Author Topic: Klopp's Second Season - What constitutes a good 16/17 season in your view?  (Read 124166 times)

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Actually I would  be perfectly happy beating all the teams 9th and below home and away, while taking any points we can from the other teams. Chances are we would be at least 4th

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
The main concern I have about Klopp (and LFC as a whole) is that if his tenure over several seasons doesn't work out, we literally have nowhere to go from there (other than the mega-rich sugar daddy option and I don't see that happening anytime soon). He is the perfect man for the job. If he can't get it done over several seasons, it'll be by no fault of his.

So, I have to remind myself that I should really have ZERO expectations for next season. Do I hope we can finish top 4?! Absolutely.  Silverware along the way?! That would be terrific. However, if it doesn't happen next season, it doesn't happen. We as a fan base need to be ok with that. The man needs time and we're up against some very BIG spenders at the top of the table. 

So, next year, for me, will be an exercise in patience and faith in the process. And I'll probably have to keep reminding myself of that  ;)

Onward & upward.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 05:16:19 pm by TrueNorthRED »
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
The main concern I have about Klopp (and LFC as a whole) is that if his tenure over several seasons doesn't work out, we literally have nowhere to go from there (other than the mega-rich sugar daddy option and I don't see that happening anytime soon). He is the perfect man for the job. If he can't get it done over several seasons, it'll be by no fault of his.

So, I have to remind myself that I should really have ZERO expectations for next season. Do I hope we can finish top 4?! Absolutely.  Silverware along the way?! That would be terrific. However, if it doesn't happen next season, it doesn't happen. We as a fan base need to be ok with that. The man needs time and we're up against some very BIG spenders at the top of the table. 

So, next year, for me, will be an exercise is patience and faith in the process. And I'll probably have to keep reminding myself of that  ;)

Onward & upward.

:thumbup

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
Top four and a trophy or its another failed season.

So if we finish top four without a trophy it's a failed season then. Okaaaaaayyyy...

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
I just hope we keep Jurgen for as long as Mainz and Dortmund had him. Leicester City won the league last season in the era of modern day football being as voracious and as unrecognisable as it's ever been. Money talks, of course it does, but if you sign the right players, have a big enough squad and have a top quality manager then you can achieve anything.

If Klopp stays for 5 years we'll win at least one title and other trophies. I have never been more certain of anything in my life. If it's next year then great, if it's a bit further down the line then no problem.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
Think some of you need to remind yourselves we have Jurgen Klopp in charge of the team not Roy Hodgosaurus although some people seem to have been brainwashed by the latter's nightmare spell here...Zero expectations fuckinell'

If Liverpool don't reach the CL next season Klopp will be as disappointed as I will be.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
Top 4 minimum, I actually expect a serious challenge for the league and wouldn't be surprised to see us win it.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
Think some of you need to remind yourselves we have Jurgen Klopp in charge of the team not Roy Hodgosaurus although some people seem to have been brainwashed by the latter's nightmare spell here...Zero expectations fuckinell'

If Liverpool don't reach the CL next season Klopp will be as disappointed as I will be.

Not sure whether you're directing that at me but just in case....

I was quite clear that my fear isn't motivated by a "Hodgsonesque manager". He's Klopp. He's perfect for us. But he's not a miracle worker. You'd be foolish to think that it's not going to be a VERY tight top 4 race next year. Perhaps the tightest in recent memory. Leicester City was anomaly. We all know that. So the question is: who's place do you see us taking next year? Chelsea under Conte after their nailed-on massive spending spree? Guardiola and his rumored 150 million over-haul? The anti-christ and his rumored blank check? Arsenal who are nothing if not perpetual top four finishers? Where do we fit in? My point was, and still is, that we are not poised to even compete with this lot for signings this summer. Perhaps over the next few season we can chip away at it. But to base Klopp's success in Germany and assume the same outcome in England would be an exercise in masochism. 
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
But he's not a miracle worker.
Are you sure about that?

What he achieved in his first season with such heavily criticized squad and the level of performances he reached with them in EL was nothing short of miraculous especially when you consider the state of the squad when he took over in terms of confidence and balance.

When people say we don`t need superstars we have Klopp it`s not a fantasy, we`ve already seen in his first season what he`s capable of. Good health provided we are looking very likely to be up there in the mix.

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
He's only just started building "his" team and already stated that some players might take a while to settle in and so not to judge them too soon.

So with that in mind, I don't expect a massive difference from this season to last, to start with. Maybe halfway through we will see it click in and, who knows, with a couple of January signings we might just get into the top 4.

Season 17/18 is the one where I fully expect to see the REAL Klopp team show us what it's made of.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
indeed I am going to relax and watch how Klopp goes about building his team. He reminds me a lot of that other Manc manager and he hates losing.

Also to do well in the league, we need to consistently beat the teams who are meant to be struggling, they are struggling with relegation for a reason and this we did not do last season, but we did when we are challenging. So if Klopp can suss these teams out its a good start

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think if you look at his previous history, his teams usually take 3 seasons in order to effectively lay down his style of play consistently on the pitch, translating into results. I won't expect anything different here.

He has already said that when the new signings come, be patient, as it will take time for them to get used to the squad and vice versa. So this year, I think there will be a lot of disappointments, but having less games will probably mean more time on the training pitch. That alone ushers in improvement, especially in our younger players.

I think 2018 you will effectively see the spine of the team being set in stone. This year? I'm just hoping that we will get some form of European football for next year, otherwise we will have a hard time to keep, and attract, enough players for a big squad.

Offline Jim Pooley

• Not quite fit enough for walking football
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Still can't afford an avatar.
- Better consistency in both performances and results.
- At the end of the season, feeling like we don't need to make any significant additions to the squad because the players we have are working so well together.
- And yes, given the reduced fixture list, probably top 4 albeit a difficult ask.

Offline 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
I think if you look at his previous history, his teams usually take 3 seasons in order to effectively lay down his style of play consistently on the pitch, translating into results. I won't expect anything different here.

He has already said that when the new signings come, be patient, as it will take time for them to get used to the squad and vice versa. So this year, I think there will be a lot of disappointments, but having less games will probably mean more time on the training pitch. That alone ushers in improvement, especially in our younger players.

I think 2018 you will effectively see the spine of the team being set in stone. This year? I'm just hoping that we will get some form of European football for next year, otherwise we will have a hard time to keep, and attract, enough players for a big squad.
Agree with this; I just hope our fans can cope with them. Talk of Title challenges is way off the mark, even finishing in a Top 4 spot will be extremely tough and don't fucking mention Leicester as their title win was something we'll not see again in our lifetimes.

As such I have no real expectations for this season whatsoever and I am happy just to watch it unfold and hope Klopp and the team move in the right direction.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
to the question what would constitute to a good season, i would say winning a trophy would. Not that I am going to hold anything against Klopp if he doesn't manage that because he's someone who clearly gets us.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Early days yet as really hoping for a couple of more class additions, if added We should be challenging for the Top 4 and having a good go in the Cups considering we have no European football. If our big deals are done then better pray Sturridge stays fit as we need him and 20 league goals via his boot to have any chance.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
Top 4.

Obviously a trophy would be fantastic, but top 4 is what will determine if the season's a success or not.

Without EL/CL to worry about, and with one of Europe's best at the managerial helm - If we don't make top 4 this season, it will undoubtedly be an underachievement.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
Considering the main links now seem to be zielinski and chilwell I'm pretty worried we won't be anywhere near top 4.

Our two main weaknesses was a playmaker/DM and left back. We'll have failed to improve those two areas.

Dahoud looks unlikely but ignoring getting an alternative could cost us.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
          • evidence of youth breaking into the first team, so that we know there is an effective long term model
          • the establishment of a strong, recognisable first choice XI
          • a mental toughness, with many leaders in many positions
          • surving the first month (difficult fixtures) without a RAWK meltdown
          • confident goalkeeping, behind a stable CB partnership
          • the retention of key talent e.g. Coutinho, Klopp
          • greater connection between the fans and the players, with more energy from supporters at Anfield whatever the fixture
          • something to play for in May 17
          • a recognisable style of play that is feared by our opponents and loved by our fans
          • the emergence of a gritty, dominant central midfield with technical composure

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
Top four right now I'd bite your hand off. Steady progress and the signs of a plan formulating. I don't want to get my expectations too high as I think we have a great manager who needs time to build a team and a squad capable of creating a team who can win things. A consistent league campaign ending with us in the top four would be an incredible achievement I think.

Talk of title at this stage is pointless and self harmful. Let's get a result at Arsenal and go from there!

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
It'll be a good season if we the crowd act like supporters not consumers and if the team play like they mean it. I think the results will then follow.

Offline please stop 2016

• Boys Pen
With only the league to contend for why can't we dare to dream I'm excited  :)

Offline LOHAG

• Main Stander
I think progresion & consistency are all I'm after.
Progression of players - we've already seen sprinklings of this (Lallana, Origi, lovren, frimino et Al) and I'd like to see this continue
Progression of the team - playing better, picking up more wins, scoring more goals, conceding less goals.

Consistency of a style of play (I don't think we are too far away from this)
Consistency of performance. Too often I have said in response to the question ' how do you think we will get on today?' I've replied 'depends which Liverpool turn up'
I'd like to know which Liverpool turn up.

Silverware would be nice.
I don't give a shit about CL football. The premier league money dwarfs the riches of the CL. Yes we could perhaps attract better players, but if you are prepared to pay top dollar wages, they will come anyway given that we have Klopp and players (& agents) are mostly greedy fuckers.
So let's get above Southampton, West Ham & Leceister. Smash teams down the bottom of the league home and away. And compete with the moneyballs and established front runners.
Do all that, and when we re-open this for the 17/18 season, then I'll be spouting on about world domination.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
Considering the main links now seem to be zielinski and chilwell I'm pretty worried we won't be anywhere near top 4.

Our two main weaknesses was a playmaker/DM and left back. We'll have failed to improve those two areas.

Tut tut how dare you suggest our main weakness was not the support to Sturridge which we addressed with the addition of Mane. We have a great playmaker in Henderson as much prefer him sitting deep supplying the passes versus the player who use to surge in and support Sturridge. Plus once we add Chillwell all our left back issues are resolved.  :hally

I agree with you mate as obviously tongue in cheek reply and really hope more major game changers will be attracted to the Klopp Project at Liverpool. If Klopp cant bring them here without a CL carrot no one will.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 09:42:45 am by fowlermagic »
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Seeing as the transfer window is not giving us much to shout about at the moment I thought I'd start a similar thread to my last one, as it was very interesting to hear everyone's different outlooks.

Same premise as last seasons thread.

What are you expectations for the coming season?
What would make it a good season for the club?
Is a trophy realistic? Is top 4 realistic?
Will no Europa League be a blessing or a void?

For me I think a trophy is a must. I don't care which one, just something. 10 years with 1 league cup to show for it is very very poor considering the players and managers we've had since the 2006 FA Cup win. So in my view, winning something is what Liverpool FC need to do this coming season. Some will say top 4 instead and so I'm interested to hear what the consensus is!

What do you think?

League Title.. while scoring 259 goals.. with Player of the Year, Young player of the year, Football writers player of the year, Manager of the year, 9 Manager and player of the month awards.. Fa Cup and League Cup for good measure.. without a single injury to any players and at least 5 youngsters pushing really hard for a place in the first team after taking the league by storm.. Anything else and it would be considered a failure and we should sack the manager, drive out the owners and push for fan ownership. There i said it.. :wave 
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
Top four minimum. Never mind about the potential competitiveness this year. We have no Europe and in my opinion that means no excuses for getting top 4.

Hopefully we are able to go further in the FA Cup and maybe even win it, we should have the squad to compete in all the competitions to a good level.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
Top 4 and a cup win would do nicely. Top 4 will be hugely competitive this season with maybe 8 teams with a good chance and plenty of finances.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?

So, next year, for me, will be an exercise in patience and faith in the process. And I'll probably have to keep reminding myself of that  ;)

Onward & upward.

I agree with this for the most part.

But I don't think if he moves on and we have not won the league by then we will have nowhere to go. We could be finishing 2nd/3rd  for consecutive seasons and do well in Europe so we're able to attract another top manager to get us over the line for example....

I do think he needs a while with us though, and I actually do think he will get us a title. Time, support and a bit of luck and this could be the start of something....

But yes....his position should be absolutely secure at this time next year no matter what happens in the season
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
No managers position is secure as you only have to look at recent history to see that. Brendan was gone even though he signed a new long term contract 12 months prior, The Chosen One sacked months after a title win...the list is endless as only a handful of managers in recent decades has had a secure position at a club. Of course I don't think Klopp will be sacked if we finish Top 6, even Top 10 as the man is an obvious genius at what he does and deserves several seasons to fulfill his objectives here but patience is a limited characteristic of any club owner these days it seems. If Jurgen by some unfathomable reason oversaw one of our worse seasons ever I bet the man's position would be under serious review as the fans are just as fickle as any owner. Personally if by some silly chance we did struggle this season then I would be reviewing our recruiting / financial support to Klopp & various other possible causes to any team issues ten times quicker than his managerial issues. That premise is putting any cart before the horse as Klopp is really starting his first full season with us and I just hope he can utilize what he saw in the squad since he joined us to his advantage. There is huge cracks in the side that were papered over somewhat in our Cup runs but obvious to all in our league form.

Online Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
This.

Top 4.

Obviously a trophy would be fantastic, but top 4 is what will determine if the season's a success or not.

Without EL/CL to worry about, and with one of Europe's best at the managerial helm - If we don't make top 4 this season, it will undoubtedly be an underachievement.
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline MutterMerkel

• Main Stander
A lot depends on how strong Leicester and Tottenham are going to be this season. Last season, they made the top spots seem very crowded by performing so far above themselves. We all know that with Conte at Chelsea, Pep at City, and Mourinho at United that those three clubs will be considerably stronger than they were and will expect to be in the league's top three. Arsenal will be Arsenal.  When you consider Liverpool and West Ham, you've got a top 8 that's too close to call.

Klopp has his work cut out. The good news is that the league is so competitive now that everybody's going to drop points. I expect the league campaign to be a slugfest from start to finish.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
More consistency and less idiocy on the pitch would do me nicely.

Think it'd be mad to say "anything less than x is a failure" given that we have one of the worlds best managers at the helm. It's not like we'd sack him if we finish fifth so as long as there is a steady improvement, good signs for the future and Jurgen Klopp is still our manager then i'm happy.

What I would like to see us do is win some silverware, it's been far too long.

Offline SteveZissou

• "Anyone who knows the game..." exactly what game is a mystery. Underwater Bell. The Life A-Twat-Ic. Thinks "irony" means "like metal". Shite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • you might be on B Squad, but ur the B squad leader
This is simple. Many have forgotten. Many post excuses and list reasons why we should fail. There's only one objective and that is to win the league. Second place is nowhere. The supporters, the players, the management and owners must all have this one objective. Always.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:02:55 pm by SteveZissou »
Following Liverpool since the mid 80s.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
There's only one objective and that is to win the league. Second place is nowhere. The supporters, the players, the management and owners must all have this one objective.

About time all involved believed this to be achievable. Too many years of players and fans accepting mediocrity. I believe all managers, except Hodgson, have believed we can win the league.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
No managers position is secure as you only have to look at recent history to see that. Brendan was gone even though he signed a new long term contract 12 months prior, The Chosen One sacked months after a title win...the list is endless as only a handful of managers in recent decades has had a secure position at a club. Of course I don't think Klopp will be sacked if we finish Top 6, even Top 10 as the man is an obvious genius at what he does and deserves several seasons to fulfill his objectives here but patience is a limited characteristic of any club owner these days it seems. If Jurgen by some unfathomable reason oversaw one of our worse seasons ever I bet the man's position would be under serious review as the fans are just as fickle as any owner. Personally if by some silly chance we did struggle this season then I would be reviewing our recruiting / financial support to Klopp & various other possible causes to any team issues ten times quicker than his managerial issues. That premise is putting any cart before the horse as Klopp is really starting his first full season with us and I just hope he can utilize what he saw in the squad since he joined us to his advantage. There is huge cracks in the side that were papered over somewhat in our Cup runs but obvious to all in our league form.

maybe a wrong choice of words on my part.

I haven't entertained the thought of him doing any worse (purely in terms of league position) next season than the season just gone. No manager is safe anywhere, just like no player is loyal to a club anymore. That is true.

I just take it as a given that we will improve this year, with the time between games and tweaks he's able to make to the squad.....it's just a matter of by how much. And what I want is time to be on his side so even though winning the league is always the goal we just need to stick with it
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Kop 81

• Spineless.
  • Kopite
  • We've got KLOPP!

Bloody hell mate it's only June!  Let's wait until at least August before writing the season off.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
maybe a wrong choice of words on my part.

I haven't entertained the thought of him doing any worse (purely in terms of league position) next season than the season just gone. No manager is safe anywhere, just like no player is loyal to a club anymore. That is true.

I just take it as a given that we will improve this year, with the time between games and tweaks he's able to make to the squad.....it's just a matter of by how much. And what I want is time to be on his side so even though winning the league is always the goal we just need to stick with it

I hope its a given ;) but I do know Klopp wont leave any stone unturned to give us the best chance to improve. I don't know the actual points per game improvement he made on the squad between Oct - May as the usual bounce you get from a new manager never really appeared in the league performances. To get to the Europa Final was outstanding as it showed on our day we could perform but the bread n butter performances in the league were average at best. That's one of the primary reasons my expectations are low for next season as I honestly think our spine needs a serious overhaul. None of our CMs would feature regularly in a Top 4 side based on their 2015/16 form, likewise with defence and even the attack would need to buck their ideas up. A title run surely is 2 or 3 season's away but miracles do happen as Leicester have set the bar by reaching for the sky. Our excuses for lack of results sure holds no water when you see what Vardy & Co have done and you do have to wonder what 100k a week wages get you these days when "lesser" players at 1/5th the salary can shame our lads with their effort & team commitment. 

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
Vardy and co beat all the so called lesser teams while taking points wherever they could off the top teams.

If we want to do well, we should be using the same strategy. We showed that we can hold our own against the top teams, its against teams like Newcastle, Norwich, Sunderland, that we failed to beat consistently, which is why are are 8th. Everyone else can beat these teams without megastars, so how come we have so much trouble?

I still think that once Klopp manages to suss all these teams out, we can emulate Leicester last season or at the very least, be in the running. Maybe not next season, but eventually he will.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:38:12 pm by Mr_Shane »

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, Ądale!
Good season? Top 4.

Great season? Top 4 and a trophy.

Offline Ken Doral

• Anny Roader
We finished 6 points off top four this past year. That doesn't even seem that bad considering the disastrous start and manager change, the injury bug through winter, and pretty much mailing in the league toward the end of the year in pursuit of the Europa League.

This year we should be expecting top four. In terms of measuring Klopp's project in the second season it's most important to see a massive step forward in performance no matter what ultimately comes to it, but such a leap should put Liverpool in that top four mix. In terms of fitness the club is going to be trained in a full preseason in methods that will prepare the group for playing in Klopp's system over an entire year. The core of the squad is mostly the same, it's a settled group. We're now talking mastery of the system rather than learning it on the fly. With no Europe, the amount of rest and ability to prepare on specific opponents has increased significantly. That's important and is a clear advantage over any other rivals save Chelsea.

But top four is about scoring goals. How healthy can Sturridge be over a full season (he was still 1-in-2 roughly post injury last year)? Is Origi going to carry pre-injury form into the start of next season? Does a more settled Firmino add to his tally? How much of an impact does Mane have in year one, both his own goal contributions and how his system fit opens things up for everyone else? And with more time on the training ground for set piece work, can Joel Matip be to this group what Skrtel was in 13-14?

I feel good. We've got Jurgen Klopp. Let him do his thing. Sit back and enjoy.