Author Topic: RAWK Advent Calendar day 7: Goodison in the olden days  (Read 3513 times)

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
RAWK Advent Calendar day 7: Goodison in the olden days
« on: December 7, 2015, 12:30:31 am »
You wouldn't let your 10 year old son go to the other side of the world with an irresponsible 16-year-old blue nose would you? Well in 1973 my mum did, at least I think she did….. maybe she didn’t even know I’d ventured to such a far away place, all she knew was that I was being minded. Otherwise, being able to entrust your precious ones with their cousins must be a great perk of parenthood, but permit and risk influence from an Evertonian is just fucking irresponsible as far as I’m concerned.

My cousin, Peter, loved his footy, one of my earliest memories of him was watching the Leeds v Chelsea FA Cup Final in 1970, I clearly recall his excitement before, during & after that ferocious game. Fortunately he didn’t have sufficient influence to persuade me to become a blue, despite him minding me & my sister almost every weekend I was a staunch Red.

So whether it was a pre-birthday treat or an evil alternative to get me to cross over to the dark side I’m not sure, I only remember him telling me he was taking me to Goodison park on the 3rd of March 1973 to see his Everton take on Liverpool. I’d already been to Anfield by then, and the journey by car was unnoticeable, but this journey from South Liverpool to the district of Everton by bus and on foot was epic. I honestly don’t know how many buses we got on and how far we walked but it was a fucking cruel trek.
 Finally we arrived and it literally felt like I’d travelled to the end of the earth. I didn't know there was even a place on earth so far away from L17. I’d only been taken to Anfield a few times at this age, but as I mingled amongst a sea of blue I remember sensing this eerie feeling that “this just isn’t right”. They were just footy fans but everything felt different. Alien.
 Of course I didn’t know it at the time but this was a Liverpool side that was going places, we were on the brink of greatness while there was an expectancy of a home victory in Goodison Park that day.

Clemence
Lawler

Lindsay
Smith

Lloyd

Hughes

Keegan

Hall

Boersma

Heighway

Callaghan

I’m not sure where we sat, I just remember it being in the upper tier somewhere among the home fans. Even as a young and inexperienced match-goer that I was, it felt unfamiliar and peculiar.
At long last kick-off, I felt like I’d been out of the house for 3-weeks. Kevin Keegan was my long-standing hero, but seeing the silky skills of Steve Heighway right in front of me made me fawn. Once Liverpool had resisted some early threats from Everton we grew in to the game and my excitement made my presence known. At first the blue faithful weren’t really arsed about me and quite a few other Reds in the vicinity, but as the game unfolded they became more frustrated and less tolerant with shouts of “sit down you little c*nt” to dissuade my vantage of standing on the seat during the game. Fucking hell I was ten and tiny – I couldn’t see a fucking thing!

They got their wishes nonetheless, it doesn’t take long for a ten-year-old to get bored at a footy match even if his Red heroes are on display. No goals, cold, hungry and bored, fucking bored. Until very late in the game my entertainment was from the increasing anger around me and being treated to raucous expletives from the frustrated blue noses as Liverpool’s dominance prevailed.
By the time Emlyn Hughes had netted two late goals in the last 10 minutes I’d fallen off my seat about 10 times and the blues had become livid. Indignant and incensed were not words in my vocabulary at that age, but they describe aptly the atmosphere around me when the final whistle blew.
It was a game in my early life like so many that saw Liverpool victorious in the 70’s. Naively I left that ground unappreciative of what Emlyn Hughes had actually done, who he was and what he’d become, he wasn’t Keegan, Heighway or Cally, he was just a lad that won us the match.
Goodison had close to a capacity crowd, I haven’t got a clue how I emerged from the place without getting lost. With a sense of delight over the win and relief of being able to go home I stayed close to my cousin as he tells me we’ve got about a mile to walk. His target was, I think, the nearest 68 bus stop which was chocka when we got there. No chance of getting on the first bus, we squeeze on to the second. Do you know how long it takes the 68 to get to Aigburth? 4 days, no word of a fucking lie. Standing up, getting trod and farted on, it was the worst bus journey ever from an unknown land.

I arrived home completely fucked, I was probably in bed within a few minutes after a long needed piss.

When you’re a kid, certainly back in those days, you haven’t got a clue how special the things around you are. There's nothing special about this post except for me and my faded memory that I was taken to a piece of our history.

To the memory of Peter Parker. RIP.

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: RAWK Advent Calendar day 7: Goodison in the olden days
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2015, 01:37:50 am »
You wouldn't let your 10 year old son go to the other side of the world with an irresponsible 16-year-old blue nose would you? Well in 1973 my mum did, at least I think she did….. maybe she didn’t even know I’d ventured to such a far away place, all she knew was that I was being minded. Otherwise, being able to entrust your precious ones with their cousins must be a great perk of parenthood, but permit and risk influence from an Evertonian is just fucking irresponsible as far as I’m concerned.

My cousin, Peter, loved his footy, one of my earliest memories of him was watching the Leeds v Chelsea FA Cup Final in 1970, I clearly recall his excitement before, during & after that ferocious game. Fortunately he didn’t have sufficient influence to persuade me to become a blue, despite him minding me & my sister almost every weekend I was a staunch Red.

So whether it was a pre-birthday treat or an evil alternative to get me to cross over to the dark side I’m not sure, I only remember him telling me he was taking me to Goodison park on the 3rd of March 1973 to see his Everton take on Liverpool. I’d already been to Anfield by then, and the journey by car was unnoticeable, but this journey from South Liverpool to the district of Everton by bus and on foot was epic. I honestly don’t know how many buses we got on and how far we walked but it was a fucking cruel trek.
 Finally we arrived and it literally felt like I’d travelled to the end of the earth. I didn't know there was even a place on earth so far away from L17. I’d only been taken to Anfield a few times at this age, but as I mingled amongst a sea of blue I remember sensing this eerie feeling that “this just isn’t right”. They were just footy fans but everything felt different. Alien.
 Of course I didn’t know it at the time but this was a Liverpool side that was going places, we were on the brink of greatness while there was an expectancy of a home victory in Goodison Park that day.

Clemence
Lawler

Lindsay
Smith

Lloyd

Hughes

Keegan

Hall

Boersma

Heighway

Callaghan

I’m not sure where we sat, I just remember it being in the upper tier somewhere among the home fans. Even as a young and inexperienced match-goer that I was, it felt unfamiliar and peculiar.
At long last kick-off, I felt like I’d been out of the house for 3-weeks. Kevin Keegan was my long-standing hero, but seeing the silky skills of Steve Heighway right in front of me made me fawn. Once Liverpool had resisted some early threats from Everton we grew in to the game and my excitement made my presence known. At first the blue faithful weren’t really arsed about me and quite a few other Reds in the vicinity, but as the game unfolded they became more frustrated and less tolerant with shouts of “sit down you little c*nt” to dissuade my vantage of standing on the seat during the game. Fucking hell I was ten and tiny – I couldn’t see a fucking thing!

They got their wishes nonetheless, it doesn’t take long for a ten-year-old to get bored at a footy match even if his Red heroes are on display. No goals, cold, hungry and bored, fucking bored. Until very late in the game my entertainment was from the increasing anger around me and being treated to raucous expletives from the frustrated blue noses as Liverpool’s dominance prevailed.
By the time Emlyn Hughes had netted two late goals in the last 10 minutes I’d fallen off my seat about 10 times and the blues had become livid. Indignant and incensed were not words in my vocabulary at that age, but they describe aptly the atmosphere around me when the final whistle blew.
It was a game in my early life like so many that saw Liverpool victorious in the 70’s. Naively I left that ground unappreciative of what Emlyn Hughes had actually done, who he was and what he’d become, he wasn’t Keegan, Heighway or Cally, he was just a lad that won us the match.
Goodison had close to a capacity crowd, I haven’t got a clue how I emerged from the place without getting lost. With a sense of delight over the win and relief of being able to go home I stayed close to my cousin as he tells me we’ve got about a mile to walk. His target was, I think, the nearest 68 bus stop which was chocka when we got there. No chance of getting on the first bus, we squeeze on to the second. Do you know how long it takes the 68 to get to Aigburth? 4 days, no word of a fucking lie. Standing up, getting trod and farted on, it was the worst bus journey ever from an unknown land.

I arrived home completely fucked, I was probably in bed within a few minutes after a long needed piss.

When you’re a kid, certainly back in those days, you haven’t got a clue how special the things around you are. There's nothing special about this post except for me and my faded memory that I was taken to a piece of our history.

To the memory of Peter Parker. RIP.

Thanks for the account - those early games we go to stick well in the memory. I didn't realise the goals were that late but that had to be the "steamy" derby where Emlyn got his 2 goals.
 The first one you could see Hughes running through but Everton were the only ones who didn't spot him. Callaghan put him through and he sidesteps the keeper and slides hit home. We celebrated for  5 minutes and we're just singing
"Nice one Emlyn, nice one son , nice one Emlyn , lets have another one" when he slams in a volley for the second. It was a wet day so , after another 5 minutes jumping up and down celebrating, this huge cloud of steam rises up from The Liverpool end , so much so that you couldn't see the pitch  :)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2015, 08:30:30 am »
Remember this game from an old Beating The Blues video I had! Cheers old man. :D

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2015, 09:23:35 am »
I only have one question

Who removed the splinters?  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline DaveCharlie

• RAWK Hidden Gem #1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Former Formbyite, in Australia, was back, now NZ

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2015, 12:02:50 pm »
Brilliant John, thank you :wave
Yep.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2015, 06:29:59 pm »
Great stuff old timer. The Jack Hargreaves of RAWK.

Good for us young whipper snappers to grasp the essence of what football was like, way before the invention of Colour and the Wheel.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2015, 06:53:08 pm »
Love reading the old stories :)
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2015, 07:38:03 pm »
I don't know exactly when but it would be within 2 years of this, a blue nose that was 3 years older than me lived next door and we became good mates. One day in either half term or Easter, I'm not certain, but he was looking through an Everton programme or mag that he had and he spotted a Everton v Liverpool reserve or youth game fixture that scheduled for that day so he knocks on my door and tells me to get ready to go. I was made up to go with him as he was dead funn, so off we trek to the faraway land looking forward to the game. We eventually get to Goodison and there wasn't a soul around, the place was fucking desolate.

The knob had only dragged me up there at 2 o'clock expecting a 3 o'clock kick off on a fucking Wednesday!

Did I go back for half 7? Did I fuck as like  ;D