Author Topic: Round table: Firmino the next piece in the puzzle  (Read 91421 times)

Offline Michel

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Round table: Firmino the next piece in the puzzle
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2015, 10:33:04 am »
At Hoffenheim he was playing mostly behind the striker or as a second striker.A few times as left winger.
He is being played blatantly out of position.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2015, 10:34:57 am »
Bit worried about him. Hopefully we see more flashes of talent in the upcoming home games.
Why would you be worried? Is he a wide player?

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2015, 10:38:57 am »
Why would you be worried? Is he a wide player?

He is struggling with the pace of the game as well. Its fair enough being out wide but losing the ball and passing are the basics.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:09 am »
He is struggling with the pace of the game as well. Its fair enough being out wide but losing the ball and passing are the basics.
I'll wait til he's played centrally and see how he gets on

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2015, 10:43:52 am »

Oh yeah its not pitchforks as yet. I am a bit worried but he is still a vital part of all this.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 11:06:09 am »
If he plays centrally that is. Could be a long wait. Brendan likes 3 up top. Dunno what happened to the side and style which almost won the league with 2 up top.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 11:09:13 am »
Same glimpses of talent in the first few games, but I agree that he looks off space. He was guilt of giving away the ball on numerous occasions. He also seems much slower than I had originally thought. Anyone who seen him at Hoffenheim can talk about his pace?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 11:10:14 am »
He looked good when we pressed high up the pitch and broke forward in numbers, frequently ghosting in behind, but like all of our attackers he struggled when we were sat deep and showing zero ambition. With the current tactics he'll only look good if he can conjure something from nothing on a regular basis, same goes for all of our players really.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
How do we fit in Firmino, Coutinho, Benteke and Sturiddge in the same team, all of whom seem to prefer to play centrally. Then you consider that it seems Henderson and Milner have to play. Does a Brazilian box midfield seem the best alternative? Will Rodgers move away from the 4-3-3?
It wouldn't be Liverpool if we didn't do it the hard way... ask Gareth Southgate.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 11:21:28 am »
How do we fit in Firmino, Coutinho, Benteke and Sturiddge in the same team, all of whom seem to prefer to play centrally. Then you consider that it seems Henderson and Milner have to play. Does a Brazilian box midfield seem the best alternative? Will Rodgers move away from the 4-3-3?

We'd have to revert to a sort of 442 with Coutinho and Firmino pushed slightly wide but given freedom to cut inside IMO.

Mignolet

Clyne                Gomez                  Sahko                 Moreno

Henderson               Milner

Firmino                                          Coutinho

Benteke                  Sturridge

Not much cover for the defence though if one of Henderson/Milner break.

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 11:22:38 am »
I'm not worried about him in the slightest, I think he'll do fine. My problem is not with him, it's how he's being used. The "Yay! He made the most interceptions or recovery tackles!" should only be a bonus with him for me, primarily it should be about how many chances he creates or how much he is contributing to the attack. At the moment, on the wing, he isn't being used effectively.

The runs he makes are very intelligent, he and Coutinho will hopefully link up brilliantly in time.

Offline abhred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 11:26:07 am »
We'd have to revert to a sort of 442 with Coutinho and Firmino pushed slightly wide but given freedom to cut inside IMO.

Mignolet

Absolutely nothing wrong with that team. Henderson/Milner have enough energy to cover the center, Clyne and Moreno have enough of an engine to provide width and Gomez and Sakho give us enough recovery pace to help us press high up the pitch. Shame this will never happen.

Offline LFC UNTIL THE MANAGER IS NO LONGER DESERVING OF MY SYMPATHY

• Everyone's shit. Especially me...Yeah! LFC for Life. He takes everything up to date and on the chin.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 11:27:14 am »

@LFC4LIFENET

Offline hollger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 11:27:28 am »

Would love to see that team given a shot at some point this season!

Online Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2015, 11:27:55 am »
snip
I like that, you know. A City/Atleti style 4-4-2. I think we have the energy and the right kind of players to pull it off, one question for me is whether Henderson and Milner have the positional discipline to pull it off, but yeah it would be great to see that in action.

Online Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2015, 11:41:42 am »
Highest number of tackles from an attacking midfielder?

Well, if it's good enough for Lallana.
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »
Ings looked like he never played in the premier league before. If you put players in a completely new position in which they have never played before, they will struggle.

I still can't understand why we bought him if wanted to play 4-3-3 with wide players.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2015, 01:57:22 pm »
Firmino should be playing off Benteke either in hole or alongside, big man, speedy agile guy style and if he isnt playing Ings should be in that role playing either of those lads out wide is a total waste.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2015, 02:01:33 pm »
Firmino should be playing off Benteke either in hole or alongside, big man, speedy agile guy style and if he isnt playing Ings should be in that role playing either of those lads out wide is a total waste.

Agreed. That was what I imagined when we bought him - a return to the diamond, at least as the preferred formation. And when I saw the team sheet for Old Trafford, I thought, finally!

And then the match started and my jaw dropped.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Online Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2015, 02:05:25 pm »

Looks good to me. With Ings and Origi to snap into the striking roles when needed/tiredness/cups.

We've also got decent back-up for nearly every one of those players in the assigned role.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Gegenpresser

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2015, 02:20:41 pm »
Oh FFS, just because the kid's foreign and hasn't hit form yet doesn't mean he's struggling with the pace of the league. If you transplanted Gisdol's Hoffenheim to England, they would be considered one of the most frenetic, attacking teams in the league, and they were playing against sides like Bayern, Klopp's Dortmund and Schmidt's Leverkusen (i.e., not exactly lethargic with the pressing).

What Firmino is struggling with is receiving the ball squeezed against the right flank with 8 opposition players and virtually zero support ahead of him. In other words, it's the general lethargy and incoherence of our build-up play. At Hoffenheim, he stayed forward in a counterattacking side that brought the ball to his feet quickly when there was 360 degrees of space to work with. Unless we do the same, he's going to have to add a whole new dimension to his game which will take time he's probably not going to be given in the current atmosphere.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 02:25:00 pm by Gegenpresser »

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »
why are we paying 29m for a guy and playing him out of position??? just beggars belief :(

anyway, im not gone on him yet but as others have said ill reserve judgement until he plays where hes supposed to play

I still think he gets knocked off the ball a bit too easily, needs to be a bit tighter

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »
Oh FFS, just because the kid's foreign and hasn't hit form yet doesn't mean he's struggling with the pace of the league. If you transplanted Gisdol's Hoffenheim to England, they would be considered one of the most frenetic, attacking teams in the league, and they were playing against sides like Bayern, Klopp's Dortmund and Schmidt's Leverkusen (i.e., not exactly lethargic with the pressing).

I dont think its a myth though as frequently you hear new players in the Premier League speak about getting used to the pace or physicality.

If Milner is fit I feel he starts.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2015, 02:44:16 pm »

Mignolet

You know, I love this team. It may not click immediately but it has all the attributes to get us up the table. I wouldn't mind if it took a few game to bed in, it would be a balls on the table move by Rodgers, which would be 100% better than the current cautious approach which will only lead to his P45 in many people's view.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline wackojackouk

• Main Stander
« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2015, 03:19:32 pm »
I like the idea here although Gomez and Skrtel may need to swap some times and maybe even Moreno and Gomez. We need to remember he's only 18 still and to be honest I don't think Moreno is top notch at the moment but again he needs games and time.

I think Milner and/or Can will sit in midfield with Henderson at times.

We're also forgetting about Lallana as well and Ibe who I think can do a good job out wide with Clynne behind him

We actually have a lot of options just seem to be picking the wrong ones at the moment :(

If I was FSG I'd be trying to recoup some cash from Lovren in January.

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2015, 03:22:05 pm »
why are we paying 29m for a guy and playing him out of position??? just beggars belief :(

Because it's what we do.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2015, 03:45:08 pm »
Because we have lost the plot.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2015, 03:59:21 pm »

It's what we do best  ;)

Rogers will try to make a solid wing back out of him.

He#s been brought in to replace Markovic out there.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2015, 04:01:16 pm »

How often will he be put in the centre, though?  That will always be Coutinho's role.  He's going to be put on the wing, as will Borini, Ings, etc.  Benteke and Sturridge will be put up front.  Either he goes with 3-5-2 (wingbacks Moreno and Clyne, Coutinho in the hole), a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond (Coutinho in the hole), or a 4-5-1 (Coutinho in the CAM role). 

Putting Firmino in the middle shunts Coutinho on the wing, and why push out your best player to the wing just to see "if" Firmino can find some form. 

My personal position was he is a forward bought to play as a winger, a bit like an inverse Sturridge experiment.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:52 pm »
Seems abit like the Brazilian Lallana so far, hopefully he improves.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »
People have studiously watched Hoffenheim last few years and they know exactly what his best position is and whether manager made a right decision. Sure.

It had nothing to do with us being depraved of the ball against the best passing team in their back yard.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2015, 04:08:56 pm »
It had nothing to do with us being depraved of the ball against the best passing team in their back yard.

I think we were quite depraved in that match. Masochistic, almost. ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
I think we were quite depraved in that match. Masochistic, almost. ;D

Looked like we were on our knees the whole match!!

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2015, 04:15:12 pm »
The thread title should read 'Firmino: Our next wing back'  ;)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2015, 04:28:00 pm »
Ings looked like he never played in the premier league before. If you put players in a completely new position in which they have never played before, they will struggle.

I still can't understand why we bought him if wanted to play 4-3-3 with wide players.
It's a bit of a recent theme:

Can, a midfielder, playing right back.

Manquillo, a right back, not even played.

Sakho, a center back, on the left in a back 3.

20M Markovic, one of our more promising (and few) options out wide, on loan.

Gomez, a center back, playing left back.

Etc.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2015, 04:32:49 pm »

Etc.

Sakho, not playing at all, other than with his newborn and changing nappies.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2015, 04:42:31 pm »
Dunno what happened to the side and style which almost won the league with 2 up top.

Sturridge got injured is what happened. Benteke-Sturridge is something I assume every Liverpool fan wants to see.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2015, 04:43:50 pm »
Sturridge got injured is what happened. Benteke-Sturridge is something I assume every Liverpool fan wants to see.
He still has two strikers that are being used out wide

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2015, 05:02:04 pm »

Etc.

Markovic decision I don't get but Löw also plays Can at RB, Gomez has looked good LB & Manquillo is with Marseille now so not all crazy decisions.

With Firmino he seems to have played in different positions for Hoffenheim the last three seasons so not set in stone where to play.