Author Topic: Welcome Georginio Wijnaldum  (Read 84548 times)

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Welcome Georginio Wijnaldum
« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2016, 01:35:03 pm »
Very good player, shrewd signing. He's going to have to step up a couple of levels if he wants to challenge Coutinho or Firmino for a central attacking role in the midfield, but for me this signing is about end product.

We had 5 players get into double digits for goals last season, one of which probably won't be here next season. We love banging on about Coutinho and Firmino scoring double digits as midfielders, but the truth is, they played primarily in a front 3. Forwards if you will, rather than midfield.

Goals from actual midfield were few and far between other than Milner's decent haul of 7. Wijnaldum is accustomed to scoring 15-20 goals from the midfield, albeit in France - however with Klopp and the quality of players around him at LFC, I can see him getting back to those heights.
PSV not PSG

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2016, 01:40:01 pm »
Gini Wijnaldum vs England

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oBXDSubvJO8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oBXDSubvJO8</a>

The one thing that stands out for me is his determination to win the ball and then linking of play, moving the ball at pace and always looking to get it up to the men in front of him asap, great to see.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2016, 03:27:47 pm »
Not that fussed but the potential is there. Interesting we are going back to what Peak Rodgers was good at, littering the squad with great 1v1 players.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 03:34:35 pm by OOS »
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2016, 04:05:28 pm »

;D :lickin     Good luck to teams trying to press us.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2016, 04:16:15 pm »

I'll be happy if that is his major contribution to the team, especially in a 4-2-3-1. Klopp made a few critical comments about how few players we had in the box to finish moves last season. If Wijnaldum can consistently break the midfield press from deep, we'll regularly have 4 in the box to finish moves, ala Dortmund. :scarf

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #205 on: July 23, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »

What sorcery is this? A midfielder who can turn and run with the ball? They make those? Wow.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #206 on: July 23, 2016, 04:25:34 pm »
I'll be happy if that is his major contribution to the team, especially in a 4-2-3-1.
Seriously, I don`t care if he scores goals and assists at all as long as he brings this to the table - it would be absolutely priceless for our overall game. It would create so much space in the final third if we can take people who press us out of the game - our attackers would have a field day.

This is like having Coutinho in your CM, a player with all the skills in the world but who also has power and physicality to cope there. You want to squeeze us in our own half? Ok, we`ll just dribble past you and hit you on the break.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: July 23, 2016, 04:26:42 pm »
Love how positive Klopp was about him, and the comment about him being able to play in so many different positions. Seems like he may have actually been the one who precipitated the move. Could well surprise, especially with the competition for places - there's no room for him to not work his arse off every game and be as consistent as he can under Klopp here.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #208 on: July 23, 2016, 04:46:02 pm »
Welcome Gino lad!
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #209 on: July 23, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »
Not that fussed but the potential is there. Interesting we are going back to what Peak Rodgers was good at, littering the squad with great 1v1 players.
Yip- Klopp and Rodgers share that love for a good 1v1 and technically skilled player(yes- I know even a hoof-it, bastard of a CB is "technically" skilled at what he does, but I'm not talking about that)..

BUT what's interesting is that Klopp shares some of what Rafa appreciates also- the tactical and mental aspect of the game and the players as well as the love for pressing(they just have different pressing philosophies), giving 110% in terms of physical exertion during a game, and trying to control the game(Klopp through counterpressing and Rafa by focussing mostly on his midfielders destroying as well as pulling the strings) and a little bit of a physical edge in a player.

And to top it off- all three appreciates zonal-marking and working via a zonal system as part of their *hiloso**y.

For me- Klopp is the perfect replacement for Rafa- the sort of manager we should've gotten immediately after Rafa- to add some good football to the physical edge, momentum and rep we had; but yeah... you can't always win.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 05:03:32 pm by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 23, 2016, 05:08:04 pm »
Seriously, I don`t care if he scores goals and assists at all as long as he brings this to the table - it would be absolutely priceless for our overall game. It would create so much space in the final third if we can take people who press us out of the game - our attackers would have a field day.

This is like having Coutinho in your CM, a player with all the skills in the world but who also has power and physicality to cope there. You want to squeeze us in our own half? Ok, we`ll just dribble past you and hit you on the break.
That is exactly what is going to make the difference. That ability to beat the press is going to be important. He also has a great shot from distance. Something, I believe apart from Coutinho,  we are lacking.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #211 on: July 23, 2016, 05:18:19 pm »
That is exactly what is going to make the difference. That ability to beat the press is going to be important. He also has a great shot from distance. Something, I believe apart from Coutinho,  we are lacking.
Firmino and Sturridge have good long distance shooting, and Moreno as well.
Seen us win everything

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #212 on: July 23, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »

Firmino can shoot from distance with power and precision, either foot as well. He just doesn't try it very often.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 23, 2016, 05:24:30 pm »

That didnt look his strength for Newcastle.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: July 23, 2016, 05:25:01 pm »
Firmino can shoot from distance with power and precision, either foot as well. He just doesn't try it very often.
Yeah Firmino is good,  but he rarely tries it,  mostly because he just doesn't arrive there in the same way Coutinho or someone from deeper would arrive on the edge of the box as the opposing midfield drops to track the strikers.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: July 23, 2016, 05:28:11 pm »
Forget the season for Newcastle mate,  he is way better than what he showed there. He is a very good pass and move football player and has powerful shooting ability,  even from deep.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 23, 2016, 05:30:42 pm »
Forget the season for Newcastle mate,  he is way better than what he showed there. He is a very good pass and move football player and has powerful shooting ability,  even from deep.

Hopefully thats the case. His scoring and shooting ability was good and his ability to break into the box was impressive. In terms of his passing though i thought he kept it incredibly simple. Not a bad trait but i felt we needed a bit more composure and decisive passer in our midfield. Someone like a Gundogan style of player.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 23, 2016, 05:39:21 pm »
Hopefully thats the case. His scoring and shooting ability was good and his ability to break into the box was impressive. In terms of his passing though i thought he kept it incredibly simple. Not a bad trait but i felt we needed a bit more composure and decisive passer in our midfield. Someone like a Gundogan style of player.
Yes absolutely agree. Don't expect a Alonso or Gundogan. You would be disappointed. His strengths are accurate passing, and mainly off the ball running. He is a good dribbler too. He is very useful,  in a team which plays fast one touch football. That is why Depay and him have had culture shocks at teams which don't move as a unit.
But,  with Klopp's passing system where everyone passes and moves,  he can be very good.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 23, 2016, 05:40:58 pm »
Yes absolutely agree. Don't expect a Alonso or Gundogan. You would be disappointed. His strengths are accurate passing, and mainly off the ball running. He is a good dribbler too. He is very useful,  in a team which plays fast one touch football. That is why Depay and him have had culture shocks at teams which don't move as a unit.
But,  with Klopp's passing system where everyone passes and moves,  he can be very good.

He sounds more like an attacker then a central midfielder. Probably why he and Rafa thinks that as well.

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2016, 05:47:23 pm »
He sounds more like an attacker then a central midfielder. Probably why he and Rafa thinks that as well.
He can sit in a 2 in midfield, but that wouldn't use his strengths to the maximum.
I suspect Klopp will use him in a 4 3 3, as one of the three. He can play as an attacker,  but his runs from deep are good at breaking lines, also he has great stamina, hence he is good as a midfielder than a wide forward.
I have faith that Klopp is going to show the league a Wijnaldum that no one expects.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2016, 05:52:40 pm »
He can sit in a 2 in midfield, but that wouldn't use his strengths to the maximum.
I suspect Klopp will use him in a 4 3 3, as one of the three. He can play as an attacker,  but his runs from deep are good at breaking lines, also he has great stamina, hence he is good as a midfielder than a wide forward.
I have faith that Klopp is going to show the league a Wijnaldum that no one expects.

I don't think he'll be doing much sitting if he plays in a midfield two, Klopp used Milner there at times and he was all over the pitch (hopefully by instruction).

Offline Carra-ton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2016, 05:57:37 pm »
I don't think he'll be doing much sitting if he plays in a midfield two, Klopp used Milner there at times and he was all over the pitch (hopefully by instruction).
One more thing why I believe Klopp is more relaxed than the fans wanting a controller in midfield is because of Mama and Matip,  their passing ability to break the lines is something amazing. This is one thing Guardiola likes as well, he will have his controller deepest. Alonso played CB for Bayern in many a games.
If Matip and Sakho can give us recycling with quality passing, that can do the same job a controller would do.
Then the rest can just bomb on while the CBs take care of maintaining possession.
Wild theory,  but something I believe we will see.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2016, 06:06:28 pm »

You mentioned Xabi or Gundogan. Fact of the matter is, our system won't need a Xabi and we already have Can in the Gundogan role. Gini can be very, very effective with players who make themselves available for a pass. He dribbles well, runs with the ball and has exceptional close control, even while in his own penalty box. So if we play him in a 3, pair him up with Can and Allen/Dahoud and we are freaking golden. We'll run opposition midfields to the ground, after pressing the shit out of them.

Problem is, he's not very tactically astute when it comes to holding his position. Imagine a dutch Gerrard playing in a 2 without a Xabi and free to roam the midfield, bullying rival players, kicking arse and taking names. It will inevitably leave gaps in the midfield. So if we play him in a 2, boy we'll have some gung ho games.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2016, 06:19:41 pm »
You mentioned Xabi or Gundogan. Fact of the matter is, our system won't need a Xabi and we already have Can in the Gundogan role. Gini can be very, very effective with players who make themselves available for a pass. He dribbles well, runs with the ball and has exceptional close control, even while in his own penalty box. So if we play him in a 3, pair him up with Can and Allen/Dahoud and we are freaking golden. We'll run opposition midfields to the ground, after pressing the shit out of them.

Problem is, he's not very tactically astute when it comes to holding his position. Imagine a dutch Gerrard playing in a 2 without a Xabi and free to roam the midfield, bullying rival players, kicking arse and taking names. It will inevitably leave gaps in the midfield. So if we play him in a 2, boy we'll have some gung ho games.

Not sure Can will be in the Gundogan role. Gundogan is incredible and his passing was immense. Can was more box to box.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2016, 06:35:43 pm »
Listening to him in a few video's he's a real smart kid. He doesn't even look his age but he speaks with alot of common sense.

Still intrigued to see where he will play but looks a sound addition.

Offline NaivetyinBlack

• Suffers from performative anxiety.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 23, 2016, 06:38:35 pm »
Not sure Can will be in the Gundogan role. Gundogan is incredible and his passing was immense. Can was more box to box.

My point was, Can is Gundogan lite when the midfield roles come into picture. His best position is as a power mid, B2B Gundogan style player. Gini wouldn't work in a 2 with him. In a 3, they both can wreck havoc.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: July 23, 2016, 06:39:00 pm »
Listening to him in a few video's he's a real smart kid. He doesn't even look his age but he speaks with alot of common sense.

Still intrigued to see where he will play but looks a sound addition.

He was the captain of a Erdevisie winning side. He has pedigree.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 23, 2016, 07:14:22 pm »
Looking at the Klopp quotes and Pearce article it seems we clearly see him as CM in 4-2-3-1 alongside Can and Left Midfield in 4-3-3

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #228 on: July 23, 2016, 07:17:04 pm »
Looking at the Klopp quotes and Pearce article it seems we clearly see him as CM in 4-2-3-1 alongside Can and Left Midfield in 4-3-3
Broadly speaking I think he`ll be in 2 vs teams below us and in 3 against top teams when we can use diamond as it`s good for open games.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 23, 2016, 07:17:13 pm »
Interestingly there was an article in Squawka last season comparing his style of play for PSV to Gundagon before his summer move to Newcastle

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2016, 07:26:36 pm »
Broadly speaking I think he`ll be in 2 vs teams below us and in 3 against top teams when we can use diamond as it`s good for open games.

That's exactly what I gathered from Klopp's reasoning and Pearce's reporting too. I think we have the players to make a Wijnaldum in a  midfield two work much better than last season's Newcastle. But that goes without saying obviously.

4-2-3-1 in games we're expecting to dominate, 4-3-3 on games where we need to shore up and be more resilient.

Talking of new signings, Mane will also be another great escape valve on both systems.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #231 on: July 23, 2016, 07:32:12 pm »
Talking of new signings, Mane will also be another great escape valve on both systems.
In games that we`ll dominate I also see Milner being used as full back - arriving from deep positions, getting to the byline and putting in crosses. In these kind of games it`s gonna be a bit wild I reckon with the numbers we`ll push forward. I see a bit of resemblance there in that sense between Klopp and Ferguson.

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2016, 07:39:45 pm »
Welcome Gino lad!
I am sure that nickname will stick.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:12 pm »
I thought this guy was the second coming of Ruud Gullit when he played for PSV and for the first half of last season at Newcastle. The way he finished the season put a bit of doubt in my mind about him though. about his mentality mainly. but then he was playing in a struggling team with one of the worst managers in football. I dont know how Wijnaldum could do much better playing under that fraud. So hopefully Klopp can get the very best out of Wijnaldum. He could be a real hit here so im looking forward to him in a liverpool shirt.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 23, 2016, 07:42:51 pm »

Klopp has gave a recent interview with James Pearce and the majority of it was talking about general strength and options. He basically feels like last year we had none, aside from our strongest 11 we had no options to change. Okay we had Benteke and Origi but behind that he's right. We actually have goal threats that can be replaced with other goal threats.

So I'm not sure whether it's about accommodating all these players in this or that formation, I think it's about having better options off the bench, better options for different opposition and one player could start one week and another the other week but it doesn't weaken us.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 07:45:03 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #235 on: July 23, 2016, 07:56:54 pm »
People talking about teams pressing us. I think 99.999999999999 teams we face will park the bus. Our problem isn't going to be 'beating the press' it's going to be breaking teams down that park the bus. Something we have been woeful at for 2 seasons now.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #236 on: July 23, 2016, 08:01:31 pm »
Newcastle under McLaren was awefully slow- painfully so, as it is with many teams who are influenced by the Dutch philosophy.
Also- he wasn't used as a CM there and so he wasn't as exposed to a high intesity press.

If you think back to that game against Newcastle.. who was the standout player for them- against a team who had already learned to press under Rodgers and had begun counterpressing with decent results under Klopp? Newcastle walked away 2-0 winners. 2-0
Part of the reason for that was we couldn't press Wijnaldum effectively.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:03:46 pm by the_red_pill »

Offline Il Conte

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2016, 08:03:43 pm »
People talking about teams pressing us. I think 99.999999999999 teams we face will park the bus. Our problem isn't going to be 'beating the press' it's going to be breaking teams down that park the bus. Something we have been woeful at for 2 seasons now.

Yep. I do hope that Gini and Mané provide some much needed directness to speed up our attacking play, but will we play with enough width to really stretch teams (create holes in the bus)?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #238 on: July 23, 2016, 08:10:42 pm »
Something we have been woeful at for 2 seasons now.
Which is why signing Gini makes perfect sense. He`ll be incredibly useful in both aspects - against pressing and parked buses.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #239 on: July 23, 2016, 08:19:30 pm »
Yep. I do hope that Gini and Mané provide some much needed directness to speed up our attacking play, but will we play with enough width to really stretch teams (create holes in the bus)?

We've done significant things this summer with regards to breaking down teams;

1) We've bought a keeper that wants to be a 'sweeper'.
This will push the entire back line further up the pitch and this will compress the play and help us to keep teams penned into their final third for longer. If you ramp up the pressure continually the opposition will crack.

2) We've brought players that break the lines.
The players we have purchased excel at making penetrative runs from deep. Very hard to pick up, even if you are well drilled and organised.

3) We've added serious pace.
Compact, organised defenders hate running towards their own goal and if our players are standing them up 1 v 1 and then making a b-line for the penalty area or by-line they will become stretched and start to panic and panic leads to mistakes.