Author Topic: Book Review: A Season On The Brink by Guillem Balague  (Read 16710 times)

Offline RAWK Editor

• RAWK Staff.
  • Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Book Review: A Season On The Brink by Guillem Balague
« on: November 15, 2005, 02:03:49 pm »
A Season On The Brink: Rafael Benitez, Liverpool and the Path to European Glory by Guillem Balague
Published by Weidenfeld & Nicolson (UK)
November 2005
Hardcover: 192 Pages
ISBN: 0297852442
RRP £16.99

Closely following the fortunes of Rafa Benitez’s extraordinary first season in charge, Spanish pundit and self-declared Liverpool fan Guillem Balague relives the drama of Liverpool’s remarkable Champions League triumph.

Through the eyes of some key contributors, A Season On The Brink provides a fascinating look into the Spanish influence that has swept through the corridors of Anfield. It overlaps well with Paco Lloret's recent authorised biography, (which focussed mostly on Benitez’s time in Spain), by instead detailing the significant changes Benitez has already introduced to the historic bootroom.

The long list of those who contributed to the book is certainly impressive, with comments from players past and present; backroom staff; the board of directors; supporters; and even Benitez himself. The view from the Milan camp is heard through the input of both Carlo Ancelotti and Gattuso, with the latter being refreshingly honest in his appraisal of the final, admitting that “maybe it is not our fate to win this. Then, when I saw Dudek’s save, the ‘maybe’ disappeared from that thought seriously, I knew we were going to lose in the penalties”.

It was also interesting to hear Pako Ayestaran speak about his role and love for the club, as he is generally someone who is rarely heard from. “Let’s go to Liverpool, let’s go to Liverpool” he apparently nagged Rafa, who at the time was considering several other offers after electing to sever his ties with Valencia.

Whilst undoubtedly being one of the books main strengths, certain contributor’s unfortunately only serve to tarnish the book, with Chris Bascombe the chief culprit. Barely hiding his disdain for all things Houllier, he depicts the former manager as some sort of egotistical dictator and Benitez the benevolent saviour. Another accusation that could be labelled at the book is that it did come across a touch propagandist at times – and with the Liverpool hierarchy having a considerable input, it can only be assumed that it received Liverpool FC’s official seal of approval.

Still, the book is a must read for any fan wanting to live through the excitement of the Champions League Final again, and to hear from many of the key personalities involved. Xabi Alonso for example, somewhat embarrassingly explains an infamous moment from that night – “Ah that ‘peck’. We were all in the team group and he took my face and planted a great big smacker on me. And the way things were, I just thought, “OK, I’ll give him a kiss on the lips!” We were all just letting our joy, everything we has inside ourselves, flood out”.

© ianjaig 2005
« Last Edit: November 24, 2005, 07:24:45 pm by Ben S »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Book Review: A Season On The Brink by Guillem Balague
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 02:24:59 pm »
everything we has inside ourselves, flood out”.

:o

Okay, seriously, it sounds promising. Where it's on sale at?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline carra__gold

• Anny Roader
  • Weve won it 5 times....
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 02:28:23 pm »
sound like one for the christmas list

Offline suffolkrafa

• Kopite
  • 10/08/1977 & 08/01/2011 The King comes home
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 02:34:59 pm »
Got the book on Saturday via Amazon, and have to admit, to have read it already, and it's a fascinating insight into our club, and our Gaffa.

Well worth buying guys

YNWA

Offline Yorkshire-Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 02:44:40 pm »
Got  my copy  yesterday. A fascinating read, really interesting and informative, especially from the point of view of all the Spanish people at the club.

I was surprised to find out just how distant Rafa keeps from his players, and it seems this was one of he problems last summer ... Stevie never really knew how much Rafa rated him. (Or perhaps how little? Apparently Rafa would answer "Yes, yes" to Stevie's contibutions to tactical discussions. Stevie never knew that Rafa didn't understand a word he was saying!)

Sometimes its hard to distinguish what is Balague's interpretation of events from Rafa's (and his team's). Especially on the football side where, as we know, Balague has his own strong (and sometimes slightly idiosyncratic) opinions. I was surprised how much he/Rafa felt the disaster in the first half at Istanbul was down to Stevie's defensive indiscipline. Certainly there was a problem defending against Kaka, but I had always put it down to the formation. Perhaps its the same thing, though, if Stevie wasn't operating where/how Rafa had intended him to.

Again, a really gripping read. I would recommend it to anyone.

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 10:03:53 am »
:o

Okay, seriously, it sounds promising. Where it's on sale at?

Got mine through Amazon - but assume most major book retailers will be stocking it by now.
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 02:33:11 pm »
I got this and fowlers autobiography for £17 on amazon on a special deal. It is a great read even if It took me about 4 hours to read it from cover to cover

Gives you an idea of the men that run the team. Methodical and calculated. Read it, definately
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 02:19:50 am »
I've been waiting for this release from Guillem Balague - I'll tell my missus (her grandmother was a Basque from Pals) my Christmas wishes in the morning  ;) even though I have to work Christmas Day and New Years Day! :(
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 06:22:45 pm »
Mine arrived this morning and I have been reading a lot of it today.  Agree with what you say about Bascombe and I must say I have not been impressed with the things he has said.  Very disappointing from a man that I consider to be a top journalist.

Nevertheless, the book is a belter.  Without giving too much away, the bit about where all the "celebs", Liverpool fans and ex-players and where they were on the night in Istanbul is a great read.

A must for anybody.  I also got the one by Lloret, which I have not got round to reading, and will probably start after finishing this one.

For me it is a fascinating insight into a man that clearly lives and breathes football.  It is almost a cover-to-cover reassurance that Rafa is the right man to lead us back into our former glory and Guillem leaks out all the gossip like a broken tap!  Also, if anyone tries to suggest to you that Rafa is "too nice", refer him to this book!

Great review and a great book.

:)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2005, 06:30:03 pm by Garstonite »

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 07:37:02 pm »
We are friends with Guillem Balague and my dad actually helped in writing the book from a fans point of view, the official book lauch is this thursday so looking forward to it as i have a ticket to be there with Rafa and co..... at a place only known to me
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 02:21:29 pm by ShanksLegend »

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 07:45:44 pm »
Are you going to talk to the great man? Fancy blagging an interview for us?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Ianjaig

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "We had Heighway on the wing..." BEEP BEEP!!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 03:23:24 pm »
I also got the one by Lloret, which I have not got round to reading, and will probably start after finishing this one.

It is almost a cover-to-cover reassurance that Rafa is the right man to lead us back into our former glory

Great review and a great book.

:)

Suspect you’ll really like Paco’s book also then as he details Rafa’s numerous successes in Spain – which were equally reassuring!

Cheers for your comments  :)
Bill Shankly to a Liverpool fan:
"Where are you from?"
"I'm a Liverpool fan from London."
"Well laddie . . . . What's it like to be in heaven?"

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 03:55:03 pm »
My partner has been nagging for some hints for Christmas pressies so I think I will suggest this. Seems a good read and has plenty of gay lovin' in by the sounds  :P

“OK, I’ll give him a kiss on the lips!” We were all just letting our joy, everything we has inside ourselves, flood out”.

© ianjaig 2005
Internet terrorist

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 10:31:29 pm »
Sounds intresting! I'll order this book immediately.

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2005, 12:27:26 am »
I can't wait to read it!

Socrates

Offline ShanksLegend

• Spirit Of Shankly RTK
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool FC is an institution not a business
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2005, 11:56:21 am »
Went to the book lauch yesterday in the Sir Thomas Hotel, met Carra, Paco and Alonso, it was a cracking afternoon, and looking through bits from the book it looks fantastic, i advise everyone who's anyone to get it. 

Great Stuff.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 02:22:12 pm by ShanksLegend »

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2005, 02:14:53 am »
You lucky sod! ;)

Socrates

Offline brent

• Boys Pen
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 05:44:18 pm »
any of you going to get their book signed by balague tomorrow at borders (skepe branch) hes there at 5 or so i believe...

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2005, 07:56:57 pm »
Yeah good read and a good stocking filler for your old man.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline XPeriment626

• Main Stander
  • Class and grace - money can't buy either of these
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 02:59:31 am »
My partner has been nagging for some hints for Christmas pressies so I think I will suggest this. Seems a good read and has plenty of gay lovin' in by the sounds  :P

hahahaha!
anyway this book will now be on my christmas wish list!
Maybe football won't end all the wars in the world. But it sure keeps people distracted long enough for you to steal their guns!

Offline mike (once a red always a red)

• Main Stander
  • CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2005, 06:09:31 pm »
I still haven't finished stand up pinnochio, so maybe next year
"there are two great teams in Liverpool, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" Bill Shankly

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2005, 06:36:48 pm »
Just bought it today, to read on the plane over to Japan........

To get into the mood, if ya know what I mean.

Offline magpie

• Kopite
  • 96 friends we all shall miss. JFT96.
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 11:01:16 am »
Just read it last night. Amazing to hear about the confusion that almost led to Stevie leaving. It also had me delving all my Istanbul souvenirs out, ticket stub, photos and papers from the day after.
Great stuff.
"Ignore the arl witch and sing/shout for justice."

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2005, 03:30:49 pm »
Interesting for the quotes and comments from the likes of Benitez and carragher. However, it does toe the official line a bit too readily and glosses over certain things, like the Owen saga. Suffers from over-simplification in areas (particularly the one-eyed account on Gerrard and his decision not to leave). Most annoying was his readiness to knock Houllier and certain players (though criticism of Baros is largely implied). He admits he was close to Houllier and met him regularly, then proceeds to sneer all over his name at every opportunity. Didn't like that, to much bridge burning for me. Overall, an interesting read, I'd give it 7 out of 10.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 02:12:42 pm »
Just finished mine.  Well written and absorbing.  The interviews and the quotes, especially with the management team which gives insight into the training method and ethos, are fascinating.   And after reliving that night through the eyes of everyone involves can't help but to take out that DVD, again  ;D  That knocking on GH is totally unnecessary though. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 02:15:44 pm by mercury »

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 3, 2006, 11:59:22 pm »
I read the book over Christmas.

Good points:-
1. Enjoyable read. Skips along at a good pace.
2. Good insights into RB's thinking, team dyanmics, SG's 'mentality', SG unbalancing the team etc. In particular, it was good that Balague highlighted RB's mentality of not wanting to have a team where certain players are indulged with the result that certain players (eg. SG) overperform to the detriment of other players. SG is a great player but it always used to make me cringe when he ran in the LB position to the take the ball off Traore, or charged down the left wing.
3. Comments from various people about where they were on 25 May 2005.

Bad points:-
4. None really, though I can't help thinking that Balague glosses over issues eg. reasons why Diouf left, and deliberately avoids commenting too specifically on team tactics / RB's specific strategies (so as not to give anything away to opposition managers), internal issues etc

Overall 8/10. A enjoyable but slightly 'light' read.

Would have read Paul Tomkin's book as well over Christmas, if it hadn't been for Amazon/Post Office losing it in the post....   :P

Offline Learpholl

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 4, 2006, 08:41:00 pm »
I got the book yesterday along with the Kop book. Finished it today, good read with some nice background of the Ayestaran and Herrera. As it says in the book Rafa always uses "we" instead of "me" or "I".

Very good book. I am a fan of Guillem and really wanted the book and I wasnt let down.

I cant wait to get stuck into the Kop book, should be good.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2006, 04:27:57 pm »
I loved the comparison between Ged's office and Rafa's. I won't give it away.

Editor, you're right, he was very harsh on Ged but a lot of it rang true for me, if you know what I mean.

Offline LFCDore

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2006, 08:53:35 pm »
I am trying to buy this book as well as the one by Pako Lloret on Rafa in the US. Anyone know the best place to order the books? Any information will be truly appreciated.

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong thread! Let me know if I did!
"Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say, 'We're Liverpool'." --Bill Shankly

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 6, 2006, 03:22:04 am »
Ordered mine from Amazon. Take a look it may still  offer a special package for the two books. 

Offline Brother Mouzone

• Kopite
  • Keep your head up, keep kicking and don't drown
« Reply #30 on: January 6, 2006, 09:36:04 am »
Thought the Balague book was outstanding. The pace was fantastic and it managed to give a tremendous insight into the new regime and the old one. I know people have axes to grind sometimes but equally propaganda can also be true.

Got it for Christmas - finished it by Boxing Day. Yes, I was a barrel of laughs on Xmas Day. :)

I bought the Paco Lloret book from Amazon (in answer to the question)  - haven't read it yet though.
If you are visiting Crete this year or any of the Greek islands please take a minute to visit this website www.findstevencook.co.uk and learn about a good Red who needs your help.

Offline Kenny

• Kopite
  • Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent
« Reply #31 on: January 6, 2006, 02:34:14 pm »
Read this book over the Christmas, brilliant read definitely an 8/10

Offline kevindublin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 6, 2006, 04:50:19 pm »
i hadnt picked up a book in about 10 years before robbie fowler one, when i was goin on holiday, which i enjoyed,

but this even better in my opinion, quality read, that brings back loads of memories

Offline oldred

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: January 7, 2006, 10:20:01 am »
Good book but agreed with editor about being a bit too official.I also thought that the Houllier stuff to be shall we say unfortunate. The Champions league bit was great as well as the comments from Gatttuso(forgive spelling).Read it in two days so therefore overall it was a good read. Well worth buying for Istanbul alone.

Offline toshi

• Kopite
  • Respect
« Reply #34 on: January 8, 2006, 01:17:36 pm »
bought it yesterday here in jakarta, will finish reading it tonite. good read..... :D

CJ        : "Morton, this is President Bartlett"
Bartlett : "Hey Morton"
Morton (stunned) : "WOW"
Bartlett  : "Well Said"

Offline gramck24

• Tryathlete
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 8, 2006, 06:12:04 pm »
Finished reading this last night. Would recomend anone to purchase. A cracking read.

Offline Benno2

• Anny Roader
« Reply #36 on: January 9, 2006, 02:50:16 am »
It was obviously written with Liverpool fans in mind, but it all rang true, so definitely worth reading.  :champ

Offline dragonpool

• Main Stander
« Reply #37 on: January 9, 2006, 08:58:30 pm »
I've ordered this and Rafa Benitez: The Authorised Biography by Paco Lloret, can't wait to read both, heard great things about them especially, A SOTB
"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool."  PAKO AYESTERAN

Offline davidlam

• Main Stander
  • This Is God and Rafa
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2006, 10:01:08 am »
Just finished this book and Tomkins' book.  Both books are really great.  Tomkins' is more from a fan's point of view, and Balague's is more from an insider point of view.

I am very impressed in how Rafa and the backroom staff do their jobs in such an organized, well planned, analytical mannar.  The book was probably finished by mid July before the TNS game, and looking at how things turned out over these few months, I can't help but thinking the Club is in safe hand under Rafa and the backroom staff's stewardship.

Offline Paul F

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2006, 01:02:25 pm »
I'd go along with most of the comments.  Great book with some fantastic insights, but largely a "isn't Rafa great, wasn't Ged crap?" over-simplification.

I was also irritated by some factual errors - if just an average fan (in my case watching from afar) knows these facts to be wrong, how can a self-professed fan and serious journalist get them wrong?

But I wouldn't want that to put anyone off - HT in Istanbul is probably the best bit.