Author Topic: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador  (Read 51000 times)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
Re: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador
« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2016, 11:51:04 pm »
..... And whilst everyone is hating on Owen, everybody still loves Suarez... Despite the fact he wanted to fuck off to Arsenal, had a strop when he wasn't able to, came back for the season then fucked off to Barcelona. Short memories and double standards if you ask me.

Owen came through the academy and fucked off for peanuts at the start of a new era when we were in the Champions League. He said he'd celebrate in front of the Kop in a United shirt and there's footage of him going "oh for fucks sake" when Coutinho scored at OT. Nothing wrong with any of that, he can do what he wants. But he shouldn't have anything more to do with the club.

Suarez had no affinity with the club whatsoever and we weren't even in Europe when he wanted to leave, when he was quite clearly one of the five best players in the world. He's had nothing but positive things to say about us since leaving and left in no bad circumstances.

Different players, different criteria for judging them.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2016, 11:53:36 pm »
I don't and never really have shared the Owen hate from some quarters, but even I raised an eyebrow at this appointment. Still, I'm sure he'll perform the role professionally as that is what he does.

Offline Kopout

• Should really just Logout......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:35 pm »
If you want to see the reaction look here:

https://twitter.com/LFC/status/723149415867781122

Liverpool fans angry, opposition fans mocking us, another masterstroke from the LFC hierarchy. Guess they got bored that there hadn't been LFC drama in the past few months since the ticket debate.

Who gives rats ass about what opposition fans think. esp those bellends on twitter

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2016, 11:54:36 pm »
.... And as for the Man Utd nonsense.... Yes it was stupid but from a professional point of view he was a decorated international elite level player who from what I recall had a choice at the time between joining Man Utd the league champions or Stoke City, its really not that hard to understand why he chose who he chose. His career was fucked as soon as he left us, he missed the biggest night of all in Istanbul and ended up injured at fucking Newcastle for years. FFS give the lad a break its quite clear who had the last laugh

No. Simply put I'll never forget that Smug grin on his face holding that scarf above his head talking about "Sir  Alex" call.

If lads from other countries get it. Why doesn't a lad who was brought through our academy with every opportunity afforded to him get it.

There's some lines you don't Cross.  Playing for that shower who have a large majority of fans singing sickening songs about 89 is one of them.

He's a weapon. the club have got this one badly wrong

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 22, 2016, 12:05:47 am »
.... And as for the Man Utd nonsense.... Yes it was stupid but from a professional point of view he was a decorated international elite level player who from what I recall had a choice at the time between joining Man Utd the league champions or Stoke City, its really not that hard to understand why he chose who he chose. His career was fucked as soon as he left us, he missed the biggest night of all in Istanbul and ended up injured at fucking Newcastle for years. FFS give the lad a break its quite clear who had the last laugh
You've given your opinion and imo been well owned by some of the responses mate. My advice would be to sit back now over this quite controversial and divisive decision by the club  :wave

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2016, 12:08:25 am »
there's footage of him going "oh for fucks sake" when Coutinho scored at OT.

Where's that? Not heard it.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2016, 12:10:43 am »
Never hated him like some but fuck do I want him in any role at our club.

Strange decision.

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2016, 12:15:42 am »
Where's that? Not heard it.

I can't find it sadly mate, it was bouncing around on Twitter after the match. It was definitely him though, nobody else has such a horrendous monotone voice.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #208 on: April 22, 2016, 12:17:37 am »
I can't find it sadly mate, it was bouncing around on Twitter after the match. It was definitely him though, nobody else has such a horrendous monotone voice.

Its absolutely not him as he was working. Just some other manc wool

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #209 on: April 22, 2016, 12:18:09 am »

I'll give him a break but not an ambassadorial role, I just don't see him as the face of Liverpool. I don't think you'd see Manchester United giving Carlos Tevez a similiar role.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #210 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:23 am »
..... And whilst everyone is hating on Owen, everybody still loves Suarez... Despite the fact he wanted to fuck off to Arsenal, had a strop when he wasn't able to, came back for the season then fucked off to Barcelona. Short memories and double standards if you ask me.

Don't see him smiling below a Man U scarf do you though?

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 22, 2016, 12:20:28 am »
This is a pretty laughable decision. Club is weirdly out of touch at times.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #212 on: April 22, 2016, 12:24:06 am »
Does this mean we won't have to listen to the c*nt commentate during our games?

Sorry, but I don't agree with this decision.

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: April 22, 2016, 12:27:31 am »
Owen flirted with The Devil.   No forgiveness.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2016, 12:28:54 am »

Seriously?

Suarez didn't run down his contract and leave for a fraction of his worth. In fact he signed a new one that enabled us to collect the highest fee we've ever received for a player.
Suarez didn't come through our academy, had no prior connection to the club and left to live in the city where his wife's family live.
Suarez didn't sign for Manchester fucking United.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2016, 12:33:13 am »
Fuck Michael Owen. Once a Judas, always a Judas.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2016, 12:55:13 am »
There is a plus side to this role for him, an international ambassador must presumably leave the country regularly so he'd have less chance to commentate on matches.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #217 on: April 22, 2016, 12:58:29 am »
All the arguments go up in smoke.

His Smug grin tells you everything

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #218 on: April 22, 2016, 01:00:14 am »
I don't hate the man, I'm sane enough to believe you can choose to do what you want with your life without being vilified for it. Nevertheless you make choices and they create who you are. Michael's choices suggested that he veiwed Liverpool as an opportunity to advance his own career, nothing more and that he regarded the club as no more special than any other club.

Fine, no problem.

But please, we are asking him to go round the world suggesting that Liverpool should be a brand that others should choose, for godsakes, the man didn't want it it himself, how can he sell it to others. When he gets asked in Singapore whether fans over there should support LFC, United or Real Madrid what is he going to say, choose Liverpool, I didn't. He'd probably get more respect as an Everton ambassador, would at least have some plausibility.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 22, 2016, 01:05:51 am »
I don't hate the man, I'm sane enough to believe you can choose to do what you want with your life without being vilified for it. Nevertheless you make choices and they create who you are. Michael's choices suggested that he veiwed Liverpool as an opportunity to advance his own career, nothing more and that he regarded the club as no more special than any other club.

He does seem such a weird choice when it is not like we are short of ex-players who would be far more suited to this role than him.

Online Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #220 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:19 am »
He was my very favourite, back when. Loved that stuff.

Then when he fucked off he just annoyed me to no end.

Since all this time now I just think of him as some guy with horses.

Given his atrocious and dust-dull football commentary to date, popping up on late night commercials selling Mighty Red keychains and pillow slips in Greater Eurasia might just turn out to be his natural fit in the post-career football life of it all. Mike and Mighty are gonna storm the beaches together.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline IgoDirk

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 22, 2016, 01:20:10 am »

Fine, no problem.

But please, we are asking him to go round the world suggesting that Liverpool should be a brand that others should choose, for godsakes, the man didn't want it it himself, how can he sell it to others. When he gets asked in Singapore whether fans over there should support LFC, United or Real Madrid what is he going to say, choose Liverpool, I didn't. He'd probably get more respect as an Everton ambassador, would at least have some plausibility.

Exactly. He was an excellent player, but all in all a mercenary. I don't think he's said anything that's out of order to disparage the club (I know there's been mentions of kissing the United badge, and saying 'Fucks sake' when Coutinho scored at OT but I'm taking those with a pinch of salt until I see them), and I can see why he made those transfers. The United move came at a time when he didn't look like he was going to get a chance at the very top again, and the Madrid transfer was an opportunity to play alongside the likes of Figo, Ronaldo, Graveson and Zidane. But saying that, both moves showed that he didn't have any deep underlying loyalty to Liverpool in particular.
But when you're a player, you're not a fan. I've got to earn a living, provide for my family. I supported Everton as a kid. I never supported Real Madrid, but I played for them. It's a job opportunity, just like anyone else's work.
And that's why I agree he's a poor choice as an ambassador to 'sell' our club.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #222 on: April 22, 2016, 01:24:03 am »
Look I hate him as much as the next man. More so as I loved him.

The FFS when Phil scored is clearly not him.

Drop it

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #223 on: April 22, 2016, 01:26:51 am »
You've given your opinion and imo been well owned by some of the responses mate. My advice would be to sit back now over this quite controversial and divisive decision by the club  :wave

Owned? Haha in what shape or form? Differing opinions thats all, get over yourself.
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Online jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 22, 2016, 01:29:37 am »
Don't care. Best of luck to him. He's done his time IMO.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline SquirrelandGman

• 24 Hour Party People Plastic Face Carnt Smile (White Out)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shagging a sheep somewhere.
« Reply #225 on: April 22, 2016, 01:58:28 am »
I'd rather have djimi traore as international ambassador.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: April 22, 2016, 02:20:42 am »
I don't hate Owen, but I am a bit embarrassed by him in general.
There could have been so many more people to choose from. Clubs really need to understand their fans more.

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #227 on: April 22, 2016, 02:23:38 am »
i dont think he should be an LFC ambassador if im honest, fuck em,
YNWA

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #228 on: April 22, 2016, 02:24:25 am »
I wonder if the Mancs tore down statues/pictures of Matt Busby when they realised he played for us?

When MB was manager, there was no way near the rivalry there is now.
It can't be used as a comparison.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Reds Flag

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: April 22, 2016, 02:33:00 am »
I don't hate the guy, but it's as clear as day that he couldn't give two shits about Liverpool, along with having all the personality of plywood. If the role of 'international ambassador' is to win new fans, he possesses absolutely none of the qualities needed - zero charisma, for starters - and younger people, if they remember Owen at all, are far more likely to remember him as a Utd player or a washed-up journeyman than as a teenager banging goals in for us. He isn't written into our history like Fowler or Rush, and is far more likely to put an audience to sleep than persuade them of our qualities - and why would he anyway, when he patently feels nothing for our club, and most of the time barely seems to have any enthusiasm for football in general? Absolutely awful choice.

Offline ghost77uk

• Kopite
    • Steve Kingsman Photography
« Reply #230 on: April 22, 2016, 02:41:57 am »
Very strange choice by the powers that be IMO! He was something else when he came through, but left such a bitter taste in the mouth with his move to Madrid...Didn't he say on Sly Sports just before the move that he was signing a new contract and then a few days later was paraded in front of the Madrid media? That was a tough pill to swallow, but going to Utd was crossing way over the line!! I get it...Stoke or Utd? Well it's a pretty easy decision...It'd be Stoke all the way if it were me!!

Of all the former players and Legends I'm pretty sure the club could have offered the role to someone far more deserving and to someone that just love LFC! MO sadly doesn't! He now just gets to travel the world first class on LFC dime!

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: April 22, 2016, 03:33:56 am »
Don't care. Best of luck to him. He's done his time IMO.

Agreed.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline nozza

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: April 22, 2016, 04:04:32 am »
Anyone remember his song ?......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm97D-d4_hM

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #233 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:37 am »
Look I hate him as much as the next man. More so as I loved him.

The FFS when Phil scored is clearly not him.

Drop it

I stand corrected, my bad. You can see where the confusion came from though...

https://twitter.com/jay_castley/status/710859291826262018

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #234 on: April 22, 2016, 04:43:37 am »
Dreadful decision this.

John Barnes' mobile mustn't have been charged when the club were ringing around.

Right?
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline BEAST

• IEBOY - TIME FOR BOCK BOCK!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sturridge dance
« Reply #235 on: April 22, 2016, 05:22:20 am »
Who gives a shit?  He's still irrelevant.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #236 on: April 22, 2016, 05:47:42 am »
Why him when our club has so many legends?  :butt
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2016, 06:03:25 am »

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/2083163/1207915993/name/Michael+Owen+Brochure+2009.pdf

Forget about everything he did, where your loyalties lie for a minute and look at this. What a grade A fucking gobshite of an invidual, it`s David Brent on speed.

"Michael Owen, the man, the opportunity, the brand value". "The athlete, the ambassador, the icon".

His brand values?

Numerous as he is fit & healthy, first class, successful, young, dynamic, committed, sincere, clean & fresh, good looking, global, enthusiastic, stylish, respected, devoted, charismatic, articulate, technical, artistic, aspirational, cool and finally he is one resilient kind of guy.

What a knobhead.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2016, 06:08:15 am »
We've managed to choose the most boring human being alive to be our international ambassador?  Super.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2016, 06:33:37 am »
He does seem such a weird choice when it is not like we are short of ex-players who would be far more suited to this role than him.

Even from his generation there r so many retired ex players who would be far better qualified - Hyppia, Luis Garcia, carragher, etc

The problem with Owen is that liverpool never seemed to be more than a stepping stone for him.