Author Topic: Joe Allen  (Read 109393 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: The welsh Pirlo.
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 07:21:08 am »
I don't understand why Klopp doesn't play him more. Can and Henderson could use some rest. He's shorter than Can, but they are both pretty useless in aerials anyway.

I get the feeling that Allen will be sold to make space for a new player.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 07:43:50 am »
Apparently his contract is until 2017.

If he keeps this up..even if hes sold, he would still fetch a good price. He is still only 25-26.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2016, 07:57:29 am »
Apparently his contract is until 2017.

If he keeps this up..even if hes sold, he would still fetch a good price. He is still only 25-26.
Yes, maybe that's the problem. Henderson is better. Can is younger, bigger and has more potential to improve. Lucas offers something different. Allen could be sacrificed. Plus, if we get a new expensive midfielder Allen would probably not even make the bench. He's too good for that.

Offline greg9r

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
Re: The welsh Xavi.
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2016, 08:03:05 am »
Got to start instead of Can, deserves it.

Would like to see Joe start ahead of Can on Saturday. Think Can needs a break, and he has played 120min yesterday.. So guess it would be a good time now!

And this Penalty  8) NO ALLEN, NO PARTY!

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:43 am »
I don't understand why Klopp doesn't play him more. Can and Henderson could use some rest. He's shorter than Can, but they are both pretty useless in aerials anyway.

With Grujic already signed for next season I fully expect Allen to be on his way in the summer as he doesn't have the athleticism Klopp looks for in a midfielder.

That said, he is here at the moment and in my opinion is being underused. Can is looking tired and out of form while Lucas struggles with two games every three days. The teams performances have looked tired and starting Allen and Smith more often could freshen things up a bit. 
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2016, 09:16:17 am »
His performances when called upon should earn him more game time. It would give Can and Henderson some rest.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline RedEire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2016, 09:20:19 am »
He has had a big impact in 3 of our last 5matches with an assist, goal and important last penalty, he deserves to get a fair chance in the starting 11, can is out of form and erratic with possession at the moment, where as when Joe has come on he really has got us going again. Hopefully he's given a fair shot before the talk of moving him on in the summer.
Having Welbeck try and mark Pirlo is ridiculous. It's like trying to get a golden retriever to stop a tennis ball machine.Because one is a machine designed for a very specific purpose that it is peerless at, and the other is a fucking dog.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2016, 09:23:23 am »
I think he's more than earned a couple of starts. Our midfield was shambolic yesterday until he came on. Can, Henderson and Milner could hardly pass in a straight line and always seemed to be miles away from eachother, and Lucas was having genuine trouble just keeping his footing until he moved to centre back and played quite well. Allen is a very tidy player who can keep some control and some possession, something I don't think any of our other midfielders are capable of, or at least haven't show that they are capable of it over the last few weeks/months.

Can needs some time out of the team IMO, there's a player in there but he's not yet at the level. What we lack in there is a bit of intelligence.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2016, 09:42:56 am »
There will be lot of tired players against West ham so I'd think he'd start then

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:46 am »
henderson's recent form has been terrible and Can's even worse....if he doesnt get game time now he never will
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Adam_LFC

• Boring.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2016, 10:21:04 am »
I say we enforce a strict beard policy on all at the club. It seems to kick everyone's game up a few notches.

Offline jwill2127

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp is the man
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:20 am »
henderson's recent form has been terrible and Can's even worse....if he doesnt get game time now he never will

Correct: Not an Allen fan but Can and hendo are doing nothing at the moment.
Our support since 2005 is f@@@@@ @@@@

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2016, 11:29:21 am »
Don't know why Klopp hasn't given him more chances. He's earned them. Height alone (as a reason) doesn't seem really convincing. We concede anyway.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2016, 02:30:25 pm »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2016, 02:46:50 pm »
Always liked him

Just another case of modern fans expecting him to be something he's not

He's tidy and hard working
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:39 pm »
Don't know why Klopp hasn't given him more chances. He's earned them. Height alone (as a reason) doesn't seem really convincing. We concede anyway.

I surmise it's probably due more to durability and not changing what works. On the one hand, I don't think Allen can put the same mileage on his legs as Can and Henderson. His injury record doesn't suggest he can play 90 minutes every three to five days irrespective of form. On the other hand, however, I don't think Henderson or Can are good impact subs. Allen seems more capable of making an immediate impact in a short time than Can or Henderson. In an ideal world, I think Allen would start given his recent contributions, but I reckon he has the most value to the team playing as a sub right now. It's not quite fair, but he might just win us a trophy!

Offline Miklagard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2016, 02:48:49 pm »
I always hear how people mock the 15m we paid for him, for me he is worth it. I love him because people are idiots in the way they behave towards him. They do not understand how good he is. I think he wont fit us going forward tho, but thats cos of the style i think we will have. He is too small.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 02:52:11 pm by Miklagard »

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2016, 02:55:48 pm »
Always liked him

What are modern fans expecting him to be?

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2016, 02:59:31 pm »
I surmise it's probably due more to durability and not changing what works.

I guess our grievance would be that it hasn't been particularly working. We've had some great performances but they've been surrounded by average or poor ones. I'd agree that Allen is worth more as a sub if I did think it was working, but right now, I think we need his composure in midfield the whole 90 minutes.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2016, 03:15:58 pm »
What are modern fans expecting him to be?

he dribbles the whole opposition team and score at least 10 every game

Welsh Pirlo is boss....we'll probably sell him or let him go on a free and buy some fancy name player than cannot do half what Joe does
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2016, 03:25:13 pm »
Always rated him, he stepped his game up even more now. Sprayed some risky long ball passes when he came on and they all came off. What a penalty as well. Criminal that he isn't used more.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2016, 03:30:10 pm »
Always rated him

Same. Think his range of passing is not appreciated because he almost always retains possession by making the easy pass. He had a couple 30 yard passes yesterday that were quite lovely.

Like many other people have said though, I agree that he might not be what klopp is looking for as a starting midfield. It's weird, but can we have a super-sub midfield? That title is usually saved for strikers (dzeko, hernandez, etc.,)

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2016, 03:32:10 pm »
He isn't good enough.

We've had these crushes on players over the years, and they're what have held us back. We think too much with our heart. We like an underdog.

We need better than Joe Allen, as a starter. He just isn't good enough to take us where we want to go. Can and Henderson haven't been up to much lately, and he still can't get into the team, despite going through his purple patch.

Also, our midfield in general is a long way off what it needs to be, so of course he's going to look less out of his depth when he does perform.

Decent squad player, but not anything more.

Offline jonnyr

• Anny Roader
  • We had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2016, 03:43:24 pm »

I think Klopp has had a thing for Emre, such a hyped player in Germany. But still so young. He wants to give him a shot and see how he develops. But he also had to come in mid-season and learn the rest of the squad. I'm sure he's been strongly considering giving players like Joe more of a run-out... it's tricky.

But yeah, spot on with both Hendo and Can being useless in aerials (bizarre to me that Can is so poor in this aspect of the game still). And then you see the sly Lucas either nipping in and winning these headers cleanly, or at least getting physical and cleverly putting a bigger man way off.

For now this is what we have. There will be some rotation here and there, Klopp will try some things depending on form and fitness. But won't be until summer window when we start seeing his ideas take ship in midfield, depending on what kind of players we try to bring in.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2016, 04:45:35 pm »
He isn't good enough.

Decent squad player

Pick one. We actually do need decent squad players.
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2016, 04:51:23 pm »
Always liked him

And in his recent appearances has added goals, which was always something held against him - lack of end product. For me should start at the weekend, has earned it and is much more rested than others in the same spot.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Redman0151

• Stills and Nash Warloch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2016, 04:55:05 pm »
He deserves a start on current form, but long term i'm not sure where his future is. Next season we'll have Henderson, Milner, Can, Grujic, Lucas who all play CM. And I still have hopes the club will go big on a top CM at some point soon
"I would say we certainly have the resources to compete with anybody in football." Tom Werner 12/04/2012

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 05:01:10 pm »
Pick one. We actually do need decent squad players.

I'm clearly talking about as a starter. You knew that though because I actually said it in the post.

Online Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 05:03:35 pm »
I'm clearly talking about as a starter. You knew that though because I actually said it in the post.
So a squad player is someone who doesn't start games? Interesting.

Allen is perfectly capable of starting games to rest the likes of Can, Henderson and Lucas, that those three continue to play regardless of form or fitness is of detriment to the team.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 05:38:25 pm by Funky_Gibbons »
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
He's doing really well at the moment, another big performance on Saturday and he'll surely be set for a run in the team.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 05:45:10 pm »
Not to disrespect BR but this is hilarious  ;D

https://youtu.be/2B7iStKfSqk

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 06:53:42 pm »
I'm confused, Pirlo, Xavi, or Gatusso?
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 07:07:29 pm »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 07:09:49 pm »
He's better than Can and if a manager is not picking a player because of size then that's madness.

Remember reading a quote from Alonso talking English players saying that tackling was their main attribute. He disagreed and said you should keep the ball and if you lose it then it's about positioning.

Can and Henderson do everything in a hurry so nice to have composure.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 07:11:50 pm »

We should only buy players who can look that liverbird level in the eyes.

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2016, 07:15:06 pm »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline lgvkarlos

• Finnished with his shit punnery now.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »
I honestly cannot believe the difference under  Klopp.   Didn't think he was good enough, hats off to the lad proven me wrong recently.
Shows that we have to give players time with Klopp and not write players off to early.
And what a f##king penalty Joe  :wellin

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 07:16:35 pm »
So a squad player is someone who doesn't start games? Interesting.

Offline heylookitsjacob

• 's Cream Crackers
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 08:15:17 pm »

This conversation may be going nowhere. You both think he is an adequate squad player (I think), so there's that.

Hope he gets a well deserved start against west ham.

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:39 pm »
I surmise it's probably due more to durability and not changing what works. On the one hand, I don't think Allen can put the same mileage on his legs as Can and Henderson. His injury record doesn't suggest he can play 90 minutes every three to five days irrespective of form. On the other hand, however, I don't think Henderson or Can are good impact subs. Allen seems more capable of making an immediate impact in a short time than Can or Henderson. In an ideal world, I think Allen would start given his recent contributions, but I reckon he has the most value to the team playing as a sub right now. It's not quite fair, but he might just win us a trophy!
Didn't Allen have some very impressive stats for miles run per game a couple of years ago?

Anyway, he's a decent player. His main issue here has always been that he kept picking up injuries. Like Sakho, he's been a player that was very seldom in form. But I don't understand why he's not used more now. It's not like there wouldn't be any matches left for Can.