Author Topic: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY  (Read 147922 times)

Offline locultom

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
Re: PHILIPPE COUTINHO: THE MAN WHO ESCAPED PURGATORY
« Reply #120 on: March 1, 2016, 10:12:48 pm »
We haven't seen the best of Coutinho since his return and we haven't, in my opinion, made the most of him or found a shape that makes the most of our current squad. Whilst I know this has been visited before, looking at what we have available and the emerging or assumed preferred style of the manager why do people think we haven't seen Coutinho at the tip of a 3 man midfield triangle?

Playing Coutinho here solves some of our midfield issues; moving through the middle third with guile, negating the 'sameness of Milner, Can , Henderson etc., and maximising transitions in this zone. With Coutinho in this area you get the ability to turn and link in tight places, someone who can carry the ball  with skill at pace, get the opposition back 4 back pedalling and our most creative and imaginative player with a wider field of vision and options to choose from. Additionally we create more player options out wide as Lallana, Milner, Ibe, Firmino and Origi can be deployed more effectively from these areas with Coutinho creating from deeper and more centrally than from off the left.

Thoughts?
No-one wants to stay in the Travelodge by choice. It's always a last resort. No-ones thinking, Id love to stay in a room so blandly anonymous that it looks like the burial chamber of the king of an ancient civilisation which valued above all bland anonymity.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #121 on: March 1, 2016, 10:36:44 pm »
We haven't seen the best of Coutinho since his return and we haven't, in my opinion, made the most of him or found a shape that makes the most of our current squad. Whilst I know this has been visited before, looking at what we have available and the emerging or assumed preferred style of the manager why do people think we haven't seen Coutinho at the tip of a 3 man midfield triangle?

Playing Coutinho here solves some of our midfield issues; moving through the middle third with guile, negating the 'sameness of Milner, Can , Henderson etc., and maximising transitions in this zone. With Coutinho in this area you get the ability to turn and link in tight places, someone who can carry the ball  with skill at pace, get the opposition back 4 back pedalling and our most creative and imaginative player with a wider field of vision and options to choose from. Additionally we create more player options out wide as Lallana, Milner, Ibe, Firmino and Origi can be deployed more effectively from these areas with Coutinho creating from deeper and more centrally than from off the left.

Thoughts?

I agree with absolutely everything you say here. Makes so much sense. Have Milner wide left and then one of Origi, Lallana, Ibe, Firmino out wide right. Maybe Klopp doesn't trust any of our centre mids to play as a 2 in a 4-2-3-1?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline brownbear11

• Kopite
  • aht and aboot, Ądale!
« Reply #122 on: March 2, 2016, 12:36:53 am »
I agree with absolutely everything you say here. Makes so much sense. Have Milner wide left and then one of Origi, Lallana, Ibe, Firmino out wide right. Maybe Klopp doesn't trust any of our centre mids to play as a 2 in a 4-2-3-1?

Coutinho can still be effective cutting in from the left. We lose nearly everything good about Firmino by shunting him out there. Would have to be Origi or Ibe, but I think Firmino is more effective than both of those players on song.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #123 on: March 2, 2016, 12:45:53 am »
Coutinho can still be effective cutting in from the left. We lose nearly everything good about Firmino by shunting him out there. Would have to be Origi or Ibe, but I think Firmino is more effective than both of those players on song.

If we're going to prevail with Moreno though would we not be better off with Milner wide left to help more on the defensive side of things? I think having Coutinho out there with Moreno leaves us way too open as neither is likely to see the danger happening.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline carven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #124 on: March 2, 2016, 05:33:43 am »
Bollocks. In a barca team his game would reach a new level. Like with any in his position he relies on people around him making runs. We have been awful at it.

Totally agree with this. <slight hyperbole>Not even Xabi Alonso in his prime will be able to excel in our current team without forward runs.</slight hyperboye> In fact, I will go as far as saying we should be building our team around Coutinho. His hard rate and attitude has been spot on since joining us and it will be difficult for anyone to convince me otherwise.

In terms of actual results though, yes inconsistent, but who has been consistent for us for the past 2 seasons? This is a player who is only 23 years old and could continue to play for us for a very long time. Of course the Barcelona & Real Madrid temptation will always be there. But if it does come to that(interest from La Liga), then he must have been doing a lot right and certainly helping our cause!

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: March 2, 2016, 05:44:31 am »
He's brilliant and surrounded by the mediocre. At least with Sturridge back and Firmino there as well, I think it'll start to improve a bit as their interplay improves. The central midfield is a total creative blackhole at the moment though.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline armchair-fan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: March 2, 2016, 09:07:07 am »
He seems very keen on that Ronaldinho look-one-way-pass-the-other trick over the past few weeks.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: March 2, 2016, 09:45:02 am »
He's brilliant and surrounded by the mediocre. At least with Sturridge back and Firmino there as well, I think it'll start to improve a bit as their interplay improves. The central midfield is a total creative blackhole at the moment though.

He still needs a wide outlet to make room for himself. A winger in addition to those 3 is a must to get best out of him. He struggles like most no.10s when the play is compact.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: March 2, 2016, 09:47:55 am »
I dont get the shouts of having Coutinho in midfield. For a while now he has been getting key goals for us in big games. Not bags of goals, but lots of key ones. We need players like that close to the oppositions box as much as possible.

For me its like those shouts of when people wanted Suarez to play off the wing so we could get Borini up front. Yes, they all could probably do a very good job and are used to those positions. But whilst they score important goals, they need to be up top in the final third.

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: March 2, 2016, 10:20:45 am »
He seems very keen on that Ronaldinho look-one-way-pass-the-other trick over the past few weeks.

That really was sensational.

He has all the ability in the world.

We just need to harness it on a more regular basis.

Next season will be very interesting given there's likely changes to be made in the midfield area over the summer.

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #130 on: March 2, 2016, 11:51:24 am »
He'll look great once Sturridge is fit and Firmino has been here a while.

He'll look great once Sturridge is fitter and Firmino has been here a while longer.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #131 on: March 2, 2016, 11:58:51 am »
He'll look great once Sturridge is fitter and Firmino has been here a while longer.
When we put all three of them closer together and connect our CM with them.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #132 on: March 2, 2016, 12:32:00 pm »
That really was sensational.

Would've been sensational had he actually found Clyne with it, but he didn't.  No point using tricks like that if nothing comes of them.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #133 on: March 2, 2016, 12:39:02 pm »
Would've been sensational had he actually found Clyne with it, but he didn't.  No point using tricks like that if nothing comes of them.

I'd rather he used them, tried and failed than never use them

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #134 on: March 2, 2016, 12:40:52 pm »

Of course there is a point to them, as if he never tries then they never come off.

You can't, and shouldn't, expect 100% success rate in football, be it a simple 5 yard pass, a trick like that, or a shot at goal. It's unrealistic.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #135 on: March 2, 2016, 12:46:16 pm »
I actually think his passing is overrated on RAWK.  If he's got someone like Sturridge running into yards of space, he can put him in, but when it's tighter like it was for that particular pass, he often under or overhits them.  For a player of his talent, that's not actually that difficult a pass once he's seen it and might've come off had he not thrown an unnecessary trick in on top.  Clyne was in regardless.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #136 on: March 2, 2016, 01:44:49 pm »
He'll look great once Sturridge is fit and Firmino has been here a while.

Someone posted a couple of days ago 'name me a better front three in the league' than these three. Slightly over the top, but i see the point he was trying to make.

I think the potential is there, and barring any injuries, when they 'click' they could be a force to be reconed with. Firmino will greatly improve next season and hopefully Danny can put his injuries behind him.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: March 2, 2016, 06:46:00 pm »

With the total lack of flair in our midfield I applaud every no look pass and penenka. The lad should be encouraged to carry on .... God if we frown on a Brazilian playmaker trying the outrageous we are in a mess. Im sure Roy Hodgson would share your view though  ;)

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #138 on: March 2, 2016, 07:01:35 pm »
I actually think his passing is overrated on RAWK.  If he's got someone like Sturridge running into yards of space, he can put him in, but when it's tighter like it was for that particular pass, he often under or overhits them.  For a player of his talent, that's not actually that difficult a pass once he's seen it and might've come off had he not thrown an unnecessary trick in on top.  Clyne was in regardless.

I agree to an extent. I think Coutinho is better at medium to long passes than short passes. That's why he needs a striker that runs the channels and stretches play. 

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 3, 2016, 01:27:03 am »
Fucking love him.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 3, 2016, 01:31:01 am »
I think we'll get one more year out of him. Then Ł50m+ No way barca get a third bargain after suarez and mascherano.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #141 on: April 3, 2016, 01:32:02 am »
This lad is magical. I think it was Serbian who called him the most underrated player in Europe and he's absolutely right. He's fucking dynamite.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 3, 2016, 02:08:16 am »
Barca are already after him with Suarez and Neymar tapping him up. They know his quality. He's our best player and has been for two years now.

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #143 on: April 3, 2016, 02:11:05 am »
Barca are already after him with Suarez and Neymar tapping him up. They know his quality. He's our best player and has been for two years now.

He's the ultimate big game player. It's almost as if he can't be arsed with the smaller teams.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 3, 2016, 02:12:56 am »

Exactly. I am afraid they will go after him very hard this summer. Especially given that whoever they get from us never disappointed under Barca shirt.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: April 3, 2016, 02:39:55 am »
He's the ultimate big game player. It's almost as if he can't be arsed with the smaller teams.

He's started to do well against them too. Just need a bit more cutting edge up front against the smaller teams as they tend to drop deeper, but that's more a case of requiring the right forwards. Coutinho is utterly brilliant though. The skill he exhibits on the ball is sublime.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 3, 2016, 02:41:47 am »
I don't see where he would play in Barca's side, he certainly wouldn't start. But he's been great this year

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #147 on: April 3, 2016, 04:10:11 am »
Exactly. I am afraid they will go after him very hard this summer. Especially given that whoever they get from us never disappointed under Barca shirt.

Don't know where he'd play in that team. But  for once if they did come in for him we'd be in the drivers in terms of dealings.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: April 3, 2016, 04:20:09 am »
I don't see where he would play in Barca's side, he certainly wouldn't start. But he's been great this year
Iniesta is 32 in May, maybe he's seen as Iniesta's long term replacement.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: April 3, 2016, 04:23:40 am »
Plays football like I would want to in an ideal world.*

*Except the dive. That was embarrassing.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Knickers

• Dreams about being fisted by Thiago, followed by a good bone rattling.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #150 on: April 3, 2016, 04:32:12 am »
It's strange how I see his dive as nowhere near as sinful as those of players like Ashley Young. Fandom is a wonderful thing.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: April 3, 2016, 04:33:53 am »

No offence, but how do you know they're tapping him up?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: April 3, 2016, 04:35:55 am »
Iniesta is 32 in May, maybe he's seen as Iniesta's long term replacement.

How so? Coutinho can't boss the midfield or do anything in that capacity, he isn't Iniesta's replacement.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: April 3, 2016, 05:02:49 am »
No offence, but how do you know they're tapping him up?

No offence taken. But there has been a series of public comments from the likes of Suarez and Neymar about how Coutinho has the skill and the talent to play for Barcelona for a while.

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #154 on: April 3, 2016, 05:05:37 am »
No offence taken. But there has been a series of public comments from the likes of Suarez and Neymar about how Coutinho has the skill and the talent to play for Barcelona for a while.

Ronaldinho did the same I believe.
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Mike Basset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #155 on: April 3, 2016, 09:18:58 am »
Too good for us at the moment. Hopefully Klopp is able to convince him that things will get better for us and bring in some players who are at least fit to lace this guys boots.

Offline JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: April 3, 2016, 09:40:21 am »

He'll go to Barca sooner or later. Get over it. Let's just fucking make sure we have a top replacement ready to fill his shoes.
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #157 on: April 3, 2016, 09:44:55 am »
Seriously, wind it fucking in with this Barcelona talk. If he ever goes there one day so be it. Until then just enjoy the little fecker playing for us while he is still ours.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: April 3, 2016, 10:22:22 am »
How so? Coutinho can't boss the midfield or do anything in that capacity, he isn't Iniesta's replacement.
Can't do anything in that capacity? I happen to think Coutinho's best position is in midfield. The season we came 2nd and discovered the diamond we had Sturridge and Suarez up front, Sterling at the tip of the diamond and Coutinho employed deeper in midfield and he was absolutely superb in that position.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: April 3, 2016, 10:27:02 am »
End of the day if Barca come calling and he goes then so be it. It's quite clear at the moment that he's by far superior in terms of quality compared to the rest of the squad.

Also if they come in and offer massive money for him, then it gives Klopp the chance to build what he wants for Liverpool. Also whereas with our previous manager the money used was squandered, i've got more faith in Klopp using it more wisely and bringing in the type of player to really improve the team. He's had experience in doing this as well, losing his star players at Dortmund to Bayern Munich.

However if we can keep hold of him, and i think Jurgen has that ability and nous to convince him to stay, then i think we as a team will definitely be a force to be reckoned with. I also believe we as a club need to start treating him more like the star name, the main man rather then a bystander because he is quite clearly the main man when it comes to Liverpool.

P.s his dive yesterday was embarrassing, he should have nutmegged the spurs defender twice over and made him fall over rather then dive...