Author Topic: Cable/sat tv boxes  (Read 551047 times)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Re: Dodgy cable boxes
« Reply #40 on: July 3, 2011, 10:25:00 pm »
This is exactly the thing im after, thats a cracking deal you have there, how easy (noob friendly) is it to sign up to these card sharing things? do they charge extra for the "multi room" service? you mention you can use your sky dish, does this suffice with gettin all the channels? id love to use my own sky dish as it would save me climbing roofs and all that!  :)

Is there any web sites that can clue me up abit like an FAQ or something? im totally confused when it comes to things like this  :(

Also, does the pc need to be on all the time??

i really appreciate the help! thanks

It's easy to sign up for the deals they usually offer a free 24 hour test so you can try it out. All the channels I get I just get with my Sky dish.

I paid for my Card share though Paypal and they seemed very friendly saying that they would call me if I had any problems setting it up.

I'm not sure about Multi room I'm sure FiSh77 could answer that question he's the one that helped me.

You need to have your Dreambox connected to you Router.

You could try this site.

http://euro-kings.com/vb/forum.php
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41 on: July 3, 2011, 10:27:20 pm »
ok - now this has really got me interested :-)

regarding recording and watching. I see limitation mentioned here in regards to if recording one channel you can't watch another. Is it because of the box or because of the way card sharing etc works? Any known way of overcoming it? Like most men, I'd like to be able to watch something else whilst my wife records something really enjoyable for her but mindnumbing and painful for me  ;D

I think it's because the Dreambox I have only has one tuner I think you can get them with 2 tuners like the Sky Box but they cost a lot more.

I think that is right.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
  • Smile....It confuses people!!
« Reply #42 on: July 3, 2011, 10:37:40 pm »
It's easy to sign up for the deals they usually offer a free 24 hour test so you can try it out. All the channels I get I just get with my Sky dish.

I paid for my Card share though Paypal and they seemed very friendly saying that they would call me if I had any problems setting it up.

I'm not sure about Multi room I'm sure FiSh77 could answer that question he's the one that helped me.

You need to have your Dreambox connected to you Router.

You could try this site.

http://euro-kings.com/vb/forum.php

thanks! youve been really helpful!  :)

FiSH77 are you about....!  :D

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: July 3, 2011, 10:38:20 pm »
I think it's because the Dreambox I have only has one tuner I think you can get them with 2 tuners like the Sky Box but they cost a lot more.

I think that is right.

Yup. Seeing that in the case of the 8000HD!

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: July 3, 2011, 10:41:29 pm »
if i was going to use the sky dish i already have would it just be a case of unplugging the lnb's from my sky hd boxes and plugging it straight in the dreamboxes? ie a simple switch over?

can the dreamboxes be setup wirelessly?
« Last Edit: July 3, 2011, 10:53:53 pm by Teapot »

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #45 on: July 3, 2011, 11:22:18 pm »
Anyone thinking of using a pay server should be aware you are risking a visit from the cops. There have been arrests in the past which is what put me off the whole scene.
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline Teapot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: July 3, 2011, 11:29:24 pm »
Anyone thinking of using a pay server should be aware you are risking a visit from the cops. There have been arrests in the past which is what put me off the whole scene.

ive read a few stories of a few peeps getting caught, its a risk im willing to take  :)

Offline Socrates7

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #47 on: July 3, 2011, 11:53:54 pm »

Having said that I'm sure there is way to connect using proxy server..... didn't get that far with my research. However if you are paying someone you can always be traced from your credit card/ pay pal account. All depends on your appetite for risk...... Mine is very low!
Dalglish: "If the supporters like me, then it's only half as much as I like them."

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #48 on: July 4, 2011, 12:15:48 am »
if i was going to use the sky dish i already have would it just be a case of unplugging the lnb's from my sky hd boxes and plugging it straight in the dreamboxes? ie a simple switch over?

can the dreamboxes be setup wirelessly?

Thats all I did then when you get the card sharing it's just the case of put a file in the right place on the Dreambox.

I think you can get Wireless for the Dreambox I have seen them on Ebay.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #49 on: July 4, 2011, 12:17:17 am »

I guess no more of a risk then downloading stuff from the Torrent sites.

I once got a letter from Warner brothers for doing that and my broadband provider at that time cut me off.

I just changed provider and carried on anything illegal is a risk.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2011, 12:20:44 am by Trada »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: July 4, 2011, 08:47:33 am »
What about the Vu+ duo for this purpose? any experiences?

I like the fact its dual tuner ready and not the 800 odd notes the Dreambox 8000HD would cost

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline JasonF

• Frenkie says "Ilaix, don't do it"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #51 on: July 6, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »
I'm looking at getting one of these too, been out of the dodgy satellite game for a couple of years (got sick of having to buy new CAMs and cards every 5 mins) but I've decided to ditch Sky for the new season and get one of these Linux boxes for card sharing.

Anyone know anything about the Clarke-Tech ET9000? Looking for a twin-tuner one and I've heard it compares favourably to the Vu+ Duo (practically the same price everywhere) and the Dreambox DM9000 is out of my price range.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: July 6, 2011, 09:45:05 pm »
I'm looking at getting one of these too, been out of the dodgy satellite game for a couple of years (got sick of having to buy new CAMs and cards every 5 mins) but I've decided to ditch Sky for the new season and get one of these Linux boxes for card sharing.

Anyone know anything about the Clarke-Tech ET9000? Looking for a twin-tuner one and I've heard it compares favourably to the Vu+ Duo (practically the same price everywhere) and the Dreambox DM9000 is out of my price range.

It's a toss up between the two for me (Vu+ duo and ET9000). These two are both dual tuner. The Dreambox ones are too high in price and so out of range for what's reasonable. Sat Shop fellas push the ET9000 based on spec but can't get much detail on how to fix for purpose i.e. install image then cccam and edit cline/fline

Still researching to be honest. It's whichever one is easiest to work with for what it needs to do for this purpose. I found some relative dummy guides on Vu+ duo but not finding anything similar on ET   :(

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #53 on: July 6, 2011, 10:43:28 pm »
It's a toss up between the two for me (Vu+ duo and ET9000). These two are both dual tuner. The Dreambox ones are too high in price and so out of range for what's reasonable. Sat Shop fellas push the ET9000 based on spec but can't get much detail on how to fix for purpose i.e. install image then cccam and edit cline/fline

Still researching to be honest. It's whichever one is easiest to work with for what it needs to do for this purpose. I found some relative dummy guides on Vu+ duo but not finding anything similar on ET   :(

the ET9000 is supposedly easy to setup, unzip the image and put it on a usb stick, insert the usb stick in the receiver and turn the power on, it should find the image then just press ok to flash it

cccam can be installed from the addons menu in the PLI image, not sure about any other images but if they don't have any cams available on their addons server then you can install it manually by ftping the ipk file to the temp folder then go into the system menu and find the ipk installer, edit the .cfg file with wordpad then ftp to the etc folder

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 6, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
the ET9000 is supposedly easy to setup, unzip the image and put it on a usb stick, insert the usb stick in the receiver and turn the power on, it should find the image then just press ok to flash it

cccam can be installed from the addons menu in the PLI image, not sure about any other images but if they don't have any cams available on their addons server then you can install it manually by ftping the ipk file to the temp folder then go into the system menu and find the ipk installer, edit the .cfg file with wordpad then ftp to the etc folder

Thanks mate. Over the two would this be the one to go for?

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: July 6, 2011, 11:26:40 pm »
not sure

the ET-9000 looks better specs wise and has good reviews, i've not read any bad reviews of the vu+ duo either and it's slightly cheaper

i'd have a read on here first to get a bit more info on the ET-9000, at the moment i'd say the vu+ duo might be the better option as there's more support from developers and it should be easier to get help if you run into problems but i've not had chance to properly read up on the ET-9000 yet so i'll probably change my mind in a couple of days ;)

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 6, 2011, 11:35:33 pm »
Cheers mate. Appreciate the link.

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #57 on: July 7, 2011, 02:26:19 am »

Thanks, just read their comparison:

Some of the extra features of the Xtrend ET9000 over the VU+ DUO include the following:

• Broadcom 7405 400MHz MIPS processor
  • 512MB DDR RAM
  • Picture in Picture support
  • Blind Scan Support
  • Tuner loop-through
  • Multi-Function universal remote control

They do make it sound like the better choice for the money. The look of the receiver would go better with my other AV equipment too I reckon, will probably go for the ET9000 when I've done a bit more reading.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »
ET9000 is what I went for. I'll write up a dummies guide for set up as well as some links to really helpful sights.

Now to get to grips with EPG's and channel lists and making this thing SWMBO friendly  ;D

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 10:50:30 pm »
ET9000 is what I went for. I'll write up a dummies guide for set up as well as some links to really helpful sights.

Now to get to grips with EPG's and channel lists and making this thing SWMBO friendly  ;D

Getting ready to go for this at the end of the month when payday comes round and have been looking at the Vu+ or the ET9000 would be good to have a bit more info about the ET9000 as I think that may be the one to go with.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 11:04:35 pm »
Sat Station is a good site. They run satshop aka lavatronics in Leicester and they sent the box pre imaged.

ET9000 is better specced. Vu+ box been around a lot longer so very supported but that doesn't mean the ET box isn't. Far from it.

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 11:28:15 pm »
Sat Station is a good site. They run satshop aka lavatronics in Leicester and they sent the box pre imaged.

ET9000 is better specced. Vu+ box been around a lot longer so very supported but that doesn't mean the ET box isn't. Far from it.

Thanks for that will check it out

Offline JasonF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Funny T-Shirts
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:01 pm »
Looking at the ET9000 too, think it's the one I'm going to go for, looks superior to the Vu+ in spec and the twin tuner Dreambox is not in my price range, planning on grabbing one at the start of the season. Looking forward to your write up on it :)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 09:42:16 am »
Had the Eurovox box for a long while and really enjoyed it but the signal got scrambled when virgin went to nagra 3 encryption.

Went back to virgin after that and went legit.

Just wondering where the technology is right now and what the best system is to use.

Heard things like LAN boxes and card sharing schemes.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17:49 am »
still at CS tech wise. To be honest I wouldn't have had a clue on any of this if it hadn't been for this thread and the knowledge of RAWKites

In simplicity, it's a box connected to a dish with the ethernet connection providing the link to cardsharing server to provide the keys for decryption of signal.

systems vary. I went with the ET9000 box due its price point and dual tuner capability.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2011, 10:23:06 am »
I'm tempted by some of what I've read on here.

On problem for me though is that from a quick look at the Vu+ and ET9000, I can't see either coaxial or optical outputs for audio.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2011, 10:38:23 am »
I'm tempted by some of what I've read on here.

On problem for me though is that from a quick look at the Vu+ and ET9000, I can't see either coaxial or optical outputs for audio.

optical on ET (spdif)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2011, 11:13:02 am »
Yep so there is, I just looked at a fairly low res image of both on eBay and didn't see the optical out on the back of the box.

I'd have preferred coaxial though as my sound system has 1 x Optical In which my PS3 uses, but can get a splitter or get a converter.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2011, 11:34:19 am »
Yep so there is, I just looked at a fairly low res image of both on eBay and didn't see the optical out on the back of the box.

I'd have preferred coaxial though as my sound system has 1 x Optical In which my PS3 uses, but can get a splitter or get a converter.

I know the feeling! HDMI out on Sky box cannot send audio in surround so have it hooked via optical to amp. I have other optical conn's i can use but I don't think it will let me split again in the way I have for the sky box

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2011, 01:43:22 pm »
is there an idiots guide to this around?

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2011, 02:28:33 pm »
is there an idiots guide to this around?

I started as an idiot learning  ;D

I'm gonna pull together though what I did to set up. Will be next week due to work/family commitments over next few days.

Hopefully it will be as simple as what to start with, buy this, set up that and off yer go
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 02:33:17 pm by Harinder »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2011, 06:20:35 pm »
You could buy two DM800’s as opposed to one box. I actually had two under the TV and reprogrammed the remote (needs to be genuine) so that I could operate the two devices without a conflict. I’ve since moved the second one to the bedroom with its own dedicated steerable dish. I can record on the box upstairs whilst watching something else downstairs, especially handy if the signals are being provided from two different satellites. You can then FTP the recording between boxes or to an HD media player or stream the video directly between the boxes or stream to a laptop via the web interface.

I have looked at the VU+ in the past, which on the face of it looks a very capable unit with a competitive price. But you need to remember that the Dreambox is now a mature product, it had teething problems in its infancy with both its hardware and software but they all seem pretty much resolved. There is a massive support community for both genuine and clone boxes providing images, plugins, drivers, softcams and general support or advice. As satellite technology changes the boxes need to keep up to date, for example if a broadcaster changes encryption system the softcam may need to be updated. Generally the developers update the Dreambox version first and the rest follow, if there is enough demand. Sometimes you will be lucky and the Dreambox software will work on other boxes but there is no guarantee. The Dreambox isn’t perfect and there are some things that bug me like no Divx or DTS support on the DM800 variant (I think others DMs have). But I think it is the most future proof of all the boxes available and extremely flexible and capable.     

Cheers mate. I bit the bullet and went for the ET9000. I might go for a DM800 in a bedroom later though

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 04:43:08 pm »
Has anybody looked into the Kryptview boxes. My mate has one and said it's pretty decent, only downside i can see is it has to be connected to teh net to work.

I got this email in work today:

Three men who took part in a massive fraud by selling set-top boxes which allowed people unlawful free access to Virgin Media's cable television channels have been jailed for a total of 15 years.
The men manufactured, imported and supplied more than 400,000 set-top boxes across the UK during a three-and-a-half year operation, a jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court was told.
The scam, described as the largest commercial fraud to have been prosecuted in the UK, is thought to have cost Virgin Media some £144 million a year.
The set-top boxes were sold between January 2005 and November 2008 to suppliers and dealers across the UK and Northern Ireland.
Although it was unlawful to use the boxes, consumers were tricked into spending hundreds of pounds on the devices because they gave access to Virgin Media's cable television services without subscription.
A Virgin Media spokesman said the company's counter-measures regularly disabled unofficial boxes while the roll-out of new encryption technology across the cable network meant that all such set-top boxes were now useless.
Virgin Media launched a private prosecution following a large-scale joint operation with the Metropolitan Police at Redbridge, Essex, and New Scotland Yard.
Munaf Ahmed Zinga, 40, from Plaistow, Essex, who traded the Eurovox-branded set-top boxes through his business Rayyonics Ltd, got an eight-year sentence. His assistant, Mukandun Pillai, 39, from Hainault, was jailed for six years. The jury convicted them of conspiracy to defraud.
The third man, Salim Patel, from Plaistow, was jailed for 12 months. He had earlier pleaded guilty to his part in the conspiracy by working as a delivery driver for the company, transporting the set-top boxes to suppliers and collecting cash in return.

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 04:12:04 pm »
Can you just buy these and plug them into your cable and off it pops or do you have to fiddle about with it???http://www.eurovox.org/categories/Cable%252dBoxes/Eurovox-EX7000-HD/
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:56 pm »
Can you just buy these and plug them into your cable and off it pops or do you have to fiddle about with it???http://www.eurovox.org/categories/Cable%252dBoxes/Eurovox-EX7000-HD/

Usually the box needs an image (software install that acts like the control between the unit and items you want to run). Will also need to be setup to pick the dish settings too.

You gotta fiddle with em all  :o

;D

Offline kev_goss

• Lost: Remote control puppy. Please help reunite a tearful child with his pride and joy
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Goodnight sweet girl gonna miss you
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2011, 08:43:38 pm »
Fook that then I struggle with our kettle so I got no chance with that.

And we not got a dish its cable so that's that then
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:53:11 am by kev_goss »
It is very important to generate a good attitude, a good heart, as much as possible. From this, happiness in both the short term and the long term for both yourself and others will come.
Dalai Lama

Offline griffic

• Anny Roader
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:20 pm »
I decided to take the plunge, and went for one of these,

http://www.blademedia.tv/bm7000.html   only £150 and does everything I need so looks like a good starting point.   Reviews are all good and the guides I have found it appears to be fairly straight forward to set up.

It arrived this morning so will have a play about with it when I get home from work.

If anyone can PM me the detaisl of a decent CS server it would be appreciated.

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 08:01:36 pm »

http://www.blademedia.tv/bm7000.html   only £150 and does everything I need so looks like a good starting point.   Reviews are all good and the guides I have found it appears to be fairly straight forward to set up.

It arrived this morning so will have a play about with it when I get home from work.

Mate - that one you gotta go searching for  ;D

http://euro-kings.com/vb/forum.php good start

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »

Have you got a seperate dish or are you just hooking up to an existing Sky dish?

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #79 on: July 28, 2011, 10:40:37 am »

Best to ask for a free 24 hour try first

Lots to try on the Euro Kings site.