Author Topic: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador  (Read 50917 times)

Offline Dam Sodd

• Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: Michael Owen LFC International Ambassador
« Reply #160 on: April 21, 2016, 09:16:53 pm »
Prepare the helicopter
Cool down and play

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #161 on: April 21, 2016, 09:17:35 pm »
I think you're forgetting that we finished woefully adrift of Arsenal Chelsea and United in 2004. Granted, we finished top 4, but we finished on a very low points tally. Luckily for us, Newcastle were our closest chasers in 5th on something like 55 points. Bear in mind that back then, we could get away with being abysmally shit and still keep our top 4 status. The league was a lot less competitive then than it is now.

We had slipped a long way during the latter stages of Houlliers reign. Owen probably thought he had little chance of ever winning a league title with us. And given he was a recent Ballon d'Or winner at that time, I can understand his reluctance to sign a new deal in 2004. After all, it did take Rafa 4 years to get us challenging for the league

You're also wrong about him snubbing us for Newcastle. It was Rafa who snubbed him. I can understand people being annoyed with him for signing for United and feeling like it was a slap in the face. But to say he "fucked us over" just isn't true. That's an OTT inaccurate account of what happened. Sorry, but it just is
Sure, he had a right to leave. But surely he shouldn't be running his contract down, thus leaving us with peanuts. If he left for 20 mil or something to go to Madrid, i'd be ok with that. He has a right to be a winner and play at the highest level.

Im fairly sure he snubbed us for Newcastle, then Rafa rejected the choice to sign him after that.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #162 on: April 21, 2016, 09:19:58 pm »
Judas is a fucking c*nt, who fucked us off right when he thought he's bigger than the club. His career changed direction from that moment. Anyone who doesn't think that way doesn't understand that Owen is a c*nt that fucked us off.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #163 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:30 pm »
When Owen came back we didnt want him so he signed for the Mancs. The choice then was ours. Was he supposed to be unemployed because we didnt want him ?

I hate the Mancs who belittle Ince and forget all the things he did for them cos he came back and played for us for a couple of years. We are bigger than that. Owen is well known throughout the world and he is selling LFC to sponsors and others thats all that matters.

I can't really respond to that because I'm so far away from that way of thinking that I don't know what to say. 
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
As a kid he was with United. We pinched him from them.

As a TV pundit, he's National League standard in my opinion. As a Liverpool centre forward in his prime, he was unplayable and made so many of his goals for himself. As regards the love of the Kop, he could never get past our adoration of Robbie Fowler.

I think cheap shots at him now, demean us as fair minded Liverpool fans.

Finally, I am pretty appalled that we pay ex players to do this role anyway. Surely, there are plenty of good ex players who would do this for expenses and their love of the club. Or, am I hopelessly naive? 

Offline missis sumner

• Not giving it up for Capon, not even when he understands her yet none of her friends does.....
  • Kopite
  • G'wan, my son
« Reply #165 on: April 21, 2016, 09:27:30 pm »
Does this mean I don't have to listen to him on BT Sport anymore?  :D

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2016, 09:28:41 pm »
If I recall correctly he had one year left on his contract when Rafa took over. He had been plagued with injuries during the 2 years leading up to Rafa's arrival. Madrid had been sniffing around him since he had won the (then) Ballon d'Or in 2001. I also recall Perez stating on a number of occasions that Madrid were intent on signing him.

Eventually the club accepted an offer for him. That's why he left for Madrid. It wasn't Owen's fault that the best deal Parry managed to negotiate was 10 million plus Nunez. So again I ask, how did Owen fuck us over?

He stringed us along about signing a contract, we ended up with him only having 1 year left on his contract. Thats why we got 8m plus Nunez.

Then there is the fact that a Welsh Liverpool player was only interested in playing for England.  That was always his priority.

A lot of Liverpool fans dont like Owen. You may like him but I hope you are in the minority.

All that without mentioning where he went after Newcastle

If you want to know what a fucking sickening rat he is watch the BT coverage of the Liverpool United game then watch the Dortmund game. As other have said he must have either been appointed or in negotiating when we beat BVB. You can tell in the way the weasel is nicer about us.

As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline jamie_c

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2016, 09:30:30 pm »
Judas is a fucking c*nt, who fucked us off right when he thought he's bigger than the club. His career changed direction from that moment. Anyone who doesn't think that way doesn't understand that Owen is a c*nt that fucked us off.

Quite the wordsmith aren't you....

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2016, 09:31:28 pm »
Didn't he grow up as a Bitter?  ???

so did most of our legends so your point is?
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2016, 09:34:44 pm »
Nothing against the bloke as a person.He did right by what was right for him. He wasn't loyal and he shafted us,end of............. but that's modern football. He probably feels 100% Liverpool but I and many others feel that he's 100% not Liverpool.

He's a person who played for us, and he did a good job, and that's all. But he showed far less loyalty and passion than a lot of other less talented players like Mad Eric  who bust a gut for us..and did it with total regard for our club. Owen didn't.

Wrong wrong decision by the club to make this appointment, despite his media savvy and "respect from the UEFA football family". Like the club's decision to sell half-half-scarves in the club shop and loads of other odd-ball decisions.

Most of us know that this is the barmy globalisation of our brand. Thankfully, we are still able to give a fuck, and once every now and again, the Kop lets the ties know that no matter what they negotiate, we can still come toghether as a force to be reckoned with.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2016, 09:38:07 pm »
Don't see a problem with this. Product of the Academy, successful Liverpool striker, winner of the Ballon d'Or...
Perfect ambassador for the club: Someone who came through, managed to get himself into the 1st team based on his training at LFC and reached incredible heights.

That's who you want as an ambassador really.

won us a FA cup along with Henchoz goalkeeping abilities as well.

He made some mistakes which i will always hold against him as a blot on his career,

but some of the macho comedy angst in this thread is just so funny:
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2016, 09:39:39 pm »
Owen has openly said he's a fan though so that puts your theory in the shitter.

He's also said he's an Everton fan and signed for the mancs so believe what you like.

Offline redalways

• ...so needs a pair of clean knickers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2016, 09:40:56 pm »
I can't really respond to that because I'm so far away from that way of thinking that I don't know what to say.

You can say that football is now much more of a business and LFC is a global sporting brand. Sad but true.

It needs "Legends" to peddle the brand. The owners of the club arent stupid they wont have Owen peddling the brand in Liverpool because he is a divisive figure .. But in the US Far east etc he is well known and will keep existing sponsors happy.

Thats the reality I am afraid.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2016, 09:43:35 pm »
He's also said he's an Everton fan and signed for the mancs so believe what you like.

So are you suggesting hes the kind of guy who can quickly change allegiance to suit his circumstances?

That doesn't sound like him. Hes always come accros as a loyal guy  :-X
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline kenworthy

• but Deirdre isn't
  • Legacy Fan
  • He hits them from 40 yards...
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:09 pm »
I'm not one for holding grudges, but what a seemingly uninformed/clueless decision by the club. And besides the obvious, he has the charisma of a wet paper bag in winter. Ambassador? How so?
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05
               YNWA

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2016, 09:45:22 pm »
so did most of our legends so your point is?

Point is Geoff in that article he quotes himself as a Liverpool fan.  This is news to me. ???

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2016, 09:47:52 pm »
Point is Geoff in that article he quotes himself as a Liverpool fan.  This is news to me. ???

could be a born again Liverpool fan ;)

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2016, 09:50:43 pm »
What the shit?
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2016, 09:51:27 pm »
Is this a fucking joke?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2016, 09:52:08 pm »
You may like him but I hope you are in the minority.

For the record, I neither like him or hate him. He's just an ex player to me.

I'm not arsed either way. I don't give a fuck that he signed for the mancs. Nor do I give a fuck that he's now an ambassador for us

I was just pointing out that the notion he fucked us over isn't entirely accurate. That's all
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2016, 09:55:52 pm »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #181 on: April 21, 2016, 10:00:34 pm »

I'm not arsed either way. I don't give a fuck that he signed for the mancs. Nor do I give a fuck that he's now an ambassador for us

I was just pointing out that the notion he fucked us over isn't entirely accurate. That's all
i dont hate him, I just dont care about him in anyway.

He's not exactly "ambassadorial material" though, is he?

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
« Reply #182 on: April 21, 2016, 10:03:04 pm »

It's totally and completely accurate.....the reason has been explained many many times in this thread. I would guess over 90% of reds feel this way. Maybe just maybe they are right?
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #183 on: April 21, 2016, 10:08:06 pm »
He's only a bizarre selection if they're going to have him traipsing around Liverpool shaking hands. That's not the plan, I imagine. They'll probably have his role/appearances focused on the far east and more distant markets where this sentiment of betrayal (felt most strongly by scousers, i think) will be less of a problem.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: April 21, 2016, 10:09:02 pm »
It's totally and completely accurate.....the reason has been explained many many times in this thread. I would guess over 90% of reds feel this way. Maybe just maybe they are right?

i know RAWK is the best forum but i don't think we can claim to have 90% of reds in here. Mind you i also doubt that you know what 90% of the reds are thinking as well.

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #185 on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:19 pm »

Got news for ya.

We do give a fuck that he signed for the mancs and now says he's a Liverpool fan.

I heard him say this during the Dortmund games which surprised me as he has been quiet about any connection with our club. He was booed soundly at Anfield a few times so he knew the score.

The new found support has come about since he was approached and now appointed by the club. It has been in discussion for a few weeks I expect.

He ran his contract down by rejecting new offers on money grounds when in reality Owen and his agent wanted a transfer and we finished up with low fee for an international player.

This is not a popular appointment for Reds who have followed his career.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: April 21, 2016, 10:24:32 pm »
i know RAWK is the best forum but i don't think we can claim to have 90% of reds in here. Mind you i also doubt that you know what 90% of the reds are thinking as well.

I don't claim to know what 90% of reds are thinking...that's why I said 'guess'....its just my estimate based on talking to other reds about this when his name has cropped up over the years. For me the betrayal felt when he ran his contract down while stringing along the fans is why I feel the way I do....if he was to apologise or show contrition in some way then maybe I would view him differently. I don't care about any of the stuff after he left us.
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #187 on: April 21, 2016, 10:26:23 pm »
Ambassador Owen really has mastered the phrase "Dink it in".

Offline xstoofer

• Main Stander
« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:16 pm »
Snide little cnut who takes every opportunity to undermine the club maybe its my Red ears but I can't stand to listen to the little gobshite

Did bang them in tho...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 10:35:58 pm by xstoofer »
"For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared
to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2016, 10:52:58 pm »
John Barnes has no formal role in our club in an ambassadorial role, and Michael Owen has

Just think about that for a moment
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline lukeb1981

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2016, 11:21:30 pm »
John Barnes has no formal role in our club in an ambassadorial role, and Michael Owen has

Just think about that for a moment
Sicken your bollox wouldnt it?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #191 on: April 21, 2016, 11:23:31 pm »
Prepare the helicopter

Please welcome the newest LFC Ambassador...Mr Ryan Babel!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:04 pm »
Ironically, our Ambassador's first task may entail him to be suited up in LFC finest with his liverbird on his suit jacket to welcome the international  manager of the opponents for this weekends encounter.

'Welcome to Anfield Mr Benitez', said Mr Owen with a wry smile on his face, 'let me show you around...'

Offline Gaz123456

• Legacy Fan
  • 2005 - The best and worst year of my life
    • Elite Financial Planning Consultants
« Reply #193 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:38 pm »
Just wrong.

There are so many other more deserving ex players who deserve the honour (and it IS an honour) first.

Offline Super MAC

• ....and a nice pair of trousers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #194 on: April 21, 2016, 11:35:56 pm »
Let It Go!
All governments are lying cocksuckers - Bill Hicks

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2016, 11:36:48 pm »
He has a right to be a winner and play at the highest level.

But by leaving us he gave up the chance to win the greatest club prize of the lot.

Didn't really help did it.

I think the brochure attached did a lot of harm, the words committed, devoted and sincere rang a little hollow with LFC fans and his stated desire to rejoin Liverpool was undermined by the fact that he'd maximised his wages at the clubs expense by the way he handled his contract, presumably the ridiculous wages that Newcastle were offering also played a part. I'm sure if he'd really wanted to come back to Liverpool he could have found a way £110k a week is £6m a year and Real wanted a £9m profit straight out of LFC, he could have held out with them in a similiar manner he did with us, I'm sure/

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/2083163/1207915993/name/Michael+Owen+Brochure+2009.pdf

If they have done it to ensure he only opens his mouth when he is in another country then that's another matter.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:39:46 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #196 on: April 21, 2016, 11:41:25 pm »
..... And whilst everyone is hating on Owen, everybody still loves Suarez... Despite the fact he wanted to fuck off to Arsenal, had a strop when he wasn't able to, came back for the season then fucked off to Barcelona. Short memories and double standards if you ask me.

Offline Super MAC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #197 on: April 21, 2016, 11:47:22 pm »
.... And as for the Man Utd nonsense.... Yes it was stupid but from a professional point of view he was a decorated international elite level player who from what I recall had a choice at the time between joining Man Utd the league champions or Stoke City, its really not that hard to understand why he chose who he chose. His career was fucked as soon as he left us, he missed the biggest night of all in Istanbul and ended up injured at fucking Newcastle for years. FFS give the lad a break its quite clear who had the last laugh
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 11:49:03 pm by Super MAC »

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #198 on: April 21, 2016, 11:49:01 pm »
Ironically, our Ambassador's first task may entail him to be suited up in LFC finest with his liverbird on his suit jacket to welcome the international  manager of the opponents for this weekends encounter.

'Welcome to Anfield Mr Benitez', said Mr Owen with a wry smile on his face, 'let me show you around...'
Yeah finally get his revenge for this "Rafa Snub "
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".

Offline legendkiller

• Legacy Fan
  • Never get out of bed before noon
« Reply #199 on: April 21, 2016, 11:50:25 pm »
..... And whilst everyone is hating on Owen, everybody still loves Suarez... Despite the fact he wanted to fuck off to Arsenal, had a strop when he wasn't able to, came back for the season then fucked off to Barcelona. Short memories and double standards if you ask me.
Signed a 4 year contract and the club recieved  75 million to invest in squad .
" I asked for a sofa and they bought me a lamp ".