Author Topic: Band of Brothers.  (Read 50389 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Band of Brothers.
« Reply #480 on: March 26, 2020, 12:52:24 pm »
Also add in Damien Lewis who happens to be a big red too. ;)

I'd definitely watch Band Of Brothers first though it's a masterpiece, although having said that the portrait of Captain Sobel is controversial, apparently he wasn't as inept & incompetent as the series made him out to be, even the real life veterans of Easy Company have said so.

And the replacement Lieutenant who is portrayed as being missing most of the time was supposed to have been considerably better than depicted. Are there any members of Easy Company still alive?

Looked it up. Edward Shames, the Lt who is depicted as a yeller at his men, is still alive. Ironically, Ed Tipper, the soldier who was severely wounded by a booby trap in a shop at Carentan, was one of the last survivors. Wiki says there are a couple of other survivors, but I don't think they appeared in the series.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #481 on: March 26, 2020, 03:52:49 pm »
Norman Dike was also portrayed more badly on the show than he was in real life. He was apparently a bit lazy but his breakdown on the battlefield was down to him getting shot in the shoulder.

Stephen E. Ambrose did have a habit of a few stretches of the truth in his books.

Mix in the cinematic stretches taken by Hanks and Spielberg.

Unfortunately Dom Malarkey passed away a few years ago and he was the final E company veteran portrayed on the show

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2020, 05:59:20 pm »
One irony Captain Sobel who ended up being transferred elsewhere, would have been on the plane that was shot down on D-Day & killed, the remains of the plane & crew were found in the early 50s
#Sausages

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: March 26, 2020, 06:02:43 pm »
Norman Dike was also portrayed more badly on the show than he was in real life. He was apparently a bit lazy but his breakdown on the battlefield was down to him getting shot in the shoulder.

Stephen E. Ambrose did have a habit of a few stretches of the truth in his books.

Unfortunately Dom Malarkey passed away a few years ago and he was the final E company veteran portrayed on the show

Edward Shames is still alive. He's one of the Lts considered for replacing Dike in episode 7, shown as yelling at his men (Malarkey says of him, in talking about Dike, "I wish he'd take Lt. Shames with him", and Lipton tells him to shut up).

If you like the parts of The Pacific that were in the same vein as BoB, I recommend "With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa" by Eugene Sledge. AA "Ack-ack" Haldane deserves to be read about.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #484 on: March 26, 2020, 06:05:02 pm »
Might watch this again. A true masterpiece.

Interesting trivia - Damian Lewis was on our plane out to Kiev. The fucker got another flight back and we were delayed for ages while they kept making a last call for Lewis Damian.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #485 on: March 27, 2020, 12:47:41 pm »
Might watch this again. A true masterpiece.

Interesting trivia - Damian Lewis was on our plane out to Kiev. The fucker got another flight back and we were delayed for ages while they kept making a last call for Lewis Damian.

Halfway through it again*

The personal stories really hit home at the start to each.

Onto The Pacific after again*
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #486 on: March 27, 2020, 03:16:16 pm »

They may have stretched the truth a bit on the specifics, but the series as a whole is such a wonderful study in leadership in its various forms - Winters, Sobel, Dyke, Lipton, Speirs.

You could base a whole MBA on the series. Maybe someone already has....

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: March 27, 2020, 03:44:15 pm »
They may have stretched the truth a bit on the specifics, but the series as a whole is such a wonderful study in leadership in its various forms - Winters, Sobel, Dyke, Lipton, Speirs.

If you haven't read it, I also recommend Watership Down, a tale of rabbits moving warren. It's also a study of different types of leadership from Airborne officers.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #488 on: March 27, 2020, 04:49:24 pm »

Oh dont get me wrong. I have said numerous times that I consider Band of Brothers the greatest TV show ever made.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: March 30, 2020, 08:29:59 pm »
Episode 9 might be the saddest piece of television I’ve ever seen.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: April 2, 2020, 09:59:50 pm »
Finished it. Nearly choked up at the end once again.

Outstanding television.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: April 2, 2020, 10:58:20 pm »
Another here that might watch it again. Must be the best mini series ever made?

Offline courty61

• Legacy Fan
  • Never Buy The S*n
« Reply #492 on: April 16, 2024, 04:02:31 pm »
Bumping an old thread just as I stumbled across an HBO podcast on Band of Brothers. 2 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Caused me to download it over all over again on my sky box. Brilliant television
77, 78, 81, 84, 05, 19

Online jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #493 on: Today at 07:12:11 pm »
Bumping an old thread just as I stumbled across an HBO podcast on Band of Brothers. 2 episodes in and enjoying it so far.

Caused me to download it over all over again on my sky box. Brilliant television

If you enjoy reading - the book on which is based is fantastic 👌