Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775101 times)

Offline DanA

• misses the Eurovision Glory Days.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Joseph Gomez
« Reply #880 on: July 17, 2016, 02:21:32 am »
It's not harsh, it's scientific fact

But it's not. I did a lot of research on this a while back and read studies that found 79% of NFL players returned to play NFL and that NFL team doctors expected 90-100% of athletes will return provided they aren't borderline talents.

There is a huge difference between professional and amateur, there is a huge difference between 18 y.o and 27 y.o and there is a huge difference between someone who got their knee surgery in 1998 vs 2016.
Quote from: hinesy
He hadn't played as if he was on fire, more the slight breeze cutting across New Brighton on a summer's day than El Nino, the force of nature.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Joseph Gomez
« Reply #881 on: July 17, 2016, 02:46:30 am »

But it's not. I did a lot of research on this a while back and read studies that found 79% of NFL players returned to play NFL and that NFL team doctors expected 90-100% of athletes will return provided they aren't borderline talents.

There is a huge difference between professional and amateur, there is a huge difference between 18 y.o and 27 y.o and there is a huge difference between someone who got their knee surgery in 1998 vs 2016.

To be fair what does returning to the NFL actually mean. The question has to be can Gomez return to the same level that he was before. Even if he does he will of lost a year of development.

An ACL is a crushing blow. Let's hope Gomez disproves the reality of suffering such an injury but the odds are against him.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #882 on: July 21, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
Gomez and Sakho both on plane to US.

Funny - "nursing achilles injury" sounds so much better than "recovering from long-term ACL" - go JoMez!! (And Mama)
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #883 on: July 21, 2016, 04:12:53 pm »
Jomez is on the US tour.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #884 on: July 21, 2016, 04:14:39 pm »
If he can actually get up and running around a month into the season, then Flanagan on loan makes more sense now.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #885 on: July 21, 2016, 04:27:14 pm »
Jomez is on the US tour.

Best of luck to the lad. He deserves better luck than he has had (which I suppose you could say about anyone who gets injured, but still).
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #886 on: July 21, 2016, 04:39:52 pm »
If he can actually get up and running around a month into the season, then Flanagan on loan makes more sense now.

Last thing he needs is minutes at fullback.

Offline King Klopp.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Doubter To Believer.
  • Super Title: And back to Doubter
« Reply #887 on: July 21, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »
Still gutted at these injuries to be honest. He has so much potential. Could be our Stones - except good at defending - in the sense of being a young lad bought for under Ł5m and 2/3 years later he's valued at Ł35m+

Really hopeful of he could become and so hope the injuries are behind him. Personally thinking this season is just about getting fit and staying fit. Play maybe 25ish games and then next season when fully fit he makes a play for the starting CB role.

Pace, strength, composure, height. Could be the perfect CB. Sort of similar to Jerome Boateng.
Believe

Offline Nutella

• Main Stander
« Reply #888 on: July 22, 2016, 08:14:55 am »
Delighted to see him on tour with the rest of the lads. Hopefully this is the last injury problem he has and goes on to have a memorable career with us.
Premier League

Premier League winners:Manchester City

Champions League qualification: 2nd-4th Manchester United, Arsenal, Spurs

Europa League qualification: 5th-6th Chelsea, Liverpool

Premier League relegated teams: 18th-20th West Brom, Burnley, Hull  :wave

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #889 on: July 22, 2016, 09:08:50 am »
Jomez is on the US tour.

What's up with them traveling with full football socks ?

Offline DeLeiva

• StanDan
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA -
« Reply #890 on: July 22, 2016, 09:09:17 am »

Serious?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #891 on: July 22, 2016, 09:50:37 am »

Surely he will take longer than that? Dunno, one for WelshRed that question to provide maybe some insight.

Would it not take a good 2 or 3 months of solid training? He hasn't even returned to full contact training yet.

Offline Chig

• Legacy Fan
  • YNWA!
« Reply #892 on: July 22, 2016, 11:11:47 am »

Is compression socks: helps with recovery (control swelling in muscles) and to prevent DVT.
KD7 SG8 RF9 JB10

Offline Mizerooskie

• Kopite
« Reply #893 on: July 22, 2016, 12:56:18 pm »
To be fair what does returning to the NFL actually mean. The question has to be can Gomez return to the same level that he was before. Even if he does he will of lost a year of development.

An ACL is a crushing blow. Let's hope Gomez disproves the reality of suffering such an injury but the odds are against him.
These are merely anectdotal, but Adrian Peterson returned the season after tearing his ACL to lead the NFL in rushing.  Todd Gurley tore his ACL during his final NFL season and played in the NFL the following season, and was considered one of the best running backs in the NFL that season.  I struggle to think of a role in professional sport that is more violent on the knees than NFL running back, so Joe is far from doomed.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #894 on: July 22, 2016, 01:10:46 pm »
Jomez is on the US tour.

off the tarmac straight on to the pitch with those socks...

hope he plays some part in the tour if the medical team feels he is ready enough.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #895 on: July 22, 2016, 03:41:40 pm »
off the tarmac straight on to the pitch with those socks...

hope he plays some part in the tour if the medical team feels he is ready enough.

He isnt even in contact training yet.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #896 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:44 pm »
By my reckoning his 9 months post-surgery passed yesterday. He should be able to start contact training once his achilles has settled down. I reckon 6-8 weeks is a conservative estimate to get him back playing regularly

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #897 on: July 22, 2016, 06:41:49 pm »
 ;D
Is compression socks: helps with recovery (control swelling in muscles) and to prevent DVT.

;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #898 on: July 22, 2016, 08:46:18 pm »
By my reckoning his 9 months post-surgery passed yesterday. He should be able to start contact training once his achilles has settled down. I reckon 6-8 weeks is a conservative estimate to get him back playing regularly
What kind of things would they be doing to treat his achillies issue?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #899 on: July 22, 2016, 08:47:13 pm »

Shrugs and bicep curls?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: July 22, 2016, 08:57:13 pm »
Shrugs and bicep curls?
For his ankle?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #901 on: July 22, 2016, 09:06:57 pm »
For his ankle?

Hmm lack of smiley face at play here. Haha

Offline MrRaptorTurtle

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #902 on: July 22, 2016, 09:22:40 pm »
Full kit wankers

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #903 on: July 22, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »

Just basics but there'd be a lot of eccentric exercises (activating the muscle whilst it is getting longer rather than it's normal mechanism of shortening when contracting), reducing the load through the tendon, relative rest to allow healing alongside adjunctive therapies such as ultrasound, which some people feel can encourage collagen growth to help repair the tendon.  There's a few other things out there that can be used and I'm sure the staff at the club are well up to date with current evidence.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #904 on: July 22, 2016, 10:01:40 pm »

Could be compression socks for a long-haul flight

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #905 on: July 22, 2016, 10:15:51 pm »
Just basics but there'd be a lot of eccentric exercises (activating the muscle whilst it is getting longer rather than it's normal mechanism of shortening when contracting), reducing the load through the tendon, relative rest to allow healing alongside adjunctive therapies such as ultrasound, which some people feel can encourage collagen growth to help repair the tendon.  There's a few other things out there that can be used and I'm sure the staff at the club are well up to date with current evidence.
I'm only asking because I get pain in my Achilles after exercise ;D

I'm trying to leech a free treatment plan ....

Successfully avoiding any exercise has worked quite well for the last 15 years though
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #906 on: July 22, 2016, 10:19:39 pm »
I'll give you basics, I'll not give you a treatment plan ;D

Offline Notorious IT

• Gilt complex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Alcoholic
« Reply #907 on: September 2, 2016, 10:20:44 am »
Any idea the latest on when Joe is due back to action?

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #909 on: October 14, 2016, 12:46:40 pm »
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/joe-gomez-back-liverpool-training-12024435

He's back.

Great touch by the team to applaud him. It must have been incredibly hard for him, after his flying start under Rodgers. I hope we'll see him soon (Christmas?) in action!
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline BritishGas

• loved Heinz Baked Beans
  • Main Stander
« Reply #910 on: October 14, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »
Every now and again I remember Joe Gomez exists and I realise all is good in the world

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #911 on: October 14, 2016, 02:11:34 pm »
Klopp said in todays presser a long way to go yet but happy to have him back. Talked about the great moment when the lads applauded Joe back.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #912 on: October 14, 2016, 03:12:47 pm »
Will be great to have him back, he's so comfortable with the ball for a centre back.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: October 14, 2016, 03:33:23 pm »
Balls of an injury at a developmental stage of his career. It'll be a slow road back. We'll do well to see him start this season for us I'd say. May even need a loan out for games.  Good to see him back though.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #914 on: October 14, 2016, 03:40:02 pm »
hope his recovery goes well.....stock has gone up since he's been out and im sure he's desperate to be playing again but just needs to make sure he's good to go when called upon.

nice touch on the applause for him
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #915 on: October 14, 2016, 03:42:19 pm »
We'll do well to see him start this season for us I'd say.

There are 7 months of the season left, of course we'll see him make a start this season - well fitness wise he'll be able to anyway, assuming he shows the ability he was before the injury.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #916 on: October 14, 2016, 03:46:39 pm »
hope his recovery goes well.....stock has gone up since he's been out and im sure he's desperate to be playing again but just needs to make sure he's good to go when called upon.

nice touch on the applause for him

Up? Have to disagree there. His stock seems pretty low now, after his very promising start in 2015.

I really hope the ACL tear didn't affect his athleticism and speed too much.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #917 on: October 14, 2016, 04:57:05 pm »
Up? Have to disagree there. His stock seems pretty low now, after his very promising start in 2015.

I really hope the ACL tear didn't affect his athleticism and speed too much.

fair enough. I just hear a lot waiting/wishing for him to return.....for a kid with a handful of games I reckon he's done well to even be remembered! (in a nice way) Let alone have anything expected of him

I'm very interested to see how he does under Klopp tho must say
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 04:58:50 pm by redk84 »
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #918 on: October 15, 2016, 04:28:46 pm »
There are 7 months of the season left, of course we'll see him make a start this season - well fitness wise he'll be able to anyway, assuming he shows the ability he was before the injury.

Hope so but there's a few ifs and buts.  I'm just thinking a loan move in January would be good for him. Having missed so much football at a crucial stage of his career, it's no use warming the bench.

Offline ZeusMetallica

• Kopite
« Reply #919 on: October 15, 2016, 05:15:25 pm »
Hope so but there's a few ifs and buts.  I'm just thinking a loan move in January would be good for him. Having missed so much football at a crucial stage of his career, it's no use warming the bench.

I agree. Give him a Klopp pre-season now, then let him train with the team until then and when the window reopens, send him to a good club to get minutes under his belt.