Author Topic: Wikileaks:  (Read 128852 times)

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
Re: Wikileaks:
« Reply #120 on: December 4, 2010, 12:16:42 am »
The British forces jibes pissed me off. If we're surplus to requirement then we should just leave and be rid of all the bullshit.

By 'surplus to requirements', does it mean we only kill enemies?
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline PJG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: December 4, 2010, 11:18:43 am »
This is a bit off topic but does anyone else think he looks a bit like neil patrick harris
« Last Edit: December 4, 2010, 09:39:06 pm by PJG »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: December 4, 2010, 11:39:57 pm »
and if that were to happen, he would become a martyr for freedom of speech..

I reckon it's a risk they're willing to take. It's happened before. Politovskaya?

There are so many who have something to gain from an assassination and no-one would be held responsible. Not sure it's necessary though. They'll soon put Assange behind bars for that rape case.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: December 5, 2010, 03:55:12 am »
Getting a bit nastier...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/03/wikileaks.access.warning/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- Unauthorized federal workers and contractors have been warned not to attempt to read the classified documents on WikiLeaks on either government or personal computers.

The White House Office of Management and Budget sent a memo Friday afternoon forbidding unauthorized federal government employees and contractors from accessing classified documents publicly available on WikiLeaks and other websites using computers or devices like BlackBerrys and smart phones.

The memo, sent to general counsels at various government agencies and obtained by CNN, explains that the publishing by WikiLeaks does "not alter the documents' classified status or automatically result in declassification of the documents."

"To the contrary, classified information, whether or not already posted on public websites or disclosed to the media remains classified, and must be treated as such by federal employees and contractors, until it is declassified by an appropriate U.S. Government authority," the memo said.

The memo does allow for reading of articles about the cables on media sites.

OMB spokesperson Moira Mack said the memo "does not advise agencies to block WikiLeaks or other websites on government computer systems."

"This is principally about protecting government IT systems," Mack said.

She described the memo as a template for agencies to use as guidance, saying it "restates and reinforces existing restrictions on access to classified documents by unauthorized personnel or on computers that access the web via non-classified government systems."

Asked if employees could lose their jobs if they access the WikiLeaks website on personal or government computers or devices, Mack told CNN, "Any breaches of protocols governing access to classified material are subject to applicable sanctions under long-standing and existing law."

The State Department sent a warning to staff not to confirm the authenticity of any published documents and to refer all inquiries to the public affairs office.

"The department is reviewing the material that has been made public. We take reports of the deliberate and unauthorized disclosure of classified material very seriously," according to a copy of the memo obtained by CNN. "The security and safekeeping of classified material and the safety of State Department personnel are our highest priorities."

The State Department memo also reminded the staff that even though they are published, the normal standards for handling classified documents apply when viewed at work or home.

"Any classification markings on the downloaded material should be retained. If such material is printed, however, it must be handled as a classified document and stored in a classified container," the memo said.

Separately, the Department of Defense and the Library of Congress have blocked access to the WikiLeaks website from their computers and instructed their employees not to read the documents published by the website, according to representatives of both agencies.

"We have put out a policy saying Department of Defense military, civilian and contractor personnel should not access the WikiLeaks website to view or download the publicized classified information," Department of Defense spokesman Maj. Chris Perrine told CNN. "Doing so could introduce potentially classified information on unclassified networks. This creates 'spillage' which can result in a great cost of time, manpower and money."

The statement echoes similar language in the Office of Management and Budget memo.

Library of Congress spokesman Matthew Raymond issued a statement saying the library "decided to block WikiLeaks because applicable law obligates federal agencies to protect classified information. Unauthorized disclosures of classified documents do not alter the documents' classified status or automatically result in declassification of the documents."

He said the block applies to patrons working in the library's reading room as well as Library of Congress staff.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 5, 2010, 04:33:23 am »
It's hard to put the genie back in the bottle. I don't know what's gained there, at all.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #125 on: December 5, 2010, 10:59:07 pm »
It's hard to put the genie back in the bottle. I don't know what's gained there, at all.

Just a smidgen of authoritarianism.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #126 on: December 6, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »
JUST BECAUSE WE'RE CRUSHING WIKILEAKS, IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE NEXT, SAY GOVERNMENTS
03-12-10

GOVERNMENTS around the world today stressed that just because they are trying to crush Wikileaks to death, it does not necessarily mean that you will be next. 

Important officials in fancy offices in grand capital cities said the only reason they are erasing the whistleblowing site from existence and trying to arrest its spokesman on some trumped-up rape charge was because it had done some things they didn't particularly like.

One government spokesman said: "We know that you wouldn't do that. Sure, you might get upset about budget cuts, but that's all part of the everyday rough and tumble. It's not like you are engaged in a relentless campaign to expose us as liars, cheats and murderers.

"No, as far as you're concerned everything is going to be just fine. As long as you just keep watching television.

"Of course at some point we may have to step in and decide exactly which television programmes you're allowed to watch, but again, it's really nothing for you to get all worked up about.

"Especially with your diabetes and your high blood pressure."

He added: "No, you'll be just fine with it, and of course if you weren't, then we would just switch you off as easily as pressing the stand-by button on your remote control. But that's obviously not going to happen to you. For goodness sake, why on earth would it?

"So we're agreed then - everything's cool and that man that we're beating to death in the corner of the room is just some smart-alec with a horrible website - probably with photos of children on it - that could very easily have killed you. Good.

"Anyway, I think that's the second half of Loose Women coming on, so I'll let you get back to it.

"Sorry to have bothered you."

source

Offline Kid Fitzer

• Main Stander
« Reply #127 on: December 6, 2010, 01:56:32 pm »
Good satire :(
"It's not even about me anymore, it's about some nightmare these people are having, I'm still a survivor yeno, so I'm still gonna smile and sign autographs, but soon I'm gonna go crazy" - Tupac

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 6, 2010, 07:53:09 pm »

Reminding Government employees of their responsibility to safeguard Government IT systems?  Seems useful to me..

Just a smidgen of authoritarianism.

Hardly.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #129 on: December 6, 2010, 08:14:26 pm »
as embarrassing as this is to the US, it also gives other governments, corporations and indeed people an idea of what the US was doing, and gives us all an opportunity to be aware and increase our own security against their perving and manipulation. Take for instance the "sites of importance to the US", well in Ireland alone there are 2 sites, The Hibernia Atlantic undersea cable landing in Dublin and the Genzyme Ireland pharmaceutical plant in Co Waterford. Among sites listed in the UK are a transatlantic undersea cable landing in Cornwall; naval and motoring engineering firm MacTaggart Scott, based in the small Scottish town of Loanhead; and BAE Systems sites in Preston and Chorley, both in Lancashire, and one in Plymouth.

Immediately the people that own these factories, premises and so on will be curious about the leaks, what were the US planning? what is their agenda? Are they just trying to stay ahead of the times, or are they trying to force the times to favour them.. lots of questions..

US Diplomats in other countries should treat these places with respect, they are in effect guests their. For them to in-turn be there in part as spies is taking the biscuit. Perhaps a lot of this isnt really news to us, it is still rather damning to have our concerns validated.

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 6, 2010, 10:37:12 pm »
I don't think the US are the only ones who have their diplomats keep their ears open for potentially useful information to be honest.

It's no coincidence that two out of three Russian military attaches in the UK happen to be naval officers for a start.

I'd be surprised if our diplomats in the US don't do similar and I'd expect things like Boeing's factories or US pharmaceutical companies would be on a similar UK list of US places of interest.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #131 on: December 6, 2010, 11:05:03 pm »
I don't think the US are the only ones who have their diplomats keep their ears open for potentially useful information to be honest.

It's no coincidence that two out of three Russian military attaches in the UK happen to be naval officers for a start.

I'd be surprised if our diplomats in the US don't do similar and I'd expect things like Boeing's factories or US pharmaceutical companies would be on a similar UK list of US places of interest.
I meant to say above that its not just the US that spy on others, but id say those governments that choose to are in the minority, but are the larger military powers.

It doesn't make it right that they should spy on other countries, and by that same token doesn't make Wikileaks wrong.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: December 6, 2010, 11:12:47 pm »
Reminding Government employees of their responsibility to safeguard Government IT systems?  Seems useful to me..

How does this remind government employees of their responsibility to safeguard IT systems? It's ridiculous that I can access WikiLeaks as a private citizen, but government employees can't because it's still technically classified.

Actually I'll say this. I don't actually mind this being their stated policy as leaks aren't to be encouraged or whatever the hell their reasoning is, but if anyone actually gets disciplined or loses a job solely from looking at one of these documents that would be really stupid.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #133 on: December 6, 2010, 11:18:52 pm »
Actually I'll say this. I don't actually mind this being their stated policy as leaks aren't to be encouraged or whatever the hell their reasoning is, but if anyone actually gets disciplined or loses a job solely from looking at one of these documents that would be really stupid.
have to agree with that...

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 6, 2010, 11:35:54 pm »
How does this remind government employees of their responsibility to safeguard IT systems?

...because much of the text of that article was sent Government employees via email from their senior leadership.

It's ridiculous that I can access WikiLeaks as a private citizen, but government employees can't because it's still technically classified.

Yes.  It is ridiculous that Government employees are precluded by their employers (the Government) from accessing classified material on unclassified machines that are owned by (you guessed it) the Government.

If anyone is stupid enough to violate the Government's IT policy with regard to classified information, they deserve exactly what they have coming to them.  It's not as though Government employees aren't trained ad nauseum on the subject...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #135 on: December 6, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »
Hardly.

Wow. Good come back.

Yes.  It is ridiculous that Government employees are precluded by their employers (the Government) from accessing classified material on unclassified machines that are owned by (you guessed it) the Government.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/03/wikileaks.access.warning/index.html?hpt=T2

Washington (CNN) -- Unauthorized federal workers and contractors have been warned not to attempt to read the classified documents on WikiLeaks on either government or personal computers.

They have a duty not to access publicly available information from their own homes in order to safeguard Government IT systems? That's breathtaking.

And it's authoritarian. If your government told you not to read a particular newspaper, or watch a particular tv channel, you'd be up in arms, wouldn't you? Telling employees what they can or can't choose to watch from legally available sources is practically Soviet.

If anyone is stupid enough to violate the Government's IT policy with regard to classified information, they deserve exactly what they have coming to them.  It's not as though Government employees aren't trained ad nauseum on the subject...

With not much in the way of results, by all appearances. Are they free to possess the knowledge that nobody does bureaucratic stupidity quite like the Americans? What other facts and information would you like to deny to the American people?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #136 on: December 7, 2010, 12:08:00 am »

just to go one step further with this Dava, the US diplomats were also told to get fingerprints and as much data as possible on foreign dignitaries.
why would they need finger prints or any personal stuff like this, this is surely stepping the mark?

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: December 7, 2010, 12:10:41 am »
Wow. Good come back.

No more than was necessary..

They have a duty not to access publicly available information from their own homes in order to safeguard Government IT systems? That's breathtaking.

And it's authoritarian. If your government told you not to read a particular newspaper, or watch a particular tv channel, you'd be up in arms, wouldn't you? Telling employees what they can or can't choose to watch from legally available sources is practically Soviet.

With not much in the way of results, by all appearances. Are they free to possess the knowledge that nobody does bureaucratic stupidity quite like the Americans? What other facts and information would you like to deny to the American people?

...sensationalist crap.

There was no mention of accessing wikileaks from personal computers while not at work.  The only other time that it was brought up in the article was when an official was reportedly asked a question about it, to which his response was "any breaches of protocols governing access to classified material are subject to applicable sanctions under long-standing and existing law."  This response makes sense since the information on wikileaks is still officially classified and that such laws are applicable to all citizens equally, not just Government employees.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #138 on: December 7, 2010, 12:18:40 am »
...sensationalist crap.

Another good come back. You're on fire.

There was no mention of accessing wikileaks from personal computers while not at work.  The only other time that it was brought up in the article was when an official was reportedly asked a question about it, to which his response was "any breaches of protocols governing access to classified material are subject to applicable sanctions under long-standing and existing law."  This response makes sense since the information on wikileaks is still officially classified and that such laws are applicable to all citizens equally, not just Government employees.

The only place that sentence makes sense is in Government La La Land. It is a statement of self evident, circular, almost tautological splendour. All the guy said was, well, there's law about that. He didn't say what the law was. He made a veiled threat by way of a non statement.

Which, by the way, is the sort of sinister shit that the Commies used to come out with.

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: December 7, 2010, 12:35:40 am »
Another good come back. You're on fire.

Just the facts ma'am.

The only place that sentence makes sense is in Government La La Land. It is a statement of self evident, circular, almost tautological splendour. All the guy said was, well, there's law about that. He didn't say what the law was. He made a veiled threat by way of a non statement.

Which, by the way, is the sort of sinister shit that the Commies used to come out with.

Governments/Countries have secrets.  In the U.S., many of those secrets are qualified as classifield information.  The Government has laws against the unauthorized release and viewing of classified information.  Anyone caught violating those laws may face penalties.

Groundbreaking stuff, that... well for you, anways.

I can see the headlines in the Cork World tomorrow:

United States found to have and enforce laws! United States the new Soviet Union!  ::)
« Last Edit: December 7, 2010, 12:44:17 am by High_Cotton »

Offline Met

• rosexual?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: December 7, 2010, 10:42:11 am »
Assange reportedly arrested by Scotland Yard this morning..
Albert Riera yansanyusiza nyo, Mascherano muzanyi wamanyi ate Dirk Kuyt sirina Bigambo! Rafa Abeewo ! YWNWA

It's like watching the Dalai Lama snap and headbutt someone.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #141 on: December 7, 2010, 10:50:32 am »
    Officers from the Metropolitan Police Extradition Unit have this morning arrested Julian Assange on behalf of the Swedish authorities on suspicion of rape.

Julian Assange, 39, was arrested on a European Arrest Warrant by appointment at a London police station at 9.30am.

He is accused by the Swedish authorities of one count of unlawful coercion, two counts of sexual molestation and one count of rape, all alleged to have been committed in August 2010.

Assange is due to appear at City of Westminster Magistrates' Court today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/2010/dec/07/wikileaks-us-embassy-cables-live-updates

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
  • Does anybody wanna buy a country?
« Reply #142 on: December 7, 2010, 10:52:51 am »
Probably commit "suicide" in his cell.
"My country is the world, and my religion to do good." (Thomas Paine)

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #143 on: December 7, 2010, 11:32:11 am »
It's a good job they got him, i'm sure he kept all the files to himself on a usb stick and never gave them to anyone els.......oh wait :/

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #144 on: December 7, 2010, 11:44:58 am »
Jack Bauer would have closed the internet off by now.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #145 on: December 7, 2010, 02:49:05 pm »
Both Visa and Mastercard have withdrawn payment services to Wikileaks. Also, Wikileaks are continuing to release info, with or without Assange.

Updates here.

Offline smithng

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "On a stroppy little island of mixed up people"
« Reply #146 on: December 7, 2010, 03:19:24 pm »
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/war/assange-to-escape-from-police-at-the-top-of-some-stairs-201012073327/

ASSANGE TO ESCAPE FROM POLICE AT THE TOP OF SOME STAIRS 
07-12-10

POLICE today said they expected Wikileaks founder Julian Assange to attempt an escape, probably at the top of a long flight of stairs.

Following Mr Assange's arrest, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Paul Stevens confirmed there would be nothing they could do if he broke free but then accidentally tripped and hit every step on the way down.

Stevens said Mr Assange would be held for questioning at a central London police station but due to a problem with the central heating they would have to keep moving him between floors.

He added: "Unfortunately the lifts are going to be broken the entire time he is custody."

He said: "I wish Mr Assange was not going to break his neck later this afternoon, but there is nothing my officers can do to stop him.

"They will shout something like 'hey you' or 'stop escaping' but he will be too quick for them.

"Also he will have forgotten to tie his shoelaces."

Sir Paul dismissed claims that the arrest was political but admitted international warrants were controversial and that it would have been more efficient to use the British system of pretending Mr Assange is a Brazilian electrician.

Meanwhile governments across the world were celebrating Mr Assange's arrest and imminent escape, stressing that history proves if you focus all your efforts on stopping one man then the thing you don't like will just go away.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #147 on: December 7, 2010, 06:11:17 pm »
i dont know if those articles mentioned it, probably deliberatly not so they can further smear him..
but he handed himself in, they didnt go out and look for him

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #148 on: December 7, 2010, 06:52:03 pm »
He did indeed hand himself in.

He'll be mysteriously offed by a lifer or something. It'll make the US look even worse, we'll all hate them just the the same and Wikileaks will carry on as per.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline Refo

• ree! How art thee?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #149 on: December 7, 2010, 07:00:15 pm »
He did indeed hand himself in.

He'll be mysteriously offed by a lifer or something. It'll make the US look even worse, we'll all hate them just the the same and Wikileaks will carry on as per.

Oh so you've learned to see the future now.
I'm liking this Refo-fella. Wanna adopt?

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 7, 2010, 07:56:30 pm »
Freedom of Speech - priceless. For everything else, there's MasterCard

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #151 on: December 7, 2010, 08:26:09 pm »
Freedom of Speech - priceless. For everything else, there's MasterCard
there isnt, they and visa have withdrawn their services to wikileaks today! :D

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #152 on: December 7, 2010, 09:19:11 pm »
I'm finding this quite hateful. There is something deeply troubling about the co-ordinated effort between governments and corporations to get this guy for doing something they're not even sure is illegal.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #153 on: December 7, 2010, 09:31:11 pm »
I'm finding this quite hateful. There is something deeply troubling about the co-ordinated effort between governments and corporations to get this guy for doing something they're not even sure is illegal.
yep.. its targeted suppression. and not in the interests of either the world or greater good.

Offline Kid Fitzer

• Main Stander
« Reply #154 on: December 7, 2010, 10:55:18 pm »
Take a look at the laaaaaaaaaawmen/man beatin' up the wrong guy...

Timeless tune.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:21:09 am by Kid Fitzer »
"It's not even about me anymore, it's about some nightmare these people are having, I'm still a survivor yeno, so I'm still gonna smile and sign autographs, but soon I'm gonna go crazy" - Tupac

Offline litliper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: December 7, 2010, 10:59:36 pm »
http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenberg/2010/12/07/meet-the-new-public-face-of-wikileaks-kristinn-hrafnsson/

Meet The New Public Face Of WikiLeaks: Kristinn Hrafnsson
Dec. 7 2010 - 3:32 pm | 2,348 views | 0 recommendations | 3 comments

Icelandic WikiLeaks staffer Kristinn Hrafnsson
Julian Assange has often described himself as the lightning rod for WikiLeaks: the single individual who both represents the group’s cause and soaks up its critics’ anger. On Tuesday, lightning struck; Julian Assange has been arrested for sex crimes in London and denied bail, leaving WikiLeaks without its primary persona.

But there’s a second spokesperson for WikiLeaks who has been coming into the spotlight over the last few months: Icelandic investigative journalist and WikiLeaks staffer Kristinn Hrafnsson. Hrafnsson has been working with the whistleblowing group since April, and as Assange has become more reclusive and had his travel restricted by legal threats, Hrafnsson has become an increasingly visible spokesperson.

You can see Hrafnsson at the far right side in this video from the Frontline Club panel discussion on WikiLeaks’ release of a quarter million secret diplomatic cables last week.

Hrafnsson couldn’t be reached for comment, and there’s been no indication that he will formally lead the organization in Assange’s absence. But Hrafnsson remains the only other public face for the organization, and WikiLeaks’ formal structure may be partly shifting to Iceland: in November Hrafnsson told the press that WikiLeaks has registered a limited company in Iceland at the apartment of a WikiLeaks staffer.

Like many Icelanders, Hrafnsson became aware of WikiLeaks when the loanbook of the now-defunct Kaupthing Bank was posted on the secret-spilling site in August of last year, ten months after the bank collapsed. The loanbook detailed billions of dollars that the bank had lent to its own executives and the companies they owned.

In the midst of the ensuing scandal, Hrafnsson helped launch the Icelandic Modern Media Initiative, (IMMI) the legal movement to give Iceland the world’s strongest free speech and whistle-blower protection laws; He lists himself as an advisor on that project’s website. (See our cover story on Julian Assange, WikiLeaks and IMMI here.)

When I met Hrafnsson in Reykjavik in November, he described the Kaupthing revelations as “a tremendously important revelation, perhaps the most important after the banking crisis” and the trigger for his interest in both WikiLeaks and IMMI. “The shock was incredible for our society, and the urgency and need for information was creating pressure on journalists. There was a lot of banging our heds on the steel wall of the Bank Secrecy Act and getting only bits and pieces of information,” he said. “It goes to show how important it is to have a venue like Wikileaks, an anonymous channel to the public.”

In April, Hrafnsson traveled to Baghdad to film an interview with the children of civilian victims of the Apache helicopter strike that WikiLeaks had exposed and aired under the title “Collateral Murder.” Three months later, he was dismissed from RUV, though whether his connection to WikiLeaks was a factor in the decision isn’t clear. A source at RUV who asked not to be named says that his firing stemmed from a personal disagreement with his superior over a news segment.

Hrafnsson is a far more taciturn character than Assange, and not one who seems to relish the spotlight. He emphasized in our November interview that WikiLeaks wants to “gradually put more emphasis on the leaks than on Wikileaks, and more emphasis on the organization than the founder.”

As for the impact of Assange’s potential arrest? “This is not a one man organization,” he said. “We will continue our work.”

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: December 7, 2010, 11:36:24 pm »
Maybe, and I'm just putting this out there, maybe he actually did do what he's accused of and the US doesn't control every single thing that happens in the world?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #157 on: December 7, 2010, 11:41:24 pm »
Maybe, and I'm just putting this out there, maybe he actually did do what he's accused of and the US doesn't control every single thing that happens in the world?
its possible.... but its a very coincidental timing.. you would imagine he would know better than putting himself in compromising situations just before taking on the US gov.. so i guess its a weak argument against in the eyes of most people.. It certainly shouts out as "smear", "discredit him", etc... he certainly could be guilty, but it would seem unlikely given the circumstances.

maybe he can have a chance to argue his case from Guantanamo like all the other people the US labelled as "bad people" without any trial.

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 7, 2010, 11:45:25 pm »
Has there been any suggestion of him being sent to Guantanamo Bay or of him not getting the same day in court as anyone else?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #159 on: December 7, 2010, 11:48:19 pm »
Has there been any suggestion of him being sent to Guantanamo Bay or of him not getting the same day in court as anyone else?
i'm just highlighting the credibility (or lack there of) of those who are hunting him down so to speak.