Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5718672 times)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #40880 on: January 4, 2017, 11:10:13 pm »
I hear that every year for about 10 now, its not arrogance, more a resignation.
Could this be the year you finish outside the top four but still qualify ;)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40881 on: January 4, 2017, 11:12:22 pm »
This I liked I must admit. Iconic footy moment - albeit a bit mad.

Yeah it was brilliant. There were a few years around the turn of the Millenium where the only thing standing in the way of Man Utd and the title were Arsenal so I developed a bit of a soft spot for them. This was a wonderful moment for all United haters.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40882 on: January 4, 2017, 11:14:48 pm »
Yeah it was brilliant. There were a few years around the turn of the Millenium where the only thing standing in the way of Man Utd and the title were Arsenal so I developed a bit of a soft spot for them. This was a wonderful moment for all United haters.

speak for yourself. i find it pathetic, small time, hypocritical and embarrassing. if it's iconic, it's not for a good reason.

obviously that's just my opinion though

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #40883 on: January 4, 2017, 11:23:50 pm »
New rules, no more qualifiers.
Weird, I missed that somehow.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #40884 on: January 4, 2017, 11:55:28 pm »
Sanchez left the pitch with a massive cob on, furious with Giroud I suspect - check the background of the celebration pic and the vid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/04/alexis-sanchez-rages-francis-coquelin-injured-arsenal-title/

Mind you the report also said he had the hump all game.

Worth a cheeky £40,000,002 bid to stir things up a bit?  ;D

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40885 on: January 5, 2017, 10:45:50 am »
Sanchez is a tad overrated on here.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #40886 on: January 5, 2017, 10:47:49 am »

In what sense? 13 goals and 7 assists already this season. Works his arse off for the team too. Would say he's actually a bit underrated.

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
« Reply #40887 on: January 5, 2017, 10:56:06 am »

If he was our main forward, we'd be top of the league, as good as Chelsea have been, and as good as our front line has been even!
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #40888 on: January 5, 2017, 10:56:47 am »

He is the difference for them.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40889 on: January 5, 2017, 11:40:21 am »

I'm a big fan of Giroud but I wouldn't expect to see that from one of our lads. Plus, I wouldn't attribute just him clawing the result back. Bournemouth couldn't adjust to losing Francis and Sanchez ran riot on the left for half an hour.

I would also says the subs and Wenger choosing them well played big part, was not implying Giroud was the only reason we got back into it.

We were not going to score in the remaining minutes. I have watched Wenger's Arsenal (I also watched those last few Bournemouth minutes unlike most here seem to have :P) for some time and what happened once it kicked off at 3-3 is the same I have seen for a long time. We lose our legs a bit, we lose the intensity of pressure and allow the other teams to play out a bit, our passes become wayward and careless. Unless Bournemouth were going to do a Frank Sinclair tribute, we aren't scoring.

Given we have done that pattern for years, Giroud's celebration was not the difference between us putting last ditch pressure or... well doing what we did. Not unless Giroud's celebrating caused a time vortex and actually we won in CL comebacks rather then constantly falling short and Giroud's celebrations changed all that. Reading in Carling Cup extra time is only time I have seen us win for some time with such a deficit comeback. In extra time.

Sanchez left the pitch with a massive cob on, furious with Giroud I suspect - check the background of the celebration pic and the vid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/01/04/alexis-sanchez-rages-francis-coquelin-injured-arsenal-title/

Mind you the report also said he had the hump all game.

Worth a cheeky £40,000,002 bid to stir things up a bit?  ;D

He had a massive row with Ramsey in first half and seemed grumpy throughout for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 11:46:28 am by MagicHat »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #40890 on: January 5, 2017, 11:50:33 am »
No one's saying that mate. The game was still in play. There was still just enough time for Arsenal to win 2 VERY valuable points. Every second counted at this stage. Giroud ate into that valuable time with his cringeable celebration when he should have done what was best for the team and restarted the game ASAP.

By all means celebrate "what actually happened", as long as you do so when it's not detrimental to the team (in this case after the game instead of wasting 20+ seconds of time in which you can score a winner).

The time should have been added on anyway surely?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40891 on: January 5, 2017, 11:54:07 am »
In what sense?
In the sense that I have him in my fantasy team and the number of times he makes me want to kick my fucking tv screen in suggests he's not as good as you all make out. He's no Suarez.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40892 on: January 5, 2017, 12:00:08 pm »
In the sense that I have him in my fantasy team and the number of times he makes me want to kick my fucking tv screen in suggests he's not as good as you all make out. He's no Suarez.

Nobody has ever said he's as good as Suarez, have they? He's on course to score about 25 goals and add 15 assists. I don't think that's been done for a long time. He's clearly one of the best players in the league.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40893 on: January 5, 2017, 12:04:04 pm »

I think the rule is that 30 seconds extra are added on for any goal scored in injury time, regardless if they kick off 20 seconds after the goal or 50.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #40894 on: January 5, 2017, 12:05:05 pm »
Doesn't seem to happen for goal celebrations within the stoppage tme for some reason. Ref even blew 5 seconds before time was up, in fact.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40895 on: January 5, 2017, 12:10:47 pm »
We were not going to score in the remaining minutes. I have watched Wenger's Arsenal (I also watched those last few Bournemouth minutes unlike most here seem to have :P) for some time and what happened once it kicked off at 3-3 is the same I have seen for a long time. We lose our legs a bit, we lose the intensity of pressure and allow the other teams to play out a bit, our passes become wayward and careless. Unless Bournemouth were going to do a Frank Sinclair tribute, we aren't scoring.

Given we have done that pattern for years, Giroud's celebration was not the difference between us putting last ditch pressure or... well doing what we did. Not unless Giroud's celebrating caused a time vortex and actually we won in CL comebacks rather then constantly falling short and Giroud's celebrations changed all that. Reading in Carling Cup extra time is only time I have seen us win for some time with such a deficit comeback. In extra time.

I find this fascinating. So you're basically saying that Arsenal aren't the type of team that tries to win a winnable game late on, so there's no harm in dicking around doing Morecambe and Wise impressions in the dying minutes instead of trying to get the points?

And you seem ok with this? Aren't you angry that the players/manager/club have this type of attitude? Do other Arsenal fans feel the same? Is this what 20 years of Wenger does to a fan base? Please enlighten me!
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 12:14:00 pm by Xabi Gerrard »

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40896 on: January 5, 2017, 12:13:54 pm »
Nobody has ever said he's as good as Suarez, have they? He's on course to score about 25 goals and add 15 assists. I don't think that's been done for a long time. He's clearly one of the best players in the league.
Not in doubt I just don't think he's as good as some are making out.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40897 on: January 5, 2017, 12:19:42 pm »
Doesn't seem to happen for goal celebrations within the stoppage tme for some reason. Ref even blew 5 seconds before time was up, in fact.

Injury time is a joke sometimes. Our game against Sunderland for example. On my stream, the commentator said around 89:15 that there would be 5 minutes injury time. They had a player down, who was down for the best part of 2 minutes. So clearly the ref had decided before the player went down. That should have been 5 minutes, plus the time the player was down, plus any incidents after play restarted. Almost 8 minutes, yet he blew at around 95:30.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40898 on: January 5, 2017, 12:34:02 pm »
I find this fascinating. So you're basically saying that Arsenal aren't the type of team that tries to win a winnable game late on, so there's no harm in dicking around doing Morecambe and Wise impressions in the dying minutes instead of trying to get the points?

And you seem ok with this? Aren't you angry that the players/manager/club have this type of attitude? Do other Arsenal fans feel the same? Is this what 20 years of Wenger does to a fan base? Please enlighten me!

That wasn't what I was saying at all.

I never said we didn't try to win or that we never do but when the time comes, we fail. The energy runs out, we lose everything that got us back into the position including the way we pass.

I also didn't say I was ok with that failing. We could have a discussion about why we struggle to make the finishing punch down the years, what could fix it but apparently all everyone wants to do is blame it on Giroud celebrating a goal, becuase the universe was so outraged, it changed history. That is what I'm arguing against, we should talk about the actual problems, not one image that allows for a bit of moral outrage.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 12:39:15 pm by MagicHat »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40899 on: January 5, 2017, 12:51:23 pm »
That wasn't what I was saying at all.

I never said we didn't try to win or that we never do but when the time comes, we fail. The energy runs out, we lose everything that got us back into the position including the way we pass.

Fair enough  :thumbup That's a huge problem for a team with aspirations to have. I wonder what's the root cause of it.

I also didn't say I was ok with that failing. We could have a discussion about why we struggle to make the finishing punch down the years, what could fix it but apparently all everyone wants to do is blame it on Giroud celebrating a goal, becuase the universe was so outraged, it changed history. That is what I'm arguing against, we should talk about the actual problems, not one image that allows for a bit of moral outrage.

Well it was a stupid thing to do in the circumstances, something you wouldn't see from the type of successful club that Arsenal should aspire to be like. It may have been a small thing, but marginal gains, etc. I guess the "outrage" is because it encapsulates one of Wenger's biggest failings - that lack of killer instinct that has seen worse teams (on paper) outperform them. Even back when you were good, there were times when worse Man Utd teams would pip you to the title (I'm thinking 1999 & 2003 in particular) precisely because they wanted to win so much more than Arsenal. That mentality, which the celebration epitomised, is an actual problem in my opinion.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #40900 on: January 5, 2017, 01:38:06 pm »
Weird, I missed that somehow.

It's from the 18/19 season on.
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398899.html

The top four clubs from the four top-ranked national associations will now qualify automatically for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League.

A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40901 on: January 5, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »
It's from the 18/19 season on.
http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2398899.html

The top four clubs from the four top-ranked national associations will now qualify automatically for the group stage of the UEFA Champions League.

A new system for the club coefficients: clubs will be judged on their own records (deletion of the country share for individual club coefficient unless that coefficient is lower than 20% of the association's coefficient).
Cheers. Good for us I suppose, if not for the smaller clubs/countries.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40902 on: January 5, 2017, 03:33:15 pm »
Cheers. Good for us I suppose, if not for the smaller clubs/countries.

Yes. There's also an element of seeding that is based on what you've won in Europe before, which is good for us, but bad for Arsenal.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40903 on: January 5, 2017, 03:37:33 pm »
Yes. There's also an element of seeding that is based on what you've won in Europe before, which is good for us, but bad for Arsenal.

How far back are they going with this? Does our 2005 win still count for the seedings?

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40904 on: January 5, 2017, 03:40:30 pm »
How far back are they going with this? Does our 2005 win still count for the seedings?

Probably.

As far as I understand it, you get more money if you are a 'legacy' team, a bit like Ferrari in F1.  So this enables major teams like RM and Barca to get more revenue out of the CL to compete with the EPL more easily.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40905 on: January 5, 2017, 03:43:05 pm »

Details have yet to emerge, I'm hoping they go back as far as, say, 1977, myself. But I think 2005 should count, as that's the competition in its current form. All it says at the moment is:

"Historical success in the competition will also be acknowledged in coefficient calculation (points for previous European titles with a weighted system for UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League titles)"

No mention of a time limit.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #40906 on: January 5, 2017, 03:48:43 pm »
The games rigged. Just watched a world cup fixed video on YouTube. It showed the Italy Korea game the draw being fixed etc. Here's my prediction neymar wasn't injured at last world cup Brazil will win in Qatar.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40907 on: January 5, 2017, 04:01:57 pm »
The games rigged. Just watched a world cup fixed video on YouTube. It showed the Italy Korea game the draw being fixed etc. Here's my prediction neymar wasn't injured at last world cup Brazil will win in Qatar.

omygoditsanidiot

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40908 on: January 5, 2017, 04:03:53 pm »

omygoditsanidiot

No, he's totally clued up. Gets all his info straight from YouTube and posts in exactly the relevant thread.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40909 on: January 5, 2017, 04:17:10 pm »
No, he's totally clued up. Gets all his info straight from YouTube and posts in exactly the relevant thread.

hahahahhaahhahahahahaha
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #40910 on: January 5, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »
It's not hard to watch a five minute video Italy Korea AND Korea Spain were rigged. The draws Ares rigged. But if you wanna call me an idiot fine. Look for yourself.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40911 on: January 5, 2017, 04:24:53 pm »
It's not hard to watch a five minute video Italy Korea AND Korea Spain were rigged. The draws Ares rigged. But if you wanna call me an idiot fine. Look for yourself.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #40912 on: January 5, 2017, 04:41:49 pm »
Better to watch the video first but nah you'd rather be a troll. (Not replying again)

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40913 on: January 5, 2017, 04:48:59 pm »
Better to watch the video first but nah you'd rather be a troll. (Not replying again)

:wave
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40914 on: January 5, 2017, 05:52:30 pm »

Think AFC has won a lot of late points this season, the rest of the team were giving it the "get back to the half way line", and Giroud was having a good shout.  Gabriel (what a lad) ran straight in to the away end and got mobbed by the fans for a good half minute though.  I don't see the need for outrage, it's pretty hilarious if you think about it.

I do think the mentality of the team in situations where they have to dig in and grind out a result rather than play fancy triangles can be a problem.  The pic of Keown shouting at RVN reminded me of the side a little before that with him alongside Adams, Winterburn and Dixon - who took turns scything through opposition players to batter them in to deciding not to attack for many games, with anecdotes that Adams would shout in the dressing room at half time and tell the whole team to get stuck in to the point he'd be screaming in their face.

At the moment apparently they sit in silence for 10 minutes and Wenger arrives for the last 5, and tells them to a) get on with it, b) play a better, or c) that nobody better get injured as he only makes subs on 70+ mins.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40915 on: January 5, 2017, 07:02:17 pm »
Ty from Arsenal Fan TV arguing with 14 year old kids in the street :lmao :lmao

https://twitter.com/DanieIAFC/status/817054173959168000

Then Claude shows up and tells him to grow up

https://twitter.com/DanieIAFC/status/817077587675611136

Fucking hilarious, the best part is, Ty reveals he's 46 years old. And he dresses like that...
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40916 on: January 5, 2017, 08:02:44 pm »
YouTube is about as factually correct as the Daily Mail.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Omygoditsomar

• Main Stander
« Reply #40917 on: January 5, 2017, 08:12:47 pm »
The Italy Korea game was live on TV don't you remember. So was the draw please watch first and draw your own conclusions.

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40918 on: January 5, 2017, 08:14:36 pm »
Ty from Arsenal Fan TV arguing with 14 year old kids in the street :lmao :lmao

https://twitter.com/DanieIAFC/status/817054173959168000

Then Claude shows up and tells him to grow up

https://twitter.com/DanieIAFC/status/817077587675611136

Fucking hilarious, the best part is, Ty reveals he's 46 years old. And he dresses like that...

Arsenal fan tv is basically a cartoon show at this point.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #40919 on: January 5, 2017, 09:33:39 pm »
The Italy Korea game was live on TV don't you remember. So was the draw please watch first and draw your own conclusions.
Korea beat Italy fair and square.  Talk about a bad loser.  I bet you're still bitter over 1966 too.