Hulk' always ripping your shirt, and by the way, he is still supping pints in the Deysbook pub.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: August 2, 2016, 01:34:29 pm »
I will be coming over to merseyside soon (I hope) nothing ever works out as planned. But I will need your phone number to contact you when I get home so if you could pm me with it

really look forward to seeing you and any other lads, the time I spent with "The Deysie" was one of the happiest times of my life, I was sitting thinking well sort of,my mind took me back to football grounds in Huyton King George V and my wife barbara came to watch and the ref gave a bad decision against me and when I questioned him he sent me off, Barbara went crackers and called him everything under the sun. They were great days, bloody great days, does anybody remember the fight in the Army Camp, I was in contact with Bernie up until his death he held a wake in the pub, you don't realise it at the time but that friendship was one of the best I have ever encountered, Hope we can make it when I come over. Just remembered that we (Deysbrook started out in the 4th Division of the Sunday League but we won promotion every season and ended up in the Sunday premier League, also does anybody remember "The bull Ring" just off London Road, they had to change their name every season, they kept getting suspended, one of their new names was St Andrews, We were the only team that they enjoyed playing against because we punched back, we head butted back when the ref wasn't watching, we beat them more than they beat us. I remember one season, we beat them 6-2 and 2-0. Is the Team Photo still on the wall ?

Take care mate
« Last Edit: August 2, 2016, 03:24:21 pm by vicgill »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: August 2, 2016, 07:32:46 pm »
Re
I've increased your post count so you can pm now mate, it makes it easier to keep personal details private.

Let me know if you need any help.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: August 5, 2016, 11:01:08 pm »
I've increased your post count so you can pm now mate, it makes it easier to keep personal details private.

Let me know if you need any help.

Hi John, feel free to pm me, I would like to talk about it ok

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: August 7, 2016, 08:21:29 pm »
John I have got these out of the history board  http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3864, there are three chapters there, Arnie, a lad from Iceland is the editor of lfchistiory.net and he has put that together, I was very impressed with his work I would really like to meet up with you if that is possible take care mate

Vic

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: August 7, 2016, 08:25:04 pm »

John I have got these out of the history board  http://www.lfchistory.net/Articles/Article/3864, there are three chapters there, Arnie, a lad from Iceland is the editor of lfchistiory.net and he has put that together, I was very impressed with his work I would really like to meet up with you if that is possible take care mate

Vic
Vic, I think its this guy that you want to meet? I'm just helping you pm each other :)
Re the picture of the of the Deysbrook pub football team, that's my dad, Johnny Johnston ('capitano' as he liked to be known) in the front row with the ball at his feet.

Even at the ripe old age of 80 he can remember the names of all the players and staff:

Left to right back row: Jack Carter (Treasurer); Bobby Phoenix (Team Manager); Vicky Gill (your goodself); Vinny Rawlston; Tommy Parry; John Clay; Derek (Dixie) Dean; Jimmy (Sammy) Kenny; Harold Weston (Deysbrook pub Manager).

Left to right front row: Tommy O'Callaghan (TOC); Robbie Wright; Ciffy Thornley; Johnny Johnston (capitano); John Christopherson; Brian Porter.

Sadly my dad informs me TOC and Jimmy Kenny are no longer with us.

He said the team were runners up in the league and he can remember going to the legendary Grafton Club to pick up the medal from Ron Yeats and Jimmy (archangel) Gabriel.

He said you were like 'The Hulk' always ripping your shirt, and by the way, he is still supping pints in the Deysbook pub.

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 28, 2016, 10:11:20 pm »
At the moment it is still 28/09/2016, when tomorrow arrives it will be the day of Bill Shankly's funeral, the day many of us thought we had lost everything, my life was empty for a long time after, Karen,Pauline and Emma loved their granddad to bits, I had lost a very good friend, we used to go to matches together not always Liverpool but others from lower leagues but every night out was a night of pain through laughing, getting so close to him well he made me aware, he made me a football coach and may I say a good one, I loved him dearly as much as a man can love another man well that's it another year gone and another feeling of great loss, I will shed my tears and then smile, because I know that's what he would have wanted me to do. Goodnight and Godbless my dear friend
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 08:20:02 am by vicgill »

Offline Oscarmac

• Kenny is King
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2016, 10:18:44 pm »
Amen to that Vic.
They are only great because we are on our knees......let us arise!

Offline vicgill

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: December 13, 2016, 07:07:33 pm »
we will be meeting at the saddle club in prenton wirral on Friday 16th december at about 7pm
Vic, I think its this guy that you want to meet? I'm just helping you pm each other :)

John I am here now we are meeting at the Saddle club on friday 16th about 7pm, if you can make it would be good

take care mate