Author Topic: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?  (Read 101659 times)

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How Intelligent Are Other Animals?
« Reply #401 on: August 4, 2016, 08:26:49 pm »
Cats can be rather selfish, and evolution explains why

Anyone who has lived with a cat knows they are prone to self-regard, but as our video explains, they have been shaped by the process of domestication

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160707-cats-are-kind-of-selfish-and-evolution-explains-why

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 4, 2016, 08:27:47 pm »
Is this the world's cutest cat?

No not this one. Her kitten, which has made its debut at the UK's Chester Zoo

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160714-is-this-the-worlds-cutest-cat

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #403 on: August 5, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »
Humpback whales around the globe are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas

It's interesting behaviour, but it's just behaviour. There's nothing inherently 'intelligent' about discouraging predators. I occasionally get a sparrowhawk in my garden, and all the birds go nuts when it's hunting, irrespective of which species of bird the sparrowhawk is chasing. Although we all cheer when it catches a fucking wood pigeon. 

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #404 on: August 5, 2016, 02:17:17 pm »
It's interesting behaviour, but it's just behaviour. There's nothing inherently 'intelligent' about discouraging predators.

You'd be surprised how many people think animals have no morals, or no ability to act altruistically, that they are simply survival machines. I think that is certainly linked to intelligence, or at least how intelligent people think animals are.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: August 5, 2016, 06:26:17 pm »
It's interesting behaviour, but it's just behaviour. There's nothing inherently 'intelligent' about discouraging predators. I occasionally get a sparrowhawk in my garden, and all the birds go nuts when it's hunting, irrespective of which species of bird the sparrowhawk is chasing. Although we all cheer when it catches a fucking wood pigeon.
You'll  be pigeonholed as a peristerophobic before you know it...Wait till Corbyn finds out  :)   

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #406 on: September 6, 2016, 01:53:18 pm »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #407 on: September 6, 2016, 02:07:07 pm »

I wonder do they do it in octal, though I suppose if you include their two tentacles, that does give them a capability for base 10...
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #408 on: September 6, 2016, 02:17:43 pm »

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #409 on: October 13, 2016, 06:34:01 pm »
Well Gorillas aint too smart. One has escaped from Regents park zoo. Its rush hour, he'll never get a cab now, idiot.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: October 13, 2016, 08:30:40 pm »
Well Gorillas aint too smart. One has escaped from Regents park zoo. Its rush hour, he'll never get a cab now, idiot.
hes back in his enclosure, no Harambe mk 2

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #411 on: November 10, 2016, 03:06:14 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/20LYKnFryns" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/20LYKnFryns</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:05 pm »
Any one who's not watching Planet Earth 2, get on it. Sunday evenings BBC1.

Those outside the UK, sure you'll know websites where you can watch BBC stuff  ;)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #413 on: November 21, 2016, 10:16:58 am »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #415 on: February 27, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/02/bees-can-train-each-other-to-use-tools/

I've just been out to my Hives and left a socket set and some spanners for them.... ;)

But yes, they are really interesting little creatures and we still have much to learn about them.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: February 27, 2017, 12:21:56 pm »
I've just been out to my Hives and left a socket set and some spanners for them.... ;)

But yes, they are really interesting little creatures and we still have much to learn about them.

I will be doing my IRP on solitary bees  :)

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #417 on: March 1, 2017, 05:25:23 pm »
Not sure if this is a sign of intelligence but he seems to be having fun....

https://gfycat.com/ScornfulShorttermCockatiel

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #418 on: March 1, 2017, 06:38:27 pm »

At a guess, it looks like it thinks it's an egg or a strange mollusc and is perhaps trying to crack it open.
After the first attempt the bounce seems to catch it unawares as to where exactly it's gone, it then spots it and then tries again.
(not sure exactly what bird species it is)

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #419 on: March 1, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
I will be doing my IRP on solitary bees  :)

Sounds interesting. Will it be about UK species or more general?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #420 on: March 1, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »
At a guess, it looks like it thinks it's an egg or a strange mollusc and is perhaps trying to crack it open.
After the first attempt the bounce seems to catch it unawares as to where exactly it's gone, it then spots it and then tries again.
(not sure exactly what bird species it is)

You is right.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #421 on: March 9, 2017, 05:53:01 pm »
Monkey teaches dumbass human how to survive.

Or possibly just using human for extra power.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #422 on: March 29, 2017, 02:21:13 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p1PID91sEW8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p1PID91sEW8</a>

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2017, 12:16:21 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p1PID91sEW8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p1PID91sEW8</a>

Yeh but would he have voted for or against Brexit?
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #424 on: April 13, 2017, 02:53:30 pm »

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #425 on: May 29, 2017, 04:03:56 pm »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #426 on: May 29, 2017, 04:06:51 pm »
All about elephants.

Why do elephants never forget?

Spoiler
Because no-one ever tells them anything
[close]
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2017, 02:26:16 pm »
Ravens remember people who suckered them into an unfair deal

By Katie Langin

Jun. 5, 2017

No one likes a con artist. People avoid dealing with characters who have swindled them in the past, and—according to new research—birds avoid those people, too. Ravens, known more for their intelligence, but only slightly less for their love of cheese, were trained by researchers to trade a crust of bread for a morsel of cheese with human partners. When the birds then tried to broker a trade with “fair” and “unfair” partners—some completed the trade as expected, but others took the raven’s bread and kept (and ate) the cheese—the ravens avoided the tricksters in separate trials a month later. This suggests that ravens can not only differentiate between “fair” and “unfair” individuals, but they retain that ability for at least a month, the researchers write this month in Animal Behavior. Ravens have a complex social life involving friendships and rivalries. Their ability to recognize and punish dishonest individuals, even after a single encounter, may help explain how cooperation evolved in this group of birds. For people, though, the moral of the story is simple: Be nice to ravens.

source

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #428 on: June 27, 2017, 02:34:34 pm »
Ravens remember people who suckered them into an unfair deal

By Katie Langin

Jun. 5, 2017

No one likes a con artist. People avoid dealing with characters who have swindled them in the past, and—according to new research—birds avoid those people, too. Ravens, known more for their intelligence, but only slightly less for their love of cheese, were trained by researchers to trade a crust of bread for a morsel of cheese with human partners. When the birds then tried to broker a trade with “fair” and “unfair” partners—some completed the trade as expected, but others took the raven’s bread and kept (and ate) the cheese—the ravens avoided the tricksters in separate trials a month later. This suggests that ravens can not only differentiate between “fair” and “unfair” individuals, but they retain that ability for at least a month, the researchers write this month in Animal Behavior. Ravens have a complex social life involving friendships and rivalries. Their ability to recognize and punish dishonest individuals, even after a single encounter, may help explain how cooperation evolved in this group of birds. For people, though, the moral of the story is simple: Be nice to ravens.

source

Quoth the raven "Nevermore (will I be trading bread for cheese with you, ya cheating c*nt!)"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #431 on: August 10, 2017, 12:03:16 am »
Bees are first insects shown to understand the concept of zero

I'm not convinced that their preference for a platform with no shapes indicates a knowledge of the mathematical concept of zero.

While I completely understand they have evolved some clever, complex and deep things like dancing, I would interpret it as simply the less clutter on the platform indicates they get more reward.

Having said that, my lot seem to have definitely grasped the concept of zero when it comes to honey production over the last couple of years, it's not been great so far and talking to a few other keepers in the area it seems I'm not alone.

I had a dib into the hives in mid June but they hadn't capped any of the combs so I've left them well alone, though I do intend hopefully robbing them sometime over the next couple of weeks.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #432 on: November 9, 2017, 11:49:37 am »
Sheep 'can recognise human faces'

Sheep have demonstrated the ability to recognise familiar human faces, according to a study.
Cambridge University researchers were able to train sheep to identify the faces of actors Jake Gyllenhaal and Emma Watson, former US President Barack Obama and BBC newsreader Fiona Bruce.
After training, the sheep chose photos of familiar faces over unfamiliar ones significantly more often than not.
It shows that sheep possess similar face recognition abilities to primates.
Previous studies had shown that sheep could identify other sheep and human handlers that they already knew.
"What we did is ask whether a sheep could learn to recognise someone from a photograph," the study's lead author Prof Jenny Morton said.
"We focused on whether or not an animal was capable of processing a two-dimensional object as a person."

Eight female Welsh Mountain sheep were trained to distinguish the four celebrity faces from pictures of unfamiliar people, using food pellets as a reward.
The ruminants were shown different photos on two computer screens; the sheep made their choice by breaking an infrared beam with their noses to release the treat.
After establishing the animals' ability to recognise the celebrities, researchers set them a new task. They wanted to see whether the farm animals could correctly identify the same celebrities when pictured from different angles.
Again, the animals' performance on this task was significantly above chance.
Finally, the researchers wanted to know if the sheep could recognise their handlers from a photo. Images of their custodians were randomly interspersed in a sequence of unfamiliar faces shown to them on the screens.
On this task too, the sheep didn't disappoint.
The results show that the animals' face-recognition abilities are similar to those of monkeys, apes - and humans.
The researchers say it might be interesting in future to investigate whether sheep can identify different expressions on human faces.
The work might even have implications for learning about neurodegenerative diseases, such as Huntington's and Parkinson's.
The research is published in the Royal Society journal Open Science.

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #433 on: November 12, 2017, 09:06:32 am »
"All men are enemies. All animals are comrades!"
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:43 pm »
Sounds interesting. Will it be about UK species or more general?

UK solitary bee species, in particular, the ones that are likely to use "bee hotels."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #435 on: November 16, 2017, 10:56:54 am »
The higher the farther: distance-specific referential gestures in chimpanzees

Abstract

Referential signals, such as manual pointing or deictic words, allow individuals to efficiently locate a specific entity in the environment, using distance-specific linguistic and/or gestural units. To explore the evolutionary prerequisites of such deictic ability, the present study investigates the ability of chimpanzees to adjust their communicative signals to the distance of a referent. A food-request paradigm in which the chimpanzees had to request a close or distant piece of food on a table in the presence/absence of an experimenter was employed. Our main finding concerns the chimpanzees adjusting their requesting behaviours to the distance of the food such that higher manual gestures and larger mouth openings were used to request the distant piece of food. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that chimpanzees are able to use distance-specific gestures.

Full study

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: November 16, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »
The higher the farther: distance-specific referential gestures in chimpanzees

Abstract

Referential signals, such as manual pointing or deictic words, allow individuals to efficiently locate a specific entity in the environment, using distance-specific linguistic and/or gestural units. To explore the evolutionary prerequisites of such deictic ability, the present study investigates the ability of chimpanzees to adjust their communicative signals to the distance of a referent. A food-request paradigm in which the chimpanzees had to request a close or distant piece of food on a table in the presence/absence of an experimenter was employed. Our main finding concerns the chimpanzees adjusting their requesting behaviours to the distance of the food such that higher manual gestures and larger mouth openings were used to request the distant piece of food. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study to demonstrate that chimpanzees are able to use distance-specific gestures.

Full study

Is there anything in there to suggest they can tell the difference between cows that are small, and cows that are very far away?

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #437 on: November 16, 2017, 12:48:21 pm »
Is there anything in there to suggest they can tell the difference between cows that are small, and cows that are very far away?

That would be an ecumenical matter.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: November 16, 2017, 01:48:05 pm »
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Yes. Yes, I suppose it would.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #439 on: January 10, 2018, 04:13:10 pm »
Humpback whales around the globe are mysteriously rescuing animals from orcas

They seem to be the guardians of the sea.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Newza-vx5y0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Newza-vx5y0</a>
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.