Author Topic: What's up with Turkey?  (Read 26341 times)

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
What's up with Turkey?
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:30:24 pm »
Proposed changes seek to give president extended powers as head of executive while abolishing the prime ministry.

Turkey's ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has submitted to parliament a bill granting extended powers to the presidency and abolishing the prime ministry, among other major changes.

The 21-article constitutional change, if adopted, would take Turkey away from its current parliamentary system, and introduce an executive presidency, a move that worries critics of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Saturday's proposed constitutional changes are expected to be discussed at the relevant parliamentary commission first, before the bill is brought to a parliamentary hearing and, if passed there, put to a referendum. Government officials have pointed at the spring of 2017 for a possible referendum.

Erdogan became Turkey's first president to be elected by popular vote in 2014, after serving three terms as prime minister.

He said numerous times that the popular vote had transformed his presidency compared to the past presidencies, which were seen as largely ceremonial.
Talk to Al Jazeera: Erdogan - Will do everything for stability of Turkey (35:39)

According to Ahmet Iyimaya, the chairman of the parliament's Constitutional Commission where the bill will be debated, Turkey already has a "partial executive presidency", and therefore constitutional changes in this direction are necessary.

"Turkey has moved away from the parliamentary system towards a presidential system following the constitutional changes in 2007 and 2010. So, this is necessary move," Iyimaya, who is also an AK Party MP, told Al Jazeera.

"The coalition governments in the Turkish parliamentary system took so much from this country, wasting so much time. They could not solve any of the issues this country faced," he said.

Erdogan has repeatedly blamed coalition governments for what he calls Turkey's political instability and economic downfall, which was the situation when his party came to power the first time in 2002.

"This will be the start of a new era," he said of the bill, in an address in Istanbul on Saturday.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently called Turkey a "de facto" executive presidential system.

Saturday's bill is backed by the far-right National Movement Party (MHP), but opposed by the centre-right main opposition Republican People's Party (CHP) and the pro-Kurdish People's Democracy Party (HDP).

The AK Party and MHP were engaged in talks over the draft legislation for months before they could finalise it.

The MHP is the fourth largest party in parliament with the lowest number of seats, but the AK Party, which holds 317 MPs in the 550-seat assembly, needs the party's support to get 330 MP votes to take constitutional changes to a referendum.
'Dangerous'

Opposition CHP MP Mustafa Sezgin Tanrikulu told Al Jazeera that the constitutional changes aim to "pool power in one person at a dangerous level and pave the way for an authoritarian regime.

"This text gives one person the state's whole executive power, some legislative powers through decrees and judicial powers - through appointments. This is a bill that will move Turkey away from the principles of democracy and the rule of law," Tanrikulu, who is also a human rights lawyer, said.
Inside Story: How will Turkey's president consolidate his power? (25:14)

He added that his party would challenge the bill in the legislative process, and, if it is passed, will campaign against it before the referendum.

The proposed constitutional changes allow the president, who is currently constitutionally neutral, to be a member of a political party.

The bill also seeks to remove the prime ministry, and make the president the head of the executive, allowing him or her to appoint the government ministers and vice-presidents.

Under the draft legislation, the president would be able to appoint half of the 12 members of HSYK, Turkey's highest judiciary board, and would hold comprehensive powers to govern the country by decree.

If the changes are approved, Turkey would head to general and presidential elections together in November 2019, and proposed powers would be granted to the president elected.

The bill indicates that a person can be elected president for two five-year terms. Erdogan's existing time as president will not be counted

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/12/erdogan-ak-party-bill-empower-presidency-161211075814359.html
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: What's up with Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:35:28 pm »
What do you mean?
It has been going towards a Erdogan as a new Sultan for years now.
Not a surprise in any way.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:53:43 pm »
Also, historically, can someone describe the problems Turkey has with those from the Kurdistan region?  Just the sheer size of the loss of Turkish lands or something else?  Tried reading the tiniest bit into it (I'm meant to be studying) but not quite grasping it.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:05 pm »
Also, historically, can someone describe the problems Turkey has with those from the Kurdistan region?  Just the sheer size of the loss of Turkish lands or something else?  Tried reading the tiniest bit into it (I'm meant to be studying) but not quite grasping it.

Not an expert on the matter but just look at a map of the Kurdish parts of Turkey and it's about 20-25% of the country which would be a lot to lose were there to be a separate Kurdistan, and as there is with most countries of the world an irrational desire to keep people in a country they do not want to be part of.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 01:18:58 pm »
The mayor of Ankara on social media.  More than hinting that he thinks that the BBC/UK played a part in the Istanbul bombings.

My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:21:17 pm »
The mayor of Ankara on social media.  More than hinting that he thinks that the BBC/UK played a part in the Istanbul bombings.

Maybe if the government released the couple of hundred journalists they've locked up, on what seem to be very flimsy grounds, then the journalists could investigate.

edit: (just to source: http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-silencing-of-writers-in-turkey? )
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:23:26 pm by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:41:50 am »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 07:10:38 pm »
Turkey... I don't even know where to begin. How many friends have they got? They don't like the Kurds. That the Kurds have fought Daesh, hoping to get their own territory (I guess) when the war is over is problematic for Turkey. Turkey should be allies with the US, but are they? They have been a transit country for Daesh loons. Europe don't like them because of the refugees. Erdogan is behaving more and like of a dictator.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:15:34 am »
Another dictator on the up using religion as one of his pillars. After 2000 years of this shit, I think we might have realised that mixing religion with governance doesn't work, but apparently not.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 12:59:38 am »
Another dictator on the up using religion as one of his pillars. After 2000 years of this shit, I think we might have realised that mixing religion with governance doesn't work, but apparently not.
It often works for those who are in charge. Sadly.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 01:10:48 am »
It often works for those who are in charge. Sadly.

I mean the people ought to know though. But sadly they're all too blinded to see what's happening in front of them and Erdogan remains quite popular among his constituency.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 04:22:35 pm »
Russian ambassador to Turkey wounded in a gun attack.

What a fucking year there. Well, everywhere of course.....

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:44:53 pm »
Oh good. That is exactly what we need actually.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2016, 04:58:25 pm »
Oh crap
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2016, 05:02:12 pm »
Reuters Top News ‏@Reuters 5 minutes ago
BREAKING: Russian ambassador to Turkey dies of gunshot wound - Russian media
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:05:01 pm by Yiannis »
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2016, 05:17:46 pm »
Jesus. I wonder what Russia's inevitable response will now be.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2016, 05:23:27 pm »
Just saw the video the gunman came from behind him must be part of security or something.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline WillG.LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2016, 05:42:52 pm »
Think he is or was a policeman

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »
Well, fuck. This is bad.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 05:47:40 pm »
The shooter is well dressed in the pics I have seen. He is clearly yelling something after shooting the people

BREAKING: Russia's ambassador to Turkey was killed by a gunman who was heard shouting, "Do not forget Aleppo!"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 05:52:46 pm by Trumps »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 06:04:47 pm »
Seen various translations but the gist seems to be along these lines:

Don't forget Aleppo! Don't forget Syria! As long as our land isn't safe you will not taste safety!
(to security guards or police) Back off! Only death can get me out of here.
Whoever has a share in this cruelty will pay for it.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2016, 06:15:34 pm »
US is telling its citizens not to go to its Ankara embassy due to 'an ongoing security incident' and 'reports of shooting'.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2016, 06:27:25 pm »
May is a basket case, but the sad thing for the UK is that there isn't even a semblance of credible opposition. Partly because she's driven some of them out, partly because an awful lot of smart, well-educated Brits have moved abroad to enjoy the freedoms of European, Australian, US (or Scottish, Irish) life, and partly because of the sheer incompetence of the opposition "party". A sad state of affairs.

;)

Anyway, Turkey is goosed. I can't see how this will end well, there is the potential for civil war there on a similar scale to the Lebanon or Syria.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2016, 07:50:44 pm »
The ambassador was killed by a 22 yrs old active turkish police officer in Ankara, he was sent to that exhibition to protect the Russian ambassador. Now that makes this even worse.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2016, 07:53:00 pm »

Yes that officer behind the ambassador is the terrorist scumbag who killed him a few seconds after this pic, i don't know how Putin will react to this.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 08:27:26 pm by elsewhere »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 08:03:07 pm »
Think he is or was a policeman

He is a police officer,mate. Member of security for foreign ambassadors team.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:00:27 pm by elsewhere »

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 09:46:06 pm »
Scary moment,really,really,really hope this is not Franz Ferdinand moment of our time and hope Putin wont go austria-hungary stlye full retarded,with all guns blazing
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:17:51 pm by kaiser franz »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 09:48:41 pm »
2016 has another 12 days to run.  How much more can it ruin us?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:00 pm »
2016 has another 12 days to run.  How much more can it ruin us?

Nothing will change mate. If anything, things will get worse.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 11:10:28 pm »
Trump doing his best to ruin relations between the US and China and now this happens in Turkey. Russia will retaliate, but how remains to be seen. We're really just an incident or two from kicking off another World War, aren't we?

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 11:18:47 pm »
Trump doing his best to ruin relations between the US and China and now this happens in Turkey. Russia will retaliate, but how remains to be seen. We're really just an incident or two from kicking off another World War, aren't we?
Franz ferdinand moment but this time with nuclear bombs

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:46 pm »

I don't really think so. The world has become a different place in the last 50 to 70 years. I believe there are issues that are a threat to the whole world like terrorism. However, I also think that politicians nowadays (even the likes of Putin) are much more restrained than they were at the time of WW I and WW II. Add to that that through globalisation the countries of the world have become much closer to each other than all those decades ago. Yes, there will be conflict and there are also proxy wars where various countries support different sides, but a full blown world war is still very unlikely in my view...

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 11:23:49 pm »
I don't really think so. The world has become a different place in the last 50 to 70 years. I believe there are issues that are a threat to the whole world like terrorism. However, I also think that politicians nowadays (even the likes of Putin) are much more restrained than they were at the time of WW I and WW II. Add to that that through globalisation the countries of the world have become much closer to each other than all those decades ago. Yes, there will be conflict and there are also proxy wars where various countries support different sides, but a full blown world war is still very unlikely in my view...

Also, the Turks shot down a Russian plane a while back and nothing really happened off the back of it. Strained relations yes, but the first move towards a war - I'm not so sure.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2016, 11:30:54 pm »
Also, the Turks shot down a Russian plane a while back and nothing really happened off the back of it. Strained relations yes, but the first move towards a war - I'm not so sure.
Same thing happened before ww1,austria-hungary provoked russia 1908 when they annexed bosnia and cheated them about dardanelles and russia backed down,but in 1914 when they provoked second time they couldnt stand down this time,point is when you are great  power you cant stand few times in the row if want to remain great power and want others to respect and fear you.Yeah i know,i know im boring ;D but i studied history and i guess still find it interesting,and unfortunately history repeated themselfs so many times and humanity still didnt learn
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:35:20 pm by kaiser franz »

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2016, 11:34:42 pm »
Same thing happened before ww1,austria-hungary provoked russia 1908 when they annexed bosnia and russia backed down,but in 1914 when they provoked second time they couldnt stand down this time,point is when you are great  power you cant stand few times in the row if want to remain great power and want others to respect and fear you.Yeah i know,i know im boring ;D but i studied history and i guess still find it interesting,and unfortunately history repeated themselfs so many times and humanity still didnt learn

And those were different times which is clearly indicated by Austria-Hungary being still ruled by the Emperor back then. Fear-mongering won't help anyone in my view and talking about a possible world war when there are no signs that we are even close is just that...

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:48 pm »
And those were different times which is clearly indicated by Austria-Hungary being still ruled by the Emperor back then. Fear-mongering won't help anyone in my view and talking about a possible world war when there are no signs that we are even close is just that...
I bet they they were saying same thing 1914,but anyway hope you right,romanovs and habsburg started war as some kind of pissing contest and in the procces commited suicides of their empires back then,hope new sultan erdogan and tsar putin gonna be smarter
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:48:20 pm by kaiser franz »

Offline zebenzui

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2016, 12:50:36 pm »
I bet they they were saying same thing 1914,but anyway hope you right,romanovs and habsburg started war as some kind of pissing contest and in the procces commited suicides of their empires back then,hope new sultan erdogan and tsar putin gonna be smarter

Both empires were ruled by (not unentirely unfounded) existential fears that drove them to war. I dont know if Russia and Turkey today have such profound fears, so I'm a little more optimistic.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2016, 06:06:12 pm »
It's in no-one's interest to escalate it. That's daft. Thought that from the very first moment I saw people talking about WW3. Russia would rather blame US (apparently their media are spreading some conspiracy theories) and Turkey would rather blame Gulen. The plane incident was a lot worse surely.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:07:44 pm by Bakez0151 »

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2016, 09:17:04 pm »
I don't think Putin is that daft to buy Gulen connection of the attacker stories by the Turkish government. After all, he had a high role at KGB for 16 years. Otherwise why would Russia send an investigation team of 18 to Turkey to investigate the incident? Clearly, "that guy was a Gulen follower who wanted to harm Turkey-Russia relations. Case closed"  wasn't enough for Russia.

And it shouldn't be. After the Gulen miltary coup attempt, almost 100,000 people were arrested, maybe half lost their jobs, their passports are taken, from businessmen to people with lower income, whoever had a slight link with Feto had their money in banks withheld, people who are under ongoing investigation were not at their job, be it a teacher or professor, banker etc until they are cleared of those links in investigations.

But this attacker who is 24, who has graduated from Feto schools just 2 years ago and who had an ingoing investigation somehow keeps going to his work, a work that allows him to access weapons,bombs and guns. Moreover, he is promoted to "protection of foreign ambassadors unit" just weeks ago. It simply doesn't make sense and Russia knows this.

Offline kaiser franz

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2016, 10:55:22 pm »
I don't think Putin is that daft to buy Gulen connection of the attacker stories by the Turkish government. After all, he had a high role at KGB for 16 years. Otherwise why would Russia send an investigation team of 18 to Turkey to investigate the incident? Clearly, "that guy was a Gulen follower who wanted to harm Turkey-Russia relations. Case closed"  wasn't enough for Russia.

And it shouldn't be. After the Gulen miltary coup attempt, almost 100,000 people were arrested, maybe half lost their jobs, their passports are taken, from businessmen to people with lower income, whoever had a slight link with Feto had their money in banks withheld, people who are under ongoing investigation were not at their job, be it a teacher or professor, banker etc until they are cleared of those links in investigations.

But this attacker who is 24, who has graduated from Feto schools just 2 years ago and who had an ingoing investigation somehow keeps going to his work, a work that allows him to access weapons,bombs and guns. Moreover, he is promoted to "protection of foreign ambassadors unit" just weeks ago. It simply doesn't make sense and Russia knows this.
Personally think he was just lone wolf fanatic