Author Topic: An early look at the 2016/17 Liverpool team  (Read 64337 times)

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
Re: An early look at the 2016/17 Liverpool team
« Reply #200 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:03 pm »
Have a sneaky feeling Milner will be playing a lot as fullback next season.

Offline Oberyn_Martell

• Desperate for it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: July 18, 2016, 06:56:42 pm »
Have a sneaky feeling Milner will be playing a lot as fullback next season.

Over clyne? 😮
Mods can you change my name to Melissa x

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: July 18, 2016, 07:02:37 pm »
Matip injured? Seen leaving the Spire hospital. Just as I was crazy excited to see him play.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 18, 2016, 07:04:05 pm »
I think Alonso would be a bit lost in a Klopp side, to be honest. He seems to want us to win the ball all over the pitch, rather than have a "man with a mop" approach as under Rafa. He also wants quicker transitions, and while Alonso's distribution was wonderful, I don't think he ever really put in the workrate that Klopp seems to like so much.

In Can, we have a very different sort of player, he's never going to spray those thirty yard passes over the pitch, but he will carry the ball forwards more often, and is more pro-active in getting it back. Alonso could read the game wonderfully, but he didn't tackle. For me, the whole Heavy Metal Football thing suggests we'll be a bit more gung-ho, with men flying forwards, winning balls all over the pitch and applying instant pressure, rather than the build up and sucker-punch of a long Alonso pass flicked on by Gerrard for Torres to race onto.

My memory is fuzzy with old age so excuse me if I am wrong but thought Alonso was surprisingly very good for getting in vital tackles. Plus I would hardly call the football we saw with Alonso, SG, Masch N Co a form of a sucker punch as when you dictate a tempo of most games it was us getting sucker punched the odd time by opposition than the other way around. Our midfield has been lacking a certain air of authority the past couple of seasons and is crying out for an upgrade via our current crop improving / the likes of Grujic & anyone else still to be purchased.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #204 on: July 18, 2016, 07:12:26 pm »
I think Alonso would be a bit lost in a Klopp side, to be honest. He seems to want us to win the ball all over the pitch, rather than have a "man with a mop" approach as under Rafa. He also wants quicker transitions, and while Alonso's distribution was wonderful, I don't think he ever really put in the workrate that Klopp seems to like so much.

In Can, we have a very different sort of player, he's never going to spray those thirty yard passes over the pitch, but he will carry the ball forwards more often, and is more pro-active in getting it back. Alonso could read the game wonderfully, but he didn't tackle. For me, the whole Heavy Metal Football thing suggests we'll be a bit more gung-ho, with men flying forwards, winning balls all over the pitch and applying instant pressure, rather than the build up and sucker-punch of a long Alonso pass flicked on by Gerrard for Torres to race onto.
Agree with that. People seem to think we need a distributor type in our midfield, but looking at our targets this summer it's clear that's not what Klopp is after. He seems to be looking for players who can carry the ball forward, are good at tight spaces, can get around and obviously good passers, but not exactly controllers a la Alonso.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #205 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:48 pm »

I agree. This is also one aspect of the game where I think Rodgers and Klopp have similar ideas.

The phase of play we struggle with the most is when we have the ball under control at CB. It's been far too easy to provoke a hoof, by putting a bit of pressure on our CMs. When they get the ball they tend to just pass it back, putting defenders under pressure which often results in an aimless long ball. We need more skill and agility at CM.

If we do change to 433 (or 4-1-4-1 which I have seen signs of in the preseason), I would love to see Coutinho one notch further down. He is amazingly good at turning and dribbling. His defense is not the best though.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #206 on: July 18, 2016, 07:23:52 pm »
may as well stick this in here too.

I can still see us get a LB and a CM even with Wijnaldum and Kanas signed. Just taking this XI as a maybe not saying it will be so, looking at this it is tasty. LB & CM vital for us more now as i am very excited about this squad.       

Karius

Clyne        Matip                    Lovren         LB

Can                                   CM     

Mane                 Coutinho                 Firminio

Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Moreno, Sakho, Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Ings.

That is some 18 and we still have Klavan, Gomez, Smith, Randall, Flanagan, Stewart, Grujic, Kent Brannagan, Milner, Origi.

Honestly can see Bogdan, Ilori, Wisdom, Lucas, Allen, Markovic, Benteke and Balotelli going out this Summer.

Bet ya i am missing someone  ;D

Good shout Sarge,
Although I do feel if we were to spend the reported £25m on Giorgio I wouldn't expect him to be benched.
Phil for me is better left of that front 3 too than central.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »
may as well stick this in here too.

I can still see us get a LB and a CM even with Wijnaldum and Kanas signed. Just taking this XI as a maybe not saying it will be so, looking at this it is tasty. LB & CM vital for us more now as i am very excited about this squad.       

Karius

Clyne        Matip                    Lovren         LB

Can                                   CM     

Mane                 Coutinho                 Firminio

Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Moreno, Sakho, Henderson, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Ings.

That is some 18 and we still have Klavan, Gomez, Smith, Randall, Flanagan, Stewart, Grujic, Kent Brannagan, Milner, Origi.

Honestly can see Bogdan, Ilori, Wisdom, Lucas, Allen, Markovic, Benteke and Balotelli going out this Summer.

Bet ya i am missing someone  ;D

We can only have 25 players over 21 in the squad, so something will have to give.
Here's the list I drew up a couple of weeks ago. These are players at the club who would need to be listed in the 25 man squad under the current rules if we were going to play them.

1. Karius 2. Clyne 3. Lovren 4. Milner 5. Benteke 6. Coutinho
7. Firmino 8. Henderson 9. Sturridge 10. Sakho 11. Moreno
12. Mane 13. Lallana 14. Lucas 15. Mignolet 16. Can
17. Allen 18. Ilori 19. Ings 20. Matip 21. Bogdan 22. Stewart
23. Skrtel 24. Flanagan 25. Dunn 26. Smith 27. Balotelli
28. Wisdom 29. Markovic 30. Ward 31. L. Alberto

Now since then we've sold Skrtel, and we are reportedly ready to bring in Klavan as a direct replacement, which leaves us in the same situation. Ward has gone on loan, so we're down to 30. Again, I don't think it's helpful to start drawing up lists of who we should sell, but it is clear that if we want to sign Wijnaldum, or another LB, then there will need to be some players leaving.

Karius
Mignolet

Clyne    Sakho     Matip    Moreno
Lovren/Gomez*/Klavan/Flanagan

Can     Henderson
Grujic*/Milner/Lucas/Allen/Stewart

Firmino    Coutinho    Sane
Lallana/Markovic/Ojo*

Sturridge
Ings/Origi*

For instance, that leaves just three more places for any new signings, and any of the following:

Benteke, Ilori, Bogdan, Dunn, Smith, Balotelli, Wisdom, L. Alberto.

It also suggests that if anything we are overstocked in the holding roles
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 18, 2016, 07:34:21 pm »
Good shout Sarge,
Although I do feel if we were to spend the reported £25m on Giorgio I wouldn't expect him to be benched.

It would put him below Mane and Firmino in terms of a fee, why would he start ahead of either?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #209 on: July 18, 2016, 07:36:04 pm »
Good shout Sarge,

Read my post ya gobshite ;D I said its not the actual starting XI.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #210 on: July 18, 2016, 07:54:08 pm »
It would put him below Mane and Firmino in terms of a fee, why would he start ahead of either?

I don't see him competing for their places.
With the first 3 games away we'll probably go 4-2-3-1.
Do you see Giorgio benched?
I see where you're coming from with the fee & it's 'insignificance' tho,maybe if he was £4.2m I'd agree.
Roles reversed & we pay £25m for Ragnar(or any CB)..does he start?
I do enjoy these types of debate!

SargeJK you fecker! 😀

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 18, 2016, 07:55:30 pm »
Matip injured? Seen leaving the Spire hospital. Just as I was crazy excited to see him play.

He had a minor problem on Sunday but it isn't anything to worry about. He was most likely just having things checked out.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #212 on: July 18, 2016, 08:16:45 pm »
My best guess now would be:

Marius

Flyne                     Latip                      Slavan                Millwell

Stan

Menderson                   Wijnaldum?

Mankovic                                                   Loutinho

FIngs/Sturrigi

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:21:15 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #213 on: July 18, 2016, 08:31:40 pm »
I'm fairly certain Firmino will be a starter.

Me too. Top player, class in Germany for 4 seasons, still only 24 and on the up. Firmino was statistically one of the very best players in the league after the Christmas period last season. His only flaw is that he takes a little while to get going after injuries, which he had two last season.

Other than that, Firmino is an absolute lock in the 11 for me. He's class.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #214 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »
I'm fairly certain Firmino will be a starter.
Not even something worth pondering or opine on mate. It's a redundant given.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Je99ers

• Kopite
« Reply #215 on: July 18, 2016, 09:28:08 pm »
I think it's worth discussing the 2016/17 Liverpool side as it likely stands heading into pre-season. Obviously there still could be a few players coming in and most definitely there will be a few going out but I wanted to avoid transfer discussion as much as possible and look at what we currently have as a team and how if fits together.

To me the team will likely be:

Karius
                                       Mignolet

Clyne               Lovren                  Sakho             Moreno
Flanagan           Gomez                    Matip              **Gomez

Henderson               Can

Milner                     Lucas

Mane              *Firmino            Coutinho
           Lallana                  Ings              Markovic/Ojo

Sturridge
                                       Origi

*Firmino/Ings as more no.7, CF or 2nd striker types in this formation than the no.10 type associated with the position behind the striker in a 4-2-3-1 traditional thought of.
** Probably a young LB to come in if rumours are true

On so many levels this team works better than last season. Lets remember the first two games we started the season with:

Mignolet
Clyne     Skrtel      Lovren     Gomez
          Henderson      Milner
       Ibe          Lallana      Coutinho
                       Benteke

The next few games we switching to a 4-3-3 with Firmino/Coutinho out wide and the extra AM in Lallana coming out for Lucas (as a DM) causing a new set of problems. In terms of balance last seasons side started out a complete mess, many including myself were dismayed with this. Not enough goals, very little pace, an unbalanced DM/CM partnership and a CB pairing that played very different styles. I don't think it's revisionism, it was heavily discussed at the time and obvious to most, IMO a big part of why so many were losing faith in Rodgers despite the wonderful football he gave us in 2013/14.

Klopp's brought a far more pragmatic style of football but still suffered from the lack of balance in the squad, it's nice this summer to see some improvements in terms of quality; Karius an obvious upgrade, Mane compared to Ibe and a fit Sturridge vs Benteke. But more than that I think the cohesion of the new squad overall brings me confidence. We should see a far more coherent game style this coming season with players that compliment each other better. Squad is coming together nicely IMO.

I'm interested to hear others opinions are but I'm excited by the potential this side has to scoring on transition.  Last season we did a good job pressing but Benteke was obviously the wrong striker to capitalize and while it was a lot better with Origi or Sturridge up front I still felt Lallana, Coutinho and Firmino in combination lacked the explosiveness to support our striker in the "Gegenpressing" style of play. It was good and one thing I thought was encouraging was Origi and Sturridge as a striker partnership, in a very small sample size they scored at an incredible rate together and I hope it is explored further this season, but I felt we clearly needed a second pace player, Mane the key addition here.  Mane brings the pre-requisite level of pressing we've been seeing from Firmino, Coutinho and Lallana but adds a missing and much need element of not only pace but finishing ability. As good as the other three have been, and you could add Milner, I think we could get more from them with a player like Mane able to get in behind defences providing a second threat in addition to a mobile striker leading the line.

To me this team still has issues. Karius isn't great coming for crosses and we've still got two undersized fullbacks if we start Moreno and Clyne, with Moreno a little era prone. That leaves me thinking we're still going to be vulnerable at corners and set pieces and a little vulnerable down the left side. The potential suspension looming for Sakho could disrupt the continuity developing between our CB partnership and I worry about the suitability of our four midfield options (Can, Henderson, Milner and Lucas) in a midfield two. I suppose I want to know what people think in terms of:
1) How you see the team setting up?
2) What will be our big strengths and biggest problems this season?
3) How do we get better?

Rodgers has made his squad to be overcrowded, Klopp is still working to trim down to 25 regular players including youngsters like Stewart (23 years old), Brannagan (20 years old), Smith (22 years old), Flanagan (23 years old), Gomez (19 years old), and so on!

The squad should be simple with:

3 goalkeepers (Karius, Mignolet, ??)
2 right-back (Clyne, Flanagan)
4 central defenders (Lovern, Sahko, Matip, Gomez)
2 left-back (Smith, ??)
8 midfielders (Henderson, Can, Milner, Grujic, Lallana, Moreno, Stewart, Brannagan)
2 playmakers/wingers (Coutinho, Firmino)
4 strikers (Sturridge, Ings, Origi, Mane)

We know Moreno lack defensive experience, but I would keep him as a left-sided pace midfielder - he reminds me of Riise who should have played more as a left-sided midfielder instead of defender!   Klopp could sign Hector or Robertson to be an naturally left-sided full back along with Smith and sign another goalkeeper as a 3rd choice goalkeeper.

Except youngsters, the rest of players will have to find new clubs.    It just does not work well if you have too many players in the squad.   In that way, they can be a world class team together.   More easier for one out, one in in a same position otherwise we'll be confused and lost.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 18, 2016, 09:30:42 pm »
My best guess now would be:

Karius
                                          Mignolet

Clyne                     Matip                      Sakho                Moreno
Flanagan                Lovren                    Klavan?               Chillwell?

Can
                                          Stewart

Henderson                   Wijnaldum?
                         Milner                           Karius

Mane                                                 Coutinho
            Markovic                                               Lallana

Sturridge
                                         Origi
                                        Firmino
                                          Ings                                             

At the moment I personally still think Lucas is required as I don't trust Stewart to cover for Can but not sure Klopp agrees. I suspect Markovic will leave making way for Ojo but not ready to exclude Lazar from thinking either yet. Ilori, Gomez, Ojo also floating around the squad outside this group. Alberto, Smith, Allen, Benteke, Balotelli, Wisdom, Bogdon the players I would move on.

I take it you meant Grujic under Wijnaldum? Agree with the idea. If we want to play 4-2-3-1, we can quite easily make the switch too. For me, that's still our best option, if we field:

Karius - Clyne, Matip, Sakho, Moreno - Can, Henderson - Mane, Firmino, Coutinho - Sturridge

Subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Flanagan, Lucas, Milner, Lallana and Benteke. Then we could fill up with Ward, Gomez, Smith, Ilori, Brannagan, Stewart, Ojo etc. 

If we plan to go 4-3-3, it's the same back four, the same front four minus Firmino/Sturridge. In CM we could still opt for Can, MIlner, Henderson. Like you, I could see the point in hanging on to Markovic, but I'm not convinced we will. I think it's clear that we'll sign a new LB and since I included Benteke, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new first pick striker arrive. Because everyone knows Benteke is off. A possible solution is to shift Markovic and get someone like Goetze, who can play in more positions. Don't think that's the best option, but it's one way to deal with things. That would perhaps not make us so much sharper, but it would define the roles for Ings and Origi better.

There's one more thing I miss from that team and it's a new first pick CM. The CMs we have now don't impress me. It's not bad, but nor great and we have too many options. It's really only Can I feel we'll see every week. Wijnaldum, I can't say I've seen a great deal of him, but why him for CM when we have Henderson? I don't get it.

For me it's still 4-2-3-1 when everyone is back fit. The likely scenario going forward is still lots of exits and 2-3 new signings. Those signings though, they need to be real improvements on the 11. Going back a few years in time, Riise/Aurelio, Alonso/Mascherano and Torres/Suarez should give us an indication of what level we should be looking for.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 18, 2016, 09:39:55 pm »
I don't see him competing for their places.
With the first 3 games away we'll probably go 4-2-3-1.
Do you see Giorgio benched?
I see where you're coming from with the fee & it's 'insignificance' tho,maybe if he was £4.2m I'd agree.
Roles reversed & we pay £25m for Ragnar(or any CB)..does he start?
I do enjoy these types of debate!

For me it's about the player and the team, not the pricetag.

That said, if you're moving Coutinho to the left, and you don't see Wijnaldum competing with Sane or Firmino, erm, no, I'm lost. You want to play all four of them?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 18, 2016, 09:51:31 pm »

Perfectly said.

It is about the team, the player and the system.

The price tag is in my view the least of our worries. The lower the better

Matip on a free - Yes please

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #219 on: July 18, 2016, 09:53:07 pm »
A lot of people leaving Firmino out of their prospective first teams which is a little unfair on the lad. I was one of his bigger critics last year as he blew hot and cold, even during his purple patch. Nonetheless, it's not sensible to leave a player with as many goals and assists in him out of the team. Here's what I think the team could be:

Karius

Clyne
Matip (I think he should have to play his way into the defence but have a feeling Jurgen will start with him.)
Lovren/Sakho
Moreno  :butt (Still hoping a first choice left back will be signed but in the meantime it's him.)

Can
Henderson
Wijnaldum (If he signs I can't see him coming to sit on the bench.)

Coutinho
Firmino/Mane
Sturridge

Think we could see a lot of 4-3-3 this season although these players could easily fit into a 4-2-3-1 as well.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 18, 2016, 10:01:16 pm »
A lot of people leaving Firmino out of their prospective first teams which is a little unfair on the lad. I was one of his bigger critics last year as he blew hot and cold, even during his purple patch. Nonetheless, it's not sensible to leave a player with as many goals and assists in him out of the team. Here's what I think the team could be:

Karius

Clyne
Matip (I think he should have to play his way into the defence but have a feeling Jurgen will start with him.)
Lovren/Sakho
Moreno  :butt (Still hoping a first choice left back will be signed but in the meantime it's him.)

Can
Henderson
Wijnaldum (If he signs I can't see him coming to sit on the bench.)

Coutinho
Firmino/Mane
Sturridge

Think we could see a lot of 4-3-3 this season although these players could easily fit into a 4-2-3-1 as well.

I can see what your saying, what about Milner, he was our top assist last year and for most part our captain.

Why would Mane be happy on the bench.

I think Origi, Lallana and Ings might be pissed off too.

Potentially and it is early days I know, but I have a feeling we might just be about to see a start of a new era stability in our squad.

After wholesale changes year after year, window after window, I think Klopp will build this summer and say that's it we go as we are.

January will only be for emergencies.

This squad is beginning to look balanced. So much so we can all name one or two positions that need further help after that we struggle

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #221 on: July 18, 2016, 10:13:42 pm »
I can see what your saying, what about Milner, he was our top assist last year and for most part our captain.

Why would Mane be happy on the bench.

I think Origi, Lallana and Ings might be pissed off too.

Potentially and it is early days I know, but I have a feeling we might just be about to see a start of a new era stability in our squad.

After wholesale changes year after year, window after window, I think Klopp will build this summer and say that's it we go as we are.

January will only be for emergencies.

This squad is beginning to look balanced. So much so we can all name one or two positions that need further help after that we struggle

I agree that Milner had great stats last season. I just think that the three I've mentioned above are better at their best. Milner is an elder statesman too. Perhaps Klopp would prefer to build his base with players with more of a future. That said, he could equally see Milner's experience as invaluable. Maybe I'm allowing my personal view of Milner cloud my judgement. When he's good he's really good, but when he's bad he is very, very bad. Not saying that Origi, Lallana or Ings have no role either. I think Klopp is a big fan of all three players. My view would be that he sees Ings as an impact player, and in fairness Origi could start ahead of Sturridge to tire defences allowing him to come on and pick them off. While I'm a fan of Lallana it would be hard to justify starting him ahead of the likes of Coutinho, Firmino and Mane given his productivity issues. Nonetheless, a good player for Klopp's gegenpressing. Definitely don't think Mane will be on the bench, but I don't think Firmino will be either so there will be competition for that place.

Offline motisingh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #222 on: July 18, 2016, 10:49:55 pm »
There has been a lot of negativity on the transfer window but I really think Klopp is and should be happy. There are so many options and we are still miles away from the end of the transfer window. If we sign Wijnaldum, this would probably be our strongest starting 11:

------------------------------Karius----------------------------

----Clyne-----------Matip---------Sakho-------Moreno----

-----------------------------Can-------------------------------

---------------Milner(c)-------------Wijnaldum------------

---Mane-----------------Sturridge-------------Coutinho----

subs: Mignolet, Lovren, Flanagan, Henderson, Lallana, Firmino, Origi

That's with Klavan, Gomez, Smith, Stewart, Brannagan, Grujic Ojo, Ejaria, Woodburn, Kent, Ings all not in the 18 but probably will stay at the club and not be loaned out this year

I'm guessing that Bogdan, Wisdom, Ilori, Randall, Lucas, Allen, Luis Alberto, Markovic, Chirivella, Allan, Balotelli, Benteke will either be sold or loaned out

That's still a lot of options and that first 11 has a bit of everything. It's difficult to leave out Firmino but Mane gives us width and so for me it would be between Sturridge/Firmino for who starts.

Imagine now we upgrade on Moreno and someone else to upgrade on Milner!

I'm very happy

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 18, 2016, 11:04:04 pm »

The only real concern I'd have with that is Can's importance. If he's out, who takes his place? For the rest of the positions, the answer is there. Replace Origi with Lucas and it's solved.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline motisingh

• Anny Roader
« Reply #224 on: July 18, 2016, 11:16:26 pm »
The only real concern I'd have with that is Can's importance. If he's out, who takes his place? For the rest of the positions, the answer is there. Replace Origi with Lucas and it's solved.

True- Milner, Wijnaldum, Henderson, Grujic are all attacking. If Lucas goes, that leaves us with Stewart as the only back up. Maybe we should buy another defensive destroyer then rather than a Milner upgrade. Can is able to play in any of the three positions after all

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 18, 2016, 11:29:22 pm »
Just a wee comment - Is Klopps style of football that unusual these days with the aggressive press as the way I see things panning out nearly every team will attempt to do the same thing. I don't think our squad will be much fitter than anyone else and surely the way forward is not to out run the opposition but to outplay them...no? Play smarter not harder.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2016, 11:39:22 pm »
Just a wee comment - Is Klopps style of football that unusual these days with the aggressive press as the way I see things panning out nearly every team will attempt to do the same thing. I don't think our squad will be much fitter than anyone else and surely the way forward is not to out run the opposition but to outplay them...no? Play smarter not harder.
Apart from increasing your chances to win top fitness also significantly decreases the risk of injuries - you look at Spurs and Leicester they practically didn`t have any injuries at all unlike us, Arsenal, Utd for example , so yes it`s incredibly important, availability is an important ability.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2016, 11:47:30 pm »
It's not unusual in the sense that he wants to play an "aggressive press". Where Klopp gets his advantage is how he uses the press. It's not as clear-cut as saying that we'll dominate everyone just by outrunning them. There's more nuance to it than that, not to mention the fact that Klopp's game isn't only about pressing anyway.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #228 on: July 19, 2016, 12:40:43 am »
Like the look of these CBs. Matip, Lovren, Sakho, and Klavan can all pass well from the back. Can't remember the last time all our CBs had the passing range and accuracy to comfortably bypass the midfield without hoofing it.

As pure speculation, I wonder if this is the reason Klopp is looking for a dynamic, high-energy #8 (e.g. Zielinski, Wijnaldum) instead of a deep-lying playmaker? Our midfield this season won't need an exquisite passing range if our CBs can do much of the long passing themselves.   

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:56 am »
As pure speculation, I wonder if this is the reason Klopp is looking for a dynamic, high-energy #8 (e.g. Zielinski, Wijnaldum) instead of a deep-lying playmaker? Our midfield this season won't need an exquisite passing range if our CBs can do much of the long passing themselves.
Definitely not; a great passing range isn't the essential quality of the sort of player we lack - what we need is someone who can control a game, who knows how and when to pause it, how and when to speed it up, how to help build play, when to play direct and when to play indirect, when to switch and when not to, when to play short and when to play long, what position to be in to receive, what angle to make, how to create space etc. Last season we were too reliant on Sakho and Can when building play from the back and consequently our game was rather limited. Adding a RCB who's relatively competent on the ball doesn't really solve that problem, a problem that fundamentally lies in midfield.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:43 am »
Definitely not; a great passing range isn't the essential quality of the sort of player we lack - what we need is someone who can control a game, who knows how and when to pause it, how and when to speed it up, how to help build play, when to play direct and when to play indirect, when to switch and when not to, when to play short and when to play long, what position to be in to receive, what angle to make, how to create space etc. Last season we were too reliant on Sakho and Can when building play from the back and consequently our game was rather limited. Adding a RCB who's relatively competent on the ball doesn't really solve that problem, a problem that fundamentally lies in midfield.

How do you think is the best that we have in the squad now for this task?
Can you give some examples of players who can help us solve this?

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2016, 01:51:25 am »
How do you think is the best that we have in the squad now for this task?
Can you give some examples of players who can help us solve this?
In our squad - nobody really. Allen and Can are the closest and neither of them fits that role. Essentially, we'd have to buy someone. There is some flexibility, especially with Can's skill-set - you could sign someone like Neves who plays deep or you could sign someone like Dahoud who plays a little higher. Personally I'd go all out for Oliver Torres, who could be a very special player if used well and is also a year or two older than Dahoud and Neves.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2016, 02:41:08 am »
There has been a lot of negativity on the transfer window but I really think Klopp is and should be happy. There are so many options and we are still miles away from the end of the transfer window. If we sign Wijnaldum, this would probably be our strongest starting 11:

That's with Klavan, Gomez, Smith, Stewart, Brannagan, Grujic Ojo, Ejaria, Woodburn, Kent, Ings all not in the 18 but probably will stay at the club and not be loaned out this year

I'm guessing that Bogdan, Wisdom, Ilori, Randall, Lucas, Allen, Luis Alberto, Markovic, Chirivella, Allan, Balotelli, Benteke will either be sold or loaned out

That's still a lot of options and that first 11 has a bit of everything. It's difficult to leave out Firmino but Mane gives us width and so for me it would be between Sturridge/Firmino for who starts.

Imagine now we upgrade on Moreno and someone else to upgrade on Milner!

I'm very happy

That's very close to my team too but I would put Lucas on the bench ahead of Lallana for team balance. Milner and Wijnaldum can cover wide areas in a similar fashion to Lallana but nobody in the squad can do the defensive midfield job well should Can be subbed out. Lallana on talent, but Lucas feels more pragmatic.

And this is far and away the most balanced squad we've had in a long while. Plenty of pace, good creativity and variety of goal threats. A good mix of guys that can beat a man on the dribble and pass the ball. All of the group are high energy players suited to Klopp's gegenpressing system and I think there's an intriguing amount of tactical flexibility, given the versatility of Wijnaldum and Milner Klopp could easily switch formation with out the need to change players on the pitch.

With a full week of training between matches we should be a well drilled side that has time to prepare for our next opponent. I'm really excited about our prospects for the season. I'm still of the opinion LB can be improved but we've fixed so many problems that have frustrated fans this summer that I'm not that bothered.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline rednationals

• Anny Roader
Re: The Premier League Squad
« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2016, 07:13:33 am »
I was going to do a post about how in Europe it's four club trained home grown players plus four association trained home growns and how we only have two of he former, then I remembered we're not in Europe 😢

also, to be an exempt U21 player accourding to UEFA, you need to have been with the club for 2 years, so Grujic would have to be put on the senior list.

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: July 19, 2016, 07:37:01 am »
It may have been suggested already but maybe we'll be playing with 2 main variations depending on our opponents, 4-2-3-1 at home against weaker opposition and 4-3-2-1 away and against more dangerous teams for the added control in midfield.

Karius
                                                                                                        Mignolet

Clyne                                Lovren                                        Sakho                                   Moreno
                                         Flanagan                           Matip                                          Klavan                                   New Lb

Milner                      Can                        Wijnaldum
                                                                               Henderson               Lucas/Stewart        Grujic   

Mane                                                                   Coutinho
                                                                     Lallana                                                                 Firmino

Sturridge
                                                                                                          Origi
                                                                                                          Ings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Karius
                                                                                                          Mignolet

Clyne                           Lovren                                                  Sakho                                  Moreno 
                                          Flanagan                      Matip                                                    Klavan                                  New Lb

Can                                Henderson
                                                                                        Lucas                             Grujic

Milner                                           Firmino                                     Coutinho
                                                       Mane                                            Lallana                                      Wijnaldum

Sturridge
                                                                                                          Origi
                                                                                                          Ings

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #235 on: July 19, 2016, 07:47:47 am »

That said, if you're moving Coutinho to the left, and you don't see Wijnaldum competing with Sane or Firmino, erm, no, I'm lost. You want to play all four of them?

I made a post how I'd play with what we might expect at the start of the season here..

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=328843.msg14796596#msg14796596

I do think JK will go 4-2-3-1 tho,maybe Hendo (or Milner) will drop into the 2 leaving Giorgio box to box.
A fair amount of a grey area as yet.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2016, 08:41:21 am »
We really shouldn't worry about but where will so and so play. So and so won't be happy on the bench. Do you forget how many injuries we get?
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 19, 2016, 08:44:21 am »
That's very close to my team too but I would put Lucas on the bench ahead of Lallana for team balance. Milner and Wijnaldum can cover wide areas in a similar fashion to Lallana but nobody in the squad can do the defensive midfield job well should Can be subbed out. Lallana on talent, but Lucas feels more pragmatic.

And this is far and away the most balanced squad we've had in a long while. Plenty of pace, good creativity and variety of goal threats. A good mix of guys that can beat a man on the dribble and pass the ball. All of the group are high energy players suited to Klopp's gegenpressing system and I think there's an intriguing amount of tactical flexibility, given the versatility of Wijnaldum and Milner Klopp could easily switch formation with out the need to change players on the pitch.

With a full week of training between matches we should be a well drilled side that has time to prepare for our next opponent. I'm really excited about our prospects for the season. I'm still of the opinion LB can be improved but we've fixed so many problems that have frustrated fans this summer that I'm not that bothered.

A midfield of Milner/Henderson Wiljinaldum and Can is far from balanced.

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: July 19, 2016, 08:49:11 am »
A midfield of Milner/Henderson Wiljinaldum and Can is far from balanced.

You left off Lucas, I think it is.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #239 on: July 19, 2016, 08:53:13 am »
Is wijnaldum really a cm? I thought he was a am/winger