Author Topic: Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?  (Read 22416 times)

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
Re: Are mobile phones wiping out our bees?
« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2014, 04:53:25 pm »
Hmmmm....not only bees are suffering, research has also shown the HFCS is playing a significant role in the worldwide obesity epidemic. Corn, it a toxin and it is hidden in so many food ( I use the term loosely) products.

From the article

The researchers aren't suggesting that high-fructose corn syrup is itself toxic to bees, instead, they say their findings indicate that by eating the replacement food instead of honey, the bees are not being exposed to other chemicals that help the bees fight off toxins, such as those found in pesticides.

HFCs arnt toxic in and of themselves.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #81 on: April 19, 2014, 04:58:46 pm »
Lots of bees in Northern Italy until they introduced brown bears into the wild,
the industry is now dying very rapidly.

those brown bears and their mobile phones ..............
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #82 on: April 19, 2014, 09:16:01 pm »
The importance of the honey bee is so underestimated. In fact a whole verse for it is in the Quran. Why so important??????
There are at least 20,000 species of bees. The best known and most carefully studied is the honey bee. This is because we like the honey. There are prehistoric cave paintings, 8,000 to 15,000 years old, which depict people robbing bee hives. Beekeeping seems to have begun in ancient Egypt, perhaps 2400 BC. It flourished as an industry throughout Europe and the Mediterranean.

Aristotle was the first to seriously study and record the behavior of bees, although many of his theories seem laughable today. He concluded that bee larvae came from olive blossoms; he believed the honey was gathered directly from the flowers; and he strongly asserted that bee colonies had to be presided over by a male, not a female. He couldn’t accept that a female creature would be armed with a stinger. It was over 1800 years later that the “king” bee theory was challenged and finally proven false. Modern studies of honey bees are broad based and wide spread and have led to significant understanding of this industrious, efficient, fascinating little creature.

In the Quran there is a chapter entitled “The Bee.” Within the chapter, two verses cover the essence of the honeybee:

And your Lord inspired the bee: build homes in mountains and trees, and in (the hives) they build for you. Then eat from all the fruits, following the design of your Lord, precisely. From their bellies comes a drink of different colors, wherein there is healing for the people. This should be (sufficient) proof for people who reflect. (16:68-9)

So it’s God’s inspiration to build the hives, to eat from the fruits, and to create the honey. It’s God’s inspiration and overall design. Bees appeared perhaps 100 million years ago, coinciding with the appearance of the first true flowering plants. In God’s beautiful system, the flowers and the bees are dependent on each other. The color and smell of the flower is not for man, although we can and should enjoy it. It’s to attract the bees to insure the flower’s survival. And if the flower didn’t produce nectar and pollen, the bee wouldn’t survive.

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2014, 09:26:43 pm »
The importance of the honey bee is so underestimated. In fact a whole verse for it is in the Quran. Why so important??????
There are at least 20,000 species of bees. The best known and most carefully studied is the honey bee. This is because we like the honey. There are prehistoric cave paintings, 8,000 to 15,000 years old, which depict people robbing bee hives. Beekeeping seems to have begun in ancient Egypt, perhaps 2400 BC. It flourished as an industry throughout Europe and the Mediterranean.

Aristotle was the first to seriously study and record the behavior of bees, although many of his theories seem laughable today. He concluded that bee larvae came from olive blossoms; he believed the honey was gathered directly from the flowers; and he strongly asserted that bee colonies had to be presided over by a male, not a female. He couldn’t accept that a female creature would be armed with a stinger. It was over 1800 years later that the “king” bee theory was challenged and finally proven false. Modern studies of honey bees are broad based and wide spread and have led to significant understanding of this industrious, efficient, fascinating little creature.

In the Quran there is a chapter entitled “The Bee.” Within the chapter, two verses cover the essence of the honeybee:

And your Lord inspired the bee: build homes in mountains and trees, and in (the hives) they build for you. Then eat from all the fruits, following the design of your Lord, precisely. From their bellies comes a drink of different colors, wherein there is healing for the people. This should be (sufficient) proof for people who reflect. (16:68-9)

So it’s God’s inspiration to build the hives, to eat from the fruits, and to create the honey. It’s God’s inspiration and overall design. Bees appeared perhaps 100 million years ago, coinciding with the appearance of the first true flowering plants. In God’s beautiful system, the flowers and the bees are dependent on each other. The color and smell of the flower is not for man, although we can and should enjoy it. It’s to attract the bees to insure the flower’s survival. And if the flower didn’t produce nectar and pollen, the bee wouldn’t survive.

poor, naive fool
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2014, 09:31:54 pm »
We seem to have acquired a bumble nest in a brick hole above our back door, which I'm particularly pleased about as we've seen a number of dead and dying ones in the area recently.

Was wondering if there is any danger of them being aggressive/intrusive, as ideally we'd like them to stay there and survive and prosper?

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »
Lately im having to pick them up out of lawns before i cut them. Like the big bumblers, it's never small ones. They're either exhausted from working too hard or have lost their way and spent the night outside, all cold and damp and haven't the energy to take off maybe? If i place them on the back of me hand, and hold them up, most are able to take off then and whizz away. Some just cant move, poor things. I'll pop them on a wall in a sunny spot

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2014, 02:26:05 am »
More findings last week:
Taipei, April 14 (CNA) A group of Taiwanese scholars has confirmed long-held suspicions that a compound used in imidacloprid, one of the most widely used pesticides, is the culprit behind the worldwide demise of honeybees.

The results of their research show that the insects' ability to find their way home and learn how to feed are severely impaired when they are exposed in the larval stage to trace amounts of chemicals in the neonicotinoid class of insecticides, which includes imidacloprid. Yang En-cheng, a professor of entomology at National Taiwan University, unveiled the team's findings Monday showing larvae that receive doses of imidacloprid -- presumably contained in the nectar brought back to the hive by adult bees -- of as low as 10 parts per billion (ppb), will grow into adults but will be unable to learn how to gather nectar or to navigate back to their hives. Ten ppb of neonicotinoid, a product that is suspected to be the cause behind sharp worldwide declines in honeybee colonies since 2006, is not a lethal dose for the insects but can severely damage their central nervous systems, leading to the collapse of bee colonies, Yang said.

Yang observed how adult bees have to "learn" how to gather nectar by sticking out their proboscises when exposed to a scent. He found that larvae treated with low concentrations of the insecticide have this learning ability severely impaired after they emerge from their cocoons. Moreover, Yang also found that adult bees treated with 50 ppb of the pesticide appear to show signs of discomfort and cannot find their way back to their hives. Yang is among a team of researchers from the university in various fields, including engineering, that has been tracking bees by engraving codes onto them with lasers and monitoring their movements using infrared devices. France first reported large numbers of bee deaths from unknown causes in 1994, and inexplicable "disappearances" of bees were reported across the United States in 2006, Yang said. The number of honeybees, which pollinate 30 percent of the world's crops, is declining at a rate of between 10-30 percent worldwide each year, he added. The European Commission, which has long suspected neonicotinoids of being behind the problem, decided last year to restrict the use of the class of pesticide for a period of two years.

The decision was made following a report by the European Food Safety Authority -- the EU's risk assessment body for food and feed safety -- that there is "high acute risk" for bees exposed to residue of the pesticide in pollen and nectar in crops.

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=2459378
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Hollywood Balls

• Pine Wood Cock
  • Kopite
  • "Nobody grows up wanting to be a Gary Neville."
« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2014, 12:05:55 pm »
Informative. Thanks. I now know where to come if I have any bee related questions.

Happy to help bro.
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts: CAN'T LOSE!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »
Both my colonies survived the winter well and have been very active the last few weeks of nice weather.
And today, in mid April(!) one of the hives produced a swarm, most unusual, normally May is when they start to swarm, if at all.
I bagged them up in a pillow case and re-homed them into an empty hive.

As you do...

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2014, 09:06:35 pm »
Fine with no mobile phones and more bees. Just not in my fucking room.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: May 3, 2014, 08:07:32 pm »
Two bumble bee nests on our house now, bizarre.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2014, 09:01:19 am »
More investigations to be made ... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27951040

Interestingly (well to some maybe), my Bees are still doing ok so far.

I've had four swarms in May from my two hives and managed to rehouse two of them so I've now got four hives on the go.

The other two swarms flew off before I could bag them up and rehouse them so someone's got a lucky catch, though since they came from my 'Angry' bee colony perhaps their new owner won't be that delighted.

These two new colonies are still quite small so I don't expect to get any honey from them this year, but the two older colonies are going like the clappers so I'm expecting a good harvest  from them towards the end of July and into August.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2014, 12:24:04 am »

Mobiles are not going away anytime soon so they should just install hives on the cell towers.

Offline dnkw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 25, 2014, 06:36:23 pm »
Our bees are in danger again! On Tuesday, David Cameron and his cabinet are going to decide whether to allow banned bee killing pesticides to be used on fields across the UK. [1] Unbelievably, a mega pesticide company called Syngenta has just made an emergency appeal after their product was banned across Europe last year due to the risk it poses to our bees.

We’ve not got long to act. But if enough of us make a huge fuss right now, we could persuade David Cameron to throw out Syngenta’s request and uphold the ban.

Can you sign a petition to David Cameron right now demanding that he protects our bees?
https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/a-ban-is-a-ban

The powerful pesticides that Europe banned last year are called neonicotinoids - and they pose a huge risk to bees. [2] Even though there is a Europe-wide ban on these pesticides, David Cameron could override it - but only in emergency circumstances.

Bees pollinate apples, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, cauliflowers, onions, cabbages, broccoli, carrots and many many more of our fruit and veg. [3] Without bees, we wouldn’t last very long!

Now Syngenta are trying to wriggle out of the ban, even though yesterday, scientists from across the world said there’s ‘conclusive’ evidence that Syngenta’s products are killing our bees. [4] And just last week, Barack Obama called for a wholesale review of the pesticides. [5]

Matt Shardlow, chief executive of bee-friendly charity Buglife said: “If the government approves Syngenta’s kneejerk and cynical application then the public are bound to question whether ministers are too close to the agrochemical companies and too distant from the ecology that feeds us.”

Please can you demand that David Cameron puts our bees before Syngenta’s profits?

Our bees don’t have a voice, but previously hundreds of thousands of 38 Degrees members have fought for them. We’ve marched on Parliament Square, we’ve signed petitions, we’ve sent thousands of emails and we’ve challenged the environment minister Owen Paterson in person. And we’ve worked alongside campaigners from across Europe to get these killer pesticides banned.

Now, before Tuesday, we need to pull out all the stops - again - to stop Syngenta sneaking through the back door and breaking the European ban.

Click here to sign the petition and put David Cameron under pressure to uphold the law:

Thanks for being involved,

Robin, Susannah, Blanche & the 38 Degrees team.

NOTES:
[1] The Guardian - Syngenta seeks ‘emergency’ exemption to use banned insecticide on UK crops
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/25/syngenta-exemption-neonicotinoid-insecticide-ban-oilseed-rape
Farmers Guardian - Government considers neonicotinoid derogation request
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/latest-news/government-considers-neonicotinoid-derogation-request/65497.article
[2] The Independent - Pesticides linked to mass bee deaths also affect other friendly organisms including birds and fish
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/pesticides-linked-to-mass-bee-deaths-also-affect-other-friendly-organisms-including-birds-and-fish-9557959.html
[3] List of crops pollinated by bees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crop_plants_pollinated_by_bees
[4] BBC - Widespread impacts of neonicotinoids 'impossible to deny'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27980344
[5] Washington Examiner - Obama moves to save the honey bees, targets pesticides
http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-moves-to-save-the-honey-bees-targets-pesticides/article/2550000
[6] 38 Degrees blog
http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2013/04/26/the-march-of-the-beekeepers/

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #95 on: June 25, 2014, 07:35:08 pm »
If there's one thing that's killing bees it's the light in my office at work.

It's one of those big ten foot long ones that has a cover over it. Well for some reason bees just seem to love flying into it but then can't seem to get back out again and inevitably die a slow and painful death. There's about 4 or 5 dead ones in it now.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2015, 05:22:53 pm »
Bees prefer nectar laced with pesticide.

An insect neuroethologist* said on the BBC just now, they love it! its an addiction apparently

Also here

http://www.nature.com/news/bee-studies-stir-up-pesticide-debate-1.17366

* what a cool job  8)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 05:24:30 pm by kavah »

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2015, 06:59:47 pm »
If there's one thing that's killing bees it's the light in my office at work.

It's one of those big ten foot long ones that has a cover over it. Well for some reason bees just seem to love flying into it but then can't seem to get back out again and inevitably die a slow and painful death. There's about 4 or 5 dead ones in it now.

Can i ask where your firm.got the light from.i need one.bees are getting bigger im sure of it...can we change the title to are mobile phones making our bees bigger? Theyre the size of golf balls.its mental
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2015, 09:15:21 pm »
How the Internet of Things Could Save the Bees

Dan TynanTech ColumnistApril 22, 2015

It’s a concept that’s both simple and terrifying. For years, scientists have known that honeybees are disappearing at an alarming rate. Fewer honeybees means less pollination, which could lead to a rapid drop in food supplies. If the bee die-off continues, the entire human race will be threatened. We need bees.

Fortunately, researchers at the University of Minnesota may have come up with an Internet of Things device that could help prevent the bee-pocalypse.

One theory behind the massive bee collapse involves the Varroa destructor mite, a tiny, vampirelike parasite that lives inside honeybee colonies and literally sucks the life out of them, infecting them with a virus that contributes to colony collapse disorder.

In the left corner, the hardworking and industrious honeybee; in the right, the much smaller parasite, Varroa destructor mite. (Photos via Wikimedia, “Apis mellifera Tanzania” by Muhammad Mahdi Karim.)

The Eltopia MiteNot can wipe out the mites using a circuit board camouflaged to blend in with a traditional honeycomb frame made from cornstarch wax and other renewable materials. Beekeepers install one MiteNot frame inside the hive; the board’s embedded sensors detect temperature fluctuations and other environmental data, then transmit it via a 3G cellular connection to Eltopia’s cloud-based BeeSafe application.

Based on sensor data, BeeSafe can detect the optimal moment when female mites have laid their eggs, but before the male mites have fertilized them. It then sends a command back to the MiteNot frame to heat up just enough to sterilize the male mites without harming the bees.

When covered in wax, the frame with MiteNot installed becomes indistinguishable from any other part of the hive and can be reused as needed. Its great advantage is that it can fight the mites without the use of pesticides, which could also harm the bees.

The Eltopia MiteNot is still being tested, but it may be available as early as fall 2015. Hopefully we’ll all still bee around by then.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/how-the-internet-of-things-could-save-the-bees-117114866924.html

Offline DJBrenton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2015, 08:40:01 am »
Worth noting that Syngenta withdrew their application mentioned above as they said it was too late last year for farmers to use the pesticide, but would be applying again this year.
I have no children on RAWK. Anyone claiming to be my daughter is a blagger trying to bask in reflected glory.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2015, 09:09:49 am »
can we change the title to are mobile phones making our bees bigger? Theyre the size of golf balls.its mental

I agree. See also: wasps. There are some massive, massive wasps zipping around my shed every time I open the door at the moment. I watched one trying to escape from a spider's web yesterday. The spider popped out to take a look, and made a swift reverse back in to the woodwork when he saw King Wasp shredding the web. They're stripey fucking bullets with wings.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #101 on: April 25, 2015, 09:19:30 am »
Are moile phones wiping out our ees?

Proaly, yes.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 3, 2015, 10:45:33 pm »
poor, naive fool
This should be available as a RAWK template response.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2015, 02:16:19 am »
A Sharp Spike in Honeybee Deaths Deepens a Worrisome Trend

A prolonged and mysterious die-off of the nation’s honeybees, a trend worrisome both to beekeepers and to farmers who depend on the insects to pollinate their crops, apparently worsened last year.

In an annual survey released on Wednesday by the Bee Informed Partnership, a consortium of universities and research laboratories, about 5,000 beekeepers reported losing 42.1 percent of their colonies in the 12-month period that ended in April. That is well above the 34.2 percent loss reported for the same period in 2013 and 2014, and it is the second-highest loss recorded since year-round surveys began in 2010.

Most striking, however, was that honeybee deaths spiked last summer, exceeding winter deaths for the first time. Commercial beekeepers, some of whom rent their hives to farmers during pollination seasons, were hit especially hard, the survey’s authors stated.

“We expect the colonies to die during the winter, because that’s a stressful season,” said Dennis vanEngelsdorp, an assistant entomology professor at the University of Maryland who directs the survey for the bee partnership. “What’s totally shocking to me is that the losses in summer, which should be paradise for bees, exceeded the winter losses.”

Bees are not in danger of extinction, but their health is of major concern to agriculture, where honeybees’ pollination services are estimated to be worth $10 billion to $15 billion a year.

Nobody knows with certainty why honeybee deaths are rising. Beekeepers once expected to lose perhaps 10 percent of their bees in an average year. But deaths began to spike in the middle of the past decade, when a phenomenon in which bees deserted their hives and died en masse, later named colony collapse disorder, began sweeping hives worldwide.

Those mass die-offs have abated somewhat in recent years, experts say, but colonies remain in poor health, and overall death rates remain much higher than in the past.

Dr. vanEngelsdorp said increasingly poor nutrition could be a factor in the rising summer death rate. Rising crop prices have led farmers to plow and plant millions of acres of land that was once home to wildflowers; since 2007, an Agriculture Department program that pays farmers to put sensitive and erosion-prone lands in a conservation reserve has lost an area roughly equal to half of Indiana, and budget cuts promise to shrink the program further. Dr. vanEngelsdrop and other scientists cite two other factors at work in the rising death rate: a deadly parasite, the varroa mite, and pesticides.

In recent years, some experts have focused on neonicotinoids, a class of pesticides used almost universally on some major crops in the United States. The European Commission has banned the use of three variants of the pesticide on flowering plants, citing risks to bees, and questioned whether they should be used at all.

The Environmental Protection Agency said last month that it was unlikely to approve any new uses of the pesticides until more tests on the risks to bees and other pollinators have been completed.

Neonicotinoid manufacturers say that the pesticides are much safer than others they have supplanted, and that in any case, they are safe when used according to instructions.

In a news release, an entomologist at one of the major neonicotinoid manufacturers, Bayer CropScience LP, called the survey results good news because wintertime bee deaths appeared to have stabilized at a lower rate than in the past. The entomologist, Richard Rogers of the company’s Bee Care Center in Research Triangle Park, N.C., said that scientists had yet to establish a normal range for summer bee deaths.

The annual survey released on Wednesday did not directly address the causes of honeybee deaths. But it said varroa mites were a much bigger problem among so-called backyard beekeepers, who keep fewer than 50 hives, than among commercial beekeepers, who are probably on higher alert for deadly infestations.

The survey’s authors called the spike in summer honeybee deaths troubling, noting that in the past, more bees have died during the winter months than in good weather.

The Bee Informed Partnership has collected data on winter bee deaths since 2006, and it expanded its survey to cover summer deaths in 2010. The surveys are financed largely by the Agriculture Department.
Correction: May 20, 2015

An article on Thursday about a prolonged and mysterious die-off of honeybees reversed the years that the Bee Informed Partnership began collecting data on bee deaths. It was in 2006 that collection began for winter deaths and 2010 for summer deaths

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/us/honeybees-mysterious-die-off-appears-to-worsen.html?_r=0
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #104 on: May 1, 2016, 07:44:07 pm »
One for Gulleysucker or some other clever person.

A swarm of bees landed in our garden today, I would say there's a couple of hundred of them. They're now settled down and grouped together on a wall. I tried to sound knowledgeable to the kids and said the warmer weather has woken them, there will be a queen in there and they're looking for a nest.

I said that they are resting and by morning will have all flown off. My father in law reckons they'll be here to stay.  Who's right?!

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: May 1, 2016, 07:50:06 pm »
Your father in law is right that they will stay

http://www.conwybeekeepers.org.uk/nuisance-bees/
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #106 on: May 1, 2016, 07:52:20 pm »
Your father in law is right that they will stay

http://www.conwybeekeepers.org.uk/nuisance-bees/

Ah shit. Wait!...you're not Gulleysucker, I want a second opinion!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #107 on: May 2, 2016, 12:00:42 am »
Ah shit. Wait!...you're not Gulleysucker, I want a second opinion!

You rang...

Relax, a swarm in May is worth a load of hay.

You're a lucky man so get a hive, walk them in and have fun...

But more seriously, I'm assuming the swarm is likely around this size?

Don't panic as they'll probably fly away sometime in the next few days, the scouts will be out looking for a suitable place.

However, if you want to help them out but not keep them, you could contact your local beekeepers association and tell them, I'm sure someone will be delighted to come along and relieve you of their presence.

I opened up my three hives a couple of weeks ago, they survived the Winter and all seems fine in them, and I'm expecting swarming to happen later this month as it's been quite cold here until today when the Martins and Swallows have finally turned up, so have prepared a couple of empty hives to hopefully get any swarms into them.

« Last Edit: May 2, 2016, 12:07:12 am by The Gulleysucker »

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #108 on: May 2, 2016, 12:09:36 am »
Cheers Gulley!  Not panicking as such, I just wanted be proved right ahead of my father in law!

Yeah, that's about the size of it, they were quite active earlier but then looked like they had settled down for the night.  They don't bother me,but they're near the bins and don't want anyone else to get freaked by them (or vice versa!).

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #109 on: May 2, 2016, 12:34:16 am »
Cheers Gulley!  Not panicking as such, I just wanted be proved right ahead of my father in law!

Yeah, that's about the size of it, they were quite active earlier but then looked like they had settled down for the night.  They don't bother me,but they're near the bins and don't want anyone else to get freaked by them (or vice versa!).

They'll be fine, just leave them alone and they'll fly off sometime over the next few days, though if it rains their departure might be delayed for a while longer.

The queen will be right on the middle of the mass...and ps, not that I want to panic you, but that swarm is likely at least a couple of thousand...

Spoiler
And they're out to get you!!!!!!!
 ;) ;D
[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #110 on: May 2, 2016, 12:36:50 am »
Haha, making sure all the doors and windows are tightly shut now!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #111 on: May 2, 2016, 11:09:56 am »
Haha, making sure all the doors and windows are tightly shut now!

Haven't you watched any cartoons? They can open doors, if they are in a swarm... ;)

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #112 on: May 2, 2016, 11:20:56 am »
Someone beat me to it this morning,  looked outside and there was a beekeeper smoking them out. Kids got a free biology lesson anyway!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2016, 02:39:21 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qZI6lGSq1gU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qZI6lGSq1gU</a>

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2016, 11:41:10 pm »
Fuck em.

They are  only bees. Don't worry there's always GM foods.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2016, 11:48:46 pm »
Our bees are in danger again! On Tuesday, David Cameron and his cabinet are going to decide whether to allow banned bee killing pesticides to be used on fields across the UK. [1] Unbelievably, a mega pesticide company called Syngenta has just made an emergency appeal after their product was banned across Europe last year due to the risk it poses to our bees.

We’ve not got long to act. But if enough of us make a huge fuss right now, we could persuade David Cameron to throw out Syngenta’s request and uphold the ban.

Can you sign a petition to David Cameron right now demanding that he protects our bees?

The powerful pesticides that Europe banned last year are called neonicotinoids - and they pose a huge risk to bees. [2] Even though there is a Europe-wide ban on these pesticides, David Cameron could override it - but only in emergency circumstances.

Bees pollinate apples, cucumbers, strawberries, tomatoes, cauliflowers, onions, cabbages, broccoli, carrots and many many more of our fruit and veg. [3] Without bees, we wouldn’t last very long!

Now Syngenta are trying to wriggle out of the ban, even though yesterday, scientists from across the world said there’s ‘conclusive’ evidence that Syngenta’s products are killing our bees. [4] And just last week, Barack Obama called for a wholesale review of the pesticides. [5]

Matt Shardlow, chief executive of bee-friendly charity Buglife said: “If the government approves Syngenta’s kneejerk and cynical application then the public are bound to question whether ministers are too close to the agrochemical companies and too distant from the ecology that feeds us.”

Please can you demand that David Cameron puts our bees before Syngenta’s profits?

Our bees don’t have a voice, but previously hundreds of thousands of 38 Degrees members have fought for them. We’ve marched on Parliament Square, we’ve signed petitions, we’ve sent thousands of emails and we’ve challenged the environment minister Owen Paterson in person. And we’ve worked alongside campaigners from across Europe to get these killer pesticides banned.

Now, before Tuesday, we need to pull out all the stops - again - to stop Syngenta sneaking through the back door and breaking the European ban.

Click here to sign the petition and put David Cameron under pressure to uphold the law:

Thanks for being involved,

Robin, Susannah, Blanche & the 38 Degrees team.

NOTES:
[1] The Guardian - Syngenta seeks ‘emergency’ exemption to use banned insecticide on UK crops
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/25/syngenta-exemption-neonicotinoid-insecticide-ban-oilseed-rape
Farmers Guardian - Government considers neonicotinoid derogation request
http://www.farmersguardian.com/home/latest-news/government-considers-neonicotinoid-derogation-request/65497.article
[2] The Independent - Pesticides linked to mass bee deaths also affect other friendly organisms including birds and fish
http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/pesticides-linked-to-mass-bee-deaths-also-affect-other-friendly-organisms-including-birds-and-fish-9557959.html
[3] List of crops pollinated by bees
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_crop_plants_pollinated_by_bees
[4] BBC - Widespread impacts of neonicotinoids 'impossible to deny'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-27980344
[5] Washington Examiner - Obama moves to save the honey bees, targets pesticides
http://washingtonexaminer.com/obama-moves-to-save-the-honey-bees-targets-pesticides/article/2550000
[6] 38 Degrees blog
http://blog.38degrees.org.uk/2013/04/26/the-march-of-the-beekeepers/

Great post and keep up the good work.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2016, 09:08:29 am »
My hives have produced three swarms over the last 5 days.

The first two were impossible to get access to and ended up flying off, someone will get lucky, but I've just bagged up the third in a pillow case early this morning and then walked them into an empty hive.

All good fun.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #117 on: June 2, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »
Meanwhile, away from the hurly burly of the EU debate, I've had another two swarms today...

The first one I've rehomed into an empty hive taking me up to 5 colonies now, while the second one, since I have no more empty hives ready, is currently in a cardboard box in the shade awaiting collection by another Apiarist.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #118 on: March 7, 2017, 12:17:00 pm »
The willow trees are just about to come out in foliage, our Magnolia trees are about to blossom and I've just observed the first Bumble Bee of the year clattering around our garden.

Spring must have sprung for it to have awoken so early from hibernation, though there's still a chance of another cold snap yet.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #119 on: March 7, 2017, 12:19:06 pm »
The willow trees are just about to come out in foliage, our Magnolia trees are about to blossom and I've just observed the first Bumble Bee of the year clattering around our garden.

Spring must have sprung for it to have awoken so early from hibernation, though there's still a chance of another cold snap yet.

They are complete idiots. The noise they make when they hit our patio windows is ridiculous for such a small insect. Always finding stunned ones just lying there trying to get their heads back together.
Legacy fan