Author Topic: Ragnar Klavan  (Read 129996 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: King Ragnar Signs
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2016, 05:44:44 pm »
He's never scored an own-goal in his professional career. So not really a like-for-like with Skrtel then...

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2016, 05:45:12 pm »
Positive quotes from Klopp. Hopefully an upgrade on Skrtel.

Offline Moos

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: July 20, 2016, 05:52:35 pm »
The new Kyrgiakos  8)

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #83 on: July 20, 2016, 05:55:50 pm »
Could this guy turn out to be a Sami Hyypia type player ? in the sense that there will  probably be  low expectations from the fans allied with the fact he is clearly one of those players that develops as he gets older (Hyypia, Aldo, Vardy even) throw in the fact he was rejected as a youth etc etc makes it all the more that his trajectory is that he is a fine wine and gets better with age.

So here is to Ragnar I toast you with a vino tinto.

Welcome to heaven lad.

P.S watch out for the moaning fuckers on RAWK after a defeat
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: July 20, 2016, 05:58:56 pm »
Welcome!  May he become an important part of our squad.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #85 on: July 20, 2016, 06:01:24 pm »
Welcome lad!  You're going to be boss.

Offline Irakla

• Anny Roader
  • Joe "The real deal" Gomez
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2016, 06:46:12 pm »
Klavan vs Liverpool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbnz4IHb6-0

He looks boss to be honest, I thought he'd be a real hardman with bad touch, low IQ muscle /hassle merchant and stuff, but at first glance he can play real football and makes very intelligent passes, very shrewd business by Klopp.
Apparently Paolo Maldini has a Joe Gomez poster hung on his bedroom wall

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2016, 06:47:45 pm »
Welcome Ragnar! Boss name by the way.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 06:48:51 pm »
Klavan vs Liverpool

He looks boss to be honest, I thought he'd be a real hardman with bad touch, low IQ muscle /hassle merchant and stuff, but at first glance he can play real football and makes very intelligent passes, very shrewd business by Klopp.

Interesting,thanks for the link mate!

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2016, 06:49:30 pm »
He's never scored an own-goal in his professional career. So not really a like-for-like with Skrtel then...

He hasn't played in front of hesitant Simon before, has he?

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2016, 07:00:11 pm »
Good luck and welcome to LFC in Jurgen we trust.
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #91 on: July 20, 2016, 07:17:25 pm »
I have not seen much of him, but when he played against us, he seemed to be in the Hyypia-mold: doing nothing spectacular, keeping it simple and that he had this calm aura about him.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #92 on: July 20, 2016, 07:32:35 pm »
Welcome to Liverpool FC Ragnar Klavan. All the best of luck in your time here.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2016, 07:42:29 pm »
My first impression of him and reading up on him is that he is a no nonsense uncompromising defender. May just be the sort of person we need in defence in the league

Offline Yevgeny

• Kopite
  • Believer.
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 08:11:24 pm »
Apparently he can play left back too. I like him already.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2016, 08:42:59 pm »
Welcome, Lord Ragnar.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy

• short fingered vulgarian
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent.
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2016, 09:29:01 pm »
 I hear Ragnar rocks, so that's 4th choice centre back Thorted.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2016, 09:52:44 pm »
Liked his interview. His English is excellent. I think Klopp has signed him knowing that we have been a bit of a soft touch at the back, so Klavan adds a bit more bite. Ragnar the Red.

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2016, 02:00:30 am »
Built like a tank, welcome to Anfield
🔥97🔥

Offline dosx

• Kopite
  • This is Anfield
    • LFC
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2016, 02:14:13 am »
Liked his interview. His English is excellent. I think Klopp has signed him knowing that we have been a bit of a soft touch at the back, so Klavan adds a bit more bite. Ragnar the Red.

Good command of English.
🔥97🔥

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: July 21, 2016, 02:41:31 am »
Good command of English.
Fragment, consider revising.

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, Ądale!
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2016, 06:16:31 am »
Klavan vs Liverpool

Quite good on the ball, didn't realize how many times he shimmied away from Sturridge like that. Reminds me of Agger on the ball and Hyypia defensively.

If Lovren falls out of form and/or Sakho gets hurt, I think I feel pretty good about Ragnar slotting into that LCB role.

Offline EestiRed

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2016, 07:40:28 am »
Made my account a few weeks ago. Been browsing the forums for 5 years atleast but thought i should probably make an account aswell, didnīt see the spoilered parts in other parts of the forums without an account. Been following Liverpool  since 2000-2001, my first football shirt was McManamanīs so maybe i was a fan even before.

So itīs only natural my first post is in the Ragnar Klavan thread(Eesti=Estonia). He is certainly a leader on the pitch, not one to hide away. Some have pointed out that he is a no nonsense defender, built like a tank. His physicality is decent but having watched most of his games for the national team and quite many Augsburg ones during the years i would say he is more of a" ball-playing elegant" defender sort of type. He prefers to pass rather than hoof it, even when getting pressed. He has quite good passing skills(long diagonals), reads the game well. Sakho probably has better passing abilities and is stronger aswell, but i see Ragnar as the more intelligent type when it comes to interceptions and reading the game. Likes to win tackles high up the pitch and press his opponent. There is a chance that more physical forwards could bully him. But then again during the last years many forwards have done the same with Skrtel and also other defenders in Liveproolīs defence. Probably with the addition of Matip and the commanding presence of Sakho that wonīt happen again too many times with Kloppīs defence. Canīt remember during the Bundesliga time a single time someone got the better of him so bad that you could count it as bullying. He just takes them down beforehand 8)

It remains to be seen how he can get accustomed to the Premier League and how much more can he develop. I still think Bundesliga and Premier league are quite different so itīs very interesting to see how he can manage when he gets some gametime. If he gets around 15 games in different competitions during the first year and performs solidly then i would call it a certain success considering the money paid. Ofcourse whole of Estonia hopes that he will play many more games and follow in the footsteps of the legendary Finn Hyypia but that is a big ask. Then again Ragnar definitely seems to have the mentality and willpower so best of wishes to him and expect quite a few more Estonians around Liverpool this year  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:11:35 am by EestiRed »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2016, 07:42:44 am »
Thanks for that Eesti.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2016, 08:00:59 am »
Hi EestiRed! Nice post and greetings from your northern neighbour  :wave . Same circumstances for me except i'm propably a bit older than you,been a fan since the early 80's.

It's great to hear your insight on Ragnar and it's news to me he's considered a ball playing CB,he should fit right in  :).

Offline EestiRed

• Boys Pen
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2016, 08:38:10 am »
Thank you. Before streaming became available following games was quite limited here in Estonia. I read from Litmanenīs book that premier league games were being broadcast in Finland already during the 80īs if im not mistaken so that was huge for you guys. During the Mart Poom years some games were being broadcast and that is the first time i remember taking an interest to Liverpool. I should probably confess that the McManaman shirt was secondhand and a random pick by my mother but i definitely chose the next Owen one myself.

It might be different in the Premier league about the ball playing CB part considering the speed of the game. Itīs only natural that in the Estonian national team our CB seems the best with the ball at his feet considering the level of our other players.  Well itīs not that bad but overall he has been head and shoulders above every other player in terms of overall play and contribution to the national team. Also the game is just a tad slower in Germany. It remains to be seen whether he can continue to appear coolheaded with the ball right away or it takes a bit of adjusting.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2016, 09:56:37 am »
Thank you. Before streaming became available following games was quite limited here in Estonia. I read from Litmanenīs book that premier league games were being broadcast in Finland already during the 80īs if im not mistaken so that was huge for you guys. During the Mart Poom years some games were being broadcast and that is the first time i remember taking an interest to Liverpool. I should probably confess that the McManaman shirt was secondhand and a random pick by my mother but i definitely chose the next Owen one myself.

It might be different in the Premier league about the ball playing CB part considering the speed of the game. Itīs only natural that in the Estonian national team our CB seems the best with the ball at his feet considering the level of our other players.  Well itīs not that bad but overall he has been head and shoulders above every other player in terms of overall play and contribution to the national team. Also the game is just a tad slower in Germany. It remains to be seen whether he can continue to appear coolheaded with the ball right away or it takes a bit of adjusting.

Yeah,we certainly were fortunate in the 80's compared to you guys re. televised matches mate. Ha,i adored MacManaman myself and was crushed when he fucked off to Madrid,it was a sad day for me.

I think barring an injury crisis we'll bed Ragnar in slowly so he has time to adjust to the pace of PL,Klopp should know his strengths and weaknesses well from the bundesliga so no worries there at least for me.

Offline itsalltosh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2016, 02:57:43 pm »
Welcome, Lord Ragnar,

Offline Advil

• The Pain in Houllier's Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kopite Family
« Reply #108 on: July 21, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »
Is it possible that he plays as a left back here? Being mentioned that he play as left back previously. Will be good to have a good solid defence. We have missed that since the Rafa days.
None but a noble man treats women in an honorable manner, and none but an ignorant man treats women disgracefully.
-Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

« Reply #109 on: July 21, 2016, 03:44:14 pm »
From the game against us, he plays more like an Agger than a Škrtel.
Handled Sturridge and Firmino well, so can't complain about that :P

Also - Is that Kolo Touré recruiting him to be his successor at the end of the game? >.<
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:44:16 pm by EskilJehn »
Bastion of invincibility

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:34 pm »
From the gain against us, he plays more like an Agger than a Škrtel.
Handled Sturridge and Firmino well, so can't complain about that :P

Also - Is that Kolo Touré recruiting him to be his successor at the end of the game? >.<
No mate, he is trying to sell him a car

Offline Didi_ram

• Legacy Fan
  • Only 9900 kms away
« Reply #111 on: July 21, 2016, 09:51:16 pm »
Built like a tank, with superb English like Karius. Fan already !

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2016, 11:02:37 pm »
Yeah i can see that, Lovren will also kill for the club this season. Needs to be named captain.
Seen us win everything

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2016, 11:14:20 pm »
Made my account a few weeks ago. Been browsing the forums for 5 years atleast but thought i should probably make an account aswell, didnīt see the spoilered parts in other parts of the forums without an account. Been following Liverpool  since 2000-2001, my first football shirt was McManamanīs so maybe i was a fan even before.

So itīs only natural my first post is in the Ragnar Klavan thread(Eesti=Estonia). He is certainly a leader on the pitch, not one to hide away. Some have pointed out that he is a no nonsense defender, built like a tank. His physicality is decent but having watched most of his games for the national team and quite many Augsburg ones during the years i would say he is more of a" ball-playing elegant" defender sort of type. He prefers to pass rather than hoof it, even when getting pressed. He has quite good passing skills(long diagonals), reads the game well. Sakho probably has better passing abilities and is stronger aswell, but i see Ragnar as the more intelligent type when it comes to interceptions and reading the game. Likes to win tackles high up the pitch and press his opponent. There is a chance that more physical forwards could bully him. But then again during the last years many forwards have done the same with Skrtel and also other defenders in Liveproolīs defence. Probably with the addition of Matip and the commanding presence of Sakho that wonīt happen again too many times with Kloppīs defence. Canīt remember during the Bundesliga time a single time someone got the better of him so bad that you could count it as bullying. He just takes them down beforehand 8)

It remains to be seen how he can get accustomed to the Premier League and how much more can he develop. I still think Bundesliga and Premier league are quite different so itīs very interesting to see how he can manage when he gets some gametime. If he gets around 15 games in different competitions during the first year and performs solidly then i would call it a certain success considering the money paid. Ofcourse whole of Estonia hopes that he will play many more games and follow in the footsteps of the legendary Finn Hyypia but that is a big ask. Then again Ragnar definitely seems to have the mentality and willpower so best of wishes to him and expect quite a few more Estonians around Liverpool this year  ;)

Thanks for that mate.

Going by the video posted above he looks like an impressive defender.

Definitely adds something different to what we currently have. Important to maintain competition at the back as well.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2016, 11:37:42 pm »
“He will bring us really good qualities with his defensive intelligence and ability on the ball and he is a left-footed player so will give us extra balance."

Hmm... everyone likens him to Skrtel, but the boss comes out with this little nugget.

Klavan vs Liverpool

Yeah- don't know where the Skrtel comparisons come from really. He's never even eaten a baby in his life yet, FFS. There are only 2 men who can do that: The baby-eating bishop of Bath and Wells and Martin Skrtel.
He appears more Hyypia-like.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 11:44:51 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline crabfootlong

• Kemlynite
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2016, 01:01:28 am »
I am excited. For most people (atleast outside our fanbase), this looks like a case of (a) adding squad depth or (b) a bad buy because of the age. But I look at what he has done last year in a league that is not very different from ours and I'm excited. I think his contributions could be massive in the next 2 seasons. And I am not talking about being substitute or a stand-in player during injury to others. I genuinely think he would make a name of his own here.

Offline WanderingRed

• Kopite
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2016, 10:52:39 am »

Not seen this posted anywhere but he put this on instagram
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:54:26 am by WanderingRed »

Offline Eliit

• Kopite
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2016, 05:26:46 pm »
I'm absolutely sure it isn't his quote and that it isn't his account. It's just so unlike him.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2016, 01:25:55 am »
Ragnar! Klaven!
He's our man and he's fucking amazing
Anfields been ravin
About Ragnar the Red.

Ragnar! Klaven!
His eyes are blazin
and he's gonna kick you
right in the head

Ragnar the Red, Ragnar the Red, he's gonna kick you right the head, Ragnar the Red, Ragnar the Red, he's gonna kick you right in the head.

Instant classic  ;D   

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline lorenzo

• Kopite
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2016, 03:00:39 am »
Welcome Viking if your half as good as your hit t.v series we got are self a bargain.