Author Topic: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 2 - 2 Newcastle  (Read 5527 times)

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 2 - 2 Newcastle
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:26:34 pm »
After watching The Reds edge past the Mackems at Anfield on Saturday I was hoping the Reserves, with Florent Sinama-Pogolle returning to the starting line up, would be more convincing against their North-Eastern rivals Newcastle. I was to be disappointed but not completely. The game finished 2-2 and was another entertaining affair.

With the sun low in the sky behind Liverpool's backs, I had to squint to see the stunning girl with brown hair walking up the stand. As Newcastle kicked off I became aware that the lad sat behind me was Academy youngster James Frayne. He was talking about knuckling down with the arrival of the new lads which is just the attitude you want to hear displayed.

Trialist Roman Calliste (a Welsh U21 international despite the name, and released by the Mancs this summer) started up front with Sinama and both had some very positive early touches. Calliste looks very good with his back to goal and held the ball up well, which was something we lacked last week when the starting XI lacked a recognised striker.

The first chance came on ten minutes. Hobbs won the ball and passed to Traore, he turned the right back inside out and crossed. Adam Hammill jumped and headed past the keeper but the ball came back off the post.

We didn't have to wait long for the first goal though. The commanding Hobbs won a loose ball in midfield, he ran past his man and slipped through a perfect ball for Sinama to round the keeper and slot home.

Danny Guthrie had started the game very impressively and was linking up with Sinama and Hammill brilliantly. These three have a lot of individual skill and some of it was a joy to watch. In the twenty fifth minute Guthrie played a majestic one-two with Sinama, he lined up a shot from 25 yards and was only prevented from scoring when Tony Craig pulled off a fantastic save in the Newcastle goal.

Newcastle had been toothless early on. Their main threat came from Alan O'Brien who was causing David Raven all sorts of problems down Newcastle's left wing. Down the other wing Traore was replaced after 32 minutes making way for James Smith. It was good to see both Raven and Traore get a run out after injury problems in recent weeks.

As we approached half time James Frayne's mates cracked me up as they had the following conversation;

"How much are Wrexham in debt mate?"

"It's about £4m I think"

"Nah mate, they must be skinter than that. Two years ago the hamburgers were £1.60, they're £2.40 now!"

I had just stopped laughing when Newcastle equalised. Raven sliding to block a through ball instead diverted the ball past the quietly effective young Spaniard Roque (making his reserve debut). The ball fell to Finnigan, his shot was superbly saved by Wilson but the rebound fell straight to Atkin to slot home.

I couldn't wait for the start of the second half, if only to shut the muppet who was chanting "Twenty pence your programmes" incessantly. Sinama went off at half time and in his place came Antwi Godwin. He was a straight swap and he went to play up front as he had against Everton reserves.

Newcastle had the first chance of the second half. Smylie hit a curling freekick from 25 yards that clipped the bar and went behind. Wilson hadn't moved.

Hobbs who seemed more confident than last week, had a pile driver from about 30 yards go narrowly over the bar and according to Frayne's commentary it broke chair 14 in row Z. Liverpool were dominating and on the hour took the lead. The irrepressible Guthrie picked up the ball in the middle of the park and fed it through to the onrushing Godwin and Calliste. Calliste, sniffing a chance, took control and beat the keeper to his right with a tidy finish. 2-1.

Newcastle were nearly back in it just a couple of minutes later. Gate, the industrious number seven for Newcastle, shot from a tight angle about six yards out and Wilson did very well to deflect it onto the post. As Liverpool were manically defending Gate clashed with Liverpool's number 7 Guthrie and the pair went down. Neither moved and it was worrying for a minute or so, but happily both managed not only to get up, but to continue the game.

Gate made the most of surviving the collision by helping himself to an equaliser. The ball broke free in midfield and from the left angle he drove a twenty five yarder right into the keeper's top left corner of the net. It was more than Newcastle deserved but it was a cracking effort.

Another funny conversation was heard from behind as one of Frayne's mates asked a local who Wrexham's sponsor was.

"Just go" came the reply.

"Aw that's a bit harsh considering Wrexham's state!"

Just a mention for Frayne. He was really supportive of all the lads, even Calliste who is effectively vying for his place. If that's an accurate reflection of moral within the camp it's great news. Also I'd like to apologise for telling him that there were two minutes left when there were ten. It was an accident, these things happen, but these early leavers - what can you do?

Man of the Match: Guthrie. He was absolutely fantastic today. He worked his socks off and showed no small amount of skill. Mentions for Roque, very calm and assured, and Hammill who showed excellent potential. Raven also got better and better as the game went on.

Liverpool:

Paul Willis
David Raven
Djimi Traore (35, James Smith)
Miki Roque
Danny O'Donnell
Salif Diao
Danny Guthrie
Jack Hobbs
Florent Sinama-Pongolle (45, Godwin Antwi)
Ramon Calliste (80, David Mannix)
Adam Hammill

Subs not used:

David Roberts
Lee Peltier

© AdamS 2005
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 09:45:47 pm by Rushian »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Reds in Reserve. Liverpool 2 - 2 Newcastle
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 09:32:19 pm »
Thanks for the report.

Well done to FSP for his goal.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 09:34:29 pm »
With the sun low in the sky behind Liverpool's backs I had to squint to see the stunning girl with brown hair walking up the stand.

a single sentence?  now, this is an example of some very shoddy, slack, disinterested, news reporting...

we need more coverage of the important bits... :P

another half-day, another Sinama tally...

come on, Florent... :wave
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline driftinwest

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone.
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 09:41:28 pm »
Adam did you get told why traore went off so early in the game, and would you say he will be pushing for a first team place soon.
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline piddsterturk

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 09:42:34 pm »
I think I know that girl that was coming up the stand, you leave her alone.

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 09:43:00 pm »
Good stuff, cheers fella.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Offline Jon G

• I'm Jim Rockford, at the tone leave your name and number and I'll get back to ya. PM Jon Hall if you can read this...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 78 stone wobble
    • not mine
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 09:47:46 pm »
I saw Calliste play for Wales under 21s against Austria in March, he was shocking, first touch was awful and he couldn't hold up a bank. Must have been having a bad day at the office, so to speak :D
NOTHING GREAT HAS EVER BEEN ACHIEVED WITHOUT PASSION - CARRAGHER 23

Offline jbdbreds

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 09:49:09 pm »
Great report again.  I know it's early days, but who apart from Pongo and Djimi do you think will be pushing for a spot in the first team?  Even for Carling?

Offline Realdidi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 10:03:59 pm »
Pongo off at half time, maybe he be in the squad tomorrow??
I love Liverpool like a fat kid love Cake

http://twitter.com/#/AlfaEllis

Offline djibril

• wishes he had chosen a better username
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 10:09:48 pm »
Pongolle scores again and is replaced at half-time?  Hopefully that means he may be in the running for a place on the bench on Friday.  Any news on Traore?
"If we want no criticism then we must work harder to ensure we don't deserve it" - Rafael Benitez

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 10:15:12 pm »
Miki Roque...wasn't he in 9.5 weeks?

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 10:40:10 pm »
Cheers mate top stuff as per the last one, I hope you keep these coming for some time its really nice to know whats going on with the youngsters. You could stick em all in a book at the end of the season "Golden Past, Red Reserves" has a ring to it, dont you think? ;)

Edit: Oh yea, were you serious about Traore turning someone inside out? :P
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 11:02:53 pm »
Damn.. no Flo coming off the bench tomorrow then. I was going to bring flowers to chuck down at him for his arrival. Cheers for the report Adam. Am really liking the sound of Sir Jack Hobbs.

Offline AdamS

• Hey I'm Not Camp! But I am a tart...
  • Legacy Fan
    • BollockyBoo
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 11:50:40 pm »
To try and answer all the questions...

Rhi - I think Guthrie is only 17. I was really impressed with his level of skill warming up last season but not in the game,  he's really come on this year though. One Liverpool reserve who I won't name thinks he has benefited from being at Melwood ;)

He was class.

Driftinwest - didn't seem to be injured. He spent most of the second half gooning about with Sinama... think he just needed a run out. He played very well.

Piddsterturk - lucky lad ;)

Jon G  - Aye not yet convinced but enough for an extended trial.

Sky Blue Red - It's weird Traore regularly turns people inside out for the ressies. I don't know if it's a confidence thing? He played extremely well though.

Sinama fans - I think I'm currently his second biggest after Rob... He's got soooo much potential. I think he can be anything he wants I really do!

PS. I think I miss the wolves game, so I will do an away or two to compensate. Sorry I'm on a beach in Spain. :-\
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 12:03:52 am by AdamS »
If A is a success in life, than A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Re: Reds in Reserve: Liverpool 2 - 2 Newcastle
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005, 12:34:46 am »
top work again Adam
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005, 02:16:53 am »
nice one mate cheers.

cant wait to see flo get a run in the 1st team, and to have big djimi back out there.  cant help but have a chuckle every time i see him on the pitch! :D

Offline mercury

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005, 04:26:39 am »
Love these ressie reports.  Top work and many thanks!

Seems like we are playing all the kids barred one or two senior in the reserves.  Is it the same for our oppos? 

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2005, 11:41:36 am »
Great to get a lowdown on our ressies, good work Adam.  By the end of the season, we should see some of them with a stint with the 1st team. Looks like Barragan was left out to give him an Anfield debut, look forward to it.
Doubters to Believers

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2005, 12:00:16 pm »
PS. I think I miss the wolves game, so I will do an away or two to compensate. Sorry I'm on a beach in Spain. :-\

supporters with auburn tresses, Spanish beaches, sounds like the reserves gig for RAWK is quite the métier... :P
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline FinnishRed

• Frog in a liquidiser.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities...
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2005, 12:35:04 pm »
Good report.

Nice to see Sinama scoring again.  ;)

Offline red20

• Main Stander
  • is'nt this football lark great
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 04:37:00 pm »
Thanks for the Reserves match reports Adam,  much  appreciated
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 06:24:03 pm by red20 »
"Bill Shankly 1913-1981 - He Made The People Happy"   And Bob made us even happier

Offline Super Scouse

• Boys Pen
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2005, 12:00:59 pm »
Rafa's comments about the club having six strikers is a FACT, however, Milan has gone to Villa,both Crouch & Mellor are injured,Sinema Pongolle is far from being match fit following his injury, which leaves Morientes & Cisse,both of whom are not scoring.The former is to Benitez,what Hadj Dioef was to Houllier,a complete & utter liability,albeit that he only cost half the price.Last night versus CSKA Sofia he failed to win any aerial balls,which is supposed to be one of his strength's & was on the floor no fewer than ten occassions! While Cisse would be better concentrating on putting the ball in the back of the net,instead the weekly hair style fashion statements. The answer is undoubtably come back Michael Owen, his is the only striker that is going to score a minimum of 25 goals in this current Premier League campaign,which will hopefully be with the Reds & not Newcastle United.By Rafa's own admission after the Middlesbrough,Sunderland & CSKA Sofia games,we created many chances & on another day could have scored many goals.So the need is there,now lets get the player would has & will continue to do it for us MICHAEL OWEN. :butt
« Last Edit: August 24, 2005, 12:01:31 pm by Rushian »

Offline El Diego

• Main Stander
  • Anyone out there?
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2005, 07:03:51 pm »
Both Crouch & Mellor are injured,Sinema Pongolle is far from being match fit following his injury, which leaves Morientes & Cisse,
So signing a new striker is an emergency because Flo and Crouch aren't fit for the next week or so?
The answer is undoubtably come back Michael Owen, his is the only striker that is going to score a minimum of 25 goals in this current Premier League campaign,
The same Micheal Owen who has never once scored 20 league goals in his career. ???
They're out ta get me,
They won't catch me,
I'm fuckin innocent,
They won't break me.....No!

Offline spionkopitedaveg

• Kemlynite
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 09:16:31 pm »
Eavesdropping on convos eh!

And I thought I was nosey for taking a sneaky pic of Rick Parry and Stevie Heighway!

That fella was a pain in the arse shouting 20p a programme though. 20p for a sheet of bloody paper. Every little helps I suppose.

Offline ejh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Boys Pen
  • Barking dog demands attention
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2005, 11:45:09 am »
I have to agree on Guthrie, he was full of potential. IMHO Raven wasn't in that much trouble despite that goal.

That fella was a pain in the arse shouting 20p a programme though. 20p for a sheet of bloody paper. Every little helps I suppose.

Personally I wasn't annoyed, in fact I sort of admired his effort to sell those. Premier League programmes cost 15 times as much, is there really that much more between the covers?