Author Topic: Thank goodness we didn't get Maureen O  (Read 14288 times)

Offline Clayton Moore rides again ©

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
Thank goodness we didn't get Maureen O
« on: August 23, 2004, 08:44:43 pm »

Raphael Benitez would not have been my first choice to succeed GH; I'd have gone along with lots of others for Jose Mourino.

Thank goodness we didn’t get a vote.

Waving the exceptionally attractive Russian’s chequebook about, he proceeds to turn Euro2004 into the Chelsea trials.

What a whingeing graceless conceited man he comes across as; everything is someone else’s fault.

His squad are never lucky, never in the wrong ala the Kezman pre-season sending off. Then on Saturday, he moans like hell about the elbow, choosing to ignore the punch thrown first.

He spends zillions on a team that are far from convincing and not very entertaining. He appears to want to buy the title with dour 1-0 performances and fluky wins.

He moans away like a good’un because some players don’t want to join him to sit in the reserves for most of the season.

He appears to be doing his best to demotivate some of his own players for example Duff.

The press have always favoured Chelsea even above Arsenal as the south’s answer to the “glamorous” Man Utd.

Look into their history and you’ll learn that they’ve always been a glamorous “team of all-stars” … my backside!

They had one fluky championship with an average side and one decent side in the sixties.

For the time being, the southern press are still in love with “one-nil” Mo. But give them time…

Contrast this with Rafa.

A bit faltering in his use of English in the first press conference, I liked what I saw but wasn’t convinced by his PR “presence”.

Some sections of the press have had a go at him over his English; then I got to think about Uncle Bob Paisley. If you were judged by eloquence, Bob wouldn’t even get on a shortlist these days

Then there’s Rafa’s buys. Despite having little ready cash in the bank, Parry and Moores have given him the money he needs for his well considered purchases.
The southern press are dismissing most of them because they’re not household name megastars. Hmmm reminds me of the buys Shanks and Paisley used to go in for players like Kevin Keegan, Emlyn Hughes, Ian St John. Players about to make their mark rather than baggage carrying prima donnas. I’ve never heard Bobby Robson rave about any no-mark players, he’s raving about these cheap imports. I trust his judgement.

Rafa’s press conferences are getting better almost daily; Anfield is buzzing again.

The uncommitted are being remotivated or shipped out as befits their arrogance.

I think we are about to see that we don’t need the Thai money; we don’t need the Scouser who’s so committed to the cause that he’s become a Channel Islander.

We need what we’ve got; a real man motivator; a determined stickler for detail; a man as equally excited at what he might achieve as we are; a man with a lot of similarities to the greatest OOTer of them all, a Spanish flavoured Shankly.

Thank god we didn’t get Maureen.

© 2004 HH
« Last Edit: October 8, 2004, 06:43:37 pm by Clayton Moore rides again »
Stupidity is the basic building block of the universe.

Journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
Re: Thank Goodness we didn't get Maureen O
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 08:46:34 pm »
I loved JM and his style, but looking at his style of play and absoulte gobshite antics.... we are lucky the club chose Rafa.

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 08:51:09 pm »
Im happy; and quietly confident.

hoonin

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 08:55:22 pm »
I loved JM and his style, but looking at his style of play and absoulte gobshite antics.... we are lucky the club chose Rafa.

Rashid, you are priceless. Merriam Webster will need to redefine the word fickle to include your name!

Offline Rashid

• 99% of posts are bullshit, the other 1% get deleted. Unloved, unwashed, and untidy.
  • Main Stander
  • Resident Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2004, 08:56:28 pm »

Rashid, you are priceless. Merriam Webster will need to redefine the word fickle to include your name!

Still rate him as up there with the best in Europe mate, just don't like his newly found attitude. Almost plays to the cameras.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2004, 08:57:46 pm »
I definitely think we have the right man in Benitez - he has twice won the world's best league, whereas Mourinho - with his Houllier-esque tactics - has succeeded in the cups (and the minor league of Portugal). This is a far bigger test, as it's a 38-game season.

I think Mourinho will find that you need a more expansive game to succeed in England, and I dearly hope he fails. Getting ten men behind the ball isn't going to result in a better season than Wenger's Arsenal.

It was funny to hear the Journos on Jimmy Hill's Sunday Supplement this weekend, wondering how Chelsea would fare against teams that play expansive football, such as Arsenal and "perhaps Benitez's Liverpool" !

Suddenly we are being talked about as a side that will intend to play good football.

I also think Mourinho will wind a lot of journos up, and make himself very unpopular, and it will put even more pressure on him and his players when the press jumps on his side's every poor performance. Chelsea will have to play this season as if they are defending champions - due to the money they spent and the fact everyone wants to put one over against them - and yet they don't have championship quality or experience yet. You only have to look at how rubbish Drogba - who terrorised our defence, and Newcastle's last season - looks under the pressure of a big price tag and huge expectations. I'd love to see them fail.

Offline Brick Tamland

• Helllllo Jen
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love lamp
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2004, 08:58:04 pm »
a man with a lot of similarities to the greatest OOTer of them all, a Spanish flavoured Shankly.

:duh

God, have the comparrisons started already?

He's doooomed, we're all doooomed, doooomed I'll tell yer....
"I'm Brick Tamland. People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks."

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:37 pm »
Bit early to judge either manager isn't it?
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 09:03:34 pm »
True, both yet have to prove what they can do. One thinks it a one season cinch, the other is building and trying to achieve something more lasting

The comparison was about style, and I don't think Maureen will ever learn that.

Watch for rattle out of pram when they get beat; and they will  and soon ;)

Journalism is people who can't write interviewing people who can't talk for people who can't read

Offline Life

• goes on.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2004, 09:06:15 pm »
I think whatever he's doing, he's doing deliberately.  And if he starts off dull, and then becomes more exciting - and ensure they keep winning along the way - then I think he'll be doing bloody well.
They were battered by Birmingham on Saturday (was the feature game on 5 live) but won 1-0.
Too early to judge, certainly too early to slag him off when he's won 2 out of 2.
"Why should they be used in any other way? It wouldn'a be fair for one thing. Natural ability is far too precious tae be messed about wi'."

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2004, 09:08:03 pm »

You're fucking priceless Rashid, you fucking wank over him the whole of last season and now you can't stand him?

Personally I think he's great entertainment, shoving it up the arses of some journo pricks. Did anybody see Jimmy Hill's show on Sunday, load of journos seething over the lad trying to degrade him by saying he had no pro career as a player.

;D

Offline Wendi

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2004, 09:35:36 pm »
I like Mourinho. I do get sick of the same old cliches to the press from managers and players and at least he has the gumption to speak his mind and be a little different.

Sack Parry.

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 09:42:23 pm »
Bit early to judge either manager isn't it?

I agree, too many people judging people already, only 2 games into the season ffs.

Offline Barney_Rubble

• #
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 09:42:56 pm »

Fleet Street will fucking slaughter him...

:-X
87:13

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2004, 10:28:56 pm »

Dont think he gives a shite though does he? He maybe arrogant but he has a special aura and self belief about him. You get the feeling he will walk through walls to succeed and he'll make sure anyone who works with him is the same. I don't want to draw comparisons but both he and Benitez are two of the top young managers in Europe and I'm just very glad we got one of them.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Tetti

• RAWK Agony Aunt. Has a thing for gay singers...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • When you walk....
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2004, 10:30:32 pm »

You're fucking priceless Rashid, you fucking wank over him the whole of last season and now you can't stand him?

;D ;D ;D

How true
Never give up

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2004, 10:40:11 pm »
Did anybody see Jimmy Hill's show on Sunday, load of journos seething over the lad trying to degrade him by saying he had no pro career as a player.

Yup, saw that. Steve Curry of the daily mail I think it was talking about how he never got past sunday league level and was only Bobby Robson's translator. Least he didnt turn into a fat bastard sitting around a breakfast table on a sunday morning wanking over Wayne Rooney

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 10:50:34 pm »
Least he didnt turn into a fat bastard sitting around a breakfast table on a sunday morning wanking over Wayne Rooney

Or a fat slapper sitting on a table on a saturday night wanking off Wayne Rooney
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2004, 10:54:21 pm »

Or a fat slapper sitting on a table on a saturday night wanking off Wayne Rooney

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2004, 11:14:10 pm »

Why what do they do there these days?  ;D
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Byrnee

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are Magic, Everton are Tragic
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2004, 11:20:45 pm »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.'
Bill Shankly

01 06 22 23 47 64 66 73 76 77 79 80 82 83 84 86 88 90 20

77 78 81 84 05 19

At The End Of The Storm I

Offline coltmanaman

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2004, 12:15:29 am »
I'm extremely happy with our choice of manager.  I honestly believe we there isn't any other out there better suited to the job than Rafa.  However I also like Mourinho.  A lot will think he's being very arrogant but personally I think he's playing a game with the media, a dangerous one but nevertheless I don't believe he means everything what he says.  I think he's hoping people & the media 'start' to hate Chelsea as it could create a siege mentality & help the bonding process of his players.  Of course I could be reading far too much into it & he could be a complete twat but its how I assess the situation.  Mourinho & Rafa have two completely different styles yet history so far dictates they both get results.  The premiership this year will be very intriguing.

Offline Red_in_Holland

• arl arse
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack is the best defense.. btw we have both
Re: Thank goodness we didn't get Maureen O
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2004, 01:46:50 am »
At one stage of history.. it was Paisley and Clough.

Today we have Rafa and Mourinho.

I see Mourinho as being a bit of a Clough, meself.

We all know who finally had the best record..  I am real happy to have Rafael Benitez for us.

RiH
Los Rojos Conquistadores
"It's good to have a challenge in training. If you play against one of the best strikers in the Premier League almost everyday, that can only help you when the game comes around each weekend."

Asked if he had worked out how to stop Torres, Hyypia added: "I'm working on it, I'm working on it.

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2004, 06:45:15 am »
Mourinho´s has done very well the last couple of seasons and his arrogance towards Ferguson was nice to see too at the time. He sure as hell has qualities, but it remains to be seen how much time he´ll get from Abramovich given both his expansive signings and his comments.

And in the defence of Rashid (altough fickle might be your middle name) wanking over any manager that showed some results last season is rather excusable when you see how we "played".
See I wouldn´t have mind Maureen, given what I´d seen of him - but on my top-list of managers was Raynald Demeniox(sp) of Real Socidad and a certain Valencia manager and to a extent the sublime del Neri, all three favouring a high pressure 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 concentrating on team-work, patience, skill and pace.

Oh, seems like I drifted a bit. Bah, I agree with  The Masque of Clayton Moore  :)

happy

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2004, 08:02:28 am »
calm down calm down.you scousers really should CALM DOWN.6points not playing well not bad hey.you go to spurs game in the bag what happens ,your boss takes of that big sissy up front then you are playing with your backs against the wall.as for you saying the press loves chelsea, well i don,t know what paper you read,thats if you can.just face it you were once a good side, but now it,s time for you to play catch up .is it true that liverpool has asked the f.a. that insyead of half time.would it be o.k if you could have a siesta.no more oranges at siesta time but tacco,s and paella!.so much for the england chants chelsea had to suffer at anfield.what do you sing now ole ole!

ToasT

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2004, 08:08:11 am »
Your childish ill-argued torrent against the Chelsea manager made me laugh. Look at the league table, 2 games , 6 points, 2nd only to the Gooners who appear to be carrying on where they left off last season (unfortunately).
You Scousers ..living on past glories...you're going nowhere, winning nothing. A mid-league show this season at best now you've sold your best player.
Mourinho?...you should be so luck lucky lucky.

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2004, 08:25:39 am »
Raw nerve s obviously been touched.

ToasT

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2004, 08:56:50 am »
Nope, read the post again, it made me laugh  not get wound up.

ClaudioR

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2004, 09:09:25 am »
Come on folks....2 games and you're comparing managers...different people , different styles... Last year Chelsea had Mr Nice guy and we got slated in the press when ever CR did anything wrong. Yet he was the nicest man in British football....a real gent. But that didn't win us anything. Now we got a real b@stard in charge and guess what, people don't like it.... ;D....The press have always hated Chelsea firstly 'cause of Ken Bates and now because of the money, Abramovich and Mourinho.

Personally I have nothing against Liverpool and your new manager, though it seems you have something to say about ours. Wait till the end of the season and lets see if you manage to close the large gap of last year. Dont make comarisons after 2 games about his style, his attitude or his management. 2 games 6 points..surely that speaks for itself...two difficult games ManUre at home and Birmingham away......

Keith Carson

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2004, 10:31:10 am »
Sounds like you lot.
You've played the most boring football imaginable for the last 5 years then you draw a game and win one and you're back to disrespecting everyone else.
No doubt you'll be trying to qualify for the Champions League again this time next season.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2004, 10:40:24 am »
Sounds like you lot.
You've played the most boring football imaginable for the last 5 years

Perhaps. And we got slaughtered for it. Also, we didn't have to spend £200m in 12 months to play that way. Still, we won four cups in the last three years. Remind us of Chelsea's haul in that time?

But it's funny that the first mention of Chelsea on this site gets a load of lip-wobbling Chelsea fans on here, getting all uppity. Any success you attain will be tarred by the fact that you bought it. All clubs spend money, but never in such obsene amounts, and usually the money was earned by the club - not simply given to them.

Good luck to you. But you'll never be 'champions' in everyone else's eyes, as we were, and as Arsenal have been lately. You'll always be just mega-rich (until Abramovich gets bored).

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2004, 11:30:39 am »
Cheesy Chelsea invasion, you guys must be worried/blind. Fact is Mourinhio has taken you to where we were four years ago. Prepare to be the nearly men again this year
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Sydney-Red

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2004, 11:47:58 am »
Cheesy Chelsea invasion, you guys must be worried/blind. Fact is Mourinhio has taken you to where we were four years ago. Prepare to be the nearly men again this year

Jose Houllier, or Gerard Mourhino?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2004, 11:53:13 am »
Good to see some Chelsea fans on here  :wave .. I heard a rumour (from a mate living in Chelsea but not interested in football whatsoever - runs a fetish club) that Mourinho likes wearing high heels and stockings around the house ... you heard anything similar? Cracked me up, but he seemed pretty convinced  ???

Anyway, Chelsea have eeked out 2 good ugly results - Mourinho for all his arrogance has alot to learn about English football, but he'd have taken 6 points no problem. Am not sure why some of us are sniping at Mourinho in particular tho - (he'll be a Clough for the modern game) but can understand the countrywide disgust at how a team has been assembled, even tho a foundation had been built for it. Should leave a little sour taste in the mouth if you ever win the title. I'm sure you'll say it won't of course.

Still think Arsenal and Wenger have too much for everyone but could be a very interesting battle for 2nd...

Offline GabyAlonso

• Main Stander
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2004, 12:18:58 pm »
write on this little clubs web site

Oh dear  ::)  little club? Yeah, alrite mate, you dont quite understand do you? You're not even the biggest club in you're city. You've never won fuck all, and no matter what you ever achieve will never be remembered because you buy it.

Little club  :butt
I was made for Liverpool, and Liverpool was made for me.

Offline Ian-TN

• The slightly shop spoiled Jon Hall
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2004, 01:13:46 pm »
Good to see some Chelsea fans on here  :wave .. I heard a rumour (from a mate living in Chelsea but not interested in football whatsoever - runs a fetish club) that Mourinho likes wearing high heels and stockings around the house ... you heard anything similar? Cracked me up, but he seemed pretty convinced  ???

:lmao :lmao
To an interpreter, regarding excited Italian journalists:
'Just tell them I completely disagree with everything they say.'

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2004, 01:22:00 pm »
I'm onto you people deleting posts. Good on you, your lives must be so much the more satisfied.

RAWK tries to keep a certain level of quality to the posts. This is a football forum, about football and nothing else.

I deleted your post as it was just trading insults (about shagging the guy's mum), just as I removed an even more offensive post from some Chelsea muppet.

muz

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2004, 03:56:38 pm »
How can we be living off past glories.which was the last English team to win a european trophy and which is the last team to win three trophies in a season.Liverpool,and all in the last 4 years,which ironically is the length of time Chelsea last won a trophy.

dboo

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2004, 04:27:06 pm »
I am an Arsenal fan and was gladwhen Houllier was in charge as I knew Liverpool would never win the title under him.  I watch a lot of Spanish football and when Benitez was appointed, I told my Liverpool mate that he would do well.  He was unconvinced but he is now beginning to believe.  Benitez has made all the right decisions including talking about changing Gerard's style of play.  For me that was the reason Gerard was never world class.  He needed t learn to change his style of play.  The best midfielders know when to keep it simple.   Selling Owen convinced me even further.  he reminds me so much of Wenger when he arrived and everyone wondered who he was.  Benitez will do better than Mourinho. I was never worried when I heard he would take over Chelsea.  Watch Xavi Alonso and Garcia play.  They will excite Liverpool fans.  I would have loved to see Alonso at Arsenal.  Nunez will also do well.  He is tidy midfielder who will give balance to the team.

Liverpool fans, enjoy Benitez and thank your lucky stars you did not get Mourinho.  

• Anny Roader
  • docendo discimus
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2004, 04:47:22 pm »
I am an Arsenal fan and was gladwhen Houllier was in charge as I knew Liverpool would never win the title under him.  I watch a lot of Spanish football and when Benitez was appointed, I told my Liverpool mate that he would do well.  He was unconvinced but he is now beginning to believe.  Benitez has made all the right decisions including talking about changing Gerard's style of play.  For me that was the reason Gerard was never world class.  He needed t learn to change his style of play.  The best midfielders know when to keep it simple.   Selling Owen convinced me even further.  he reminds me so much of Wenger when he arrived and everyone wondered who he was.  Benitez will do better than Mourinho. I was never worried when I heard he would take over Chelsea.  Watch Xavi Alonso and Garcia play.  They will excite Liverpool fans.  I would have loved to see Alonso at Arsenal.  Nunez will also do well.  He is tidy midfielder who will give balance to the team.

Liverpool fans, enjoy Benitez and thank your lucky stars you did not get Mourinho.  

It'll do for me if he gets us back in contention with Arsenal who are without doubt the current measuring stick for all the Prem.

A class team put together with craft, within affordable budgets and with a real class act of a manager.

Arsenal are the only other Prem team I have always  respected.