Author Topic: Tottenham Terminate Terrible Tim  (Read 1215204 times)

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
Re: Just how good are Spurs?
« Reply #320 on: December 29, 2011, 12:38:21 pm »
they are pretty decent to be fair and will get a champs league spot unless they fuck up.

Mind you,I think 'arry will go for the Ingurland job and Modric will be prised away.
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #321 on: December 29, 2011, 12:46:50 pm »
There's so much bitterness about Spurs on this forum it's ridiculous.

Redknapp has done a great job there.  They play fantastic football and they're within touching distance of City and Utd without having spent anywhere near as much (as City) or having the experience of chasing titles (like Utd).

I remember when Spurs were starting their Champions League campaign and there were posters on here who couldn't wait to lol when they didn't even qualify.  And then they did.  Then there were posters who couldn't believe their luck when they saw the group Spurs were in and couldn't wait to lol when they couldn't get out of it.  And then they did.  Then they drew Milan and loads of people got their lolhats on for when Spurs would be tactically outclassed and shown up by a side with real European pedigree.  But Spurs knocked them out.  They only fell down when they came up against Real (who'd spent millions on their squad) and there's really no shame in that.  Especially for a team in their first Champions League outing.

If there was an equivalent to Spurs in the Italian or Spanish leagues who played football like they do and were up there challenging the real powerhouses of the league then everyone would be saluting them.

Regardless of his media whoring and newspaper columns, Redknapp hasn't ever had a crack at a big club prior to Spurs and he is doing a brilliant job with them.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #322 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:40 pm »
Spurs are peaking now. Cant be much doubt about that, they're playing some very good football and picking up a lot of points.

But is the contingency there?

King is still a crock and liable to have to retire at any minute.
The rest of their defence is hardly anything to write home about.
Friedel's no spring chicken.
Nor is Parker
Modric is always likely to want a move away. And will be massively in demand.
Bale ditto.
Adebayor is only on loan, and is prone to going off the boil.
Defoe and Pav both want out.
Redknapp will be out of there in the summer.

So yes, at the moment they're looking very good. But can't help but get the feeling that this is the crest of their wave.

Offline moses

• Anny Roader
  • liverpool are magic, everton are tragic..
« Reply #323 on: December 29, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »
3rd best team in the league-simple as
'I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure'

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #324 on: December 29, 2011, 01:50:56 pm »
They've been fortunate in a lot of ways. They started the season in awful fashion against the two Manchester clubs, but settled once the window was closed and Modric remained with the team. The schedule has been kind to them in some respects as they've played the majority of their more difficult games at home and they've had a long stretch between mid-October onwards where the majority of their opponents were in the bottom half of the table. Their key players haven't suffered long-term injuries or suspensions and they've been able to quietly build momentum over the course of the season without a glaring media spotlight.

The big test for them will be the period between January 22nd and March 31st, which includes away fixtures against Liverpool, Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal and a home game against Manchester United. If one or more players of the Bale, Adebayor and Van der Vaart triumvirate were to be injured for several weeks or months during that time, they could be in serious trouble, especially given how packed it is in the top six or seven positions. Newcastle were fourth in late November, but after injuries began to take their toll, they've only picked up five points in their last five games and are sitting in seventh. Granted Spurs have a bigger and much better squad than Newcastle, but it doesn't take much for a team to begin to slide once a few things go off the boil, as we've seen many times with ourselves.

Spurs are peaking now. Cant be much doubt about that, they're playing some very good football and picking up a lot of points.

Nor is Parker
Bale ditto.

So yes, at the moment they're looking very good. But can't help but get the feeling that this is the crest of their wave.

I'd agree with this summary. They shored up the gaping holes in the summer that have needed to be filled in for several seasons (consistent goalkeeping, a proper holding midfielder and a solid striker), but in reality those signings were a short-term fix. It will be interesting to see how things pass for them in the summer, because if they have a mare in the second half of the season and miss out on the CL, the whole thing could collapse like a house of cards.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #325 on: December 29, 2011, 02:06:52 pm »

Nor is Parker
Bale ditto.

Agreed but Kaboul and Dawson are very good defenders especially the former.

And no one is going to match the price Spurs will want for Bale.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #326 on: December 29, 2011, 02:19:31 pm »
Agreed but Kaboul and Dawson are very good defenders especially the former.

And no one is going to match the price Spurs will want for Bale.

Kaboul looks good when partnered with King. Im not so sure he'd be the same player without him. Kind of like how Skrtel looks a different player when alongside Agger. Dawson is the definition of average though.

I think you'll be surprised about Bale. Can see many a team stumping up the money for him. Although Levy is a master of getting every last penny when selling I could certainly see any number of team's parting with £35m+ for Bale if he keeps up his current form.

Can also see Bale wanting the move. He seems to be a determined lad who wants to maximise himself. Im not sure he can do that at Spurs. If a Madrid, Munich, Barca, Milan, Man U/City came in for him I think he'd be very receptive to a move.

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: December 29, 2011, 02:25:12 pm »
I think you'll be surprised about Bale. Can see many a team stumping up the money for him. Although Levy is a master of getting every last penny when selling I could certainly see any number of team's parting with £35m+ for Bale if he keeps up his current form.

We wouldn't sell him for 35 million though. We turned down 40 million for Modric even though he was desperate to leave, and I imagine we'd do the same if a 40 million bid came in for Bale. I've always been highly critical of Daniel Levy as a chairman (especially after the Jol/Ramos shenanigans) but I can't fault the way he dealt with Modric at all. Everyone thought he was mad to keep an unhappy player but its paid dividends so far

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: December 29, 2011, 02:36:38 pm »
Kaboul looks good when partnered with King. Im not so sure he'd be the same player without him. Kind of like how Skrtel looks a different player when alongside Agger. Dawson is the definition of average though.

Can also see Bale wanting the move. He seems to be a determined lad who wants to maximise himself. Im not sure he can do that at Spurs. If a Madrid, Munich, Barca, Milan, Man U/City came in for him I think he'd be very receptive to a move.

The only teams that could muster up the cash for him would be City Chelsea, Barca and Madrid as i can't see Spurs letting him go for anything under 45 million. I certainly don't see Barca and Madrid going for him which leaves City and Chelsea, since there is every chance of Spurs finishing above Chelsea this season, i would say the only realistic option would be City. And yeah he does seem a determined lad, but there is nothing saying he couldn't maximize his potential at Spurs, like i said before they are only a few signings from challenging the league, Barca and Madrid are in a league of their own but i don't think they are that far away from Milan, United etc.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #329 on: December 29, 2011, 02:38:27 pm »
We wouldn't sell him for 35 million though. We turned down 40 million for Modric even though he was desperate to leave, and I imagine we'd do the same if a 40 million bid came in for Bale. I've always been highly critical of Daniel Levy as a chairman (especially after the Jol/Ramos shenanigans) but I can't fault the way he dealt with Modric at all. Everyone thought he was mad to keep an unhappy player but its paid dividends so far

£35m+ I said. It could be much more then that.

But things can change and should Bale's head be turned, for any number of reasons, then it could well happen.

Same as it could with again with Modric, come the end of the season, or at some point in the future he might want to manufacture his way out. He wouldn't go cheap, but thats not to say he wont go. He still hasnt signed that improved contract has he?

Spurs have to match their ambition. And with Redknapp possibly on his way out in the summer as well as any number of other things which might happen with regards to your squad its not a sure thing that you'll be able to.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #330 on: December 29, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »
The only teams that could muster up the cash for him would be City Chelsea, Barca and Madrid as i can't see Spurs letting him go for anything under 45 million. I certainly don't see Barca and Madrid going for him which leaves City and Chelsea, since there is every chance of Spurs finishing above Chelsea this season, i would say the only realistic option would be City. And yeah he does seem a determined lad, but there is nothing saying he couldn't maximize his potential at Spurs, like i said before they are only a few signings from challenging the league, Barca and Madrid are in a league of their own but i don't think they are that far away from Milan, United etc.

Right now they're not. But next season, without 'Arry or without Adebayor, or without King or a mixture of all 3 then they might not be so close. And Bale and Modric might not be so happy to remain.

Parker is 32, King 31 (and a crock), Friedel 40, Adebayor isnt their player and their manager is being courted for another job. One he's seemingly very keen on.

Spurs need to keep moving forward, they could well do just that, but there will be a few speed bumps along the way. All depends on how they cope with them.

Its far from certain that they'll be in such a strong position this time next season.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2011, 02:48:12 pm »
Do spurs still have a very rigid wage system in place?

If so I think they should break it to ensure they keep Bale and Modric this summer.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #332 on: December 29, 2011, 02:54:18 pm »
Right now they're not. But next season, without 'Arry or without Adebayor, or without King or a mixture of all 3 then they might not be so close. And Bale and Modric might not be so happy to remain.

Parker is 32, King 31 (and a crock), Friedel 40, Adebayor isnt their player and their manager is being courted for another job. One he's seemingly very keen on.

Spurs need to keep moving forward, they could well do just that, but there will be a few speed bumps along the way. All depends on how they cope with them.

Its far from certain that they'll be in such a strong position this time next season.

It would be perfect for Harry. He gets them into the Champions League again, leaves on a high and the next man doesn't make it. the media can ignore Ade going etc and hail Harry even more. He's not a bad manager at all, but does get over-hyped.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #333 on: December 29, 2011, 03:06:44 pm »
It would be perfect for Harry. He gets them into the Champions League again, leaves on a high and the next man doesn't make it. the media can ignore Ade going etc and hail Harry even more. He's not a bad manager at all, but does get over-hyped.

Spot the iceberg coming and make sure you're not on board when it hits. Always leave on a high. He did it at Pompy.

Mourinho's the master of it. Spotted to money problems at Inter and an ageing squad and moved before it took hold. Same at Chelsea, just before they curbed their spending for a period and just when Abromovich was losing a bit of interest he was gone.

'Arry will be lauded for getting Spurs in to the Champions League, should they get there, over one of Arsenal or Chelsea. And then he'll start to focus on the England job, safe in the knowledge that he doesnt have to worry about keeping them there next season. His reputation at an all time high and increasing all the time the Spurs slide down the table, because he's not there.

Good old 'Arry's a decent manager. But he lives in the present and he's all about short term solutions. Spurs will go in to decline when he leaves, not because they cant replace him. But because he's left behind a club that's not set up for the future. Was the same at Pompy, Saints and West Ham.

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #334 on: December 29, 2011, 03:17:49 pm »
Very very good at the moment, only difference between us and them is they have been taking their chances, without Lucas and gerrard they have a better midfield , we have a better defence. Attack is one where we have the better player in Suarez but they have the better strike partnership in adebayor and VDV.
If we had a prolific scorer we'd be pushing the two manc clubs like spurs are.
YNWA

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: December 29, 2011, 03:49:23 pm »
They are better than us, I know that much. A very good side and despite all the hate for 'Arry, he has done a good job there. It would be suicide for him if he left the Spurs project to take the England job.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »
They are a good team and much mentally stronger than other teams that they have had. They are the 3rd best team at the moment in this league.

That said, they still won't win anything regularly. Also, they are making the most of a few really top class players who are on top of their game, in Modric and Bale, with suitable supporting acts of Van Der Vaart, Adebayor, Parker and Lennon. You take Modric and Bale out then you won't really see the strength in depth and winning mentality that someone like Chelsea of old or Man Utd possess.

Winning teams need that mentality that they will win regardless of whoever they sell. They don't have it.

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: December 29, 2011, 04:22:05 pm »
They are better than us, I know that much. A very good side and despite all the hate for 'Arry, he has done a good job there. It would be suicide for him if he left the Spurs project to take the England job.
How so?
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Ryba

• A self-confessed "bit of a twat", who thinks Everton will win the league 2010-11, is either very deluded or reckons Everton will be demoted to The Championship ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • bluenose
« Reply #338 on: December 29, 2011, 05:23:40 pm »
There's so much bitterness about Spurs on this forum it's ridiculous.

Redknapp has done a great job there.  They play fantastic football and they're within touching distance of City and Utd without having spent anywhere near as much (as City) or having the experience of chasing titles (like Utd).

I remember when Spurs were starting their Champions League campaign and there were posters on here who couldn't wait to lol when they didn't even qualify.  And then they did.  Then there were posters who couldn't believe their luck when they saw the group Spurs were in and couldn't wait to lol when they couldn't get out of it.  And then they did.  Then they drew Milan and loads of people got their lolhats on for when Spurs would be tactically outclassed and shown up by a side with real European pedigree.  But Spurs knocked them out.  They only fell down when they came up against Real (who'd spent millions on their squad) and there's really no shame in that.  Especially for a team in their first Champions League outing.

If there was an equivalent to Spurs in the Italian or Spanish leagues who played football like they do and were up there challenging the real powerhouses of the league then everyone would be saluting them.

Regardless of his media whoring and newspaper columns, Redknapp hasn't ever had a crack at a big club prior to Spurs and he is doing a brilliant job with them.

Good post, sums it up

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #339 on: December 29, 2011, 05:57:55 pm »
he'd do as well as Terry Venables did. I don't think Redknapp will leave Spurs.
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #340 on: December 30, 2011, 03:44:25 pm »
Mourinho to Spurs when Redknapp leaves, was a discussion I had with a friend in the pub last night. Possible.

Offline Red James

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:32 pm »
How so?

He's got a good thing going on there. He's turned Spurs into a title challenging club with some quality players and they can only improve. The England job is a poisened chalice, look what it's done to every other manager who has taken the job. I don't think he can do much better than what they have. I could be proven wrong but sticking with Spurs would be a safer bet for him.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: December 31, 2011, 11:37:29 am »
He's got a good thing going on there. He's turned Spurs into a title challenging club with some quality players and they can only improve. The England job is a poisened chalice, look what it's done to every other manager who has taken the job. I don't think he can do much better than what they have. I could be proven wrong but sticking with Spurs would be a safer bet for him.

Its a job and challenge that he wants.  The 'safer' option could see him sacked a few years down the line if the club don't deal well with losing players and their results slide.  The media will give a bit of leeway to Redknapp in the England job - actually they'd probably give Hodgson an easy enough time of it.

Offline revelationx

• Kopite
« Reply #343 on: January 1, 2012, 03:48:59 am »
Do spurs still have a very rigid wage system in place?

If so I think they should break it to ensure they keep Bale and Modric this summer.

Wages will prevent them from keeping their best players. Their highest earner is currently Van Der Vaart on £70,000 pw. I am not sure what Modric gets but he could get double that at Chelsea and three times that at City. Spurs cannot afford (or will refuse to pay) Adebayor's wages. He has already publicly said he is not willing to take a pay cut and join Spurs permanently! Currently Man City are paying most of Adebayor's wages which are about £170,000 pw!

At the moment Spurs are doing very well, largely because Modric is acting professionally and getting on with actually playing football for Spurs after getting his move to Chelsea blocked. Many players throw a strop when they get their heads turned and this is what happened with Berbatov when Spurs could not play him as his 'head was not right'. He then got his move to Man U a few weeks later. If a big club or Chelsea put in a bid for Bale, then who knows how he will react. The difference in wage levels between Spurs and the other main contenders is massive, which makes their players very vulnerable to being poached. It's not about the Champion's League really.

Offline Areal

• Main Stander
« Reply #344 on: January 1, 2012, 04:02:00 am »
Van der Vaart must have been one of the best signs in 5 years or so.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: January 1, 2012, 04:30:33 am »
Hasn't Parker picked up an injury today ?

Offline Tommy_W

• Jol-ly. Constipated.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 1, 2012, 11:27:41 am »
Hasn't Parker picked up an injury today ?

He went off with a knock to his knee, yeah. Not sure how bad it was though. He just sat on the bench with an ice pack on it so hopefully it's not too bad. Sandro has been superb again since coming back into the team though so it's not a major worry anyway.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #347 on: January 1, 2012, 12:04:01 pm »
Wages will prevent them from keeping their best players. Their highest earner is currently Van Der Vaart on £70,000 pw. I am not sure what Modric gets but he could get double that at Chelsea and three times that at City. Spurs cannot afford (or will refuse to pay) Adebayor's wages. He has already publicly said he is not willing to take a pay cut and join Spurs permanently! Currently Man City are paying most of Adebayor's wages which are about £170,000 pw!

At the moment Spurs are doing very well, largely because Modric is acting professionally and getting on with actually playing football for Spurs after getting his move to Chelsea blocked. Many players throw a strop when they get their heads turned and this is what happened with Berbatov when Spurs could not play him as his 'head was not right'. He then got his move to Man U a few weeks later. If a big club or Chelsea put in a bid for Bale, then who knows how he will react. The difference in wage levels between Spurs and the other main contenders is massive, which makes their players very vulnerable to being poached. It's not about the Champion's League really.

I can't see any other club paying him £170k a week so he will have to take a pay cut.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
  • What I write is conspiracy nonsense
« Reply #348 on: January 1, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »
Mourinho to Spurs when Redknapp leaves, was a discussion I had with a friend in the pub last night. Possible.

:boxhead

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: January 1, 2012, 02:04:39 pm »
I can't see any other club paying him £170k a week so he will have to take a pay cut.

PSG? He is a native French speaker and played there for some time before going to Arsenal. I think it's going to be between PSG and Spurs for his signature, and if goes for the money he moves back to France...

Also, Anzhi or on the hunt for a striking partner to Eto'o and we've seen the lure of monstrous contracts at off the radar clubs for namely Brazilian and African players  ;)
« Last Edit: January 1, 2012, 02:06:32 pm by Roslagen »

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #350 on: January 1, 2012, 02:21:00 pm »

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: January 1, 2012, 02:27:14 pm »
It's an outsider bet!

Ain't gonna happen!

Offline snoop123

• Kopite
« Reply #352 on: January 1, 2012, 02:32:08 pm »
They a very good side at the mo. Sure Harry might not be the greatest manager in the world, and yes he is over hyped in the media, but anyone who thinks he hasnt done a good job with spurs is deluded. Think Harry would be stupid to leave spurs and take the poisoned chalice that is the england job.
Liverpool are magic!! Everton are tragic

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 1, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »
They a very good side at the mo. Sure Harry might not be the greatest manager in the world, and yes he is over hyped in the media, but anyone who thinks he hasnt done a good job with spurs is deluded. Think Harry would be stupid to leave spurs and take the poisoned chalice that is the england job.

Whilst I agree with you about the England job, Harry doesnt, hes been whoring himself for it for years and if Spurs finish the season well hes a shoe in to be offered it after the Euros and he will jump at it.

Offline Roslagen

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 1, 2012, 03:25:06 pm »
What are the bookies saying on Mark Hughes to Spurs for next year? Or is Moyes favoured in case Harry goes?

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: January 9, 2012, 10:21:58 am »
Ledley King out injured, hamstring injury apparently. Interesting to see how Spurs cope without him, no doubt he'll be back for the game against us mind.

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #356 on: January 9, 2012, 01:25:51 pm »
Hughes to Fulham is the latest doing the rounds.

QPR no?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #357 on: January 9, 2012, 02:18:54 pm »
Spurs are really good and they will be hoping (needing) to thump Everton on Wednesday night to underline the fact.

I'd be even more wary of Spurs if they strengthen their matchday squad with one or two players in this window.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 9, 2012, 09:19:51 pm »
Ledley King out injured, hamstring injury apparently. Interesting to see how Spurs cope without him, no doubt he'll be back for the game against us mind.
Dawson will be back soon and whilst he doesn't lead like King he is decent.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #359 on: January 9, 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
huge loss for spurs , last time i read he had played 10 games this season and they had a 90% win rate with him .

Take the stat was correct on SSN