Author Topic: Sadio Mané  (Read 1759592 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: Liverpool Officially Sign Sadio Mané !!
« Reply #480 on: July 17, 2016, 03:39:37 am »
Genuine question; who was the last player we had with such a direct playing style other than Suarez?
Moreno, Can, Origi and Ings. They are more direct players in the mold of Mane. There needs to be a balance- we need some direct players and some who are more possession-oriented.

Then we need one in every part of our team- defense, midfield and attack(some of those are covered); in addition to being deployed centrally, and on either side(RCB, LB, CM, RW, STR - for instance). Finally- these two archetypal types of players need to be used correctly with the aim being "harmony". That will help make our team "complete" and armed to face many different opponents and systems. We shouldn't have too many of these direct sort of players though as that would be goal-scoring paradise for the opposition- exciting in a goalfest sense, but one-dimensional and possibly boring for those desiring a more aesthetic type of football.

You can't just have direct players- then you turn into Stoke/Newcastle and conversely, you can't just have possession-oriented players then you turn into Ajax/Barca. Truth is somewhere in the middle and so it is applicable to football- balance is truth: whatever is borne out of the middle of the two extremes is good.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:03:27 am by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: July 17, 2016, 05:57:17 am »
He's gonna catch a keeper or two snoozing and probably a few CBs.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: July 17, 2016, 10:59:25 am »
He is a perfect fit for Klopp's setup. If he can improve his consistency, he can be devastating for opposition defences.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: July 17, 2016, 07:24:29 pm »
Genuinely excited to see what he brings to the team when fully fit and playing refularly alongside the likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: July 17, 2016, 07:28:18 pm »
Can he get the Maxi Rodriguez song pretty please (desperately hoping it latches on to a new player)?

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2016, 07:47:18 pm »
Genuinely excited to see what he brings to the team when fully fit and playing refularly alongside the likes of Coutinho, Firmino, Sturridge..

A quartet of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane is probably what I'm looking forward to the most this season. Mane adds the final ingredients to a perfect, fluid and hard-working attacking brew Klopp's got cooking.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:35 pm »
A quartet of Sturridge, Coutinho, Firmino and Mane is probably what I'm looking forward to the most this season. Mane adds the final ingredients to a perfect, fluid and hard-working attacking brew Klopp's got cooking.

Bit concerned about the cobination play. Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge were not super fluid together and Mane does want to drift infield a lot.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: July 17, 2016, 09:16:57 pm »
Bit concerned about the cobination play. Coutinho, Firmino and Sturridge were not super fluid together and Mane does want to drift infield a lot.

I would certainly expect him to as he's not a chalk on the boots wide man.. and he won't score too many goals hugging the touchlines.. His goals have come when drifting infield..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: July 17, 2016, 09:20:17 pm »
They're all capable of interchanging positions and linking up. They'll have more time to get an understanding this year with the lack of European fixtures, our attacking third is not something I'm worried about.

Defending and midfield is where our weakness lies.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: July 17, 2016, 09:26:36 pm »
They're all capable of interchanging positions and linking up. They'll have more time to get an understanding this year with the lack of European fixtures, our attacking third is not something I'm worried about.

Defending and midfield is where our weakness lies.

Sometimes too many supposed interchanging players get in each others way. All want their ball to their feet as well.

On paper we would pick that four as our main attackers but i think to get a more cohesive attack the likes of Origi and Ings could force their way in.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: July 17, 2016, 09:33:42 pm »
Sometimes too many supposed interchanging players get in each others way. All want their ball to their feet as well.

On paper we would pick that four as our main attackers but i think to get a more cohesive attack the likes of Origi and Ings could force their way in.

Mane can make runs and isn't dependent on getting the ball just to his feet. We have options, Origi and Ings will definitely play a part, more than people think Again, the quality and options in the attacking third are our strongest point.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #491 on: July 17, 2016, 09:38:12 pm »

You tend to get a much higher chance of scoring from central positions and inside the box. One of our issues in the last couple of seasons is too few numbers in the box. With Firmino, Mane and Sturridge we're likely to have a minimum of three all the time.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 09:42:02 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: July 17, 2016, 09:46:14 pm »
Mane can make runs and isn't dependent on getting the ball just to his feet. We have options, Origi and Ings will definitely play a part, more than people think Again, the quality and options in the attacking third are our strongest point.

It definitely is a positive and we do have excellent options to call on.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #493 on: July 17, 2016, 09:50:50 pm »
You tend to get a much higher chance of scoring from central positions and inside the box. One of our issues in the last couple of seasons is too few numbers in the box. With Firmino, Mane and Sturridge we're likely to have a minimum of three all the time.
An Coutinho lurking around the edge of the box...
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #494 on: July 17, 2016, 10:07:59 pm »
There were about 3-4 occasions in the first half when Coutinho tried to through ball and pick out Mane`s run. It`s so encouraging to see so I think we`ll see Phil shoot lot less from outside of the box now that he has someone like Mane very often looking to get in behind. My favorite move was when Firmino dropped deep from his false 9 position , gave the ball to Phil who instantly had the option of Mane who was already on the last shoulder.

We`ll be seeing these kind of moves very often next season which is brilliant as they give us entire new dimension in the final third.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: July 18, 2016, 12:40:16 pm »
So what's that? Two games without a goal!??!? I can already smell the inconsistency!!

That is pretty consistent.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #496 on: July 20, 2016, 10:00:25 pm »
Again very encouraging link-up play between Sadio and Phil.

That move for the first penalty is something we`ll be seeing plenty of in the coming season. Teams wanting to play high line against us will be very unpleasantly surprised with how easy Phil can pick the runs of somebody so fast and clever as Sadio. Mane is really gonna help Phil improve his creativity numbers drastically compared to last season as for the most part Phil never had such an option the previous campaign.

Offline The Benitles

• Main Stander
« Reply #497 on: July 20, 2016, 10:33:55 pm »
Can he get the Maxi Rodriguez song pretty please (desperately hoping it latches on to a new player)?

What about doing something with Three Little Birds seeing as it's now our adopted tune:

"Singing don't worry... about a thing... Cos every little thing, is gonna be alright".

To

"Sadio Mane... on the wing... Cos with him and Danny Ings, its gonna be alright".

Offline SC04OCT

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #498 on: July 20, 2016, 11:10:54 pm »
He's gonna beast it against Arsenal.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #499 on: July 20, 2016, 11:21:16 pm »
Again very encouraging link-up play between Sadio and Phil.

That move for the first penalty is something we`ll be seeing plenty of in the coming season. Teams wanting to play high line against us will be very unpleasantly surprised with how easy Phil can pick the runs of somebody so fast and clever as Sadio. Mane is really gonna help Phil improve his creativity numbers drastically compared to last season as for the most part Phil never had such an option the previous campaign.

Mane and Firmino have a sweet little thing going as well. He's gonna be great for us if all goes to plan*. Quality players complement each other and that's what Sadio is bringing to the table here.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 08:47:18 am by ZeusMetallica »

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #500 on: July 21, 2016, 01:45:14 am »
He's going to be super important this season.

Really the perfect fit and with Sturridge/Origi pulling wide and Coutinho, Firmino, Milner and Henderson playing him in I think he could genuinely be a 20 goal season player, the pace and directness dovetails perfectly with what we've got.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Offline cricketrocks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: July 21, 2016, 01:59:01 am »
He's going to be super important this season.

Really the perfect fit and with Sturridge/Origi pulling wide and Coutinho, Firmino, Milner and Henderson playing him in I think he could genuinely be a 20 goal season player, the pace and directness dovetails perfectly with what we've got.
Yeah, it's pretty exciting actually.

Offline solidgold

• Main Stander
« Reply #502 on: July 21, 2016, 08:42:31 am »
I see the timing of his run very similar to that of Suarez. Only thing it is less diagonal but always early. This is really key as it will allow Firmino and Coutinho to make an early pass and not hold on to the ball longer than necessary.

Offline Wilmo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: July 21, 2016, 06:24:07 pm »
Ideal signing. Pacey, direct, good feet, scores goals.

Can't tell you how weird it was in the Wigan game seeing us line up with an honest-to-goodness winger. Weird but brilliant.
'History has always shown that when we stay together we can sort out problems. When we split then we start fighting. There was not one time in history where division creates success.' - Klopp

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #504 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:48 pm »
Turned down United to join us. Nice to hear.
YWNA

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #505 on: July 27, 2016, 12:16:52 am »

i bet that was a kick in the balls for mourinho.
dios esta buena

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: July 27, 2016, 12:54:08 am »
i bet that was a kick in the balls for mourinho.
Don't know if being tongue in cheek ... they went after him under Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal. Mourinho bought Mkhitaryan for his right wing
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: July 27, 2016, 02:30:50 am »

It doesn't mean much to me. Nice to hear, but many players have turned us down also.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #508 on: July 27, 2016, 10:59:31 am »
Don't know if being tongue in cheek ... they went after him under Aloysius Paulus Maria "Louis" van Gaal. Mourinho bought Mkhitaryan for his right wing

I think it was confirmed last night by James Pearce that he turned down an offer from Mourinho as well.

The lad did good.  :D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #509 on: July 27, 2016, 11:13:59 am »
66/1 to be top goalscorer with Betfair, who also pay 1/4 odds on first 5 places each way. If you fancy him to hit 15+ league goals, worth a few quid surely.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: July 31, 2016, 07:08:07 am »
Think this fella brings some dynamism to our right side that we've been missing. I know people will say that the fee is large but considering he's only 3 years older than Raheem I think he brings some great experience.

Looking forward to seeing him make defenders panic and back-track every time he runs at them with the ball.

And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #511 on: July 31, 2016, 08:26:26 am »
I've been saying that too. The right side of our attack has been rather impotent for at least two seasons. Mane will bring back what he had with an in form Sterling (although I know he mostly played on the left). I really miss that  synchrony  we had with Suarez, Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling. I think we'll get that this season with the likes of Mane, Wijnaldum in addition to Coutinho, Origi, Firmino and a fit and firing Sturridge.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: July 31, 2016, 05:25:27 pm »
His cross over almost making the Milan defender fall over was just joyful

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #513 on: July 31, 2016, 06:10:13 pm »

A delight. I was impressed with Mane last night. He gave the Milan back line problems all night with his bursts forward and quick feet. He can cross a ball as well which is always useful. What I liked the most though was his willingness to track back and his knack for nicking the ball off players' toes because of his blistering pace and ability to be on the scene before the opponent has even realised he's there. You can see that he fits into Klopp's profile of a player straight away - he's a good player to have in a gegenpressing system. Naturally we don't want to see our attacking talent in our own half scrapping for the ball a lot but regaining possession as quickly as possible is a key component of Klopp's philosophy. That is why Klopp will bring out the best in players like Mane.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #514 on: July 31, 2016, 06:56:58 pm »

Forget about the Milan defenders, I tripped over my own chair just looking at the shimmy crossover. ;D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!
« Reply #515 on: August 1, 2016, 10:44:20 am »

It was delicious!   8)

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #516 on: August 1, 2016, 11:29:10 am »
Our attacking options are now greatly improved and we should be getting more goals this season.
Looking forward to seeing mane in a 'settled' team, tearing up defences.
Doubters to Believers

Offline liverpool185

• Kopite
« Reply #517 on: August 1, 2016, 01:48:05 pm »
Predictions for how many he will score this season?

I reckon he will score at least 20 goals in my opinion.
David Moyes, a woman beater without actually beating a woman.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #518 on: August 1, 2016, 01:52:46 pm »
13 PL
3 FA cup
4 CC

Offline DivisiveNewSigning

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: August 1, 2016, 01:59:01 pm »
Predictions for how many he will score this season?

I reckon he will score at least 20 goals in my opinion.

I'd be more than happy with him replicating previous seasons and scoring around the 10-12 mark in the League. What I'd like to see more of, however, is game-winning goals rather than scoring in patches or in games when Southampton were giving teams a hiding.

I also think that his speed and movement will be invaluable in dragging defenders around to help our other players improve their scoring tallies.