Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5717907 times)

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #40960 on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:32 pm »
Well as long you're honest. Wrong, but honest.
How many attacking players best seasons are at 28+?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:28:26 pm by Chris~ »

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40961 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:43 pm »
Selling Sanchez makes no sense, he has the work rate and desire to go with his ability and could fit into really anything a new manager would look to do, can press score goals and assist, if anything the worry should be that his talent and performances are deserving of a bigger stage and better team than Arsenal, say Bayern.

Ozil is different though for me he is very much expendable, especially if club comes with a 40m or 40m+ bid.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #40962 on: January 12, 2017, 02:44:20 am »
What option do Arsenal have if neither Sanchez nor Ozil extend?   They can sell in the summer to recoup a decent fee, or lose them for free in the summer of 2018.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40963 on: January 12, 2017, 10:00:31 am »
Chris, why would selling our big players be a good thing? They are about to hit their peak, once they begin to decline we can do 2 year contracts with less high wages and less of a backlash if we sell them. If they decline a year early, we can take the finical hit comfortably being very rich.

We sell them now? We get less then they worth just as they are about to hit their peak years, we might not be able to buy the players we want becuase we nosedive down the list of "what clubs do I want to go to" becuase Arsenal have formally declared our new name is "we have no ambition to win anything ever again." Our squad would be weaker, fans would be in revolt. There is no upside.

Fair enough, how come the contract hasn't been sorted yet then? Waiting to see if top 4 is achieved first or is that not the issue?

Your board/Wenger should really not be letting it get to this stage though where it's such an unknown what he is doing. Either announce you're leaving or sign a new deal and end the problem.

Possibly Wenger doesn't quite know what he wants. Our contracts usually sorted by now, club give Wenger what he wants, he signs when he wants to. Wenger fears retirement but he is aware of growing unhappiness, that if we get nowhere near a title challenge with last season and this season then he may be asking himself if he can take us further, he may be hoping that some success would mean he can quickly sign if some popularity behind him.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40964 on: January 12, 2017, 10:28:25 am »
Koscielny, Giroud and Coquelin have signed new contracts.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #40965 on: January 12, 2017, 10:43:00 am »
Am I mental for thinking Koscielny is more important to them than Ozil is?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40966 on: January 12, 2017, 11:43:18 am »
Chris, why would selling our big players be a good thing? They are about to hit their peak, once they begin to decline we can do 2 year contracts with less high wages and less of a backlash if we sell them. If they decline a year early, we can take the finical hit comfortably being very rich.
No way is 28 just about to hit their peak years. I'm assuming they're looking for the standard 5 year contract which would take them to 33, are you really expecting them to just start declining at that age? And surely having that say £200k a week being spent on a player contributing is better than one, possibly two not?

It's not an easy thing to do and you won't look to sell them, clubs won't trust themselves to replace them and will worry about their image, especially Arsenal with their reputation for it and split fan base. Van Persie though for example was sold at probably at the right time. Sign him to a 5 year contract at 28/29 and you'd have got one extra year out of him and then nothing but a massive financial burden. Maybe it'd have won you the league, but given you've hovered around 70 points for years no matter who you have I doubt it.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40968 on: January 12, 2017, 04:25:22 pm »
Smacks of desperation.

On another note Alexis would be welcomed at Bayern.  Can replace Ribery and I'm sure we can offer whatever wages he's after.  Can be close to his mate Vidal as well.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #40969 on: January 12, 2017, 04:27:29 pm »
Not really. Surely. :lmao
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40970 on: January 12, 2017, 05:05:01 pm »
If you read through their tweets, they have made the banner but it's also a bit of fun as well, they've been having a laugh about it the past day or 2.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #40971 on: January 12, 2017, 09:39:36 pm »
You could have a lot of fun as an Arsenal fan, thinking up ever-twee'er ways to wind up your own support.  With any other club you'd know they're just having a laugh, but with Arsenal you're never quite certain.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40972 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:18 am »
Am I mental for thinking Koscielny is more important to them than Ozil is?

It's a reasonable thought but in terms of the impact to morale and reputation, would have been less damaging then Ozil going

No way is 28 just about to hit their peak years. I'm assuming they're looking for the standard 5 year contract which would take them to 33, are you really expecting them to just start declining at that age? And surely having that say £200k a week being spent on a player contributing is better than one, possibly two not?

It's not an easy thing to do and you won't look to sell them, clubs won't trust themselves to replace them and will worry about their image, especially Arsenal with their reputation for it and split fan base. Van Persie though for example was sold at probably at the right time. Sign him to a 5 year contract at 28/29 and you'd have got one extra year out of him and then nothing but a massive financial burden. Maybe it'd have won you the league, but given you've hovered around 70 points for years no matter who you have I doubt it.

Could be 4 year contrast. I would expect decline around age 32, Sanchez probably earlier then Ozil given how much of his game is about energy and his refusal to learn to rest. Again, we can afford to take the wage hit if need be and I believe the cost of wages are taken out of transfer budget in the year contract is signed.

Van Persie's body was made of glass. Ozil and Sanchez have not had injury after injury wrecking their bodies like it has Van Persie. No, doubt we would have won the league with Van Persie.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #40973 on: January 13, 2017, 02:55:02 pm »
How many attacking players best seasons are at 28+?

Lots. Suarez hit 40 goals last season.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40974 on: January 13, 2017, 04:50:42 pm »
Folk criticise Arsenal on here for the wages they pay some of the squad players, but just seen today Sakho is on over £100k a week!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #40975 on: January 13, 2017, 04:53:13 pm »
Folk criticise Arsenal on here for the wages they pay some of the squad players, but just seen today Sakho is on over £100k a week!

Wasn't bought to just be a squad player. He was in the first 11 when he got here, what's happened since has relegated him to the reserves.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40976 on: January 13, 2017, 04:57:31 pm »
Wasn't bought to just be a squad player. He was in the first 11 when he got here, what's happened since has relegated him to the reserves.

I appreciate that but guys like Giroud & Koscielny are probably the just getting near that the now & they've been first team players at Arsenal for 4 years nearly, & are more decorated internationally as well.

It's not a criticism, I'm just surprised after some of the comments on here about some of our players.

Ive also just seen Lingard is getting a new contract at Utd for £95K!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 05:41:48 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40977 on: January 13, 2017, 05:01:23 pm »
I appreciate that but guys like Giroud & Koscielny are probably the just getting near that the now & they've been first team players at Arsenal for 4 years nearly, & are more decorated internationally as well.

It's not a criticism, I'm just surprised after some of the comments on here about some of our players.

Sakho came from PSG mind you, and in retrospect had attitude problems even then.  Very few players seem to sort their life out and turn it on, despite the amazing 'man manager' they go and play for.

Koscielny I'd consider much more important than Ozil, who is by far the flashier player and very good at what he does, but Koscielny is the player we need in form to win something.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40978 on: January 13, 2017, 05:12:22 pm »
Ozil flashy?  He doesn't exaggerate with his dribbles, doesn't showboat, doesn't try 50 shots a game.  He's very effective at giving assists or a key pass that leads to a opportunity.  If you had better strikers than Giroud and that Spanish lad, Giroud would easily be on 30 assists a year. 

Kosc is replaceable, Ozil is much harder to.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #40979 on: January 13, 2017, 05:14:07 pm »

Ive also just seen Lingarrd is getting a new contract at Utd for £95K!

Thats the main thing ;D

Absolutely incredible.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40980 on: January 13, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »
Thats the main thing ;D

Absolutely incredible.

I played football to a very low level here in the US and gave up because if you're shit by US standards you're never gonna make it. If Lingard can make 95k a week I could easily have gotten 10k a week from some schmuck team. Unreal.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40981 on: January 13, 2017, 05:20:04 pm »

That wasn't always the case though, certainly not while Sakho was first team for us. Sakho was first team for France in the 2014 WC alongside Varane, with Koscielny as their understudy.

Koscielny and Giroud have only surpassed him on the French national scene since he and Benzema were dropped for off-field activities.

Not sure who has been criticising Arsenal for having highly paid squad players though, it's a sound strategy. I wish we paid a bit more for better squad players in the past, if you look how weak we were outside of our first XIs in 2009 and 2014 it probably was the difference between having 20 league titles and being stuck on 18.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40982 on: January 13, 2017, 05:47:27 pm »
Thats the main thing ;D

Absolutely incredible.

According to whom?  I find it incredible that Lingaard - a bench player - would get paid more than several starters.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40983 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:36 pm »
According to whom?  I find it incredible that Lingaard - a bench player - would get paid more than several starters.

Been reported in various places but it seems its comes from the paper that shall not be named.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40984 on: January 16, 2017, 07:37:03 pm »
The season is just meh, I have struggled to really get into it this season even when I watch every game. In the 13/14 season when we ended the drought, that buzz I got in the latter stage of the season was amazing. Every game just feels like a nothing game. We aren't doing anything in the league, the performances have been shocking this season. I am amazed we are still in the top 4 considering how bad we have played.

Hopefully Wenger will call it a day and we can plan a new season with a new manager.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #40985 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »
The season is just meh, I have struggled to really get into it this season even when I watch every game. In the 13/14 season when we ended the drought, that buzz I got in the latter stage of the season was amazing. Every game just feels like a nothing game. We aren't doing anything in the league, the performances have been shocking this season. I am amazed we are still in the top 4 considering how bad we have played.

Hopefully Wenger will call it a day and we can plan a new season with a new manager.

Who you after as your new manger then?

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40986 on: January 16, 2017, 09:01:46 pm »
Ozil is one of those players, when good he's excellent, when's the chips are down he's invisible

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40987 on: January 16, 2017, 09:07:51 pm »
Ozil is one of those players, when good he's excellent, when's the chips are down he's invisible
He doesn't like it when the other team fights back, that goes back as early as the 5-1 game in 2014.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #40988 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:33 pm »

That has been an Arsenal problem in general. They've had squads that should have been good enough to win titles in the past but barely muster a challenge. We've managed as many genuine title challenges as Arsenal have in recent times despite having weaker squads for the most part. Non factor in the Champions League for a decade.

I'd be delighted if they lost Ozil.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #40989 on: January 16, 2017, 09:43:51 pm »
Regardless of whether they sign a new contract in the next couple of months, you expect a 100% from them, if the Costa situation poisons Chelsea I can see you having a damn good shot at the title.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40990 on: January 17, 2017, 09:10:26 am »
That has been an Arsenal problem in general. They've had squads that should have been good enough to win titles in the past but barely muster a challenge. We've managed as many genuine title challenges as Arsenal have in recent times despite having weaker squads for the most part. Non factor in the Champions League for a decade.

I'd be delighted if they lost Ozil.

I've got to disagree with you slightly, in the past we've had glaring weaknesses in our team, never mind our squad, in comparison to our rivals anyway that has stopped us truly challenging. In the early part of this barren run we had guys such as Almunia, Denilson, Senderos, Eboue, Bendtner etc getting way too much game time. Perhaps on paper if all the players remained fit we could have challenged better, but we lost guys like Vermaelen, Diaby, Ramsey, Rosicky, Eduardo, lately Wilshere all out for over a year, nearly all have never came back the same player, & Van Persie managed 1 season largely uninjured.

I'm not saying your squad was any better when you guys challenged, but a title challenge is made up of a few different factors, 1 of them is being able to field a full strength team over a period of time & getting results which helps build up momentum. The 2nd thing which really helps is having a few top class attacking players at the top of their game for a decent stretch winning matches for the team (Hazard - Costa, Vardy - Mahrez, Sturridge - Suarez, Gerrard - Torres, Silva - Aguero just a few examples. We've never had both of these, certainly at the same time.

I'm not saying we're just unlucky, blameless etc because obviously we should have managed the situation better, especially in being too loyal to injury prone players & not replacing them well / quick enough. Only in the last couple of years i feel as a fan the squad was getting close to being good enough. There were still weaknesses in the team up until this summer that weren't addressed (a proper partner for Koscielny, a top class physical midfielder, a top class striker), the jury is still out whether these have even been addressed correctly.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 09:16:51 am by ScottishGoon »

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #40991 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:50 am »
Who you after as your new manger then?
Would like  to know this to. Honestly not sure who out there capable of replacing Wenger

klopp would of been ideal but we nabbed him first :D

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40992 on: January 17, 2017, 12:05:44 pm »
Simeone, Jorge Sampaoli, Pizzi. I'd also look at Vieira or Henry, even Bergkamp. Plenty of options we can go for. The time of the Wenger reign is over. No leader can go on forever.

Offline MerseysideBrum

• Legacy Fan
  • Show them the way to go ome
« Reply #40993 on: January 17, 2017, 01:28:24 pm »
Simeone, Jorge Sampaoli, Pizzi. I'd also look at Vieira or Henry, even Bergkamp. Plenty of options we can go for. The time of the Wenger reign is over. No leader can go on forever.
Comical that you'd even consider the latter 3. Sentimentality has no place in choosing a manager. It'd be like us replacing Klopp with Gerrard before he even works anywhere else.
The reds are coming up the hill boys.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40994 on: January 17, 2017, 01:39:05 pm »
Comical that you'd even consider the latter 3. Sentimentality has no place in choosing a manager. It'd be like us replacing Klopp with Gerrard before he even works anywhere else.
Why not give it a try? We haven't won the league for 12 years, Wenger doesn't know how to win the league now. I'd rather fail miserably while having a go than settle for top 4 mediocrity. I am not arsed about finishing in the Champions League places every season. If anything I would prefer if we weren't in the competition for a few years.

The Europa league would be a new experience, something different. The main issue is boredom among our fanbase right now, lets try something different.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #40995 on: January 17, 2017, 03:03:57 pm »
Replacing Wenger with someone who hasn't managed at any level would be the stupidest move a club has made since we replaced Rafa Benitez with Roy Hodgson.

Personally I think they're destined to have a slump after he leaves regardless of who they get in.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40996 on: January 17, 2017, 03:30:07 pm »
Replacing Wenger with someone who hasn't managed at any level would be the stupidest move a club has made since we replaced Rafa Benitez with Roy Hodgson.

Personally I think they're destined to have a slump after he leaves regardless of who they get in.
Could go the other way and we become champions of England again within a 2-3 year period. Lets go for it is what I say. Wenger has to go.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40997 on: January 17, 2017, 03:59:10 pm »
Could go the other way and we become champions of England again within a 2-3 year period. Lets go for it is what I say. Wenger has to go.
Would be an incredible achievement if it did. Wenger is Arsenal.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #40998 on: January 17, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »
Would be an incredible achievement if it did. Wenger is Arsenal.
I wouldn't go overboard. We did exist prior to 1996. We actually achieved a hell of a lot in English football before Wenger turned up at Arsenal too.

Offline thelinnen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #40999 on: January 17, 2017, 04:32:46 pm »
I wouldn't go overboard. We did exist prior to 1996. We actually achieved a hell of a lot in English football before Wenger turned up at Arsenal too.
So did Man United before Ferguson.