Author Topic: Fly the Flag? It takes two to make everything go right...  (Read 8123 times)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Fly the Flag? It takes two to make everything go right...
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:58:05 am »
...It takes two to make it out of sight  :D

Very simple this one (I think). We, the RAWK collective, have over the years gone by designed and then created a fair few banners.

Where have they gone? Are they gathering dust now that the initial new toy feeling has dissipated? Have they been so well travelled that they have now been consumed by that popular pastime
of being a bit too merry and poor banner became a victim of circumstance?

Some that spring to mind on here

"Smokin Joe"
"El Pistolero"
"Digger 10" (disclaimer. I know about this one. It will be back soon!)

That's just a few. There are many others. These aren't banners for finals. They're for life

What if you don't have a banner but, well, ya know you want to be an active flag/banner flyer? You've got the "cojones" but no items of yer own. There is a way for yourselves too. The very good
and supremely well stocked HJC may have few that are waiting to see daylight again.

A very good man and poster here on RAWK called Stoz is the person you'll see along with others marshalling an effort just next to the kop entrance below the scoreboard. Those lovely ones of
Paisley and Sir Roger Hunt to name but a few are setup by these guys. They can show you the way for getting what you have out onto the Kop. I would assume they'd also be able to give pointers
on ones sitting in the HJC awaiting a kind soul or two.

In the words of a very old tv programme for the youth... Why Don't You?  ;D

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: Fly the Flag? It takes two to make everything go right...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 01:01:00 am »
Don't big up Stoz FFS, i have to live with him, we have poles in the front room and a giant poppy to add to the paisley banner...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Tomo!

• Shit post editor! Will be giving his wife one.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:04:05 am »
Don't big up Stoz FFS, i have to live with him, we have poles in the front room and a giant poppy to add to the paisley banner...

These poles in your front room do you charge them rent or are they mates?
Google messi topless on holiday. Now look at david silva, villa, iniesta, xavi, they have the upper bodies of little boys.

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:06:10 am »

We should charge the fuckers...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:17:26 am »
;D

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 02:23:40 am »

Just out of curiosity, did you run your flag by Ged Poynton before setting it up in the Kop the other night?

I was asking one of the head stewards about bringing mine, and was told that Ged had to give permission first.

I was explaining that it's just a flag, not a surfer, and was told, no. all flags must be checked first.

Which I thought was a bit bizarre.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:24 am »
Just out of curiosity, did you run your flag by Ged Poynton before setting it up in the Kop the other night?

I was asking one of the head stewards about bringing mine, and was told that Ged had to give permission first.

I was explaining that it's just a flag, not a surfer, and was told, no. all flags must be checked first.

Nope. Went via Stoz. One of the stewards that looks after matchday hospitality and then, as I found out the next day, the Anfield experiences wished that more would appear

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 11:52:51 am »

I've taken flags in without asking before and didn't have an issue. Steward's on the gate just wanted a nosey to see what it said more than anything.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »
Yeah. I was enquiring more about what variety of flag poles I could take in, more than the flag itself, so was a little bit confused when he said Ged Poynton had to check it over first.

Offline stoz

• John Motson. The Flag Bearer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 12:38:20 pm »
The surfers which go over the crowd, must have been fireprooed and hold an up to date certificate. Otherwise, they're OK.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 05:06:53 pm »

"Digger 10" (disclaimer. I know about this one. It will be back soon!)

Yeah I'll get it sorted mate!! ;D
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 07:24:20 pm »
I remember me and AnfieldIron stayed up all night pre-Villa 2 seasons ago, made a huge flag and when I got to the game with it in my bag was told I couldn't bring it in, so stashed in in Stanley Park pre-match and picked it up on the way back.

Gutted!
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »
I remember me and AnfieldIron stayed up all night pre-Villa 2 seasons ago, made a huge flag and when I got to the game with it in my bag was told I couldn't bring it in, so stashed in in Stanley Park pre-match and picked it up on the way back.

Gutted!

Just had a look back and found that one. An absolutely cracking banner, and one which should be out. Did it ever make an appearance? I don't recall so. Another one to add to Harinders list above of brilliant banners. Also the King Kenny one. We helped get that one displayed at Kennys first home game back as manager, and it hasn't been seen since. Rodgers has been in the job long enough now for it not to be deemed as insensitive to bring out, and anyway it depicts Kenny as a player, not a manager.

Come on guys, with a site this big and considering the number of you who have made contributions, either financially or with input into designs etc.... there must be at least a small handful of people who will help to get some of these banners out into the ground at least occasionally. It doesn't take up a great deal of your time, and we will help you the first time with the procedure, but it's really straightforward and once you've done it the first time you'll be fine on your own. Also, as Harinder will no doubt confirm, there is no greater feeling on a matchday than standing at the front of the Kop holding a flag which you have been a part of creating.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 02:20:36 pm by stoz »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Fly the Flag? It takes two to make everything go right...
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 03:14:34 pm »
Can't afford to get up to Anfield at the minute but wanted to bump this thread because its always so excellent to see the Kop full of banners and flags
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 04:42:38 pm »
Just had a look back and found that one. An absolutely cracking banner, and one which should be out. Did it ever make an appearance? I don't recall so. Another one to add to Harinders list above of brilliant banners. Also the King Kenny one. We helped get that one displayed at Kennys first home game back as manager, and it hasn't been seen since. Rodgers has been in the job long enough now for it not to be deemed as insensitive to bring out, and anyway it depicts Kenny as a player, not a manager.

Come on guys, with a site this big and considering the number of you who have made contributions, either financially or with input into designs etc.... there must be at least a small handful of people who will help to get some of these banners out into the ground at least occasionally. It doesn't take up a great deal of your time, and we will help you the first time with the procedure, but it's really straightforward and once you've done it the first time you'll be fine on your own. Also, as Harinder will no doubt confirm, there is no greater feeling on a matchday than standing at the front of the Kop holding a flag which you have been a part of creating.

Couldn't agree more. The sense of pride of actually going from the page, to print, to Kop is amazing. Having any banner in front of the Kop is a terrific feeling. This one, sentiments and size aside, will always hold a special place as it was a first for me and made even better by all the help received on the day. It's something to tell your kids about. You can actually say you were part of our traditions that held high a flag/banner on the Kop.

From an opportunity perspective look at it this way, 2 people from RAWK on the Kop can lift a banner up and all you need to do is be there. A bit of pre-organisation on here and you're away. Are we saying we it's impossible? For all the post match thread stuff you'd believe half of RAWK came from the kop  ;D

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 09:19:02 pm »
Can't afford to get up to Anfield at the minute but wanted to bump this thread because its always so excellent to see the Kop full of banners and flags

It is indeed Hij. Kennys first game back as manager was amazing. Everyone got together and helped each other, to produce a fantastic display including many rarely seen banners. Not come close to repeating that day, sadly.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:41:52 pm »
Think its a reflection of the lack of matchgoing people on the Forum, sadly.

Added to the ticketing policies, which mean that those who have no season ticket, but do go regularly, don't always get to choose where they sit.

Bit piss poor though that in a stand of about 13,000 people, containing "the best fans in the world", a couple of dozen regulars can't be found to wave flags around for a few minutes each game. Even if the flags are a result of someone elses effort and financial layout.

Never thought I'd see the day when the Kop was so bland, quiet and un-arsed. Still, that's modern football fans for you.

Congratulations on the Kesey banner, by the way - fantastic effort that. Pity there aren't a few more like you.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 01:26:19 pm »
I think "We Climbed the Hill" will be flown again today by 24/7  :D

He may need a hand so anyone who can aid meet the lads/lasses under the scoreboard (corner of Kop) at 7.30pm

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:18 pm »
I think "We Climbed the Hill" will be flown again today by 24/7  :D

He may need a hand so anyone who can aid meet the lads/lasses under the scoreboard (corner of Kop) at 7.30pm
I've recruited Welshred (Chris) to help with this and will send Jim his number :wave

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 04:36:02 pm »
I've recruited Welshred (Chris) to help with this and will send Jim his number :wave
:scarf

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
OK guys, there's a couple of potential issues tonight, mainly due to the weather. It's been blustery quite a bit of the day here, and also raining, which can affect where we drop the banners down to for the first half, before dismantling at HT. I'll have a check when I get in, as conditions outside are not always the same inside.

Anyway, if anyone is watching tonights game and wonders why the banner isn't there, it will more than likely be for this reason. It may also be that it is dropped down a minute or two before the end of YNWA, so that those holding it have time to take it off the poles and put it into the bag, rather than it getting dirty laying in the moat. Fingers crossed everything will be OK though.

Offline Rome-77

• Head case, more like! Wtf is wrong with me?
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 06:48:53 pm »
 this is what  makes us unique,

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 08:17:21 pm »
Banner was up in same place. 7.45 to almost kick off

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 08:27:11 pm »
Excellent :)

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 1, 2012, 01:12:28 am »
I'll try and get "Smokin' Joe" out for the Young Boys game lads. Do you reckon the HJC shop will be sound with me storing the pole in there on a regular basis?
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: November 1, 2012, 02:28:22 pm »
I'll try and get "Smokin' Joe" out for the Young Boys game lads. Do you reckon the HJC shop will be sound with me storing the pole in there on a regular basis?

Hello Smig

Firstly, the HJC will be closed after the game (it doesn't open after any midweek matches).

However as it is only one pole which you have, would it not be better simply to take it home after each game? The people who have flags in the HJC generally have a number of flags/poles, and each have some sort of pole bag which each can clearly idenitify as theirs. One pole on its own could possibly be mislaid, or mistook by someone else as one of theirs.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #26 on: November 1, 2012, 02:34:01 pm »
Where's the Kenny banner gone recently?

Where's the Suarez banner?

Where's the Kenny and Suarez banner?
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 1, 2012, 02:39:21 pm »
Where's the Kenny banner gone recently?

Where's the Suarez banner?

Where's the Kenny and Suarez banner?

That's been asked further up. The King banner is brilliant, and definitely needs getting out. The Kenny/Suarez one is petty much redundant now though.

The problem is not the number or quality of banners, but getting people to display them.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #28 on: November 1, 2012, 08:18:08 pm »
That's been asked further up. The King banner is brilliant, and definitely needs getting out. The Kenny/Suarez one is petty much redundant now though.

The problem is not the number or quality of banners, but getting people to display them.

Need to get more in the hospitality sections of the ground, its the future, corporate banners for corporate seats
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: November 1, 2012, 08:20:09 pm »
Need to get more in the hospitality sections of the ground, its the future, corporate banners for corporate seats

I err can help there  ;)

Offline blackie2009

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96
« Reply #30 on: November 2, 2012, 03:13:55 pm »
if it is any use i can get 'bannerflex' at cost price??

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 2, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »
if it is any use i can get 'bannerflex' at cost price??

What's that mate?

Offline blackie2009

• Main Stander
  • JUSTICE FOR THE 96
« Reply #32 on: November 2, 2012, 06:03:59 pm »
Its a flexible vinyl which can be used to make banners with, if you have a vinyl cutter its ideal

Offline stoz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 2, 2012, 06:40:19 pm »
Its a flexible vinyl which can be used to make banners with, if you have a vinyl cutter its ideal

Ah right. The banners we do however, are designed by ourselves and ordered through a company online. Not sure whether that sort of material would be too thick, but I'm sure someone could take you up on youur kind offer if they are looking tomake their own from scratch.

Offline HermanToothrot

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: November 2, 2012, 06:47:53 pm »
I made my own banners once. Looked terrible, but decorated my living room for years, until i moved house.
Still got them somewhere.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 5, 2012, 01:08:22 am »
Hello Smig

Firstly, the HJC will be closed after the game (it doesn't open after any midweek matches).

However as it is only one pole which you have, would it not be better simply to take it home after each game? The people who have flags in the HJC generally have a number of flags/poles, and each have some sort of pole bag which each can clearly idenitify as theirs. One pole on its own could possibly be mislaid, or mistook by someone else as one of theirs.

Cheers Stoz, I didn't know it closed after the match midweek. It's not a big deal, just a bit of an inconvenience carting the pole around the boozer before the game.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."