Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5737320 times)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: General Arsenal Thread
« Reply #43800 on: April 23, 2017, 08:33:36 pm »
Chuffed with the win today. Missed the first half where we were supposedly quite poor, and rode our luck at times, but it's nice getting to another final, which will obviously be a very tough game.

2 things...the formation...seems to gives us a wee bit extra secutity. I've been crying out for Wenger to try it for ages as I think it suits the players we have and masks some of our defincies. Is it perfect, heck no, but it gives a glimmer of hope we won't be so predictable going forward.

Secondly, and most important, mentality and attitude. Show some balls, put in the hard work, which should be the bare minimum by the way, and you might get some rewards. Turn up half arsed and you'll get spanked, & we have been. Like I said, we haven't turned into a poor team ability wise overnight....attitude wise it seemed we had though. Think.that was the most pleasing aspect of today.

Oh, & I hope Wenger continues with the young lad Holding. I've really liked what I've seen from his so far.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #43801 on: April 23, 2017, 08:39:16 pm »
Good luck in the final lads....you'll have all of Liverpool behind you :thumbup
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #43802 on: April 23, 2017, 08:55:06 pm »
Good luck in the final lads....you'll have all of Liverpool behind you :thumbup

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43803 on: April 23, 2017, 09:07:38 pm »
Thanks lads.

Let's cut a deal, we win the cup, you get top 4.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #43804 on: April 23, 2017, 09:26:32 pm »
Thanks lads.

id bite your hand off

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43805 on: April 23, 2017, 10:22:39 pm »
Good luck in the final, hopefully you win it, I rather you lot won it than Chelsea. If this is Wenger's last season, it would be a good way for him to go out. Although he more than likely will get an extension if he does win it, and drive you lot mad again next year

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43806 on: April 24, 2017, 06:13:13 am »
I can never  remember us being such outsiders for an fa cup match as yesterday. It was pretty much City against the winner of spurs Chelsea in the final. I thought we could get hit 4-0 or something.
Very pleased, keeps our season alive till the end which is nice, because it's been dead for a few months.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43807 on: April 24, 2017, 07:58:07 am »
Could be a big big win for our season. I think playing a match where nothing was expected, a match that was outside the pressures and anger in the league, where a final was in the offing, that helped the players who no longer seemed emotionally shattered and nervous. Winning such a big game could give the club the lift it badly needs and maybe just maybe, top 4 slot isn't out of our reach.

In terms of performance, first half too passive and if not for Craig Pawson and the linesman, we should have been 2-1 down (assuming both sides score their penalty) at half time. Pawson bottled the first half from the moment Gabriel put in a tactical foul to stop a breakaway and got nothing but a freekick against him (whereas the Spurs vs Chelsea ref booked a Chelsea tactical foul early and controlled the game), he did better after halftime but was always chasing to regain control and I can see how the linesman misjudged the cross but Man City have every right to feel the ref shafted them. We weren't bad in first half or anything like that. We were well organized at the back but struggled to break out outside of Oxlade counter-attacks which also allowed us a few Ozil's setplays that Man City were not always comfortable with and we rode our luck

Second half, we had more belief and both sides had big chances, individually we defended well and we looked well organized but Man City could have had four goals in the game (their goal, penalty, the other goal, header off bar), their goal was really sloppy from our point of view but heads didn't drop. Going forward Oxlade made things happen all game, Ozil setplays had some joy, Welbeck was frustrating as hell but when he came on he did help stretch things and create chances so we could have had more then two ourselves. I felt our passes into our front three could have been better and our front three (bar sub Welbeck) struggled to get into game till deep into extra time when Man City were throwing bodies forward so there is work to do. However better work to do with a team confident and with a final then another shattered team
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 08:10:35 am by MagicHat »

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43808 on: April 24, 2017, 09:07:14 am »
Winning such a big game could give the club the lift it badly needs and maybe just maybe, top 4 slot isn't out of our reach.

I just can't see it mate, i think we've left ourselves too much to do. I'm thinking we need to win 6 out of our last 7 to do so, a run of games that include Leicester, Utd & Everton at home & Spurs, Stoke, Southampton away. As North Bank says, im content that having an FA Cup final to play means our season isn't over yet, because it at least dampens the spiral of negativity that was looming over us if we got knocked out yesterday.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43809 on: April 24, 2017, 09:12:17 am »
Yeah it is probably beyond us but it feels a little less beyond us then it did last week and we have to try

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43810 on: April 24, 2017, 09:32:00 am »
We wont get top 4 , but id take an fa cup win over top 4 any year. Although this season looked like wed get neither, and that might still be the case, but its nice to be in with a shout.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43811 on: April 24, 2017, 09:57:07 am »
What's everone's thoughts about the new formation & would you stick with it going forward?

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43812 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:04 am »
What's everone's thoughts about the new formation & would you stick with it going forward?

I think we need new players whether we play 3 at the back or 4. We are not good enough to play any formation long term.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43813 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:15 am »
Great result for the club yesterday, nothing like a final to get the spirits up. Was really hoping for a NLD final but Spurs couldn't keep their side of the bargain, it would have been the biggest grudge match in an FA Cup final since '96. Hope you guys win but I fancy Chelsea to. I'd imagine Chelsea would have to lose a couple of key players to be got at (like Man Utd managed to last week) but you never know, this is Arsenal's tournament and in a one off game anything can happen.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Big Exeter fan, pretending to be a gooner, pretending...yawn
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43814 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:57 pm »
The change in formation seems to just allow more bodies in front of the ball.

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #43815 on: April 24, 2017, 01:46:42 pm »
well done Arsenal, I didn't give them a chance in that game - fair play to them.
hope they can go on and win it now (actually quite like conte but hate Chelsea)
should be a good final - looking forward to it more than I have any fa cup final for years, probably since 2012 actually.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #43816 on: April 24, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
Thanks lads.

Okay I will take that deal, you drop some nice points then boys, please.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43817 on: April 24, 2017, 02:31:31 pm »
I think we need new players whether we play 3 at the back or 4. We are not good enough to play any formation long term.

I agree, but its at least a good string to your bow to have i think, being a bit more flexible tactical wise. Our setup & the flaws in it was just way to easy too read for the opposition. 

The change in formation seems to just allow more bodies in front of the ball.

If you mean when defending then i think that's a good thing, & the general point. We would go to places like Chelsea, have both full backs pushed well up playing like wingers, then a long ball from the opposition would bypass the midfield then all of a sudden we'd have 3 attackers running at Koscielny & Mustafi. It happened time after time. With a team as tactically naive without the ball as ours at times perhaps safety in numbers is the best way to go.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 02:40:03 pm by ScottishGoon »

Offline rich87

• Justice for the 96
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43818 on: April 24, 2017, 02:48:10 pm »
I agree, but its at least a good string to your bow to have i think, being a bit more flexible tactical wise. Our setup & the flaws in it was just way to easy too read for the opposition. 

If you mean when defending then i think that's a good thing, & the general point. We would go to places like Chelsea, have both full backs pushed well up playing like wingers, then a long ball from the opposition would bypass the midfield then all of a sudden we'd have 3 attackers running at Koscielny & Mustafi. It happened time after time. With a team as tactically naive without the ball as ours at times perhaps safety in numbers is the best way to go.

Who does that sound like I wonder. Swap Chelsea for every lower league club this season against us. Unfortunately we don't have the personnel for a switch in formation.

FSG have got us playing a new brand of football. It's called last man standing. Basically the winner is the person who can play the most games because we can't afford squad depth whilst also lining pockets.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #43819 on: April 24, 2017, 03:07:42 pm »
Okay I will take that deal, you drop some nice points then boys, please.

just don't drop them against Man Utd...  ;)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43820 on: April 24, 2017, 03:39:55 pm »

That is exactly it. It is just based on numbers, more numbers in front of the goal basically. It has worked.

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43821 on: April 25, 2017, 08:35:02 am »

Wenger has said the main goal is to stop us getting hit by counter-attacks (or words to that effect) and that has worked. Wenger's version of 4-2-3-1 is to have the double pivot press high and both fullbacks high up the pitch leaving two centrebacks to deal with the counter-attacks. The consequences of that have been going on for awhile but with three at the back, we have numbers to deal with the raids. Ok things like the Man City goal can still happen if we are disognized but generally, we are hit on the break and either got three bodies in the centre or one can go wide as midfield comes back to help out. We look a little vunerable down the flanks but that should come with time as wingbacks and centrebacks learn who is dealing with winger when. There is stuff we could do in a 4 man backline to deal with the counter-attack issue but Wenger seems reluctant to take those routes so three man may be route forward now.

On the atack, it allows our midfield to press high like Wenger wants in some games, we get bodies into the box when crosses come in (other wingback sometimes but usually three forwards and one midfielder) whereas too often it would be striker plus one other. Oxlade is thriving but we do look lopsided at moment as Monreal doesn't offer that same threat down the left, our passing in midfield has to improve while none of our front three seem comfortable at the moment. Granted Sanchez and Ozil are gone so that's a short term issue, suspect a few others may need to be moved on and squad numbers readjusted to to the changes.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #43822 on: April 25, 2017, 09:31:24 am »
Who does that sound like I wonder. Swap Chelsea for every lower league club this season against us. Unfortunately we don't have the personnel for a switch in formation.

FSG have got us playing a new brand of football. It's called last man standing. Basically the winner is the person who can play the most games because we can't afford squad depth whilst also lining pockets.

:lmao

Fucking hell lad isn't it enough to subject Liverpool fans to your nonsense? Leave these poor lads alone, they've got their own problems.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43823 on: April 25, 2017, 11:18:29 am »
Wenger has said the main goal is to stop us getting hit by counter-attacks (or words to that effect) and that has worked. Wenger's version of 4-2-3-1 is to have the double pivot press high and both fullbacks high up the pitch leaving two centrebacks to deal with the counter-attacks. The consequences of that have been going on for awhile but with three at the back, we have numbers to deal with the raids. Ok things like the Man City goal can still happen if we are disognized but generally, we are hit on the break and either got three bodies in the centre or one can go wide as midfield comes back to help out. We look a little vunerable down the flanks but that should come with time as wingbacks and centrebacks learn who is dealing with winger when. There is stuff we could do in a 4 man backline to deal with the counter-attack issue but Wenger seems reluctant to take those routes so three man may be route forward now.

On the atack, it allows our midfield to press high like Wenger wants in some games, we get bodies into the box when crosses come in (other wingback sometimes but usually three forwards and one midfielder) whereas too often it would be striker plus one other. Oxlade is thriving but we do look lopsided at moment as Monreal doesn't offer that same threat down the left, our passing in midfield has to improve while none of our front three seem comfortable at the moment. Granted Sanchez and Ozil are gone so that's a short term issue, suspect a few others may need to be moved on and squad numbers readjusted to to the changes.

Good Analysis Magic Hat, & goes along with my thinking. As North Bank said, whatever system we choose to play, we need a bit more quality in there, but just as important is that we buy players who suit the chosen system / systems going forward.

Whatever happens, we need better control of the midfield with whatever system. I feel with the 2 we have as first choice just now (Xhaka / Ramsey) that the 3 at the back provides a bit more insurance against their deficiencies. Unfortunately Ramsey is a shadow of the player he was a couple of years ago though, certainly for Arsenal anyway. Playing our old system those 2 don't give enough balance however.

As for the slight lopsidedness, Hopefully someone like Kolasinac might provide better balance down the left side as he seems a threat going forward whilst also providing a bit more power.

For the forward positions, I also think Ozil is a bit of a waste in the new system, & would prefer someone a bit more dynamic going forward with better finishing. Think about the good positions he found himself in on the counter, & think the damage someone like Douglas Costa / Mahrez etc could do in those same positions. 

It's going to be interesting to see what Wenger does now, if he gets a couple of more positive results using the 3 at the back, he just might use it next season. I'm intrigued to see what he's going to do.

Offline smiggers

• Kopite
« Reply #43824 on: April 25, 2017, 01:58:57 pm »
On this day in 2004 Arsenal's Invincibles sealed the Premier League title after a 2-2 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.     
https://youtu.be/G_zKvHj2Sqo 

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43825 on: April 25, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
On this day in 2004 Arsenal's Invincibles sealed the Premier League title after a 2-2 draw with Tottenham at White Hart Lane.     
https://youtu.be/G_zKvHj2Sqo

Great day, although I did have a grand on us to win and we blew a 2-0 lead.
Quickly forgotten though.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43826 on: April 27, 2017, 03:35:41 pm »
Need to sell Walcott. Absolutely fucking useless.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43827 on: April 27, 2017, 06:16:28 pm »

Definitely need someone better going forward if we are serious about wanting to challenge at the top of the table.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #43828 on: April 27, 2017, 10:02:01 pm »

Spotted at the Manchester derby.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43829 on: April 27, 2017, 10:20:09 pm »
Spotted at the Manchester derby.

Haha, that's actually pretty good marketing, it redirects to the Parklife Festival website

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43830 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:33 pm »

He's having his best season with us for years right now?  Walcott may be an inconsistent powderpuff player, but we have bigger problems.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #43831 on: April 27, 2017, 10:28:17 pm »
Can Arsenal still sneak in?   It would be hilarious if AW achieves top 4 and wins the FA Cup after the season they've had.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43832 on: April 27, 2017, 10:30:28 pm »
Can Arsenal still sneak in?   It would be hilarious if AW achieves top 4 and wins the FA Cup after the season they've had.

Honestly, fan to fan, I think AW's time has come.  But I would be absolutely speechless if he manages to sneak in the door and win the FA cup.  It would be the perfect time to walk away, to be honest, just as your doubters want you back for more.  Considering how much of a troll Wenger has managed to be, I wouldn't put it past him.

Offline Cliff Bastin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43833 on: April 27, 2017, 10:34:00 pm »
He's having his best season with us for years right now?  Walcott may be an inconsistent powderpuff player, but we have bigger problems.
Nah, he isn't good enough. Very poor now.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43834 on: April 28, 2017, 08:38:34 am »
Agree about Walcott, just too limited. He has speed and a good shot but the rest of his game is so bad  that's it's like playing with 10 men at times.

Someone that really impressed me since we went to a back 3, granit xhaka, few more games like this and I might give him the key to my house.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43835 on: April 28, 2017, 09:26:18 am »
Agree about Walcott, just too limited. He has speed and a good shot but the rest of his game is so bad  that's it's like playing with 10 men at times.

Someone that really impressed me since we went to a back 3, granit xhaka, few more games like this and I might give him the key to my house.

I was going to mention this earlier actually. I know he's been slated on here, & you would expect more with the price tag he has, but our setup before exposed his weaknesses. Lack of mobility, tackling, decision making in general when he didn't have the ball, all ruthlessly exposed at times. I've never had much complaints about him in possession, so again like a few others it's about finding a system or partners that cover for his short comings.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #43836 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:08 am »
Fancy your chances v spurs?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43837 on: April 29, 2017, 09:03:00 am »

We have a better chance than we had a couple of weeks ago, that's for sure.

To be honest, Spurs are still favourites. We look a bit more solid now with the new formation, but attacking wise we haven't really clicked yet. Think we need to improve in this area if we want to get something out the game, we need guys like Ramsey and Ozil to elevate their form.

As much as both need the win, I think the best we might achieve is a draw. Hope we stuff them mind you.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43838 on: April 29, 2017, 09:09:18 am »

Oh aye yeah, I'd be in stitches mate. ::)
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline MagicHat

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43839 on: April 29, 2017, 10:04:31 am »
Xhaka as usually been a good passer of the ball for us who can get the team going, it is the other parts of his game that have been a problem.

Underdogs certainly but players seem more confident now, team a bit more secure so we have a chance