Author Topic: Remember the name: Robbie Fowler  (Read 7531 times)

Online JamesG L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Remember the name: Robbie Fowler
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:15:09 pm »
‘Remember the name… Robbie Fowler…’

With the new season but a day away it’s time to bask in the annual excitement of the year ahead. The mood of optimism has been buoyed by perceptive movements in the transfer market, which have added depth and variety to Rafa’s squad. Jigsaws and cogs have been debated far and wide, and every Red has a opinion why this year will be ours. My reason isn’t so reasoned, I think we’ll be marching to number nineteen this season because of Robert Bernard Fowler, Liverpool Number 9.

As most of us did, I devoured Robbie’s autobiography, ‘My Story’, and loved every sentence, until the final chapters. I felt the ending just didn’t do justice to Robbie, it seemed as though all the promise of his career had just faded away into nothingness. In Poetics, Aristotle lays the foundation for story structure we know as Three Act Structure. When Robbie resigned for the mighty reds, everything fell into place and Robbie’s Story had a final act worthy of his legend.

The first glorious act was from 1993 – 1998. Aristotle tells us the first act ‘introduces the character and the dramatic premise’. Well the main character is Robbie Fowler, and the dramatic premise is simple, the return of the league championship to its rightful home. From 1995 – 1998 Fowler was on a different plain, somedays you could tell by his first few touches if he was going to score, somedays he was so electric in the first ten minutes of a game you would sit back and wait for another hat trick.   

During the years of 1993 to 1998, I traversed the ages 16 to 21. What glorious years for a young man! Important discoveries are made every week, every day even. Irvine Welsh’s ‘Trainspotting’ one week, The Smiths’ ‘The Queen Is Dead’ the next, which came just after somebody had passed you a copy of ‘The Velvet Underground and Nico’. A time when a maelstrom of Books, Records, Movies and Comedians are feverishly swapped around friends as young men began to get to know themselves and the world they are about to step into.  And as the voices of Bob Dylan and Stanley Kubrick opened up the world for us, the perfect foil was Robbie Fowler, who was just about setting the planet on fire with his football.

As you fall in love with albums, it comes commonplace to find out most of these bands and artists were either long since split up, simply not touring anymore or plain dead. With just echoes of greatness it’s hard, as you have a need to go and see it all for yourself, go to the gigs and experience it all first hand. The Scottish band, Mogwai were the band that did it for us, as here was a band that was, to us, as good as any that had gone before, and going to Glasgow full of filth, fury and naughtiness to watch them live was as good as life gets. They were the link, they became part of the lineage to the great bands like the Smiths and The Stone Roses we had missed out on first time around, and we had got to see them live. Vitally, they were ours and we had the stories to tell.

Liverpool was a club bereft at the time, lost in awkward formations of mediocre players who were occasionally brilliant but often average. The last time Liverpool had won the league I was 12. My dad, granddad, uncles – all fact in fact all the adults in my life - had seen the greats, the insurmountable league and European triumphs, all these great Liverpool victories seeping out of our crest season after season. I’d sway in the Kop and laugh at the stories of champagne in the fountains of Rome and dancing in the alleyways of Soho, and for sure I was proud of it all, but it all felt a bit remote to me. I had been there in the 80s, but I had been a child standing in front of my father, I hadn’t been there full of beer and song, waving my flag on the terraces with my best mates. When I was 17 that’s what I wanted more than anything, and all shouts of ’18 league championships, 4 European cups’ would remain something I would shout and feel pride in, but not quite feel part of until the day it was ’19 League Championships’, or ‘5 European cups’. (I think that’s why we take so much pride with the ‘5 Times’ celebration, as a whole new generation felt a whole renewed connection with the past on the 25th May 2005.)

In Robbie Fowler I could see the lineage, the links to St. John, Souness, Dalglish and Rush in their absolute pomp. In an era were Liverpool struggled for self-identity and stability, Fowler was something fucking great to hold onto. You know, sometimes it was like, we don’t have the trophies right now, but we do have Robbie Fowler. He was vital in my education as a red, as he was the first moment of greatness I that was mine and he gave me stories to tell my children.

And in this zeitgeist Fowler became my hero.

Coming of age you need heroes; writers, comedians, musicians, players, people that can situate you in the lineage of all world you are growing into. We’ll all have different bands and players, but they provide us same function.  When I was reading and listening to artists these authors from a around the world, it was important to see somebody almost the same age from Liverpool who was great, as great as anyone I read or listened to, because it gave me faith in where I was from and what I believed in. I had read all the books about the reds, watched the classic ‘Liverpool In Europe’ VHS so many times it crackled, and here was a player who was animating, rather than talking about, the tradition of our club.

The knee ligament injury in 1998 which kept Robbie out for half a season, against, who else, Everton, opens the curtain on the second act, which lasts from about 1998 - 2006. In Act Two, ‘the main character's attempt to reach his goal is thwarted again and again. Each change leads to a new obstacle standing between him and the final goal’. Unwarranted stories circulated around Liverpool, problems with fitness, spats with Thompson, left out of the team for big games and finally a move away from Anfield to Leeds; so many obstacles faced Robbie that it seemed a certainty the dream of watching Robbie lift the championship was over.

This isn’t how it’s supposed to be with modern day footballers, the closest these flaccid honey voiced posterboys get to drama is how they get their ‘killer’ final contract off the richest clubs, or how young they can get some hack to ghost write dire supermarket autobiographies that hold as much interest as trolley dash in the Everton Club Shop.  Not Robbie Fowler, just as his first act had been sublime his second act was full of incident and high drama.

Watching Robbie for other clubs didn’t sit right, he looked greasy and unfit in other club’s colours. (But he still had the touch, that never, every left him) For me, the lowest point was when Norwich wanted to take Robbie off Man City’s hands. Retirement was even mentioned a few times. An autobiography was released and devoured and it all seemed set to end on whimper.

The final act is called the ‘resolution’, where we see the character solves the story problem and reaches his goal. Robbie’s unexpected final act was initiated by Rafa on 27th January 2006. He has been given the red number 9 jersey and we sit, waiting for the curtain to peel away and the final act to commence. We have all been watching this unfold for eleven years, a true Kubrickian drama full of spellbinding highs and humiliating lows, astonishing goals and moments unforgettable.

I’ve heard him dismissed on the forum as ‘fan fluffer’, ‘unfit’ and ‘too old’. By all accounts he’s as fit as he has been since 2001, and he’s only six months older than Andrey Schevchenco. Of course, he won’t play every game, but whenever he does he will play like it is his last, and the goals and the craft will be vital to our assault on the stranglehold of Stamford Bridge.

True greats should never depart with a whisper, and the half time substitution against Sunderland was no way for a lion to exeunt, we all knew that. If ever a Liverpool player deserves a major trophy, it’s Robbie Fowler. The fingers of fate have conjured and conspired to return the player to Anfield, and, in his final act, let’s see them complete the spell and have Robbie Fowler lift the greatest prize of them all. A fitting climax to a career that truly has had it all.

Roll on Season 2006-2007.

© TheMightyRed 2006
« Last Edit: August 18, 2006, 01:57:25 pm by Rushian »
---It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love-- william melvin hicks

Offline Jqwerty

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Remember the name... Robbie Fowler...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 04:20:45 pm »
Good read. With the new signings of Bellamy and Kuyt, many people have forgotten about Fowler who certainly has performed especially at the tail end of the season. He always manages to pop up at the right times to score the right goals to turn a draw into a win, and a defeat into a draw. So Fowler will be vital, whether as a starter, a substitute or even as an old head to help the newcomers in the squad. Because somehow Fowler has that magic to be able to turn the game on its head...

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 04:23:13 pm »
Good read. With the new signings of Bellamy and Kuyt, many people have forgotten about Fowler who certainly has performed especially at the tail end of the season. He always manages to pop up at the right times to score the right goals to turn a draw into a win, and a defeat into a draw. So Fowler will be vital, whether as a starter, a substitute or even as an old head to help the newcomers in the squad. Because somehow Fowler has that magic to be able to turn the game on its head...

I think Robbie will be good for 15 goals this year...
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 04:23:38 pm »
good read,and having watched fowler in pre-season,i think he'll have a boss season.looks fit,sharp,and ready for action sir!
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline davidg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:21 pm »
Great read..:thumbup

Fate has conspired to keep him away from the glory of Istanbul and during the treble season he was third choice behind Owen and Heskey..It would be truly amazing to see him with the premiership trophy, no player has done more for Liverpool with such little medal return as Robbie..
' When you over simplify, you become unjust ' - Ernest Hemingway

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 04:28:48 pm »
He had a great game last night.  Made some great passes and used his movement quite well.

Mellor also had a good game.

Looks like our forward line might not be as bad as the media would have us believe.

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 04:32:25 pm »
Great read. As many of you have probably realised by now, Robbie is my favourite player. He's not my favourite player just because of the fantastic memories of him as a youngster, but because of his unbridled passion and fantastic talent. At 31, he is still a brilliant player ; bereft of pace and fitness but one of the best around in terms of pure ability.

It really does piss me off when our own fans write him off and simply talk about our other strikers like Robbie doesn't exist. If Robbie plays a lot of games and keeps fit, he can easily be among the top Premiership scorers, because he has the best movement I've seen, and he is one of the best finishers I've ever seen. This is his season to prove everyone wrong.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 04:45:53 pm by shangtsung »
Watch your back.

Offline CuffMkII

• Main Stander
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 04:34:49 pm »
Fantastic read MightyRed. Nice one. :)

Made me feel all funny inside thinking about how Robbie's going to score the goal which will win us the League.

It'll all be in slow motion... We'll be 2-1 up, pressure is on. The opposition have put us under a bit of pressure, they are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table. Stevie breaks from a well defended Corner: Carra never lets us down in those situations. Stevie crosses the halfway line, skips past a tired desperate challenge from their midfielder: "It should be alright, I've put him off slightly".
Stevie is slightly off balance and their left back is closing in fast, then a flash of red catches Stevie's attention in his peripheral vision. He slides the ball perfectly, into the path of the runner, God latches on perfectly. The defenders will be like "Shit, who was watching his run...?" Anfield holds its collective breath: "It's Robbie, he won't miss... will he?" He takes his time, keeper's off his line coming to close him down... A gap... The ball slides through the keepers legs, off the inside of the post, into the net. 3-1 '85 Fowler. Game over... Crowd goes Wild! ;D

Yer, I'll never be writing any screenplays meself :P

Offline shangtsung

• fucking thick
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • to be honest
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 04:38:59 pm »
Fantastic read MightyRed. Nice one. :)

Made me feel all funny inside thinking about how Robbie's going to score the goal which will win us the League.

It'll all be in slow motion... We'll be 2-1 up, pressure is on. The opposition have put us under a bit of pressure, they are fighting for their lives at the bottom of the table. Stevie breaks from a well defended Corner: Carra never lets us down in those situations. Stevie crosses the halfway line, skips past a tired desperate challenge from their midfielder: "It should be alright, I've put him off slightly".
Stevie is slightly off balance and their left back is closing in fast, then a flash of red catches Stevie's attention in his peripheral vision. He slides the ball perfectly, into the path of the runner, God latches on perfectly. The defenders will be like "Shit, who was watching his run...?" Anfield holds its collective breath: "It's Robbie, he won't miss... will he?" He takes his time, keeper's off his line coming to close him down... A gap... The ball slides through the keepers legs, off the inside of the post, into the net. 3-1 '85 Fowler. Game over... Crowd goes Wild! ;D

Yer, I'll never be writing any screenplays meself :P

class :)
Watch your back.

Offline robbieF

• Kemlynite
  • Robbie Fowler superstar!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 04:45:02 pm »
Great read. As many of you have probably realised by now, Robbie is my favourite player. He's not my favourite player just because of the fantastic memories of him as a youngster, but his unbridled passion and fantastic talent. At 31, he is still a brilliant player ; bereft of pace and fitness but one of the best around in terms of pure ability.

It really does piss me off when our own fans write him off and simply talk about our other strikers like Robbie doesn't exist. If Robbie plays a lot of games and keeps fit, he can easily be among the top Premiership scorers, because he has the best movement I've seen, and he is one of the best finishers I've ever seen. This is his season to prove everyone wrong.

Hey, that's mine thoughts!!!
07729204751 - Some ugly dude phone number.

Offline woozie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:11 pm »
fowlers book has been updated with his return to liverpool now
PARRY OUT.

Offline ctyapt

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 04:49:27 pm »
Top read that James,

I love this moment before the season, Unreasonable levels of optimism always abound but this time, well, just that bit more belief...

lets hope it all comes good and Robbie gets the final  act he deserves..

Offline Ulster_Red

• Anny Roader
  • 6 Times
    • Irishleague Forums
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 04:54:27 pm »
I really hope before he retires 'GOD' can finally get his hands on number 19 or even 20
Our Lads Come From All Over The Place, They Talk Dead Funny But They Play Dead Great

Offline Maple Leaf Red

• Kopite
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 04:56:34 pm »
Brilliant read. I enjoyed the link to Aristotle's Three Act Structure.

I hope Robbie is as fit as everyone has been saying. If he keeps popping up with winners like last year then I think that a target of 15 goals in within reach.

The anticipation to this season is killing me. I wish it was Saturday...
What fun would a championship be without some hiccups?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 04:57:57 pm »
Quality read! I'm a couple of years younger than you by the sounds of it but you captured perfectly what Robbie meant to me in that 1st spell. Ok the mancs were dominating and nothing could compete with that but the fact that we had this ourageous talent was a massive crumb (maybe a loaf!) of comfort! From 95-98 you would expect him to score every game and some of the goals in that time were genius. Off the top of my head:

The 2 at Old Trafford in 96
The 2 at Old Trafford in 96 (FA Cup semi)
The 2nd against Newcastle in the first 4-3
The goal away to Brann Bergen
The volley away to West Ham in about 97
The nutmeg of Staunton and 30 yarder v Villa in 96

These were all quality finishes of differing types. A goalscoring genius. If his goals help us to number 19 thsi season I'll be made up. That description of his league winning goal earlier sent a little tingle down the spine!

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 05:09:23 pm »
Our best bet last season to break a game open for us and now has the knowledge that Bellamy & Co will help him out.

Looking forward to seeing him blossom this year and I bet you theres no way Rafa will drop him if he scores a hat trick this time around.

:champ
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline kevinbrodie

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 05:20:38 pm »
Just finished his book so the timing of this thread is perfect. I enjoyed the book even more knowing that the final chapters wasn't the entire story.   At the time I thought we were correct to sell Robbie for the money we got. I still feel it was the best thing for him and the club. After reading the book I still feel the same way. I think that is why it made Jan 27th one of the highlights of last season for me.

Robbie is brilliant. He is one of us. Lets hope he can do it for himself and his many supporters.
Rafa is my Shankly

Offline StevieG26

• Would like to be the first of offer his criticisms.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2006, 05:23:10 pm »
Our best bet last season to break a game open for us and now has the knowledge that Bellamy & Co will help him out.

Looking forward to seeing him blossom this year and I bet you theres no way Rafa will drop him if he scores a hat trick this time around.

:champ

Yeah I remember a game against Forest where Owen scored 4 (!) inside 75 minutes and was substituted. Owen was (to say the least) quite pissed off.
"Football is not a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more important than that."

Bill Shankly.

Offline stevenalonsa

• Legacy Fan
  • my d.o.b. 30.5.85 same as gerrard
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2006, 05:28:35 pm »
Hope he scores plenty..Think he will get very good service this time around from the likes of Bellamy, Pennant  and GOnzalez..He along with Crouch or Kuyt could form a great partnership..Very Happy with the squad we have got.. :)

Offline paul_ocon

• Main Stander
  • God's return
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2006, 05:29:49 pm »
I've put a couple of quid each way on Robbie to be top goal scorer, lets just hope he gets his fair share of games which I'm sure he will.
When you walk through the storm
hold your head up high.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2006, 05:55:01 pm »
nice read that, Mighty, cheers
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2006, 06:05:47 pm »
TheMightyRed    :scarf

well done son..well done... :wellin

And here's to Robbie ..#9 in your programme, #1 in your hearts... :champ
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2006, 06:11:29 pm »

Kuyt and Bellamy would appear to be our first choice pairing. Can't see Fowler starting that many games, although Rafa likes to involve all players and rest stars where possible.

If he can keep fit, he may come off the bench and save us a few times.

Bear in mind that he's 31 and his knees are fucked. Still got something to offer but let's keep things in perspective here.

Having said that, if he does get 15 goals, no-one will be happier than me.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2006, 06:55:25 pm »
One tiny little simple word which i think is on the tip of everyones tongue........

GOD!!!!!

SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline XabisMission

• Main Stander
  • Member of the "Cult of Rafa"
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2006, 07:02:29 pm »
Quality post  :thumbup
Hodgson just go, walk out the door, don't turn around now, coz you're not welcome anymore

Offline jamiehill

• Kopite
  • MacIntyre, Treadmore and Davitt
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2006, 07:09:07 pm »
Don't underestimate what Robbie did last season with the goals he got. He may only have got 5 or 6 but some of them were match winners against difficult teams.

He also started a scoring spree for the strikers after our goal drought. That first goal against Fulham at home was so important. He made it look so easy. It was if he was saying to the others. "That's how you do it. It's THAT simple."

Rafa gave a description of Robbie that summed up his current form without going overboard. It was something like 'Robbie is an intelligent player with good positional sense who is also a good finisher in front of goal'.

Rafa said that he signed him for footballing reasons, not for sentiment. From a PR point of view it was a masterstroke. As if winning the Champions League and Super Cup in his first season was not enough, he brings a Liverpool legend back from the brink of obscurity, then wins the FA Cup after knocking out ManU for the first time in 85 years, then beating Chelsea again in the Semi. (If you wrote it as a script, no-one would believe you!)
The English club proved that miracles really do exist. I've now made Liverpool my English team. They showed that football is the most beautiful sport of all. They showed their unconditional support at half-time when they were losing 3-0 and still they didn't stop singing." Diego Maradona

Offline shopkins5

• Main Stander
  • What man believes man can achieve
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2006, 10:02:29 pm »
Good read, Robbie has still got a massive part to play this season, think he will thrive on the crosses provided by our new widemen.
"A team that plays the Liverpool way and wins the Championship in May"

Offline Martyn.

• Nearly 20 and still a virgin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2006, 11:14:27 pm »
I love Robbie, his autobiography was certainly insightful.
Number 9

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2006, 11:48:08 pm »
Great read that,  thanks.

I hope he gets his fair share of games. Robbie can still do it. I'd love to see him with a league winners medal at the end of the season. He deserves it.

Offline Rizla

• Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Once a knob always a knob
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2006, 11:52:39 pm »
He will have a role to play this season though he may find himself 4th choice now...but that may not mean much as Rafa likes to rotate his forward line, he will be involved and he will get goals, though I have a feeling this could end up being his last season

Offline DannyD

• Son Of Millie Tant. General Secretary of the National Union of Ice Cream Miners
  • Legacy Fan
  • 60 Years torment for Palestinians make it the last
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2006, 12:18:45 am »
I think Robbie will be good for 15 goals this year...

and 20-25 assists
I lay before you a plan of freedom - adopt it, and you rid the world of inequality, misery, and crime. A martyr in your cause, I am become the prophet of your salvation.

Offline chrstphr

• Main Stander
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2006, 05:44:28 am »
great read
a true red legend

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Remember the name: Robbie Fowler
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2006, 02:06:23 pm »
Loved this piece. You've found the perfect metaphor there in the three acts. But fuck, I must be getting old when people who are were too young to have seen the Stone Roses live can write that well!

Offline jman316

• Anny Roader
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2006, 03:44:26 pm »
Fantastic read mate, I see him been used in the Yari Litmanen/Berkhamp type. What a great player and would be great to see him lift the Trophy.

Offline IrishDave

• This custom title is invisible
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert clever comment here ............
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2006, 04:49:02 pm »
No one deserves that Championship medal more. I honestly think I'll be in fucking bits if I ever get to see Robbie be part of a Championship team.
Keep your friends close & your enemies won't matter

Offline Iweedonthekop

• Boys Pen
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2006, 05:18:40 pm »
Do not underestimate the love that RF has for the club. If he sits on the bench all season and never kicks a ball he will be celebrating our 19th like he won it on his own
Be happy in our victories - for they will come
-and often. ( a pissed mate in Istanbul, before the game))