Author Topic: Direct Abuse: A Dark Day for Liverpool FC  (Read 17872 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
Direct Abuse: A Dark Day for Liverpool FC
« on: October 27, 2006, 11:40:02 am »
The one thing Rafa Benítez surely never expected when swapping the political machinations of Valencia for the stable-run Liverpool FC was interference from the board. And as fans, we surely never expected it, either.

It's been one of the worst weeks for criticism of the manager, and up there with the 'crisis' from January 2005, just four months before the Reds won the Champions League. The Daily Mirror quotes an unnamed Liverpool Director, who has done the unthinkable and gone public with his thoughts on Rafa Benítez.

Again, as with Alan Hansen's comments this week, it wouldn't be so bad if the criticisms weren't so wide of the mark. But of course, given the club does its business exclusively behind closed doors, it would still be bad. Very bad.

It's a difficult time at the moment, and there's every chance this outrageous behaviour will help the rest of the club unite behind Rafa. It could prove to be the best thing that happened, particularly if the person in question leaves the board; I'm sorry, but you just don't do such a thing. A club with in-fighting quickly becomes a joke. If you're not pulling together you're falling apart.

What I don't get is that Rafa should know his best team. "Normally, by the time you get to October, you'd expect the manager to know his best team and stick with it but there are no signs of that happening now. I don't think he could tell you what his best team is," runs the quote.

Has this Director actually watched Benítez work since he arrived, or has he been living in an ivory tower? Did he actually see the kind of heavy rotation Rafa used to win two league titles in three years in Spain? When has Rafa ever stuck with the same side, including throughout the excellent season in 2005/06? Was he chiding Rafa for resting players ahead of the Champions League quarters, semis and final in 2005? And is he not watching what Alex Ferguson is doing at Manchester United, who has rotated as heavily as Benítez in the Premiership this season, but somehow managed to escape being tarred with the same brush?

Maybe Rafa doesn't know his best XI, but then again his entire methodology works on the basis of picking the best XI to beat the team in front of him. At times he may have one eye on the next fixture, too. But if anyone thinks he doesn't believe the teams he selects can win games, they have to be insane.

It's the best XI for the circumstances; slow opposition defenders might mean Bellamy instead of Crouch; small ones might mean Crouch instead of Bellamy. And so on. At Valencia Rafa barely used his talisman and the fans' favourite, Pablo Aimar, in the first half of the season. He unleashed him in the second half, and boy did it win dividends.

It's this kind of forward-thinking modern management that Rafa is all about. And the innovators in life are those who look forward, not backwards. Bill Shankly was an innovator. He did things his way. He changed things at Liverpool, updated them.  No doubt it scared a few Directors, and there was no instant success; there was also a seven-year period between league titles. Shankly didn't look to what won the league 20 years earlier, but what would win it this season, or the next.

Maybe it's too late this season to win the title, but we should not be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Benítez has proven his quality, and earned breathing space with it. Does every setback have to be a full scale 'end of the world' disaster?

With so many new players needing time to bed in and find their confidence, and with key players like Carragher, Gerrard (who was also switched about last season), Hyypia and Alonso below par – perhaps due to unrelenting football in the last 24 months – it's never going to be easy to say for sure what the best XI is. In football, that changes with form, injuries and, in Rafa's case, tactical considerations.

This is the modern big-squad age, and the flipside to never rotating, aside from fatigue after January, is that you have ten top-quality disillusioned players who are needed in case of injuries and suspensions, but who are effectively frozen out. That can present its own problems.

With Benítez, while Peter Crouch may feel aggrieved to be rested after a two-goal display, at least the striker knows he'll be back in soon. He knows Rafa rates him. The reward for playing well is to be in the 16 on matchday; that's the motivation. The penalty for not producing, as Robbie Fowler found earlier in the season, is not even a place on the bench. Fowler got his turn again on Wednesday and put in the kind of virtuoso display that will be rewarded, even if it might not be with a start in the very next game. He's back in the frame.

The comments the unnamed Director made about expensive signings also seems insane, seeing as all the expensive dead wood (as well as some good players, lest we forget) was signed by Houllier. Benítez, like any manager, has messed up with some signings, but his mistakes have all been offloaded fairly quickly and without sentiment, and with the exception of Morientes, who cost £6m, all his flops have cost very little. And even Morientes was no £28m Seba Veron.

How can Benítez be paying 'over the odds' for players? Was Xabi Alonso over the odds? Momo Sissoko? Daniel Agger? Luis Garcia (whose goals in 2005 earned the club three times his transfer value) ?

Did Reina look expensive last season, when he kept the most clean sheets, but did so with the joint-highest save percentage in the league? Or does a loss of form mean a player is actually rubbish? Was the fee for Bellamy over the odds, when he'd have cost twice as much but for a clause in his contract? Was Crouch, with 20 goals for Liverpool in the last 11 months (plus 11 for England) and some superb link-up play, too expensive at £7m? And as for Kuyt, it's far too early to tell, but he looks like he'll prove a big success. His stay in England has coincided with his dad's cancer, so he's had a lot to contend with since the summer.

Only days ago Alan Hansen was saying that Liverpool have paid too little for players, claiming the club got 'maybe' players as they didn't pay top dollar. Which is interesting, as the sublime Scot himself cost in the 'maybe' bracket in 1977, precisely four times less than Kenny Dalglish that same summer. If comparing with today's prices, Daniel Agger, who is still younger than Hansen when he arrived at Liverpool, would be a definite 'maybe' player. But without wishing to over-burden him, Agger is the closest we've had to Hansen. He's a thoroughbred.

Paying big guarantees nothing. Around the time the Reds paid £2.3m for Dean Saunders and £2.2m for Nigel Clough, Manchester United paid £1.2m for Eric Cantona. I could go on –– there are examples of bargains, and there are examples of severely overpriced players. Meanwhile, some expensive players are worth the money, and some cheap ones are worthless. It all depends on the individual: is he good enough? And then it's down to how he settles, luck with injuries, etc.

It's 'putting the boot in' week. It follows on from Scott Murray, in a Guardian blog, claiming that Benítez is just a cup winner, like Gérard Houllier, and not a league champion. Rafa's success in Spain is couched with the suggestion that he was regarded as  'lucky', and the need to say such is beyond me. It beggars belief.

I can't for the life of me fathom how taking a club that hadn't won the league for 31 years, being given no money to spend, while having to face the two superpowers of Barcelona and Real Madrid, and then winning the league twice in three years (while still being good enough to simultaneously add a Uefa Cup for good measure) can be considered lucky? Especially when there was a widespread belief that the referees were favouring the big two.

I know it's a different league, but it's precisely this pedigree that marks out Benítez as a winner, and why he has my trust and my faith. Without that success under his belt I'd have more doubts, but he knows what it takes in the long haul. Valencia were written off in those seasons, too, lest we forget.

In England it was an even harder task facing Benítez, as I pointed out in 2004. But who else could have taken Liverpool as far in the past two seasons?

Seriously, who could have done better in the circumstances? Chelsea were even richer than Barcelona and Real Madrid, and at the time Benítez arrived, Liverpool were already a whopping 19 points behind the Blues, who'd also just made the Champions League semi-final. Chelsea had also appointed their own great coach, so closing the gap was a mammoth task, as the Stamford Bridge outfit bought every single player they wanted, and disrupted others, like Liverpool's own Steven Gerrard and Arsenal's Ashley Cole.

Meanwhile, Manchester United have spent massively on players. It doesn't mean guaranteed quality, as I said earlier, but great wealth gives more choice. But since Benítez arrived, they've won the League Cup, compared with the Reds' FA Cup and, um, err, European Cup.

Also, let's not forget something I've pointed out on numerous occasions: Liverpool won 25 of 38 league games last season, which was a higher percentage of wins than in 17 of the 18 title successes. That puts the task facing Rafa into perspective. Despite the poor start, we are actually better placed than a year ago (six points closer to Chelsea), with a far "easier" fixture list remaining. We don't need to go on two great runs as of last season, merely pick up points at a steadier rate and avoid the  dip in form that blighted January-March.

Although there have been other slumps during Rafa's tenure, it's been two great years, followed by two mediocre months this season. If we have no faith, no long-term view, we'll end up the kind of club that switches its manager every three weeks; and we all know how successful such clubs tend to be. Patience can be difficult, but sometimes there's no alternative. It's better to get there in the end, than to keep changing direction only to end up back where you started, or totally lot in the wilderness. You have to have a vision, and stick to it.

The criticism of Benítez has grown ridiculous. This is a slump, and no one should be feeling happy right now. But it's one of the darkest days I can remember in the club's history, where someone important within the club would go to a national tabloid to criticise the club's manager. I've always been proud of the way the club handles its affairs, but if individuals want to start behaving like they're at Newcastle United, then that's the best place for them.

But then again, I wouldn't even wish that on the poor suffering Geordies.

© Paul Tomkins 2006

An Anfield Anthology is available to pre-order from www.paultomkins.com, from where it will remain exclusively available.

Also, The Red Review is available from shops and online stores from November 1st, and signed pre-release copies are still available from www.paultomkins.com, including as part of package deals with my other books.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:16:44 pm by Rushian »

Offline Dick Winters

• Kopite
Re: Direct Abuse: A Dark Day for Liverpool FC
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 11:44:06 am »
Again, I echo your sentiments here Paul. 

THIS IS NOT OUR WAY OF DOING THINGS!!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 11:46:54 am »
Will this go on .tv..hope it does
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006, 11:46:55 am »
I dont half feel sorry for him. yeah sure i have criticised him this year, but he doesnt deserve this at all.

I just hope this has a positive effect rather than a negative one.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Stretch Armstrong

• Had sex with a swan
  • Legacy Fan
    • My LFC Blog!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006, 11:47:41 am »
Another great post mate - not sure what you having for your brekky but its having a real positive effect  ;)

To be honest heard this story about a board member telling tales out of school and was/will be immediately disappointed if the quotes are genuine - our club is about mutual respect not back stabbing in the dark, if this turns out to be true this board member should remember us fans want Rafa to stay not him - we don't always understand Rafa's decisions but I understand we have a trophy room with silverwar and more importantly a vastly improved squad.  The board need to release a statement stating whether this story is rubbish or not and if true sack the one responsible and apologise for this. 
homepage: www.liverpoolmoods.com

Follow me on Twatter: @toggerguru

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006, 11:49:21 am »

The comments the unnamed Director made

Wow. You're quick off the mark with this article Paul and I don't think anyone with a brain would disagree with what you've written but I have to say that at this stage aren't we all being a bit hasty? I think it's worth remembering the recent events that led to the resignation of Piers Moron at The Mirror before we accept what's been written as gospel.

I mean it wouldn't be the first time the Daily Manc has attempted to kick LFC while we're down by printing a load of shite.

Offline Rafas3leggedtable

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006, 11:49:39 am »
Well said Paul. We don't need people like that with-in this club.

Houllier proved himself ultimately to be tactically lacking but not many can ever doubt his love for the club and support of the players he had, yet even he was spared this sort of criticism until his later years. Benitez IMO is very similar to Houllier in terms of his manner and humility and I know both men would be saying to the players right now 'we win together and we lose together'

The signs that are in the home dressing room, the 'coming together, staying together, working togther' have never rang so true.
The people of Liverpool are workers. This is not a rich town where everyone lives a comfortable life. They work hard for themselves, and this is what we at Liverpool like to do. This is the attitude we must all have.

Offline mark_lfc_forever

• Lost his Poostation now has an iPoone
  • Legacy Fan
    • ebay.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 11:51:55 am »
i feel sorry for rafa the gafa he dosnt deserve this shit we all know what he's capable of
XBOX 360 GAMERTAG,HALSALL LFC

PSN GAMERTAG,HALSALL LFC

Offline Peeker

• Blames Rafa for fucking up Johnson deal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006, 11:52:54 am »
Another top post Paul. I always enjoy reading your posts and always find myself totally agreeing with them.

The only point i would argue with is the Alex Ferguson bit. Ferguson might rotate his players as frequently as Rafa does, but they are sitting at the top of the league....and their players cannot ever be criticised for an apparant lack of fight, endeavor and passion. We are sitting in 11th place, and questions have been asked about the character of our players.

As for the mole who has slated Rafa, i hope we find out who this cowardly twat is on our board and flush the c*nt out. Rafa will not, and should not, tolerate any interference from the board.
Historically, it is something that our board do not do and to do this to possibly our finest manager since Paisley is nothing short of a fucking disgrace in my opinion.

Lets hope all this shite galvanises the lads into giving Villa a good twatting on saturday.

Offline Deadlogic

• Legacy Fan
  • Believe
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006, 11:54:00 am »
haha, and you said you were speechless before :P

Anyway, great article Paul and it sums up perfectly the current situation.

I think this: "Shankly didn't look to what won the league 20 years earlier, but what would win it this season, or the next." is a very important point also, and something that people should remember when they start spouting off about "play the same 11 for the next month..."

Offline arisesirrafa

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2006, 11:55:52 am »
Another fantastic piece Paul.  Were Benitez to be driven out by boardroom politics, it would be a massive blow that would take the club years to recover from.  The club needs to deal with this swiftly and firmly.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006, 11:57:54 am »
whether the quotes are true or not i find the whole anti this and that brigade that find faults with rafa, stevie g,etc immediately when we lose just pathetic and i just hope tomorrow the second of four home games is another victory whatever the scoreline and we get some confidence back

Offline stevie_b

• Main Stander
  • <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transi
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 11:58:29 am »
great post tommo

now lets all pull together and show rafa our support tomorrow

YNWA:scarf
come on without, come on with in, you ain't seen nothing like the mighty Emlyn

Offline calleythered

• no identity anymore...just Archies dad
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • not quite a purple bin, more maroon like....
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 11:58:37 am »
spot on again PT.

never mind the official site, this should be in tonights or tomorrows Liverpool Echo.

we aplogise for our temporary dip in success however we are pleased to announce that normal service has been resumed.

Offline a partridge in seat_5c

• blames English football
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 12:00:07 pm »
Will this go on .tv..hope it does

I haven't even read it but I hope it doesn't

I think everyone needs to cool their boots for a few days

Offline mainstandscouser

• Main Stander
  • From Liverpool
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 12:00:42 pm »
I agree with you on one count Paul - this isn't the way the club conducts its business -  so well said there.

However, the sentiments expressed are not that wide of the mark:

1) Our transfer dealings have been relatively poor - with obvious exceptions - (in terms of both price and quality). This does saddle us with a large squad without an obvious strongest 11

2) Rafa has over-tinkered with line-ups this season. I have often heard that this has made it difficult not only for all of us to judge our strongest 11, but critically for Rafa too.

I guess my first sentence is the critical point though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:02:15 pm by mainstandscouser »
Thank god me arl fella was a Red

Offline Red Squiggle

• Legacy Fan
  • Raaaaaaaafaaaaaaa in Iiiiiiiiistanbuuuuuuuuul
    • Venus in Faux Official Webpage
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:37 pm »
Good article that Paul, but you're wrong, Manchester United have only won the League Cup since Benitez' arrival. Nothing else. Arsenal won the 2005 FA Cup!

Offline Neil D

• The new Kop pin-up model. Met Momo in the ASDA.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 12:01:54 pm »
It is a very special skill to be able to establish your viewpoint on an issue and articulate it simply and coherently with evidence to back up your assertions in writing.

I often think that Paul is able to express what many of us are thinking in exactly the right way and that is an excellent piece that I agree with wholeheartedly.

spot on again PT.

never mind the official site, this should be in tonights or tomorrows Liverpool Echo.

True.

Offline !ZED!

• Zed's dead
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 12:03:29 pm »
whoever has come out and said these things needs to be put in their place

hope the crowd get behind rafa this saturday
RAFA RAFAEL RAFA RAFAEL RAFA RAFAEL BENITEZ

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 12:10:02 pm »
Dont usually read these massive posts but everything you have written is spot on

Offline hansen6

• RAWK Scientific Officer, 1687-1905
  • Legacy Fan
  • Must post more
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 12:12:15 pm »
Good article Paul.

I can't believe someone would criticise Rafa, not just because of the Cup success, but because of the run we put together last year - the best we've played in ages.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 12:17:49 pm »
Good article that Paul, but you're wrong, Manchester United have only won the League Cup since Benitez' arrival. Nothing else. Arsenal won the 2005 FA Cup!

Of course, my mistake. Unlike me to give United too much credit...

There is of course a chance the story is totally made up, but I just don't see it given it was attributed to an actual Director of the club, and not some vague "source close to the club".

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 12:19:41 pm »
You can understand the frustration that the director has but to go public is just stupid.

I think rafa may have to adapt some of his policies towards his team in english football. its all well and good saying that he had rotation in spain and won the league but lets face it, morientes is proof that what works in spain may not work here.

I think rafa picks his team based on the opposition, but i think we have a luxury of picking our best team and letting the opposition worry about us.

having said this rafa has to get time to see if it will work, and i think that to say rotation is rubbish is a misguided statement has it has not been given a chance yet.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 12:25:04 pm »
Great article and one of the best pieces I've read from you. (And I like nearly all of what you write).

A lot of your work does go on .TV and i'd love this to do so as well. Somehow i doubt it.

We all know things aren't great right now and last Sunday was poor by everyone's admission but the shining light that sustains our football club is the fans and Benitez has IMO 99% support.

Yes, his selections will be questioned but generally only after we lose. He made some random selections in the run-in last season which went un-checked due to the result.

However, good results generally follow a good manager and without doubt Benitez is one of the best.

The individual concerned should be asked to leave the board as his lack of judgement on the feelings within our support raise serious doubts on his sanity let alone his business acumen.

As an aside, the claims of 4-5-1 at ManU are absurd unless every time Kenny Dalglish or Peter Beardsley played for Liverpool it was a 4-5-1 formation and no-one was complaining then.

Garcia played in the hole as a second striker probably to get in behind Scholes and Carrick's defensive frailities. Just because he had a complete nightmare doesn't mean it was 4-5-1.

Offline i_wun_bite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 12:26:22 pm »
critic of RB is way overboard. This is crazy stuff....

Offline Мерфи

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 12:44:00 pm »
Seriously - Parry should look into getting somebody to issue statements for the club in this manner.  This is the type of response that I would expect from the club.  If Parry was too busy to do it himself, he could at least hire somebody to write it for him and put his name to it. 

Said well, well said.
Never argue with a fool . . . people may not know the difference .

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 12:48:20 pm »
I see Rick Parry has issued a statement backing Rafa, and it's no less than we'd expect.

It's tricky for the club to go into too much detail about the Director's comments, I'd imagine, as it puts everyone in a very difficult position. It's something that should be dealt with internally, and not in the press, which would merely make it a public slanging match from stooping to that level.

Rafa clearly has the support of the people who matter, but outbursts like that in the Mirror need to be nipped in the bud ASAP.

Offline Peeker

• Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 12:51:33 pm »
azer...you are right.

I also feel that Benitez picks his team based on the position. We do have the luxury of being able to pick a quality side for any game, so lets just go for it and let the opposition worry baout us for a change.

Rafa himself said that we would see a different type of game this season...a team that was more progressive and attacking. I would be surprised to see a 5 man midfield tomorrow to cater for Petrovs runs. That would be a really negative selection in my opinion.

I understand that Rafa wants to keep his players fresh for the new year, but whats the point when we are 15-20 points off the top??

I am not having a go at Rafa...but i just think that could be totally awesome as a team if he just started picking a settled team and stop worrying about the opposition....let them worry about us....we are Liverpool after all.

Offline azer

• Misanthrope who thinks we were battered by Sunderland.
  • Legacy Fan
  • do i not like orange?
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:36 pm »
azer...you are right.

I am rarely wrong.

Its not that we are liverpool and therefore have a divine right to be the best team in the land, but Rafa has got players in and the squad is one of the strongest in the league and we have the players that can deliver so we can afford to be cocky and expect a team to have trouble with us.
Something quaint and witty.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:46 pm »
Great read. Hope everyone at Anfield tomorrow lets him know just how appreciated and wanted he is here, for anyone attached to the club to disagree with that is a fuckin disgrace
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 01:11:34 pm »
Magnificent piece Paul, one of your very best.

You obviously feel very strongly about this, and I'm with your views 100%.

Cannot believe that one of ''our family'' would do such an underhand thing.

OK, we certainly aren't performing to our potential at the moment, but Benitez has EARNED himself the right to several more years... based on what he's done for us already.

If true, this director should be named and sacked.  There's no doubt which of the parties I'm backing.

Offline calleythered

• no identity anymore...just Archies dad
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • not quite a purple bin, more maroon like....
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 01:12:56 pm »
listening to radio city at noon, liverpool fc have declined to comment.

Which one would assume, that they are going to deal with this in-house(as isthe  liverpool way) and this person(fool) will be dealt with internally.

i would then expect a solid backing for rafa, maybe from moores, if not then he should appoint Tomkins to speak to the media and fact them until it hurts!

we aplogise for our temporary dip in success however we are pleased to announce that normal service has been resumed.

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 01:14:46 pm »
excellent peice paul,   lets  get behind raffa 2moz hey? 

id swap him for noone, although mr wenger at arsenal has to be the best pound for pound manager going.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 01:16:07 pm »
Possibly an out of context quote leaped on by the Daily Mail.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Peeker

• Legacy Fan
  • Simply Magnificent
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 01:19:55 pm »
azer...you are right again!!

Man utd, Arse and Chelsea now all had that bit of swagger and arrogance about them. Teams were half beaten even before kickoff. Thats what we need and we have the players to do it.

Hate this one up front shite. Doesnt work in the premierleague unless you have right personnel. We dont.

Getting back to the thread though, the club needs to find out who the twat was slagging Rafa off. However, i have seen this tactics used before at Old Trafford...Siege Mentality?? Hmmmm

Offline anil

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2006, 01:20:26 pm »
I think this is one of your best articles Paul.

I'm a big believer in looking at past evidence to support predictions.  However, one piece of information that is rarely put out about Rafa's tenure at Valencia is that in the season between league titles, Valencia finished 5th, and out of the CL places.  So, one can also say that after a season of outstanding success (league title win against all odds), Rafa is also capable of leading the same squad to a poor season. 

However, if that past suggests anything, its that Rafa is able to rebound from lows to quite astonishing highs.

Offline tazman74

• Main Stander
  • We won it six times whisky nose!
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2006, 01:21:48 pm »
Great piece Paul, echoes my sentiments entirely. It's pretty disappointing that some prat is shit stirring a la Freddy Shepherd.

Everyone at the game this weekend should send a message to this guy - chant for Benitez.
My old man said be a Man U fan,
I said 'Fuck off bollocks, you're a c*nt!'

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2006, 01:22:42 pm »
Wow, you are quick, mate!  And spot on. :wave

Make my blood boil.  It's not only about Rafa but also the interest of the Club.  That director has no place on the Liverpool board.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2006, 01:23:56 pm »
Wow, you are quick

That's what my ex used to say...  :P

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2006, 01:27:59 pm »
Let's try & 'out' the director in question during tomorrows game!!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!