Author Topic: An open letter to RBS from The Spirit Of Shankly - Liverpool Supporters Union  (Read 7541 times)

Offline Spirit Of Shankly

• Anny Roader
  • www.spiritofshankly.com
    • Spirit of Shankly
Open letter to the Chief Executive & shareholders of the RBS

We write as the concerned voice of a great many supporters of Liverpool Football Club. Many of our number are also customers of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

It has become apparent to a wide range of experts that the business model, set in place by the current owners of Liverpool Football Club, George Gillett and Tom Hicks, for taking forward this historic institution, and community pillar, is not a viable one.

The American consortium, substantially backed by the RBS, has continually issued false promises to the club’s supporters - it’s key constituency and ‘customer base’. We no longer have faith in their competence or ability to meet the commitments of their business plan, and we believe, that from a financial perspective, they are fundamentally harming the value of the club.

The value of the club going forward is inextricably linked to the success of its team on the pitch, and the revenues its accomplishments can yield. Key to these revenues is constant participation in the world’s premier football club tournament, the Champions League. These revenues, in normal circumstances, should never be taken for granted, as the vagaries of ‘the game’ dictate that relying on income from this tournament is an extremely risky strategy to pursue (witness the debacle at Leeds United over the last few years).

The Hicks and Gillett model has clearly been grounded in the club ultimately generating significant new revenues from the extra capacity provided by a new stadium for the club. At present they have no way to fund the development of such a stadium, despite having committed to doing so as far back as April 2007. By their own confession, only a week ago, the project of building a new stadium for LFC is now indefinitely on hold.

Therefore, what can the value of the club be going forward ? Reliance on ongoing Champions League qualification is a ludicrously risky anchor to any football club business plan, and has been further exposed as such, by this week’s developments at Manchester City, whereby a new ‘force’ has emerged in the world game, that, as things stand, will inevitably be to the detriment of Liverpool FC, and push it further down football’s revenue seeking ‘pecking order’.

That Hicks and Gillett are still in situ is largely down to the financial support they are receiving from the RBS, albeit tempered by widely reported 6 monthly re-evaluation stipulations that reflect that it is nervous as to the viability of their plan for LFC.

This ‘wait and see’ stance from the bank would be understandable if the world financial markets were sound, and prospects good. Yet prevailing conditions are the worst in many a financial expert’s living memory. Moreover, and crucially, the bank and the owners are aware that, there exists, in the market, a ready and willing buyer for Liverpool FC. A buyer, it must be stressed, who is prepared to pay above the market rate, and deliver to the existing shareholders a sizeable profit on an investment that is barely 18 months old, on a business that is increasingly proving itself to be barely solvent.

In procrastinating, the RBS is taking an unacceptable reputational and financial risk, not only to the Anfield constituency and Liverpool FC, but even, surely, to it’s own shareholders. Should the Dubai based offer disappear, then meltdown for the club, and in turn it’s value, is a very real prospect.

Ready alternative buyers are not in the market. If the owners remain at the helm, it is highly likely, as they have no prospect of generating the required investment, that the club will not build it’s new stadium, nor continue to qualify for it’s revenue ‘lifeline’, the Champioms league tournament. Its status in the world game will decline swiftly, and it’s turnover plummet. As a knock on consequence the Anfield area of Liverpool, will see it’s prospects of regeneration delayed, if not shelved, indefinitely.

We, the supporters of Britain’s most successful football club, and one of the top 3 best supported clubs in the world, would ask those in the positions of the highest authority at the RBS :

‘How can you justify artifically propping up such a clearly unsound business plan, and jeopardise the future, not only of such an historic football club and it’s worldwide legion of supporters, but also set back, possibly for decades, the prospects of the people of Anfield, Liverpool 4, for whom the criminally long-overdue regeneration of their locality is intrinsically linked to the development of a major new stadium for Liverpool FC’.

We find the RBS stance indefensible in the face of the weight of the evidence, and in the light of the fact that, in Sheik Mohammed’s consortium’s bid, a ready solution exists. We urge the bank, in the strongest terms to show it respects a great institution, and cares about the people of Liverpool, by withdrawing it’s support to the current shareholders of Liverpool FC, forthwith, and persuading them to accept the offer on the table from the Dubai based group.

The Spirit of Shankly – Liverpool Supporters Union
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 07:29:28 pm by Rushian »
Join your Union Now online at www.spiritofshankly.com

Like SOS on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @spiritofshankly

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
Its a boss letter. Letting RBS know the supporters strong feelings publically and openly, had to be done.  Once again well in Spirit of Shankly. Great work
« Last Edit: September 5, 2008, 07:49:44 pm by Rushian »
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline ConnieLFC

• New York family capo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes?
A brilliant letter - thank you, SOS.

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
Excellent.

Always happy to post/report stuff like this in Opinion as it gets hits from both NewsNow and Google News.
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline kingjari

• But you can call me Off the Pitch. Or donut.
  • Legacy Fan
  • It is our RIGHT, our DUTY to throw off such owners
Excellent.

Always happy to post/report stuff like this in Opinion as it gets hits from both NewsNow and Google News.

good to know fella  ;)
SIR Bill Shankly:
"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They are only there to sign the cheques."

Spirit Of Shankly- JFT96

Con el Socio, todo ; sin el socio, nada

http://www.spiritofshankly.com/join.html-  join online

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
brilliant letter
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline irishred1991

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96, YNWA
boss letter
Liverpool is our religion,
Anfield is our church,
The Kop is our choir,
Fowler is our God.

Offline Finch Royal

• Main Stander
great letter, learn though when to use the words "it's" and "its" with and without an aposrophe correctly in such letters. 

Offline farters parters

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
great letter, learn though when to use the words "it's" and "its" with and without an aposrophe correctly in such letters.

Don't worry, Mr pedant, its (just for you) the message that counts.

Offline Finch Royal

• Main Stander
Don't worry, Mr pedant, its (just for you) the message that counts.

:-)

boss letter.

Offline whitey1234

• Main Stander
Is right lads, we all need to keep up the pressure in any way we can. Well done for continually voicing the concerns of our fans.

Offline tedthered

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We write our own history
Good luck with it, by far the best means of attack RBS
2013/2014 My 51st year with hope in my heart

Offline nandolove

• Main Stander
  • 2-3, BELIEVE....
Well in SOS
Oh, how I now wish I hadn't chosen this username

Offline Marty McFly

• He is not a number, he's a free man now
  • Legacy Fan
  • Has been busy in parallel dimensions and shit.
love it

Offline thekop0071

• Main Stander
Fantastic - it shows the worth of SOS
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager." - Rafa Benitez 3 June 2010

They ripped my heart  from my chest TWICE.
Firstly when the drove a knife into the back of Rafa and when they de throned the king both men who I would glady follow to the ends of the earth ! YNWA

Offline paulsi

• Kopite
keep up the good work sos my thoughts are with you
betfair refer and earn its simple free £20 each when you use this code  w4wvdxlph

Offline paulsi

• Kopite
ted the red is sound  i met him and family in glasgow in the sports bar ,,,legend
betfair refer and earn its simple free £20 each when you use this code  w4wvdxlph

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
Interesting read, few questions;

Who exactly in the RBS was this sent to?

And if it was sent to some one worth while,do the SOS believe they will get the reply they want,if any reply at all?

I would like to also add I couldn't agree more with the Leeds comparison,just hope it does not come to that!

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
Great letter SOS, please keep up the pressure
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
Re: An open letter to RBS from The Spirit Of Shankly - Liverpool Supporters Union
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 12:37:12 pm »
Hope they will now have the balls to hold strong come January.  But I worry that if the muppets decide to stay till the end then the banks will own the club and a bidding war will result.
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline blurred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: An open letter to RBS from The Spirit Of Shankly - Liverpool Supporters Union
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2008, 02:34:45 pm »
A serious comment, you could really do with getting someone to proof-read your official announcements/open letters/press releases and so-forth before putting them out in the public domain. The level of English in that makes the organisation look amateurish.

hoonin

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 06:58:12 pm »
Are you touting for work, Garreth?

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »
Hate to be a c*nt, but who the fuck is going to read this and why would they give a fuck?
If H and G can afford the repayment, good news for RBS, and if they can't afford it then...good news for RBS, they call in the loan via taking the shirt off our back.  It's good business for them. 
The second point is, how many letters would RBS get a day?  Some dour c*nt is going to open this up and read half of it before going for a starbucks and reading a few hundred more and checking their Facebook page.
I'm all for SOS, but letters are a complete waste of time.  We need to get harsh, and I'm not naive enough to suggest that it would be legal.

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2008, 09:25:58 pm »
Have to agree with the last post.

Cant fault the sentiment, but banks are all about making money, and there not going do anything until them two c*nts default.

The only response the letter may get from the bank, will revolve around the fact that they cant discuss accounts with a third party.

Not meaning to piss on anyones chips, sorry.
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 01:39:46 am »
Great letter hope it makes RBS realise what mess they are getting into with these twats

keep up the good work SOS
YNWA

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 12:14:38 am »
Yeah, great.
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline coachpotato

• Main Stander
  • The Reds are coming up the hill boys..............
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2008, 09:58:49 am »
A powerful statement.

I don't believe that RBS will react, publicly at any rate, to the call to basically bin the Yanks in favour of DIC or anyone else. However, it must be a source of concern to them, especially with US Banks going down right left and centre, and it will be considered behind closed doors perhaps.

RBS can sit as tight as they wish on this one, after all, they're not going to lose anything as the situation stands and they won't let a bunch of football supporters dictate to them, will they?

If Liverpool City Council can make similar representations to RBS (if they've not already done so) or anyone else with a vested interest in the Anfield regeneration, then that makes it more than just a football related issue, it's also a public/community issue that surely any bank would have to listen to and give some kind of reassurance one way or the other?

RBS are in the box seat here and it'll take more than just us to shift them into doing something.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:06:08 am by coachpotato »
"Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom, I hold dear...."

Offline fudge

• RAWK Gaylord
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm a swine, its my nature"
    • Fat man dancing
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2008, 10:37:07 am »
A powerful statement.

I don't believe that RBS will react, publicly at any rate, to the call to basically bin the Yanks in favour of DIC or anyone else. However, it must be a source of concern to them, especially with US Banks going down right left and centre, and it will be considered behind closed doors perhaps.

RBS can sit as tight as they wish on this one, after all, they're not going to lose anything as the situation stands and they won't let a bunch of football supporters dictate to them, will they?

If Liverpool City Council can make similar representations to RBS (if they've not already done so) or anyone else with a vested interest in the Anfield regeneration, then that makes it more than just a football related issue, it's also a public/community issue that surely any bank would have to listen to and give some kind of reassurance one way or the other?

RBS are in the box seat here and it'll take more than just us to shift them into doing something.

took a few people to cause a lemming style run on Northern Rock though didn't it. In the current economic climate they'd be well aware of trying to avoid any adverse press.

At the moment confidence is the only thing holding some banks together. Once that goes its a pack of cards
Rubber Dinghy Rapids....

Offline coachpotato

• Main Stander
  • The Reds are coming up the hill boys..............
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 07:26:41 pm »
I admit the situation with most banks is sensitive (to say the least!), and since I posted I note that RBS had a 6% loss in share value because of the Lehman bank fiasco yesterday, but they are still in a position over us at any rate (as someone posted earlier) where if H&G default they win, if H&G pay up RBS still win.

That won't stop other outside concerns affecting their stance if the situation becomes extreme. My hope is that RBS decide anyway to call in their loan to H&G and test whether or not those two actually can find the money or not.

I suspect they won't be able to, that'll leave us effectively in the hands of RBS and they'll sell us to whoever is the highest bidder maybe. We can only hope that whoever that might be, they'll be more acceptable to us than H&G!

I note also that Wachovia took a hit yesterday so that's more grist to the mill!

"Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom, I hold dear...."