Author Topic: Round Table - Liverpool v Zenit St Petersburg  (Read 23398 times)

royhendo

Round Table - Liverpool v Zenit St Petersburg
« on: February 22, 2013, 08:02:14 am »
Man, what a ride.

You have to love them on nights like that. Your heart swells, your soul yearns, your bits and bobs twitch in anticipation... then an early blow takes the wind from your sails.

But what an opening hour of football eh? A truly great show.

The talking points.

Suarez is a gift from the footballing Gods.

Enrique is, on his game, relentless and swashbuckling.

Agger can't half dribble.

Our back three, at all levels, have to learn to play into pressure.

The removal of Henderson and Allen allowed Zenit to start playing again, and things shifted.

We aren't a million miles from being a very decent side on this showing. Constant upgrades will help, but they can play. 

Over to you guys.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Round Table - Liverpool v Zenit St Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 10:31:45 am »
What a night. It will soon be forgotten because we're out of the Cup. And that's a shame because Liverpool 3 Zenit 1 ought to be on that famous roster of great European nights, alongside Auxerre and Roma if not quite Inter, St Etienne and Chelsea.  The players were excellent, the Kop was excellent and the occasion was magnificent. Zenit - a very good side - won't face a harder game in this competition this season. Maybe they'll win it now. But I think any neutral watching last night would conclude that the real loser is the Europa Cup. The competition still needs more volts running through it. It would have been a wonderful thing if Shankly's Red Army had been able to descend on Amsterdam.

We have the makings of a good team though and our chance will come. Luis Suarez is just fantastic. It wasn't a nice thing to see him on his knees at the end. It looked like the end of something. But we shouldn't get too melodramatic. This is a player who throws a minor tantrum when he's subbed at 5-0. So of course he feels defeat as bitterly as the most hardened Kopite. He should hold his head high though. I also think he knows that he's at a club with a future.

Agger's dribbles? Yes Roy. But his stupendous blocks and tackles too. It's an incredible thing - and says much about the apparently enduring status of LFC - that he's still playing for us and not Barca or someone. Ditto Glen Johnson.

I enjoyed Jose Enrique's performance again too. It was lovely to see the Hulk turn into Mr Blobby with every 50-50 challenge with our left back.

The subs? I don't know. Perhaps it was a mistake taking Joe Allen off. He knitted things together well in the first 60 minutes. But Henderson had looked a bit bewildered by the occasion and I thought Assaidi gave us more options. Zenit did an unusual thing after the 3rd goal which was to press us high up the pitch. It was high-risk but it worked and stopped the last twenty minutes becoming a siege in front of the Kop. But we still produced chances. Of course the substitute we really wanted was Sturridge or Borini - someone to get beyond Luis.

But like every other Red I feel good this morning. And proud. I'm sure the players do too. And there's still a lot to play for.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 01:06:48 pm »
I don't think we can honestly do a Round Table without mentioning the Carragher shaped elephant in the room.

The tie was not lost in St Petersburg, as Rodgers seemed to indicate. 2 0 down was a challenge, sure, but make that 3 0 down with an away goal for the other lot and suddenly, we need a bigger comeback than St Etienne, than Olympiakos. It is to the credit of the players and the crowd that they made it such an entertaining and competitive game but that attempted back pass was the pivotal moment of the tie, turning a difficult situation into a nearly impossible one. Scoring a hatful against a second string Swansea side is one thing, but Zenit have quality all over the pitch and were never going to crumple.

It was a cruel twist in Carragher's final season and an unfortunate one.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 01:23:02 pm »
I never saw it Corky.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Cassiel

• Legacy Fan
  • Lord, I can't go back there...
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 01:45:53 pm »
It was stirring stuff, and yesterday evening I was bouyed and energised and proud. But today I feel flat. Heroic failure can feel good for a while, but it doesn't nourish the soul. When it wears off it's still failure. I felt the same when we went to Stamford Bridge and drew 4-4 in the CL Quarter Final and that was unarguably a greater achievement, and even more stirring because Chelsea were thrice the side Zenit were (but then so were we...) Fuck heroic failure to be honest.

Carra's allowed a mistake in my opinion and I doubt anyone will suffer worse from it than he will. He'll be devastated. We played well to get back ourselves into the game and Luis was astonishing, though I'd have settled for him scoring one at Zenit and one less here...I genuinely thought we'd do it because the crowd was magnificent and all momentum was with us. And then we made the double sub. I'm not someone who believes subs radically alter a game. But the timing of this, just after we'd scored and were on fire, was a bit weird. That's without taking into account the players who were subbed off and on. Five more minutes, even if he felt there were tiring legs they would have been galvanised by the crowd and the situation. Instead, even if it didn't give them a foothold they got a modicum of purchase. I thought Henderson was excellent and his energy was needed for the final 30. Allen did look knackered but as I said another five or ten might have helped us.

I hate to be critical, because I do think the manager is taking us the right way and we are getting better. We were a joy to watch at times last night. But he does make some strange decisions. As I said i rarely get too agitated by subs, but that was just headscratching. I'd quite like one of our excellent tactical bods on here to offer an explanation beyond fresh legs, if there is one.
Looks like I chose the wrong day to feed the pigeons...

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:24 pm »
I thought the game showed exactly where we are - against West Brom you could question commitment, nerves, question the atmosphere etc but last night that was us as fired up and willing and determined as we can get and it showed where we are lacking currently

ok Carra's mistake gifted them the goal they needed but Agger and Enrique gifted them the ball second half and neither was punished. Pepe miskicked one which could have been just as bad - the elephant if there is one is the lack of a striker - with Sturridge we win the game- that mistake like a hundred others in the match by different players showed us both the lack of quality and our awareness of that lack of quality - we hauled ourselves back to 3 and then and then - well it all went a bit flat, our legs went (or went off) and Zenit gathered themselves - the final thirty you could see the effort but we were lacking

I'm not sure what BR is doing with Henderson, he provides the legs that others dont have - Stevie G great as he is didn't have it in his legs last night to drag us over the line - two or three times you saw him, the ball, the opposition player and knew 2 years ago he was favourite for it and not once did he make it yesterday - he's still a great player but a different one now - neither Allen nor Henderson were imaculate but they were everywhere maybe the sports scientists have worked out they tire but its the managers job not theirs to read the game and stripping our midfield as we did similarly against West Brom of two players at once seemed daft then and still seems daft and both times the momentum just drained away

Suarez up front on his own - meant we just didn't have the threat going forward to genuinely threaten as we do with Sturridge - set pieces ok and what a fantastic strike the 3rd was - brilliant - outstanding whatever word you like - but it disguises how short we were upfront - how many head in hands moments did we actually have yesterday?

we saw exactly the same against West Brom - they'd gone at the start of the 2nd half but we didn't make it count - yesterday at 3-1 we couldn't make it count - not through any lack of will or commitment - thats why we should be proud of the club today because we gave it everything - but  we dont have the fitness or the quality yet - those epic nights quoted were often en route to winning the competition this team does not have that quality to win but next season if BR can build on this.............

this was a great performance by an average side - its all we can ask - if anything it highlights once again how we hamstrung ourselves at the start of the season - BR will hopefully have learned - hopefully we can build a side in teh summer that gives him genuine options to play as he wants to play and then we go from there

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

royhendo

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 11:50:08 pm »
For the record, re Carra. "Our back three, at all levels, have to learn to play into pressure." was a euphemism. ;)

I dunno - that at least removed any doubt that we had to go gung ho, didn't it?

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 11:52:49 pm »
ok Carra's mistake gifted them the goal they needed but Agger and Enrique gifted them the ball second half and neither was punished. Pepe miskicked one which could have been just as bad

If we have to talk about Carragher's mistake at all - and I'm not sure we do - then it's best we talk about it honestly rather than resort to this garbage.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 12:10:22 am »
If we have to talk about Carragher's mistake at all - and I'm not sure we do

We don't. But we have to acknowledge it. There probably isn't a whole lot to say about it. It wasn't characteristic, not a symptom of an underlying anything and not a reflection of our team or our manager. Carragher has never been a player who makes those sort of mistakes. But it changed the tie so there it is. Another dramatic twist in the storied annals of our club, and this time a deus ex machina.

We set up right, we created a lot and we comfortably had the winning of the game, as the scoreline confirmed, due in no small part to the Uruguayan genius in our midst, but we got decked by an aberration from a stalwart who generally doesn't do aberrations. Such is the nature of things. Personally, I'm calm. I understand that supporting Liverpool Football Club comes with a certain amount of drama. I would expect nothing less.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 12:16:12 am »
Enough positives fo rme to be contemplating what minute to get off and book me flight for Basel at one stage, when we got teh third I had no doubt.

Actually thought Henderson did well given a difficult task, play wide midfield and still get there to support Suarez, think he was most often closest to Suarez of anybody in the first half, ran himself into the ground and growing each week. Yes, we left ourselves over-exposed to early but ultimately the error that saw us go out was never really appeared as a result of that or any particular pressure, in some ways I hope it pricks somethink within Jamie that might make him think again about what he might have to offer next year.

So many positives to take from last night and the last few weeks, even with Oldham and West Brom, taht I more optimistic than I ever have been about Rodgers.

Luis just fucken wonderful by any standards, but across the board there were encouraging performaces. Still convinced had we supported the manager better on 31st August we may be looking at a different season now, but I suppose that only bears well for next year. We're certainly coming to the conslusion of the season a better team with more options tahn the one which started it.   
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 12:20:06 am »
If we have to talk about Carragher's mistake at all - and I'm not sure we do - then it's best we talk about it honestly rather than resort to this garbage.

wise words as always I expect no less
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 12:24:45 am »
We don't. But we have to acknowledge it. There probably isn't a whole lot to say about it. It wasn't characteristic, not a symptom of an underlying anything and not a reflection of our team or our manager. Carragher has never been a player who makes those sort of mistakes. But it changed the tie so there it is. Another dramatic twist in the storied annals of our club, and this time a deus ex machina.

We set up right, we created a lot and we comfortably had the winning of the game, as the scoreline confirmed, due in no small part to the Uruguayan genius in our midst, but we got decked by an aberration from a stalwart who generally doesn't do aberrations. Such is the nature of things. Personally, I'm calm. I understand that supporting Liverpool Football Club comes with a certain amount of drama. I would expect nothing less.

Was a mistake, end of, it happens to the best, including the Urugyan genius. In some ways it made the game, it certainly stoked a reaction from the players. We don't know what would have happened without it, we might have gone through, who knows? It made it more difficult but ultimately I think 99% of the fans in the ground would have took needing a goal to go through with half an hour to play. It was in our hands, which we wouldn't have thought at 3-0.

Maybe the lack of options for thast last 30 paid, maybe if we'd signed Sturridge in August or Dempsey or both, maybe if we hadn't exposed Sterling so much, maybe if Carrol were on the bench? Who the fuck knows in reality, its not asn exact science and its a science not many of us understand anywhere near as much as we'd liketo think.

I just know I enjoyed myself, I came away feeling for a couple of the players and the manager but there was an overwhelming feeling that maybe things had started to change a bit, we'll see.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:44:29 am »
I dont normally post in these but just wanted to show some appreciation to the supporters at the game, you did the club proud and created what looked and sounded like a great atmosphere and I dont think we would have come so close without that.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 01:07:18 am »
I was so confused when Allen and Henderson were brought off. I think we'd have snuck it if they'd have stayed on.

Suarez is a gift from the gods.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 01:31:04 am »
I dont normally post in these but just wanted to show some appreciation to the supporters at the game, you did the club proud and created what looked and sounded like a great atmosphere and I dont think we would have come so close without that.

Its a shame that the atmosphere being good is very much the exception these days rather than the rule.

Your right the better the buzz around the ground the better the performance.

The match showed us some tantalising pointers for the next season or two. Lucas controlled the midfield and Allen getting forward was much better than when he is just playing in front of the back 4.

Enrique & Downing have improved beyond imagination.

I am still baffled at times by Brendan, I really dont understand why he took Jordan and Joe off, yes we needed another goal but the grew with the extra space the got when the subs came on.

I dont know why we persist with Raheem when he clearly needs time out - He is to young to play his way out of the dip. It reminds me of the David James time when he was left in the firing line and eventually left us for pastures new. Raheem may follow the same route if he is not rested.

Isn't Suarez something else awesome on this form

Offline belfast-connection

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:04 am »
1. Yorkykopite is right  - Zenit began pressing our back four like a pack of dogs after the 3rd goal and it worked for them quite well. We didnt' look comfortable with it although maybe it was due to having to adjust to a completely new feature in the match as it hadn't been there before. But did they gift us momentum by not doing it earlier?

2. The fact that they began that pressing could explain our drop in momentum just as much as the subs as the two happened pretty much simultaneously. The subs might not have been the thing that lost us the momentum after all.

3. I still wouldn't have changed the side at that moment - at least another 5 or 10 minutes to see how we were goiing and I felt, and the crowd felt, we were doing fine at that stage. But overall putting Assaidi and Sterling on, if an attempt to try and stretch a game, wasn't a bad idea when Zenit were looking jittery and had the weight of Anfield's history on their shoulders.

4. Bringing Shelvey on, and the use of him recently, did/does confuse me a bit. I know who I'd pick out of a tiring Henderson and Shelvey on his current form.

5. Given all BR's talk of a real quality No.10 in the summer is our midfield heading for a bit of an identity crisis. If we get a quality No.10 and insist on playing him is there a role/ room for the legs of Henderson and Allen? Are we not better plumping for a solid defensive mid and seeing how we get on until January at least?

6. If we miss Sturridge so badly, as has been the common consensus since he's stared, should we thinking about a Sturridge deputy for the  bench. Is Borini that player? Personally I don't see it although I'm not saying he's not going to be a good option to have around. It's difficult to say much about him on this season's evidence other than he's a trier and he looks like he's someone who should be scoring a lot of goals in terms of his movement and the amount of times he turns over the ball in advanced areas.

7. Zenit will go on and win the thing now. But they'll know they're jammy gits. Neto hopefully will get the Red he earned himself over those two legs and will get nothing. Hubacan looked like a useful versalite CB/LB type that could add quite nicely to our squad.

8. Missing Europe already. Fantastic game.
HE SAID ‘BIGGER’ PEOPLE ‘BIGGER’. OK, MOVE ALONG PEOPLE, THERE’S NOTHING TO SEE HERE

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 03:34:47 am »
This was an incredible tie, what a ride indeed! It summarizes our season in more ways than one - we crush teams by starving them off the ball, dominate the games and then get our ass whipped... Carra's mistake was just what you read on the label - a mistake (so was Pepe's though it went unpunished). We made 2-3 mistakes in Russia and got two goals against. Under normal circumstances, this is not enough to lose a two-legged tie, but that's football. I actually thought that this was one of the very few games this season that proves that we have the makings of a good team. All we need to do is to eradicate the mistakes, and we're almost there. All our eggs are in one basket now - qualifying for the EL. Let's hope it works, or it will be difficult to keep hold of some important players (and no, I don't mean Suarez and Lucas).
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 05:58:14 am »
One of the thing that worries me is our play with the ball in the back 4, we struggled all game there. Im not sure our defenders will ever be able to play that at the level we need to make it work so we either need new defenders or we need to be more direct.
Zenit were preety smart putting pressure on us when we tried to play from there so it needs to be sorted, it was also a problem against Manchester United in the away game. If under Roy we hoofed too much, I think we are hoofing to little nowadays. To me its all about the balance because if teams are pressuring you up front then they have less men in the back to fight for the balls.

Offline soberphobia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:47 am »
Really enjoyed the match as it showed us at some of our best and worst. The failure to score from a hatful of chances in the first tie was ultimately telling. We have had to dominate games to win for most of the season and this match with Zenit was just like our season pre Sturridge. 180 minutes of football and dominate most of them yet score 1 goal from open play. It happened so often early in the season it got a bit boring.

Our Central defence looked prone to making an error on occasion and struggled to play the ball out with any real conviction. We were always a work in progress this season games like this one have just reiterated the areas we need to improve. Our energy and tempo were terrific as was our ability to pass and move. More good than bad this match.
24 hours in a day 24 cans in a carton coincidence?

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 07:25:44 am »
It wouldn't have been Liverpool if we had done it the easy way, and when Suarez struck the third it seemed a mere formality that we would score a fourth but alas it was not to be. Taking off Allen and Henderson was perhaps not a good move in hindsight but then again Allen was tiring and Brendan I believe brought Assaidi and Shelvey on to add more directness to our game.

Absolutely gutted for Carra, especially as its his last European game. Hopefully he might now reconsider his retirement.

All in all the players and the supporters can hold their heads up high.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 08:35:19 am »
I'm not suggesting anyone is, but it would be totally unfair to lay all the blame at Carra's feet for our exit. It was a horrendous mistake no doubt. But shit like this happens. We should have had at least 1 away goal in the first leg, but didn't. That played as much part in us going out as Carra's mistake.

At the time, I was happy enough with the subs. Bringing on pace and trickery against a side on the ropes was, in my opinion, a great idea. It just didn't work out as Zenit didn't sit back, and the onslaught never really came. It was great to watch though and I was certain a forth was inevitable but just so frustrating that bar Shelvey's snapshot, there wasn't really any clear cut chances after we were level in the tie.

I thought Witsel was outstanding for them, and wouldn't mind seeing him in Red next season. But that guy Netto. How the fuck did he manage to go 90 minutes without being booked. Must have conceded half of Zenit's fouls on Thursday.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2013, 11:21:44 am »
Felt really upset for Carra but he was outstanding after it and i think Reina could have done better or at least made it harder for the Hulk, that said the game was like a throwback for me, passion that has been missing on and off the pitch was evident for all to see, we can build on the foundations of that game,
The players were immense and no matter what the hindsight experts say i feel the subs were right we needed a goal and other than a glorious set piece nothing was really happening up front. For me and i might be wrong here Allen and Henderson are secure players rather than ones that gamble or play an expansive game. Shelvey was a gamble yes but for me a gamble worth taking, Assaidi did well again a gamble but worth taking especially as Henderson had run himself into the ground.
In the end we fell just short but what a glorious European night of football, a lot of the younger player will have grown up in that game, and i feel its a bit sad we have not got a game this weekend because the momentum from that game needs maintaining through to the rest of the season.
plusses from the game loads:
Attitude throughout the team
Suarez free kicks let him have most of them from now on
Lucas imperious best again
Gerrard linking up well all over the pitch
Allen and Henderson brilliant 60 minutes
Downing another 8-10 performance
Enrique like a high speed train with the agility of a gymnast.
Agger great run for the first free kick and best game for a while
Assaidi nice cameo, Shelvey nearly got the goal, needs to stop studying the how to tackle DVD by Scholes though.
Reina as above needed to give Hulk a harder option but i am being over critical perhaps.

Rodgers passionate as hell when the goals went in and throughout the game i want more of that in the future from him.

In the end for me we looked like a team all together The manager, the players, the supporters, all passionately wanting the same thing,  and that has been missing for me at times this season.
How anyone can come away from that game criticising anybody beggars belief, we did everything we could to get through but over the two legs it just wasn't to be, luck plays a part in these games as well and other prem teams had our share on the night!

Still get palpitations with this messing around at the edge of our box though!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline benitezthered

• Kopite
  • Oh Campione...
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2013, 11:44:30 am »
Excellent performance on the whole. We were relentless for a long period of the game, that's probably one of the few times this season that (admittedly fleetingly) Brendan's 'vision' has been truly reached.

Now for the negatives: weird substitutions. Rodgers fucked up there. Had that Suarez free kick not just gone in, then I certainly would have made the changes. Having just scored I would have kept the side the same - at least give them another five or ten minutes together.

Secondly, again it's individual errors that are again killing us. Whenever we lose (on the whole) we're not outplayed. In fact over the last two years how many times have we been truly outplayed, out-thought and out-fought? I'd suggest no more than five times (and one of them would be Oldham). In nearly two whole seasons, that's not bad at all. However we've lost many, many more games than those five - mainly because we just can't help making these individual errors. Suarez and Henderson in the first leg, Carragher the other day. I really don't know what the answer is. Brendan can't stop stop Reina rushing out at City, glue Agger to his man, etc, etc.

On the whole - I'm clueless to where we are. I think the lads on TAW said it, there's a very compelling argument that within a couple of years we could be right up there; there's an equally good argument to suggest that we're regressing - even from last season.

Hopefully some good results in the league will give us momentum and confidence going into next season and get us nearer to the positive side of that dichotomy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 11:46:24 am by benitezthered »
Come the fuck in, or fuck the fuck off...

Offline Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2013, 12:07:48 pm »
Still get palpitations with this messing around at the edge of our box though!

I don't, but I can sort of understand those who do. But it's the 'price' (if that's how you see it) that must be be paid if we are to do all the nice things you like. You can't have one without the other.

Liverpool's current ability to work the ball between the lines and allow players to move forward with (or alongside) the ball (rather than simply whacking it up field at the slightest pressure and chasing it) is what allows us to get Luis Suarez on the ball in promising positions further up the pitch. The defence has taken on the responsibility of isolating opponents far from their own goal and creating room for our most devastating players further up the pitch. So it should. That's a major part of its job.

Think back to poor old Torres in his last 18 months chasing a series of hoofed balls into the corners of the field with zero support and no-one in Red anywhere near him. There was no 'messing around' at the back in those days.   

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »
So close...

Thought I'd give myself a couple of days to think on the game, and my opinion since then hasn't changed - we deserved to win. I thought it was perhaps our best performance of the season. Certainly at Anfield anyway. Let's not kid ourselves here, Zenit are a good team, and we restricted them to hopeful punts up to Hulk in the hope he would churn something out for them.

Couple of things I wanted to pick up on. How good was Joe Allen? After half an hour, my Twitter timeline was full of people saying he was having a stinker and should be hauled off ASAP. Why is that I wonder? He was absolutely fantastic during the hour he was on the pitch. People will always take the piss out of his pass statistics (as if it's a bad thing), ignoring the fact that he was taking the ball in tight spaces, turning and getting the Zenit midfield on the back foot. They couldn't get a grip of him. There was one brilliant moment when he scooped the ball over 2 Zenit players to release Suarez inside the box. We need to give him time. He'll get there.

Lucas was brilliant. Hopefully that can be the norm rather than the exception from now on.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:02 pm »
Well that was a game, eh?

That was the Liverpool that people have missed this season, the Liverpool we've been really wanting to see through all the ups and downs and false starts.
Anfield was a fortress once more, you would not want to have been on the opposing team, that noise... not only intimidating and off-putting but loud... and scary.

We were fantastic for large parts of the game and absolutely poured forward at times, we overran them and looked like testing the keeping and worrying the defence with every single attack.

I could not have been happier with the lads, the crowd and the performance.... this was The Liverpool... this could have been ANY of those great European Nights.

I've seen people say that the tie was lost in the First Leg... I disagree, we gave ourselves a lot to do and didn't make it easy, certainly with our form this season you would have got long odds on a turnaround, but we knew.... the Liverpool fans knew it was possible, we had faith, belief and have seen greater comebacks than this before.

Then Hulk scored after the Carragher mistake... the disappointment palpable, all of the belief and faith and certainty, for that moment, was gone...there was a hush...a disbelief.
But no... the lads weren't having it,  we started playing and moving the ball and pressing them and controlling the game and within ten minutes we had our goal.... this was it, IT WAS ON....Suarez steps up..he means business, smashes it through the gap in the wall and BAM!! What a goal... oh wow...

Everyone who cheered that goal knew that this was possible, this was the start of another miraculous comeback.
Another before half time and we were really rocking.. great skills from Enrique and then Little Joe Allen popping up!! YES!!!... not only was this possible but we may actually roll them over, they were looking scared, lost, fouling almost every time we attacked, looking panicky, Luis was absolutely terrorising them....they couldn't handle him, Henderson was penning them in and linking up with Suarez, this was going to happen, this was definitely possible.

Another foul on Suarez, Luis is champing at the bit to take it...  Suarez strikes a WORLD CLASS Free-kick, just a sublime strike, one we will never tire of seeing...this really is going to happen.... the momentum, the crowd, we are in the ascendency and we have 30 minutes left to find a goal.

And then we make two substitutions, at the same time, seconds after that goal goes in.... both.... together.
One was on the cards, Allen looking tired, he'd run himself down and sure, Assaidi would offer us the width, more attacking flair.
But Henderson... hang on... what? The reason we have them pegged back, we're controlling the midfield, we are dominating them and all over them in waves of attacks.

Well of course, there is no one defining moment.

Luis could have had four.

We could have had a penner

Carra could have just lumped the ball out.

But we absolutely should have not brought those subs on so quickly after the goal goes in.
We should not have made both subs together and surrendered the control that we were so enjoying and exploiting.

The argument was raging in the post match thread and lots of nonsense being spouted about all sorts of things

"We lost it after the first leg"   (except we did enough on the night to win and actually did win the game?)

"You couldn't know what would happen if we'd left the players on 10 more minutes"  (no but would it have hurt, we were flying at that point and had just scored, it was ludicrous to make that change at that time)

Whatever the reasons and whatever people want to say... however you cut it and however long you talk about it, nothing will change, we are out after an absolutely valiant and fantastic effort... couldn't have asked for more.
SO proud of the team... SO proud.
If we can get to a place where these performances are not a rare treat saved only for the biggest matches, but are commonplace and just part of how we play... then we will truly be on the way back.

There was a lot to take from the game and so many positives.

Also we have Sturridge and Coutinho to come back, just think what THEY would have added.

Hard not to get excited.

We will add players and lose player in the summer, some will be celebrated and some will be questioned, but I think the squad got a taste last night, some of those players felt what it was like to play for such a crowd and on such a stage and now... the want MORE.
They know what it means now...they realise the fans aren't being unnecessarily critical or demanding, just that they want THESE nights back, they want to be playing in these tournaments and they want something to sing and get fired up for and to be PROUD of.

And boy... were we proud.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:27:59 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2013, 01:13:56 pm »
Football can be a strange thing at times.  The general consensus was that we were imperious at Anfield and woeful in Russia.  Yet in both contests we concede a stupid goal from a silly mistake AND truth-be-told, in Russia we actually created many more clear cut scoring chances from open play.  It's amazing how putting the ball in the goal will change your point of view. 

What more is there to say about Luis Suarez.  His joy after the 3rd goal and his pain at the final whistle reflect the player he is. 

There are no more excuses for this team.  There can be no more Aston Villas or West Broms.  We have seen what this squad is capable of doing when it applies maximum effort for 90 minutes.  We saw where this club can go when there is unanimity between the supporters, managers and players. 

Although there are no trophies to be won this season, there is still much work to be done.  Sturridge and Coutinho can push us to 11 the rest of the way.  The hope of European football next year is fading, but it is not yet extinguished.  Let's get behind the Reds for the next three months. 
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2013, 01:34:34 pm »
I really like Jordan Henderson as he has excellent qualities and a proper attitude. When he is under pressure and doesn't have time to think he is capable of some wonderful things like his goal against West Ham but then equally when he does have time on the ball, he often seems to make the wrong decision - like that half arsed attempt at chipping the keeper from outside the box when he had players in better positions screaming for the ball. He had a difficult job out there on the left and while he was doing ok and provided a stunning pass for Enrique to set up Allen's goal, I felt taking him off for Assaidi was a very positive move. Assaidi would play slightly further up the pitch, closer to Suarez and provide a wide threat and the ability to beat the full back and stretch the pitch. There is of course the suggestion that he was ill and not able to last the 90.

I am one of Joe Allen's biggest fans. I have seen a lot of him in games and in Training during his time at Swansea and for Wales and he has always impressed me with his willingness to offer himself for the pass, he always plays with his head up and is already looking for the next pass. He did wonderfully well in his first few months but then he did have a dip which is to be expected but some of the stuff on here posted about was disgraceful. I really believe that part of the problem with Allen is that whilst he is so comfortable in Rodgers' system, the rest of our players are not and therefore they are not on the same wavelength yet but when they do all get on the same frequency we are going to be some side playing some wonderful football. Allen had a fantastic game but was visibly tiring and even though he had scored, he was replaced by a player who had led the line on his own in the absence of Suarez and who had scored 4 European goals already this season.

So we take off 2 tiring players and bring on 2 attacking players in what amounted to a shit or bust move and we know what happened, but the effort and determination from the players and the support from a bouncing Anfield crowd was superb. Had we been able to convert any of our chances out there, I have no doubt that we would have gone through.

Our Squad wasn't good enough to get into the Champion's League and it was barely even good enough to get into the Europa League in the first place but we have made clever additions and will be much stronger next time around. If we sign QUALITY players in the summer then we really could be looking at something special next season and the season after that...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2013, 01:40:14 pm »
An outstanding team performance all round-- certainly the  best that I had seen for a long time. Someday, soon, we'll get defenders who will treat the ball like a friend instead of spitting cobra and, maybe, a better defensive coach.

Suarez was inspired but far too often in the final third we were trying to rely on his genius rather than assist him. The forward midfielders, Henderson, Downing and, at times Allen, didn't do enough to help him. We need another [able] deputy for Sturridge.

I though Enrique was good; he offers a continuity in attack that Downing, although a forward player does not. The attack that led to Allen's goal required somebody to keep the pressure on and he did it excellently well. He would have benefited from another attacker outside or just inside him more often which it seems Coutinho will provide that.

Agger was outstanding and, despite the defence worries over all the centre-halves we have used, provides a real attacking thrust that some of our mid-fielders would do well to emulate. Now, if'n he could get his radar right at corners ...

Talking about Agger naturally brings me to the back three. It doesn't matter who it is we've played there, they all look afeared of somebody, anybody closing them down when in possession and end up doing the daftest things. Carragher didn't need to kill and pass the ball in one movement simply because Hulk was pressing him. There were other instances such Reina's air shot, Enrique getting ball easily out of the box and then stroking it to a Zenit player ...

I disgree with the oft-repeated sentiment that Henderson and Allen's removal in and of itself handed the initiative to Zenit. Au contraire, Zenite realised that another goal would effectively had the tie to us and simply got more adventurous against tired legs. And there were some tired legs out there-- Witsel and Danny had already been getting into dangerous positions before that goal. And let's admit it, two of the goals we scored required Suarez's genius because Zenit's defending of the box had been for the most part assured. I actually thought fresh legs and a fresh personnel would add a fresh dimension that we had hitherto lacked but there you go.

It's games such this that illuminate not only the need for further [key] upgrades but also just the team has come since August. The main part are there as is the playing style. Summer is going to be big.

Onwards and upwards.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2013, 02:48:43 pm »
I think in this game we finally looked like a complete functional football team again after a very, very long time, especially in terms of overall tactical movement of the players and they way they played this game without having to think too much on what to do next.

In addition, the players showed top effort, which should be taken for granted anyway in games like this. But we saw it different in recent years, also this season, so the effort of the players was something positive to mention besides a number of other things on the pitch, the result of the work of Rodgers with the team so far this season.

There were a lot of game situations which made me believe evenmore in Rodgers and the core of our quality players to be the foundation to built on and put trust into.

I want to single out two situations which showed the progress we made in terms of overall tactics here. Around the 63th minute Johnson lost the ball upfront, Downing stepped in his position as a full back with Johnson tracking back and covering the space in the exact right position, the triangle one, in order to close down the space and make it impossible for the player to get past Downing and/or pass the ball on.

The very next minute we moved up as a team and the distance between the defending line and Suarez was exactly how you would expect a top team to play. Very narrow and flexible, good stuff.

The point I am trying to make is that we showed this kind of maximum tactical awareness in almost every game situation and over the entire length of the game and I am very sure with Coutinho and Sturridge this game would be won with the difference necessary to get to the next stage because we were that good as a team.

You look at the way we passed around our own box in order to keep possession is just increcibly impressive and although a lot of people seem to be critical on this approach I want to remind them that it´s about PLAYING football first and foremost and these abilities to show as team the foundation to be competitive at some point in the future against the big teams in europe.

I would hope this to be our goal still, people will be surprised pretty soon how close we´ll  be in the near future with games like these as clear indications for me. It will take just a little bit more patience and cleverness in transfers next summer, again I put my hopes in the owners to back Rodgers for going for top quality only. There are some gems out there, Arnautovic, Son etc. .. we have to just go for them, money can´t be an issue here.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 03:01:11 pm by steveeastend »
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2013, 03:40:11 pm »
It was certainly a game of two halves, or should that be four quarters? Although mistakes were made during the match, it was the mistakes made during the first leg that cost us progression to the next round.
I can't fault the players for their work rate and their intensity during the match, the midfield was very impressive, up until the double substitution. After Henderson and Allen came off the defense found it very difficult to find an outlet and play their way up the field. My opinion at the time was it felt wrong, it still feels wrong now. It's when a strong No.2 earns his wage, as the fog of war takes over, the manager might not be thinking with a clear head.
Plenty of positives to be taken from the game too. The football played at times show the players (or at least the majority of them) are starting to believe in and get comfortable with the system being implemented.
One thing we all agree on, is that this club needs European football and European nights like this every season. With our easy run-in, there is no reason why we shouldn't have it next season. I'm looking forward to it already.

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2013, 04:05:02 pm »
Happy with the performance and the determination showed. We played well against a good side and to hear the change in atmosphere once we scored the first goal was great :)

Tactically, we pushed them well. We were playing a '1-2' in midfield but Allen and Gerrard were playing high, looking between the lines, instead of coming deep alongside Lucas to help circulate the ball. The downside of that was there was a big gap between our midfield and backline on defensive transitions - one of Zenit's strengths is their ability to combine between the lines so we had to make sure we pressed well after we lost the ball.

The double sub - for me came too early. I didn't mind making one substitution if Allen or Henderson was tired. But when you're in a high pressure situation looking for one goal, you need composure and precision and Shelvey doesn't provide that. Assaidi did fairly well on the left and provided something different, a better 1v1 option against the FB than Henderson, who tends to move centrally between the lines from the left and play it quickly. If Shelvey had been introduced later in the game I could understand it and of course it's hard to blame the coach when you play well and win 3-1. But I thought the double sub was wrong, especially on 60 minutes.

The main thing I took from the game though was a sense of nostalgia. We used to have those nights very often a few years ago. Thursday night certainly reminded me of them. The atmosphere, the nerves, the tempo, the intensity. I badly want to get back in the Champions League :(
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2013, 06:43:19 pm »
The team was asked a huge question after going down 1-0 and responded magnificiently. You could only feel pride in the lads knowing how close they came to doing the impossible as we have never come back when requiring 4 goals. Never had to i suppose : ) but still they just made you love the game again knowing we have some great spirit in the side. We may have lost the war but that one battle was one of the best wins I have seen in recent years. Hope this lifts the side as nothing but positives should be taken out of Thursday performance
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Garcepticon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2013, 08:14:21 pm »
So close...

Lucas was brilliant. Hopefully that can be the norm rather than the exception from now on.

Lucas was exceptional - he and Suarez showed in different ways huge commitment to our cause. For that I would be looking at one of either - probably Lucas - as vice captain for next season. If Lucas responds to the big nights and the responsibility which comes from it then we should utilise that and make him vice captain. Sometimes I think the more important Suarez thinks he is the more likely he is to miss a chance.

Great performance - at first I thought we had failed to make the final step, or leap, out of a lack of mentality/conviction/desire but the more I reflect on the game, the more it seems likely that Rodgers just made the wrong call after Luis' free kick.

Johson was very poor on Thursday - if he was carrying an injury I hope he drops it by 17.30pm next Saturday so that we can very much push on and get some crucial momentum behind the close to our season.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2013, 11:05:49 pm »
Anyone else thought we could've done something different instead of bringing on Sterling? He didn't really help us, saw the ball about twice I think. Not his fault, just the wrong type of player for that situation I thought. We did well bringing the ball forward and out wide, but had trouble scoring from it, so shouldn't we have put someone into the box instead? A CB maybe, since we had no strikers on the bench. Or bring someone else on and tell Agger to go forward and stay there.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
I wouldn't say Glen was poor his standards have been so high that for him average might seem to some as poor.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:16 am »
I wouldn't say Glen was poor his standards have been so high that for him average might seem to some as poor.

I thought he was dire myself, and think he's been similar in a few games lately. 

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 12:04:34 am »
The team was asked a huge question after going down 1-0 and responded magnificiently. You could only feel pride in the lads knowing how close they came to doing the impossible as we have never come back when requiring 4 goals. Never had to i suppose : ) but still they just made you love the game again knowing we have some great spirit in the side. We may have lost the war but that one battle was one of the best wins I have seen in recent years. Hope this lifts the side as nothing but positives should be taken out of Thursday performance

Absolutely correct, but I've said in a few other threads the acid test will be at Wigan next week. If we allow our commitment levels to drop then there is no hope for this team. Unfortunately that has been our Achilles heel for years. We shall see.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 01:50:29 am »
Absolutely correct, but I've said in a few other threads the acid test will be at Wigan next week. If we allow our commitment levels to drop then there is no hope for this team. Unfortunately that has been our Achilles heel for years. We shall see.

See I disagree that the acid test is Wigan. I think I know where you coming from and agree that a decent performance against Zenith doesn't mean nothing if it's in isolation but I'd argue that we are beginning to see the team show signs of having the potential to be really good,  however that doesn't mean that we are at the point where they have become good enough that we should expect the sort of consistency that real top teams show. We're getting better but haven't reached the stage where we are consistently winning. When Zenith pressed our backline, we looked both shaky as well as on two occasions completley catching Zenith out with how quickly we turned defence into attack. Both positive and negative aspects are there as we start to develop the style Rodgers wants to play, it's just for me the positives are beginning to become clearer and we are capable of really hurting teams with our commitment to get forward but it doesn't mean we have arrived because along with the positives we can still see weakness's and that is shown in our inconsistency  There will be more West Broms but hopefully less of them as we progress.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 07:19:21 am »
A great game taken on its own merits; a great result taken in isolation; and a performance to be proud of, from both the team and the supporters. It is games and nights like these that will keep the big players at the club as much as trophies. I'm certain they can feel that something is bubbling at Anfield, and that there is a sense that the team will go from strength to strength. It bodes well not just for the medium term future, but also for the rest of the season. I think all the motivation the players needed to finish strongly in the league was given to them on Thursday night. They will want to taste that again, and will do everything they can to get back sooner rather than later.

As for the game itself:

Zenit’s System –

Zenit played, for all intents and purposes, a 4-4-1-1. It was possibly conceived to be a 4-3-3, but the two wingers spent more time tracking back and adding numbers to the midfield. A standard back four, with the fullbacks staying in defence rather than making too many attacking overlapping runs, bolstered by Denisov, Witsel and Shirokov, with Danny and Semak as the wide support for Hulk. However, a combination of their lack of need to actually force the issue, and Liverpool’s possession dominance meant that Semak had to drop back to cover Johnson’s forward runs, while Danny had to play a little bit more centrally to look for the ball. This led to them playing a 4-4-1-1 shape; Danny, though, became as much a part of the central defensive roles of the midfield as Denisov or Shirokov, which meant Hulk was isolated (although not a bad thing to have – as we saw from the goal, he’s everything you need in a central target player – power, pace, touch, and finesse in the finish). The shape was most notable on the Zenit goal:

Denisov was their most influential player, with Witsel and Hubocan seeing almost as much of the ball. Hulk saw relatively little of the ball, but was a danger every time he got it. Apart from the volley from Hulk’s cross, Danny didn’t have much impact on the game, and his substitution wasn’t a surprise. The touches per player (for at least the first half players) are shown here:

Liverpool’s System –

Liverpool had one of those games where the approach play was once again excellent, possession was dominant, and pressure was exerted. On the other hand, we did only score 1 goal from open play (although really Shelvey’s attempt should have led to something more (in the run of the play the shot seemed right, but as he was approaching the ball if he’d taken a quick look he might have seen he had time to take a quick touch and either draw the foul or touch it to the side for one of the two more open players who would have had a clearer shot). What was interesting, though, as it was in the games against Sunderland and Norwich (the first game), was the shape of the team, and more importantly the balance and spacing in the team. We can look at the average positions in possession here:

What stands out is that there are three clear lines of play, and once again it points to a 3-4-3 shape in possession of the ball, again reminiscent of that Ajax 95 team. It also shows the importance of Lucas to this set-up, holding that space in front of the back two. Henderson’s recent forays as a tucked-in “1.5” left mid saw him perform well in the 4-3-3/3-4-3 shape, as the job essentially didn’t change – effectively making him usable in the two shapes we’ve played in the main since December (4-3-3/3-4-3 and 4-2-3-1/4-1-3-2). The balance through the lines and through the three channels is something we’ve seen before, and if there is to be a Plan A and Plan B delineation, I think this is it – with Sturridge in the team, we play a 4-4-2 variation by necessity, and without him, we play a 3-4-3 shape (and I would imagine if Suarez were to get injured, we would play the same shape, but with Sturridge central and two wide players playing off him. This might be why Rodgers is still looking for a number 10 – if we have to play without Sturridge, we’ll need someone who can get goals from that position behind him). We can see the three lines more clearly here:

Within this shape, we were able to control much of the game, applying maximum pressure on their defence, but again, without quality finishers apart from Suarez, we had no real end product (although Joe Allen’s goal was a hint of what might come – the header, for a start, was very good – a reaction header that was technically exemplary, and a reaction finish that was perfectly weighted and technically quick). There was danger on the break in the sense that there was a gap between Lucas and Allen and Gerrard at the point of transition, but we managed the gap fairly well. Everything we did was like clockwork on the ball in terms of circulation – pressure in midfield, mobility in attack, and reset pass option to keep the ball cycling through the shape and maintain the pressure and possession. For this, Enrique and Lucas were vital, with Gerrard taking more of a backseat than the last few weeks; here he concentrated more on getting forward to support Suarez than with dictating the pace of the attacks from the back:

What is interesting is the lack of touches that Allen had. By all visual and written accounts, he has as good a game as he’s had for Liverpool since he signed, and capped it all off with a goal. But much like Coutinho against Swansea, he had comparatively very few touches against the rest of the team. This indicates that what touches he did have, were actually of a good quality, and that he brought efficiency to his play. This is the sign of a good player, and perhaps we’ll see him blossom next season when he has settled more and has more goalscoring threats in front of him to play to.

The key factors to the dominance of this game can be seen below:

We can see that there were three key areas that were important for the domination of the ball we saw (notwithstanding Zenit’s own desire to hold their 2-0 lead and hit on the break). Firstly, the front three did a good job of keeping Zenit’s back four under pressure. We forced them to play narrow in the back which forced them to turn their 4-3-3 into a 4-5-1, thus isolating Hulk. Because of this, Carragher and Agger and Lucas had less to worry about in terms of defending, and did a largely decent job of keeping him quiet, apart from the crucial goal, of course. Lucas’ positioning and discipline also meant that Danny couldn’t get into the game much, and was subsequently substituted for Faizulin. The third key factor that was important was the work of Gerrard and Allen in keeping both the pressure on the Zenit defence and the support for Suarez going forward.

Although Enrique saw more of the ball, Gerrard was still the metronome for the team, and kept the tempo high with his switches of play and his forward aggression. If he had one fault in the game then it was the schoolboy error that put Carragher under pressure, who then followed it up with a second error (and remembering that most goals are the result of 2 or more errors in a row); it was the one moment in the game where Gerrard needed to be calm rather than dynamic, and sweep the ball away rather than drive it at the player in an attempt to win a throw in. Other than that, though, his performance, along with Allen, Downing and Henderson was a large part of why we could keep the pressure on Zenit for much of the game. It is a wonder how much different things would have been with Sturridge to get on the end of the other 13 shots that didn’t go in, and how much different if Coutinho or Sturridge had been in Shelvey’s place for that chance near the end.

The Away Goal –

The goal Zenit scored is an important one in the context of the development of the team, because it highlighted several things that need to be noted in terms of the next step in the evolution of Rodgers’ ideas. Firstly, let us look at the overall set-up before the goal happened:

We are in good shape at this point – 4 players surrounding Hulk, Enrique capable of tracking Danny, the ball in the attacking third, in the right channel, being challenged. The shaded area indicates the area of recovery, as spoken about in the Centre-Halves thread.

At the point that Gerrard cannons the ball off the Zenit player and it bounces towards Carragher, Agger should be dropping in behind to offer support to Carragher if he gains possession, and cover if Carragher is forced to defend.

Instead, he gets caught square at the moment that Carragher loses balance and composure, and under pressure from Hulk, tries to play a back pass to Reina that was scuffed. Once Hulk gets the ball, there is only one route he will take (to the near post) and Agger is stranded as he tries to recover against Hulk’s pace. Reina did what he could, but it was a powerful run and a fine finish, but it was a perfect storm of three errors that led to the goal being conceded in the first place:

• Gerrard trying to play the ball off the Zenit player and not succeeding
  • Agger playing square to Carragher instead of adding depth to the play
  • Carragher not checking his shoulders as he turned and so not knowing where or how close Hulk was, thus so coming under pressure as soon as the ball settled in front of him, forcing a technically unbalanced pass attempt that left Reina with too much to do

With just one change of decision from one of the three players involved, the goal might have been prevented – if Gerrard controls the ball first and plays it sensibly then Zenit don’t get the opening. If Carragher fakes Hulk, who was running on his right side, and turns left and upfield, we regain the ball and go on the attack again. And failing both of those, if Agger drops into the space behind Carragher, Hulk might be slowed enough to force him to shoot rather than finish and Reina stands a better chance. It’s these little details that are always the difference between dissecting a great game with a sense of regret, or looking forward to the trip to Basle.

Hope for the future –

There are more positives than negatives from this game, though. We didn’t lose the tie over two legs and were undone by the away goals rule. We did enough in the first leg to have won the game there. We have two players eligible for the future who could have helped put the nails into the Zenit coffin. Finally, we had a taste for all the new players of what an Anfield night is like in full flow in Europe. That, more than anything any manager can ever say or do, is the best motivator to sustain success. You get what you play for in football – and if you play for hungry, passionate and positive fans, then you will get hungry, passionate and positive football.
Better looking than Samie.