Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58469 times)

Offline momo22

• Legacy Fan
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #720 on: April 9, 2012, 01:20:05 pm »
Can you use Sky Go if not a Sky customer? or will the person with the Sky contract be charged?
Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to the basement and say, "Hey Mr. Nugget - you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowney ass name on this fat-ass cheque for you."

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #721 on: April 9, 2012, 01:30:34 pm »
Can you use Sky Go if not a Sky customer? or will the person with the Sky contract be charged?

dont understand what  u mean?   say your brother has al the full package and gives you his details to watch sky go on your fone ?  sky go is free with folk with sports or movies

Offline momo22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: April 9, 2012, 01:46:41 pm »
dont understand what  u mean?   say your brother has al the full package and gives you his details to watch sky go on your fone ?  sky go is free with folk with sports or movies

Yeah but when i was reading the terms and conditions it mentioned that it's free for existing customers, which I'm not. Was just wondering if they could find that out and charge the person whose Sky I.D. I'm using.
Now you think Ronald McDonald gonna go down to the basement and say, "Hey Mr. Nugget - you the bomb. We sellin' chicken faster than you can tear the bone out. So I'm gonna write my clowney ass name on this fat-ass cheque for you."

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #723 on: April 9, 2012, 07:38:06 pm »
I would have this phone in a second if i wasn't stuck on a contract with blackberry till august 2013!
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline my name canged back to tucker?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: April 9, 2012, 10:42:49 pm »
Not sure about a cassette player. As iSmiff said, you might be able to get a bluetooth cassette, or alternatively a cassette with a cable that you plug into your headphone jack.  (EDIT: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-PH-62050-MP3-MD-To-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B0007R4LI8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1333666704&sr=8-2)

I finally managed to get mine working via USB though. I used to use my iPhone 3GS via USB, and could control it via the steering wheel controls, however when I plugged my S2 in it kept saying "invalid device" (after several minutes of saying it was searching for music). If anyone else has this issue and doesn't know a workaround, the following will do it:

1) Make sure your phone is unplugged from the stereo
  2) Go to the USB settings on the phone (on Ice Cream Sandwich its under Settings > More > USB Utilities, I think on Gingerbread its with the wi-fi settings).
  3) Click "Connect storage to PC"
  4) When prompted, plug it into the stereo
  5) It will then ask you another question (can't remember what exactly), but select "Yes".
  6) That's it, it should now work.

Only downside is you can't choose playlists (certainly on my stereo anyway) which I could with the iPhone. Oh, and you have to repeat the above process each time you plug it in.

got that ordered, cheers,

i have looked for this next piece of kit which i cant find, probably dut to the fact i dont know what its called, assuming it exists, which it bound to

i have an ipod at home, i stick it in my docking station and listen to music all the time, is there some kind of converter or part i can buy so that this phone will fit in the docking station? or do i have to buy a dock specifically for this?

edit: just found this http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cablejive-dockboss-smart-audio-input-adapter-for-apple-30-pin-docks-p29935.htm?referer=aff_aw_85386
any other, maybe cheaper options?

edit2: similar thing on ebay for £10, might be shit though, not sure, any advice welcome
« Last Edit: April 9, 2012, 10:55:12 pm by tucker1984 »

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: April 9, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »
Yeah but when i was reading the terms and conditions it mentioned that it's free for existing customers, which I'm not. Was just wondering if they could find that out and charge the person whose Sky I.D. I'm using.

nah they wouldnt give a fuck so your fine  :wave

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
« Reply #726 on: April 10, 2012, 06:20:57 pm »
Get mine in the morning can't wait

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: April 10, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »
Get mine in the morning can't wait

Its odd - when I got mine in August I didn't realise how good it was. I didn't look at many reviews because I was on holiday and couldn't get a good reception on my 3GS, so I just asked the guy in the O2 store and he said it was a really good phone, the best of the ones they had going free at the time on the £21 per month contract. I still wasn't sure but decided to go for it anyway - the fact that its still so sought after now, and is still classed as one of the best phones on the market (as far as I know), shows that for once I made the right decision :)

Still loving it - never get bored of it (unlike previous phones that I've got bored of after a couple of months).

EDIT: Even as recent as last month it was being classed as the best smartphone by one website :) - http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/20-best-mobile-phones-in-the-world-today-645440?artc_pg=21
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 06:47:16 pm by damian »
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #728 on: April 11, 2012, 12:00:44 am »
Picked this up today and i am absolutely loving it. First smartphone i've had and i'm in love!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: April 11, 2012, 04:08:49 pm »
i need help, again, 3 questions to follow

in seetings when i go to storage i see the following info:

SD Card
Total Space: unavailable
Available Space: unavailable

thats ok, i didnt put an SD Card in it and i doubt it came with one,

USB Storage
Total Space: 11.50GB
Available Space: 10.65GB

Device Memory: 1.63GB

1) When i download apps and music does this automatically come off my device memory or USB Storage?
2) how much space is actually free on my phone, is it 1.63gb or 10.65gb ot both these added together?
3) how do i make this work for me?

thanks again and sorry for my ignorance and stupidity.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 04:25:28 pm by tucker1984 »

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #730 on: April 12, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
I am sending off mine to get the screen fixed, not sure what I am going to do without it for a few days.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:18 pm »
all of a sudden the last 2 days my battery life has only lasted 8hrs and thats with no wifi and with juice defender anyone know if theirs a setting to control the battery life?

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #732 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »
all of a sudden the last 2 days my battery life has only lasted 8hrs and thats with no wifi and with juice defender anyone know if theirs a setting to control the battery life?

I always turn the screen brightness setting down to 0...but I have noticed that sometimes it jumps back up to 100%...thats when the battery starts dying fast.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #733 on: April 13, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »
I would have this phone in a second if i wasn't stuck on a contract with blackberry till august 2013!

Fuckin hell. What sort of contract you on
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #734 on: April 13, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

1) When i download apps and music does this automatically come off my device memory or USB Storage?

I think apps install to device, memory by default but you can move some to the other

2) how much space is actually free on my phone, is it 1.63gb or 10.65gb ot both these added together?

the 10gb can be for data i.e. "do what you want". The other part is device memory. I guess a bit like having windows with 2 partitions/drives

3) how do i make this work for me?

What do you mean..how you should use it? - Doesn't really matter unless youre putting loads n loads on there - The device partitions should be sufficient for the average user

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: April 14, 2012, 12:01:58 am »
cheers buzzing,

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #736 on: April 14, 2012, 08:39:35 pm »
Couple of battery related tips I used.

Use altitude to update google latitude instead of google maps.
Use tasked to toggle data connections not juice defender, I used to use juice defender and I found it  actually causes more wake locks which ends up using more battery in the long run.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #737 on: April 16, 2012, 08:05:26 am »
Well, I'm back with the Galaxy after T Mobile actually sorted themselves out and gave me the deal I agreed on.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline se9R.F.L

• Legacy Fan
  • i fight the empire, i fix the robots.
    • imdb
« Reply #738 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:58 am »
love, LOVE this phone.

quick question if anyone knows...

picture messages and vcards coming through on my texts seem to be coming through as videos. can't read the vcards and the picture messages have a play bar at the bottom.
why should this be pray tell?

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #739 on: April 16, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »
Just released version 2.1.0 of the LFCHistory app

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: April 16, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »

so someone suggested deleting some apps after i mentioned this last app i had downloaded was draw something since deleting it my battery has went back to normal seems like draw something was constantly running on data and hence the reason it was draining my battery like a bitch

Offline Pendzo

• Kopite
« Reply #741 on: April 17, 2012, 01:43:46 am »
Well, I'm back with the Galaxy after T Mobile actually sorted themselves out and gave me the deal I agreed on.

What deal did they give you mate?  The 'deal' they offered me was pretty shit, only £40 less upfront than what i would have paid instead. Shit considering my dad's been with them for 20 years and three.co.uk had a better deal  :-\

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #742 on: April 17, 2012, 08:06:09 am »
I recommend deleting the Facebook app and using friendcaster instead. Massive battery improvements!

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #743 on: April 17, 2012, 09:37:36 am »
What deal did they give you mate?  The 'deal' they offered me was pretty shit, only £40 less upfront than what i would have paid instead. Shit considering my dad's been with them for 20 years and three.co.uk had a better deal  :-\

£17 a month for 24 months, 300 mins, unlimited text booster, 750mb internet & free phone.

That was what was agreed when I accepted although they reneged and put me down as 100 mins only, played holy shit with them, told them they can pick their brand new and opened phone up and I'll go elsewhere. After 2 weeks of pissing about they gave me the deal they agreed originally.

I do believe the girl made a genuine error on the mins when I upgraded but tough shit, that was the deal I agreed and was prepared to walk away although I wouldn't have got a deal anywhere near that.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #744 on: April 17, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »
Anyone had problems with 3G on this? No idea why but I can't get my 3G to work at all, it's not showing up at the top either.

Offline Chindits

• It's important to me
  • Legacy Fan
  • L4 Scal-Qaeda Cyber Terrorist Cell
    • ccTwitter
« Reply #745 on: April 17, 2012, 03:52:46 pm »
Anyone had problems with 3G on this? No idea why but I can't get my 3G to work at all, it's not showing up at the top either.
mine was same yesterday just got them to resend configuration text sorted.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #746 on: April 17, 2012, 06:24:53 pm »
I recommend deleting the Facebook app and using friendcaster instead. Massive battery improvements!
I havejust downloaded Friendcaster, and it looks great. Just out of interest, how often do you set it to poll for notifications? Thanks.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #747 on: April 17, 2012, 08:16:58 pm »
I havejust downloaded Friendcaster, and it looks great. Just out of interest, how often do you set it to poll for notifications? Thanks.
...also, do you use the widget? Mine keeps showing the 'tap to configure' button.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #748 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »
Got this today only to almost straight away run into a problem...when I opened the camera there is a little black bit on screen (like a bit of dust) I tried cleaning it but it still remains. Rang up tech support 4 times over the last couple of hours. I was told to re-set camera settings, didnt work. Was then told factory re-set phone, didnt work. Was then told to install ICS, which I tried but could not, Kies problem...
So they are going to replace it on Thursday. Gutted I was so happy when I got it, but found the problem in about 10 mins  :'(
I would still like to try the ICS firmware update but it is not showing up in Kies?  :(

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #749 on: April 17, 2012, 08:41:29 pm »
mine was same yesterday just got them to resend configuration text sorted.

How do you do that. I'm on orange.

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: April 17, 2012, 09:22:26 pm »

how do u lock your phone ? sometimes it turns data off by itself if you press the button on the right like i do

hold the right hand side button down it will come up with phone options make sure data network mode is activated

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #751 on: April 17, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »
It's definitely activated, hasn't worked in about 2 week but had no time to sort it.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #752 on: April 17, 2012, 10:05:50 pm »
...also, do you use the widget? Mine keeps showing the 'tap to configure' button.
I have just received an update from the market to fix the problem.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #753 on: April 18, 2012, 09:16:29 am »

I use the push notifications so that it sends the updates to me only when there are some. This is much better on your battery than having to wake up the device and do a poll say every 15 mins.

I don't use the widget so I can no comment on that sorry.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: April 18, 2012, 09:49:01 am »
Right techno luddie here needs some help:

Connected my Vodafone S2 to Kies the other day and it updated the firmware to ICS and since then I've been getting the incoming email notifications fine & no problem as per usual, but the problem is when I go into my email account I can see the mail and yet within a second or so it auto deletes the mail before I have a chance to open & read it. I can't find anything in settings to change, anyone have any ideas?

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: April 18, 2012, 11:38:33 am »

I've tried installing friendcaster but can't get past the facebook login. I login successfully, but then just get a blank screen with the "install" button to the top-right. If I click that I get an error saying "An error occurred with FriendCaster for Android. Please try later". If I click Cancel I just get back to the "Login to Facebook" screen in FriendCaster.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #756 on: April 18, 2012, 12:12:41 pm »
How do you do that. I'm on orange.

Anyone?

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: April 18, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »
Anyone?

Do you have log in details to view your account on their website. Not sure about Orange as never been with them, but often you are able to request the config be sent to your phone through the website.

EDIT: After a not very interesting trawl through their help section I finally found this, might help - http://orangeotm.wdsglobal.com/orange/internet?step=modelselection.vm&countryId=36&networkId=85&contractId=230&captchaEnabled=false&phoneId=4211
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:25:50 pm by damian »

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #758 on: April 18, 2012, 01:46:34 pm »
I've tried installing friendcaster but can't get past the facebook login. I login successfully, but then just get a blank screen with the "install" button to the top-right. If I click that I get an error saying "An error occurred with FriendCaster for Android. Please try later". If I click Cancel I just get back to the "Login to Facebook" screen in FriendCaster.

Thats a strange one, I have not had that.
Someone mentioned a new version has been released with bug fixes, have you tried that?

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: April 18, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
Thats a strange one, I have not had that.
Someone mentioned a new version has been released with bug fixes, have you tried that?

I think its the latest version I got - straight from the store this morning.