Author Topic: We've run out of jail space?  (Read 5945 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
We've run out of jail space?
« on: August 19, 2011, 10:10:47 pm »
This is something mentioned quite a lot..

What is the answer?

We have several options;

1. Don't jail people - just let them off
2. Jail Fewer people
3. Let a load of people out - even those that you shouldn't
4. Let a few people out - but probably not enough
5. Build more jails
6. Come up with different punishments than jail
7. Jail em and stuff em into cells (Possibly a reason for the lack of space is turning 3 cells housing 6-10 people into 2 cells with en-suite housing 2 people)

I think that's about it covered? Any other options? What would you do? What is the answer?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
Re: We've run out of jail space?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:16:05 pm »
This is something mentioned quite a lot..

What is the answer?

We have several options;

1. Don't jail people - just let them off
2. Jail Fewer people
3. Let a load of people out - even those that you shouldn't
4. Let a few people out - but probably not enough
5. Build more jails
6. Come up with different punishments than jail
7. Jail em and stuff em into cells (Possibly a reason for the lack of space is turning 3 cells housing 6-10 people into 2 cells with en-suite housing 2 people)

I think that's about it covered? Any other options? What would you do? What is the answer?

Use Goodison.

It has plenty of spare capacity, and going there is enough of a punishment to satisfy the most ardent right winger.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:24:54 pm »
Use Goodison.

It has plenty of spare capacity, and going there is enough of a punishment to satisfy the most ardent right winger.

:)

There has to be a decision made though mate. Are there any other options than those in the first post?

If space is finite then you have an obvious limit - you can either make space artificially, reduce input, increase output or create more space.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »
I dont have an answer but if they are full, can i kill someone. What they gonna do, put me in prison? Nope cos dey is full bruv innit.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 10:29:06 pm »
:)

There has to be a decision made though mate. Are there any other options than those in the first post?

If space is finite then you have an obvious limit - you can either make space artificially, reduce input, increase output or create more space.

I am on holiday, I don't do serious. The standard Tory answer is to rent prison ships. That is decidedly the wrong answer.

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 10:31:45 pm »
Decriminalise drugs.
It is most odd.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 10:32:14 pm »
Jail less people. Some of the sentences handed out to 'rioters' are just plain ridiculous for example.

Sending people down for minor offences rarely solves anything anyway, in most cases it just gets them set into criminal ways, due to destroying employment or education.

Turn short jail sentences (under 6 months for example) into curfew / tagged time by default (unless specific reasons speak against that obviously).
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 10:36:37 pm »
Kill 'em all....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:37:41 pm »
Lock their house doors from the outside.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 10:40:03 pm »
I am on holiday, I don't do serious. The standard Tory answer is to rent prison ships. That is decidedly the wrong answer.

They said that? Really? :lmao

Doesn't surprise me. They're fucking nuts mate :D

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 11:10:55 pm »
Stop jailing people for minor, non-violent offences. Community service and maybe some counseling is infinitely more beneficial to society.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 11:13:50 pm »
Decriminalise cannabis and prostitution. Regulate them and make them taxable.

Take the extra taxes from these and put them into stimulating the education system around the poorest areas of the country.

Just for starters.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 11:19:00 pm »
Reopen the mines and get them to work down there. Or send them all to Manchester to vary the gene pool a bit.

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 11:22:24 pm »
Reopen the mines and get them to work down there. Or send them all to Manchester to vary the gene pool a bit.

I like that. Send them all to Manchester. Build a huge wall around the city and leave them to it. Then accidentally crash a plane with David Cameron in it in the city. Except this time, instead of sending in Kurt Russell, we just lineup millions of deck chairs around the outside of the wall with massive screens and watch them tear him to shreds.

Offline RedRabbit

• Rampant but without the batteries.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • این نیز بگذرد
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2011, 11:24:59 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gZzXWrW-_Ps?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gZzXWrW-_Ps?version=3</a>

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2011, 11:28:47 pm »
I like that. Send them all to Manchester. Build a huge wall around the city and leave them to it. Then accidentally crash a plane with David Cameron in it in the city. Except this time, instead of sending in Kurt Russell, we just lineup millions of deck chairs around the outside of the wall with massive screens and watch them tear him to shreds.

Epic. I'd copyright that post though if I were you. We already know Sky read these forums for their transfer gossip, they'd make a killing on ppv sales for that.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2011, 11:31:24 pm »

I like this option - in fact I like this option so much, that this is gonna have to be a dream tonight!
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:10 pm »
Well a start would be to stop jailing people for nicking bottles of water, and here's a thought.  How about not giving someone 4 years for posting on facebook.

It's a shambles.  Most of the govt's strategy is geared towards cuts, including the prisons.  And just as they're implementing this they instruct judge fuckin dread to lock people up for picking their arses.  Except this flies in the face of the secretary of states's comments last year when he stated 'prison is not effective', when preping the way for massive cuts, including closing prisons.

Maybe if they concentrated efforts on sorting out the country first, such as the economy and youth unelmployment, then we could look at what they're doing re prisons etc.  And as for the secretary of state for justice to simply fuck right off again on hols in the midst of the current shambles, well, what can be said?

It is the tories after all.  You know, the same party that is still trying, after over 20 years, to cover Thatcher's back re Hillsborough.

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2011, 06:43:24 am »
No Jail Space = Space Jail On

Obviously the subliminal message says we must send criminals to space.

Problem solved
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2011, 09:00:30 am »
HMP Featherstone II is brand new and currently hiring if anyone wants a job.

http://www.g4s.com/en/Media%20Centre/News/2011/03/31/HMP%20Birmingham%20and%20Featherstone%202/

There is no quick fix to this.  Societies "problems" are down to a failure of govt over the last generation or so.  Probably need some sort of phased approach.

- Increase prisons to accommodate.
- Increase investment in true rehabilitation
- Invest over the next generation in jobs, training, industry and communities

Of course it won't happen.  They'll just build a few more prisons and be done with it.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 10:17:35 am »
Deport foreign prisoners, mainly those that have come over here to 'better themselves' and have ended up in the nick.
I read a while ago there are 10000 foreigners in our jails. Figure might be more or less now, I don't know. it would have 2 benefits.

1. It would free up space for our own criminals.
2. It would lessen the burden on the taxpayer keeping these no-marks in food/ clothing.

Offline NowInOz

• Main Stander
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:47 am »
Making going to jail a deterrent  rather than a holiday camp might help for starters

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:43 am »
Deport foreign prisoners, mainly those that have come over here to 'better themselves' and have ended up in the nick.
I read a while ago there are 10000 foreigners in our jails. Figure might be more or less now, I don't know. it would have 2 benefits.

1. It would free up space for our own criminals.
2. It would lessen the burden on the taxpayer keeping these no-marks in food/ clothing.

It's a lot cheaper to keep them in prison for their sentence than trying to deport them and then having to fork out for the many appeals they'd have to stop them being deported. That'd include court costs, staff costs, legal costs, etc. It runs much, much higher than it would do if they were just kept inside for their sentence.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »
Deportation to America.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 12:46:39 pm »
skin them, give them salt baths then fist them

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2011, 07:01:17 pm »
It's a lot cheaper to keep them in prison for their sentence than trying to deport them and then having to fork out for the many appeals they'd have to stop them being deported. That'd include court costs, staff costs, legal costs, etc. It runs much, much higher than it would do if they were just kept inside for their sentence.

Feed the c*nts bread and water for the duration and sell any possessions they have, tell them they wont be entitled to any benefits if they stay in the country.... see how long they want to stay for then.
 But I suppose that would be an infringement of their fucking human rights wouldn't it?

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »
If the jail population is increasing then it makes sense to build more prisons to house these scum.

They should not under any circumstances be allowed to roam free until they've done time.

And foreign scum in our prisons should do time before being deported.

If all else fails, theres always Guantanamo Bay.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2011, 09:08:07 pm »
If the jail population is increasing then it makes sense to build more prisons to house these scum.

They should not under any circumstances be allowed to roam free until they've done time.

And foreign scum in our prisons should do time before being deported.

If all else fails, theres always Guantanamo Bay.

A man after my own heart!

Offline Slave

• shit joker - shit vicki vale too
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mmm, angel cake.
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:46 pm »
Feed the c*nts bread and water for the duration and sell any possessions they have, tell them they wont be entitled to any benefits if they stay in the country.... see how long they want to stay for then.
 But I suppose that would be an infringement of their fucking human rights wouldn't it?

Yeah fucking humans having rights. Disgusting.
It is most odd.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2011, 11:23:25 pm »
Some people are really angry, aren't they.

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2011, 11:43:30 pm »
Yeah fucking humans having rights. Disgusting.

Bollocks.

It's quite simple. Anyone coming to this country who ends up committing crime and find themselves in jail should automatically give up the right to stay here.
 I resent one fucking penny of my taxes going towards the upkeep of foreign criminals.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2011, 11:58:39 pm »
Bollocks.

It's quite simple. Anyone coming to this country who ends up committing crime and find themselves in jail should automatically give up the right to stay here.
 I resent one fucking penny of my taxes going towards the upkeep of foreign criminals.
You're spot on, but could we do that?

Must be a lot of red tape involved in implementing something like that, if you commit a crime and are tried under a foreign regime, it makes sense to serve it in that country. Plus we've got loads of Brits serving sentances abroad, so it can't be one rule for one and one for another.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2011, 12:21:06 am »
Bollocks.

Why does it matter to you so much that they're foreign?

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2011, 12:31:32 am »
Those overstepping the mark in favour of draconian sentencing may want to take a moment to consider that mods might just decide to take a similarly heavy handed approach on here.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline StevenLFC

• Charles Colville. Spyin Kop purveyor extraordinaire. Likes pigeons and buses.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @stehoare
    • The Bib Theorists
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2011, 12:36:48 am »
I'm made up, I just landed on the 'Go To Jail' square. Since it's full, i'll move my little iron to the outer 'just visting' section of the square.

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2011, 12:38:50 am »
No need to worry about prison space. The appeals are now starting. Half of those jailed in Cameron's knee-jerk assizes will be out soon. Doesn't it male you feel glad in these times of deficit reduction that we've spent millions jailing and then millions more releasing these people because it was politically expeditious too look tough.
Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline jaffod

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:14 am »
Why does it matter to you so much that they're foreign?
Read the thread title. We can barely house our own criminals without having to find space for thousands of foreign ones on top.
Call me old fashioned but I believe anyone coming to this country to better themselves should abide by the laws of the land. Once they commit a crime and end up in jail they become a massive drain on this country's already overstretched resources and should forfeit their right to stay here.
 I don't see why my taxes, or anybody else's, should go towards feeding them, clothing them and providing them with healthcare etc.
 Carlito Roberto made an interesting point about British criminals in foreign jails and how we can't have it both ways. And he is absolutely right. I would have no complaints about any country sending British scumbags back here, they'd be well within their rights. If it meant we had to build more jails to house them then so be it.
 I think what you're really looking for is the opportunity to call me a racist or a bigot aren't you? But I'm going to disappoint you because a criminal is a criminal to me regardless of their race, colour or country of birth.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2011, 02:49:18 am »
And I thought the after match thread was bad.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline SP

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2011, 09:09:33 am »
Is Kelvin Mackenzie starting a new column in this topic?

Offline youll never walk alone it

• Can no longer walk alone as he has whiplash... or that's what his insurer thinks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 09:15:30 am »
jaff in hating immigrants shocker, an your more than entitled to your opinion of course, free country an all that.
Im drunk  but i havent had  a drink!  bob paisley after rome 77                The times i had here wernt all great, we only  finished 2nd one  season....the great  bob paisley

when shanks was asked  how he relaxed,  he said  he looks at the league table and checks where everton are...