Author Topic: Race Across The World (BBC Two)  (Read 7881 times)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Race Across The World (BBC Two)
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2023, 06:06:25 pm »
Still say Channel 4 show Lost in the early 00's was a superior show.

Dropped them blindfolded in the middle of nowhere with £100 and have to get to the finish point in Trafalgar Square.

I remember when they landed on some former Soviet penal colony island in Siberia or a time they ended up in Tehran and a black contestant was mistaken for being a NBA player and locals mobbing him shaking his hand. ;D

I hope season 4 is travelling across a continent instead of 1 country. Definitely the worst season we've just seen.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 06:10:15 pm by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2023, 07:13:05 pm »
I'm severely pissed off
Spoiler
Ladi didn't win
My favourite human being ever
[close]
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2023, 06:33:48 pm »
Anyone read the allegations of bribery and fixing from this series?

I can’t say I’m surprised there’s been some allegations, there’s generosity and then there’s whatever was on display during this, especially during the finale. Maybe it says more about me as a person but no fucking way would I do a 800km round trip even for a member of my family or a friend (well maybe my kid) but for a pair of strangers you’ve seen at a petrol station??

Offer them a lift to the local bus/train station, sure, cook them dinner, maybe but that is off the charts.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2023, 06:52:42 pm »

I can’t say I’m surprised there’s been some allegations, there’s generosity and then there’s whatever was on display during this, especially during the finale. Maybe it says more about me as a person but no fucking way would I do a 800km round trip even for a member of my family or a friend (well maybe my kid) but for a pair of strangers you’ve seen at a petrol station??

Offer them a lift to the local bus/train station, sure, cook them dinner, maybe but that is off the charts.

No, where has this been reported. They ‘only’ win £20k.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2023, 07:01:59 pm »
No, where has this been reported. They ‘only’ win £20k.
Pretty sure it was in the Mirror. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t a huge exposè or anything but it just highlighted some of the coincidences and unusual stuff that went on. Also to clarify it seemed to point the finger more at the producers rather than the contestants, saying it was more staged than previous series.

However on the point of £20k, yeah it’s not the biggest jackpot but imagine if you’re right at the end like they were knowing a lift would win it for them and saying to the guy ‘give us a lift and we’ll give you £2k if we win’. Still £9k each and he gets a nice payday too. Not saying that did happen but it could

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2023, 01:12:57 am »
Pretty sure it was in the Mirror. Don’t get me wrong it wasn’t a huge exposè or anything but it just highlighted some of the coincidences and unusual stuff that went on. Also to clarify it seemed to point the finger more at the producers rather than the contestants, saying it was more staged than previous series.

However on the point of £20k, yeah it’s not the biggest jackpot but imagine if you’re right at the end like they were knowing a lift would win it for them and saying to the guy ‘give us a lift and we’ll give you £2k if we win’. Still £9k each and he gets a nice payday too. Not saying that did happen but it could

It would be naive to think no aid was given at all. Its TV, and these things happen behind the scenes, whether people would like to believe it or not

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2023, 10:46:51 am »

Have you got the link?

The only one I can see is one titled "BBC's Race Across The World final branded a 'fix' as producers accused of intervening"
https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/bbcs-race-across-world-final-29956815

It is a shite click bait, based on 3 tweets by randoms. The only people doing the branding are divvies on twitter.
Posting on Twitter, one wrote: "Another last-minute fluke..."

"Oh, how convenient. Sorry but this show is so fixed it's blatant now," added another.

"Wow these producers are persuasive," wrote a third.

That is it. That's the entire basis of the shite article

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: September 2, 2023, 08:31:26 pm »
Celebrity version starts on the 13th of September. From Morocco to the arctic, destination point Tromso in Norway.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: September 2, 2023, 08:37:18 pm »
That sounds decent, I'll be watching that.

How many episodes?
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #129 on: September 4, 2023, 11:47:39 am »
My youngest and myself watch this.  I joked that we should do it and how do you think we'd do.  He just said "Dad, you'd just go to the nearest pub and spend the budget". "You're probably right lad, you could go with your mum and give me slob at home time"  ??? ;D

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 7, 2023, 01:57:19 pm »
Celebrity version starts next Wednesday. Great stuff and it has Melanie Blatt in it so even better!

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers

Online Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: September 7, 2023, 05:54:55 pm »
I just heard an ad for this on 6 music,and have absolutely no clue who the "celebs"are and i'm okay with this stuff  passing me by.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2023, 08:12:11 am »
Celeb one has been good. That McFly fella needs to go "easier" on his mum though. She isn't as young as he thinks.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2023, 09:27:04 am »
I just heard an ad for this on 6 music,and have absolutely no clue who the "celebs"are and i'm okay with this stuff  passing me by.

The “celeb” element of this is almost completely irrelevant. It’s not like “Celeb Big Brother”. The rules and the challenges are pretty much identical and they have little to no benefit from being celebrities. Think the McFly bloke has been recognised once, got a selfie taken and that was it. And they’re all quite nice, understated, “normal” people with their mums/dads/siblings.

It just feels like a normal series to me. The prize at the end is obviously a bigger deal for regular contestants, but it doesn’t feel like that’s made much of a difference at all.

Been a good series so far. Anyone’s game.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2023, 09:23:51 pm »
Yep, really enjoyed it and all of them seem pretty nice. In the the ‘normal’ one there is usually one couple that’s annoying but it’s not the case here.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2023, 09:24:21 pm »
My wife has seen Mel’s vagina
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: April 1, 2024, 09:16:05 pm »
New series April 10th across Asia from Japan to Indonesia.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #138 on: April 9, 2024, 06:44:03 pm »
Hope there's much less reliance on hitch-hiking this series, presumably that'll be the case with better public transport and more of a language barrier. Not sure if the countries they'll be going through have a culture of it as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: April 9, 2024, 06:54:34 pm »
Not a single contestant in their 30’s or 40’s. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: April 9, 2024, 10:01:42 pm »
Not a single contestant in their 30’s or 40’s. 
Not all youngsters I hope?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: April 9, 2024, 10:26:01 pm »
Not all youngsters I hope?

Nope there are 2 women in their 50’s alongside their kids and a couple in their 60’s. But there are 6 contestants who are 25 or under. It doesnt matter but just found the mix odd. Guess people in their 30’s and 40’s aint got the time to go travelling for over a month.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: April 9, 2024, 10:30:04 pm »
Hope there's much less reliance on hitch-hiking this series, presumably that'll be the case with better public transport and more of a language barrier. Not sure if the countries they'll be going through have a culture of it as well.

The majority of Asia will be very much about the transport options over hitchhiking I would imagine. Certainly for Japan and I believe for Korea too

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: April 9, 2024, 10:33:39 pm »
The majority of Asia will be very much about the transport options over hitchhiking I would imagine. Certainly for Japan and I believe for Korea too

Yep. In hindsight, despite the fantastic scenery, Canada wasnt a very fun choice. Couldnt even get anywhere unless you managed to convince someone to give you a lift. Plus its also put me off going to Canada, I would find it weird being somewhere where people are so friendly.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: April 9, 2024, 10:39:38 pm »
Yep. In hindsight, despite the fantastic scenery, Canada wasnt a very fun choice. Couldnt even get anywhere unless you managed to convince someone to give you a lift. Plus its also put me off going to Canada, I would find it weird being somewhere where people are so friendly.

Asia will have a tonne of the questions of speed over price - you can spend £120 on a bullet train and get there in 2 hours or spend £20 and get there tomorrow. And when you spend versus when you save.

Think it will be really interesting

Also I am a real fan of East Asia so I am really looking forward to this. I also suspect the Japan/Korea ferry is going to be involved which I want to know as I may be taking that myself next year  ;D

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2024, 10:38:34 pm »
Great first episode but some baffling decision making at times ;D

Still find it annoying that they sprint to the finish of each leg as if it matters. Reckon if it wasn’t on the Beeb they could get a £1000 bonus for winning a leg (ie prize money, not for their race fund) which would give it some edge. Just can’t imagine how fucked off you’d be if your partner started to sprint for the hotel then twisted their ankle under the weight of their massive backpack.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2024, 10:40:41 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2024, 03:02:38 pm »
Great first episode but some baffling decision making at times ;D

Still find it annoying that they sprint to the finish of each leg as if it matters. Reckon if it wasn’t on the Beeb they could get a £1000 bonus for winning a leg (ie prize money, not for their race fund) which would give it some edge. Just can’t imagine how fucked off you’d be if your partner started to sprint for the hotel then twisted their ankle under the weight of their massive backpack.

Yeah the urgency to win a leg baffles me too and it does need some reward for each stage - even a 10/8/6/4/2% budget bonus might work.

The decision making last night was incredible. The black mother and daughter got off to a cracking start and then took a fucking ridiculous detour to a completely irrelevant island and basically spunked about 15% of their total budget on it while losing a full day.

The two young lads looked good but then lost their map and while arguing, nearly their journal too.

The old couple spent a day at a nudist sauna.

I reckon the mother and dyslexic daughter are the favourites, they seem to have their heads screwed on.

Why does no one spend a day learning some basic Japanese like "bus", "train", "cheap food/hotel" since they surely knew where it was going to be weeks in advance?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2024, 03:22:46 pm »
Whats bus in foreignese?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: Yesterday at 08:34:40 am »
I was in Japan 4 weeks ago so enjoying the scenery so far.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: Yesterday at 08:56:39 am »
Really good start and the contestants all seem decent.

Online smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: Today at 03:11:34 pm »
It feels a bit stale to me this series. Maybe they need to change it up a bit. Knock a team out earlier. Win a leg and you can knock another team out. Just seems to be going through the motions a bit. Love the scenery though.

Offline Bcnsean

• Main Stander
« Reply #151 on: Today at 06:04:20 pm »
It feels a bit stale to me this series. Maybe they need to change it up a bit. Knock a team out earlier. Win a leg and you can knock another team out. Just seems to be going through the motions a bit. Love the scenery though.

Agreed the forced sob stories are really tedious.