Author Topic: Daniel Sturridge: You don't know what you've got till its gone? (Stat Warfare)  (Read 41356 times)

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
Re: Daniel Sturridge: You don't know what you've got till its gone?
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2016, 11:15:57 am »
His interview today

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/KexFSh9X_Z0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/KexFSh9X_Z0</a>
Moronic questions as per, why do they employ these empty drones?
"We must turn from doubters into believers" - Jurgen Klopp

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2016, 11:28:12 am »
Moronic questions as per, why do they employ these empty drones?

He just comes over as so surly and unlikeable. Also you can tell from that how lazy he is ... slouchy twat

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2016, 11:29:12 am »
Easiest song for him is just his name to the 'hang the DJ' refrain at the end of Panic.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2016, 11:32:00 am »
Whilst there's some truth to a lot of that, I think 'casually dancing his way through games and celebrations' is very wide of the mark.

If you look to his celebrations, he's only dancing when we have the freedom to have a little fun. You remember it more because its 'the dance', it's what he does.

But you also need to remember his winners/equalisers at Everton and Villa, him sprinting to Rodger's after he grabs the goal against United etc. Or him being balling his eyes out at Arsenal 13-14 or West Ham this season.

He's a cool cat but he's an emotional guy.

I should have added in my post that I don't think Sturridge doesn't care or doesn't care as much as any other player, I just think not showing it might alter people's opinions of him. Which is entirely their issue - not his.

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »
I should have added in my post that I don't think Sturridge doesn't care or doesn't care as much as any other player, I just think not showing it might alter people's opinions of him. Which is entirely their issue - not his.
I think some also retain something of a mark against him for his supposed attitude problem when allegedly wanting Chelsea's money and leaving as a teenager.

One of the positive things about Sturridge though is that this stuff doesn't really seem to affect his self belief or his game. His attitude to pain, his willingness to work and his 'body language' are much discussed, but nothing impacts his belief or ability to score goals.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:06:54 pm by redmark »
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline mickeydocs

• Legacy Fan
  • Jurgen Klopp - best Liverpool coach since Paisley
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2016, 12:25:43 pm »
Sturridge when fit is our best player. Better than Coutinho for me.

Sturridge could become a real Anfield great if he can stay fit and focused.
He has an opportunity to learn from an amazing manager.
Coutinho and Sturridge have a great understanding, a partnership that elevates both their games.
It’s easy to believe when it’s going well.

Offline Bunter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2016, 12:44:22 pm »
How precious to do you have to be to get wound up about typical moody striker behaviour on the pitch when things aren't going well? I bet some here would rather have beauts like fucking Jimmy Bullard running around acting the tit and being mediocre than world class performers that are a bit surly.

Can imagine some if we had a moaning, sourpuss like Ronaldo here.. "Oooh well yes he IS banging in 40 a season.. But he's just not for me.."

I love him, thinks he a brilliant character and if anyone's seen his interviews they'll agree, he's got bags of charisma.

"oooh just cant warm to him" - Fuck off.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 12:47:15 pm by Bunter »

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2016, 12:48:15 pm »
I reckon most people want to sell him because of his injury record. Not because of his body language. Or his attitude.

If he was fit & banging in goals most of the time, no matter how poor his attitude is I reckon most people would tolerate it.

Suarez bites people. He tried to engineer a move away from the club.  But because he scores a lot of goals people embraced him, warts and all.

The article is not just about keeping him though is it? The article is about the level of support he gets as well. A better than 1 in 2 striker who has been here 3 years and only ever talks respectfully about the club and yet very rarely hears his name sung?

Michael Owen was never taken to the hearts of supporters in the same way Fowler was but his name was still sung/chanted a few times a game when he played, and it's not like he was always injury free and never had people going on about his attitude. It's crazy.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2016, 12:50:43 pm »
Can we just agree on one thing. Whether or not folks agree with Yorky's sentiments within the paragraph itself [and as Yorky says he himself does actually - and rightly so - rate Sturridge very highly as a player], what a rare and fabulous snippet of quality writing the paragraph is. Dare I say - Sturridge-like in it's streamlined rapier quality! Unlike so much of the other shite on the forums [much of it my own], it stands up to being read over and over again because it's so fucking good. Contrast the Anfield Wrap guy's piece which to put it mildly is shall we say...nowt special in terms of writing quality.

:)

The thing is such things matter to me - as distinct from the actual bollocks of the opinions that prompt such pieces and which are so hugely influenced by the ephemeral nature of a particular footballer's latest form guide. I mean when all is said and done both the respective contents of the pieces have their origins in the matter of Daniel's contrasting form since coming back from the most debilitating injury period imaginable. Yorky's was written prior to Daniel showing vastly improved workrate, movement, ability and body language in the Stoke game whilst the Anfield Wrap article has come following that vastly improved and altogether more promising performance in the Stoke game. In fact some might say [who moi?] that the Wrap piece amounted to little more than an opportunist snide attempt at point scoring and would never have been written had Daniel not displayed in the Stoke game that he's now so clearly on the road back to his finest form.

Where I will add something that flies right in the face of Yorky's sentiments is that whenever I've seen 'off-field' interviews or cameo videos of Sturridge I 'd quite confidently say dear old Danny is the most captivatingly cheerful fun loving Liverpool player I've ever seen interviewed.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2016, 12:55:34 pm »
As for the lack of adulation.

I think DAVO's right Yorky.

There's so many other true greats who never had the adulation some seem to think Daniel is being deprived of by our nasty spiteful match going fan-base!!

In contrast some lesser light players had disproportionately huge adulation from our fantastic, warm-hearted match going fan base!!

;D

In the former camp - too many to mention but off the top of my decrepit bonce Tommy Smith, Peter Thompson, Cally [only sung on the away coaches], Stevo, Steve Heighway [when he was playing not 20 years after], John Aldridge, Jocky [very rarely sung]

In the latter camp - Bobby Graham [sorry VBG  ;D - I loved him too but I doubt even you would term him a 'great'], Alun Evans, Tony Hateley, Joey Jones,

I'm sure there's oodles more examples down the years.

I mean kevin keegan who basically was responsible with shanks for everything that happened post 1972 hardly got the sort of adulation from the Kop that his efforts so richly deserved. Sure we had the KK chant but it was never anything approaching what it should have been.

PS - Don't get me wrong btw - I'd love nothing better than to be part of the entire ground bouncing to some hitherto unpenned deafening Daniel Sturridge anthem!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:12:32 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »
Having listened to his interviews including one for TAW, I've never seen this supposed arrogance that some mention. He comes across as very normal and down to earth, quite disarmingly so.

I love him and make no secret of the fact he's my favourite player in this team. His goalscoring record is phenomenal and he's such a complete striker. Scores with both feet, with his head, from distance and links up so well with the likes of Coutinho. I admire just how much time he seems to have in the box, always twisting and turn to find the right angle for a shot. He can spend months out on the treatment table, yet first game back seems to carry on where he left off.

I desperately hope his injuries worries are behind him and he can get a full pre-season under his belt.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2016, 01:43:24 pm »
I just can not ever understand the bitterness some have towards Daniel.

All this complete and utter trivial stuff about what people 'think' they know of him. Assumptions that change week to week of him, he must honestly sit there sometimes and think 'what I am doing wrong??'

He comes across a really down to earth, fun loving guy, he's unbelievably talented, clearly hate's not performing well and wants to stay on the pitch as much as possible. Everything else in-between is just trivial bullshit used to not like him, especially critical comments about his faith (words fail me on this).

I hope every match for a Sturridge chant to get going, even some small sign of appreciation.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2016, 01:51:49 pm »
Humungous D is a joy...
I've always loved watching him a red shirt...

Something about him that really appeals to me...

And...... He likes a chip....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
I just can not ever understand the bitterness some have towards Daniel.

All this complete and utter trivial stuff about what people 'think' they know of him. Assumptions that change week to week of him, he must honestly sit there sometimes and think 'what I am doing wrong??'

He comes across a really down to earth, fun loving guy, he's unbelievably talented, clearly hate's not performing well and wants to stay on the pitch as much as possible. Everything else in-between is just trivial bullshit used to not like him, especially critical comments about his faith (words fail me on this).

I hope every match for a Sturridge chant to get going, even some small sign of appreciation.

I don't think it's bitterness Andy. The only bitterness is towards Hodgson whose callous self-serving stupidity is the sole cause of Daniel's horrific injury problems. I think it's worry about whether Sturridge will rediscover his mojo and [unreasonable] impatience at the time it is taking him to do so.

In fairness to Yorky - if you'd have been at the Spurs game then you'd have understood what prompted his comments regarding Daniel's whole demeanour in that game. Put it this way - if Origi had played from the start then I think we'd now be 3 points better off and really contesting that 4th place. Daniel in that game - bar his superb and crucial part in the goal - was fucking awful. He offered very little. He was minimal trouble to their back four - who could have brought their deck chairs for all the concern daniel caused them - in that his movement, involvement, competing was just so limited. His contribution when he did get the ball was equally limited. He gave the impression of someone who simply wasn't arsed. He arrived without failure at each challenge conveniently just as the ball was cleared. And yeah, his body language was awful.

Having re-watched that game on telly it's clear a lot of the inactivity and lack of movement that frustrated so many who were at the game simply didn't come across on the telly. Hence the indignation concerning some of the adverse criticism - understandable I guess - from those who only watched on the telly

Contrast when he came on at Dortmund and his entire 90 minutes in the Stoke game. In both we saw an entirely different Daniel. In this game he was fully involved, fully committed, full of running. his demeanour was entirely positive, his class fully evident. Whilst still not at his incredible best, he showed everyone that he was well on the road to re-discovering the sensational form of the player who 18 months or so earlier had simply bossed the game down at White hart lane and that day - just prior to hodgson fucking him and us up - he had looked a class apart from every other player on the pitch. World class that day - no doubt.

Hopefully, a return to such form is not that far away. Tonight would be most appropriate.

;D

Offline Kopulator

• Main Stander
  • Even the scoreboard's red!
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »
I don't like Sturridge...oh no, I love him.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2016, 02:20:22 pm »
Talk of selling him is just ludicrous. Scored 40 in 64 for us.

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: April 14, 2016, 02:22:14 pm »
Humungous D is a joy...
I've always loved watching him a red shirt...

Something about him that really appeals to me...

And...... He likes a chip....

Yeah, love watching him even when he's not at his best. Though I can't put my finger on why exactly...

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: April 14, 2016, 02:25:30 pm »
Yeah, love watching him even when he's not at his best. Though I can't put my finger on why exactly...

Because he's extremely cool and extremely gifted.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline SlowRap

• SlowCrapAllOverTheBoards. No longer appealing! Apparently not a bastard. But no denial of being sarcastic and having no clue. Interesting. Fist pumps all the way down the stairs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #58 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:16 pm »
The praying thing, I think it’s more to do with getting in the zone – it’s close to meditation and a good ritual to have to get into the right frame of mind.

I’ve been thinking about this for ages and the reason I guess most can’t warm up to him is that he’s just too cool. Suarez is a big lovable dork really, who’s also a mental bastard, a lad that worked in Tesco told me Suarez would often come in and buy loads of sweets…for himself. Origi is just a kid who’s going through a good patch of form. Sturridge is A list, we can’t really relate to that, he hangs around with Drake – Suarez plays monopoly with Lucas – I think that’s why “He’s harder to love.”

I've got a feeling that Origi is the real deal, from a couple of games I watched but mainly his interviews there seems to be something about him.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:58 pm »
Only in this country is confidence and self belief deemed a bad thing. It's why we don't produce players like Ronaldo or Messi.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: April 14, 2016, 02:42:47 pm »
Only in this country is confidence and self belief deemed a bad thing. It's why we don't produce players like Ronaldo or Messi.

Confidence and self belief aka arrogance and cockiness. It's fucking ludicrous really, when you have banged in as many as Sturridge you have every right to shout about your ability.

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #61 on: April 14, 2016, 02:46:47 pm »
Boils down to jealousy?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2016, 02:48:33 pm »
The praying thing, I think it’s more to do with getting in the zone – it’s close to meditation and a good ritual to have to get into the right frame of mind.

I’ve been thinking about this for ages and the reason I guess most can’t warm up to him is that he’s just too cool. Suarez is a big lovable dork really, who’s also a mental bastard, a lad that worked in Tesco told me Suarez would often come in and buy loads of sweets…for himself. Origi is just a kid who’s going through a good patch of form. Sturridge is A list, we can’t really relate to that, he hangs around with Drake – Suarez plays monopoly with Lucas – I think that’s why “He’s harder to love.”

The cool ones among us relate to Sturridge just fine ;).

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2016, 02:50:10 pm »
Reasons (not all, but most, and in no particular order) of why people haven't taken to him fully. It's a la carte, take your pick of what you'd like:

1) Played for Chelsea
2) Considers playing for England an honor
3) The dance celebration
4) Looking grumpy when being subbed off
5) Injury problems
6) Apparent attitude problems prior to playing for Liverpool
7) Openly talks about Jesus
8 ) Apparently doesn't work hard enough or press enough on the pitch
9) An ego, apparently only he has or some strikers have.

I'll be the first to admit, I wasn't enthused when we signed him. But I've taken to him like a moth takes to light. His interviews and off-field moments that we get to glimpse are an absolute breath of fresh air compared to the usually mind-numbingly dull footballers who have just as big an ego as Daniel does.

I love the lad, and that's why his kit is the only other one I've got besides Gerrard's.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 02:52:11 pm by Lone Star Red »
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2016, 02:51:11 pm »

You should start a thread about how cool you think he is.

'Daniel Sturridge is cool as fuck'

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2016, 02:53:16 pm »

There's a big difference between self belief/confidence and being arrogant and cocky.  Arrogance and being cocky is the reason why most people dislike Ronaldo.  It's the self promotion that get's people annoyed. 

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:08 pm »
Aside from his fitness, if you have any other issue with Sturridge and think we should sell him, then you need to have a word with yourself.

Absolute joy of a player to watch. Hope he bangs some goals in today.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2016, 02:55:47 pm »
I don't think it's bitterness Andy. The only bitterness is towards Hodgson whose callous self-serving stupidity is the sole cause of Daniel's horrific injury problems. I think it's worry about whether Sturridge will rediscover his mojo and [unreasonable] impatience at the time it is taking him to do so.

In fairness to Yorky - if you'd have been at the Spurs game then you'd have understood what prompted his comments regarding Daniel's whole demeanour in that game. Put it this way - if Origi had played from the start then I think we'd now be 3 points better off and really contesting that 4th place. Daniel in that game - bar his superb and crucial part in the goal - was fucking awful. He offered very little. He was minimal trouble to their back four - who could have brought their deck chairs for all the concern daniel caused them - in that his movement, involvement, competing was just so limited. His contribution when he did get the ball was equally limited. He gave the impression of someone who simply wasn't arsed. He arrived without failure at each challenge conveniently just as the ball was cleared. And yeah, his body language was awful.

Having re-watched that game on telly it's clear a lot of the inactivity and lack of movement that frustrated so many who were at the game simply didn't come across on the telly. Hence the indignation concerning some of the adverse criticism - understandable I guess - from those who only watched on the telly

Contrast when he came on at Dortmund and his entire 90 minutes in the Stoke game. In both we saw an entirely different Daniel. In this game he was fully involved, fully committed, full of running. his demeanour was entirely positive, his class fully evident. Whilst still not at his incredible best, he showed everyone that he was well on the road to re-discovering the sensational form of the player who 18 months or so earlier had simply bossed the game down at White hart lane and that day - just prior to hodgson fucking him and us up - he had looked a class apart from every other player on the pitch. World class that day - no doubt.

Hopefully, a return to such form is not that far away. Tonight would be most appropriate.

;D

To be honest I was holding back in using the word bitterness, as that quote you mention in particular is just pure hatred.

It's a forum though and as I have done people write things in anger then dismiss them later and might well have been the case there, but it's just an example of quite a few that seem to use anything they can to not like him. I mean hating him for praying? and assuming he doesn't care about playing for Liverpool? I just find that a bit unfair.

I do agree with you about the Spurs game, I think it was more through frustration though but it definitely is a fault of his game sometimes. I just again think it's another example week after week of something else to use though, the trivial stuff I was talking about that people jump on after each game sometimes. Every player has faults I just think these seem to be highlighted more than everything else he does for our team.

He's not perfect right now, but he's our most talented player in my opinion and back to the main point I just find it hard to stomach seeing how little support he gets each match, that's all. :)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2016, 02:55:54 pm »
Confidence and self belief aka arrogance and cockiness. It's fucking ludicrous really, when you have banged in as many as Sturridge you have every right to shout about your ability.

There's a big difference between self belief and arrogance/cockiness.  You don't have to be arrogant/cocky to believe in your abilities.  That trait is probably one that annoys people the most.  Someone who is humble and just goes about their business (eg. Suarez/Messi) tend to get more people singing their praises then someone who is arrogant and cocky (eg. Ronaldo).

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2016, 02:56:49 pm »
I don't like Sturridge...oh no, I love him.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2016, 02:56:53 pm »

I like this  :D

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2016, 03:00:32 pm »
There's a big difference between self belief and arrogance/cockiness.  You don't have to be arrogant/cocky to believe in your abilities.  That trait is probably one that annoys people the most.  Someone who is humble and just goes about their business (eg. Suarez/Messi) tend to get more people singing their praises then someone who is arrogant and cocky (eg. Ronaldo).

Aye, Messi handles his business by evading taxes.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:25 pm »
Aye, Messi handles his business by evading taxes.

But in a humble way. 

Offline SlowRap

• Legacy Fan
  • Let freedom reign
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:34 pm »

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2016, 03:10:25 pm »
To be honest I was holding back in using the word bitterness, as that quote you mention in particular is just pure hatred.

It's a forum though and as I have done people write things in anger then dismiss them later and might well have been the case there, but it's just an example of quite a few that seem to use anything they can to not like him. I mean hating him for praying? and assuming he doesn't care about playing for Liverpool? I just find that a bit unfair.

I do agree with you about the Spurs game, I think it was more through frustration though but it definitely is a fault of his game sometimes. I just again think it's another example week after week of something else to use though, the trivial stuff I was talking about that people jump on after each game sometimes. Every player has faults I just think these seem to be highlighted more than everything else he does for our team.

He's not perfect right now, but he's our most talented player in my opinion and back to the main point I just find it hard to stomach seeing how little support he gets each match, that's all. :)

I may be too optimistic but I think I saw pretty clear signs during the Stoke game that the player we saw down at White hart lane 18 months ago is not far away. That afternoon I'd say we witnessed Daniel's finest ever performance. And that is one hell of a footballer with the quickest and daintiest feet this side of Barcelona.

Offline Culaldinho

• Main Stander
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2016, 03:13:47 pm »
Think he's misunderstood. People judge him (personality wise) by his demeanor on the pitch.  To be honest I done the same when he played for Chelsea, I couldn't stand him.  I thought he never smiles when he scores and looked pretty arrogant most of the time.

However as he's now a Red I've seen more of him off the pitch and he comes across very likeable.

Off the pitch he's full of the smiles!! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-3ls5Ckq0I&ebc=ANyPxKo7MpY5mdg7O_UizgeM-ObGvBjxyzH3M6w4TO0PReR2aHDfHgwVEVhPkLMbCJuXl24vQBg3RkyXZFD3a13dmVlDLQDpYA

Can't believe certain supporters would sell him, he's our best player - 84 games 48 goals...magic

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2016, 03:22:53 pm »
Not posted in this particular thread but recently read an article on TTT about Torres and how the relationship soured with his move to Chelsea and how that differed to Suarez leaving for Barcelona. It reminded me that our relationships with players are short-lived because they move on which we sometimes forget when in the here and now.

The key point is that where we have players of a special talent like Coutinho and Sturridge we should cherish them even if they drive us up the wall through poor play or perceived lack of effort. just forget this nonsense about how he appears this or that.

I have no problem if Sturridge stood on the edge of the penalty area scratching his arse all game  but then buried the chance(s) that came along because he is that good. For all i care, he could use Gomez for a pole dancing routine tonight so long as he wins the game for us.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »
And that is one hell of a footballer with the quickest and daintiest feet this side of Barcelona.

He is indeed. So light on his feet, like a dancer, like Iniesta. All defenders fear facing Sturridge I think because he needs a second less, and a yard less, than most other strikers. I fancy Hummels would prefer facing Origi tonight.

Now then.

Some people, just a few, seem to have great difficulty in holding two separate ideas in their heads at the same time. These are the two ideas. 1. Sturridge is brilliant 2. Sturridge is not very lovable. You may disagree with the second idea (or even the first) and that's fine. But they are not mutually exclusive. You can believe he is brilliant and at the same time not very lovable. Who knows? Perhaps tonight Sturridge will be serenaded by the Kop. But, oddly, it hasn't happened yet.

As for the idea that I - or anyone else - "hates" Sturridge because he prays on the pitch, that is bollocks. It was never said. Here's a little test Andy82 since you made the accusation. 1. "I hate my mate when he doesn't get his round in." 2. "I hate my mate." Do you see the difference? Now try this on. 1. "I hate it when Sturridge prays on the pitch". 2. "I hate Sturridge because he prays". There's a big difference, and you missed it.

Come on Redmen. 
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2016, 03:38:16 pm »
If any section of fans think Sturridge is not `lovable` it`s their problem not his. He`s got a wonderful personality and is a great footballer, how can anyone not adore him is beyond me.

Offline Redinho

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2016, 03:39:45 pm »
I like him, the Sturridge chant is fine for me.   :-\