Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 58452 times)

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #560 on: March 6, 2012, 12:01:38 pm »
Has anyone tried to put an HTC rom on the Samsung? Does it work?

I'm thinking of picking up a Samsung S2, but I think I would miss Sense UI too much.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/search.php?searchid=19472467

A few seem to have tried. Doesn't look like there's a version out yet that you'd want to use over stock firmware though.
« Last Edit: March 6, 2012, 12:04:04 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #561 on: March 6, 2012, 02:24:45 pm »
Just got mine back from Carphone Warehouse, nice shiny new unscratched screen :)  Was tempted to get them to fit me a screen protector, but was £15 for the protector itself and £8 fitting. Don't mind paying the £80 for the screen replacement (though would have preferred not to have done, obviously), but no way I'm paying £23 for a protector. Problem is I find it impossible to fit one without getting dust etc. underneath and ending up with bubbles everywhere.

I have felt mine go quite hot but I dont know if it's a reason enough to stop doing what i am - I'm sure it's been tested enough not to have issues when running warm

I'm more concerned about my hand melting than the phone itself :) 

RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
« Reply #562 on: March 6, 2012, 05:51:21 pm »
Just got mine back from Carphone Warehouse, nice shiny new unscratched screen :)  Was tempted to get them to fit me a screen protector, but was £15 for the protector itself and £8 fitting. Don't mind paying the £80 for the screen replacement (though would have preferred not to have done, obviously), but no way I'm paying £23 for a protector. Problem is I find it impossible to fit one without getting dust etc. underneath and ending up with bubbles everywhere.

If it's any consolation, I've yet to meet anyone who's installed a screen protector without getting ANY dust under there, even a tiny spec. That's why it's a good idea to get several of them from fleabay :)
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #563 on: March 6, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »

If it's any consolation, I've yet to meet anyone who's installed a screen protector without getting ANY dust under there, even a tiny spec. That's why it's a good idea to get several of them from fleabay :)
For £23 you will be able to afford a lot of practice! ;-)

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #564 on: March 6, 2012, 09:35:43 pm »

screen protector are for sissies :D how you scratched yours? the screen is very tough.

(try ebay if you want accessories for almost nothing)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #565 on: March 6, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »

I actually bought an IPAD one from Poundland at the weekend and kept cutting it to size - still didn't work though. I kind of expected it not to though due to all the cracks (see photo a few pages back). Although it was a bit late for protection, I just wanted it on there until I got it fixed as it was annoying running my fingers over the sharp bits.

screen protector are for sissies :D how you scratched yours? the screen is very tough.

(try ebay if you want accessories for almost nothing)

It smashed rather than scratched. Was sat watching the FA Cup win over the Mancs on the TV, slipped out of my hand from knee height and fell flat onto laminate flooring and smashed, which did surprise me as its supposed to be strong. Due to me having more important things on my mind (i.e. the match) I didn't notice it was smashed until I decided to put something on twitter after it had finished and saw the cracks. First phone I've had where I decided not to take insurance out. Also the first phone I've broken. Sods law.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #566 on: March 7, 2012, 12:24:07 am »
Anyone ever had a yellow hazard sign pop up when charging? Dunno what it means but am guessing not good, ffs.
hi

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #567 on: March 7, 2012, 12:08:37 pm »
Has anyone tried to put an HTC rom on the Samsung? Does it work?

I'm thinking of picking up a Samsung S2, but I think I would miss Sense UI too much.

You could try go launcher, there's load of stuff by them that mimic sense and all the other major skins.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #568 on: March 7, 2012, 01:25:21 pm »
You could try go launcher, there's load of stuff by them that mimic sense and all the other major skins.

Only problem I found with go launcher was that they seemed to release updates on a daily basis - every day I'd have to select it as the default launcher again which got a bit irritating. I ended up stopping automatic updates on it for that reason. It is very good though.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #569 on: March 7, 2012, 07:09:20 pm »
Anyone ever had a yellow hazard sign pop up when charging? Dunno what it means but am guessing not good, ffs.

have you rooted your phone? similar shows up when i boot mine with an unsigned Rom
STFU and agree with me.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #570 on: March 8, 2012, 10:43:01 am »

cheers for the input guys. i may go down this route when the time comes!
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #571 on: March 8, 2012, 11:59:26 am »
Got my S2 yesterday after having a Tocco Lite for a few years, literally love this phone already, mind blowing compared to anything previous I have used. Just a couple of questions though;

I am a bad, bad technophobe to the point of being worried to download any apps incase it blows up or kills it.

What apps should I be downloading, should I have some kind of anti-virus? The offer Voda have done is 900 minutes, unlimited texts and 500m of internet for £22. I take it I just throw my old sim in and can happily surf away? It said last night 'no internet connection' but then is fine today?

Cheers lads.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #572 on: March 8, 2012, 01:11:27 pm »
You should download the LFCHistory app  ;) :wave

In terms of Antivirus I have installed lookout, it scans every app when you download it seems to do the job.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: March 8, 2012, 01:36:17 pm »
Avast works well

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #574 on: March 10, 2012, 02:04:23 am »
Samsung has confirmed that it will not be able to deliver its Android 4.0 update as originally planned.

The manufacturer was supposed to roll out the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade for the Galaxy S II tomorrow, but now it says the process won't happen until a bit later.

The company said that it does have a new date confirmed internally but is not yet sharing it with the public. This comes as just the latest setback in the Ice Cream Sandwich update saga.

The first phone that tried to update was the Nexus S, a phone that Google actually had an active hand in developing. The upgrade process seemed to be running smoothly, with handsets beginning to receive the new OS in December.

But Google quickly yanked the updates after numerous reports of upgraded phones freezing and crashing. It would not admit that was the reason for pulling the update, but we have to assume that it was.

Then, early this year, Asus decided to push Ice Cream Sandwich to its Transformer Prime tablet. Same story. Updates began being sent through, but users reported numerous instances of crashing software as soon as ICS was installed. So that update was yanked as well.

Ice Cream Sandwich came built-in to the Galaxy Nexus phone, and on that device it runs just fine, but getting legacy devices to come on board has been the most embarrassing part of Android's history to date.

Only about 1% of active Android device are running Ice Cream Sandwich today. Many manufacturers have pledged sweeping updates for their devices, but few have promised to make that happen before the second half of this year.

http://www.i4u.com/49847/galaxy-s-iis-ice-cream-sandwich-delayed?
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #575 on: March 10, 2012, 09:32:38 am »
I didn't know it was tomorrow.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #576 on: March 10, 2012, 06:31:02 pm »
i browse the web using the standard internet browser installed on the phone, but;

I read that alot of you have downloaded and use different browsers such as opera/mozilla etc whats the reason/benefits for using an external providers browser ?

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #577 on: March 10, 2012, 07:03:19 pm »
Dont know if its any good like but 99p for all this dont seem bad - was posted on hotukdeals....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270927037552&clk_rvr_id=322452069191

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #578 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:30 pm »
Due an upgrade and looking at the SII but might wait for either the new version with a decent deal or this one for a better deal.

Is is correct that Sky Go doesn't work on rooted phones?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:08:35 pm by BCCC »
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #579 on: March 11, 2012, 10:18:03 pm »
Anyone else had the android market turn into google play shop or somet like that?

Everything seems exactly the same when you go on it
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: March 11, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »
yeah, they just changed the name for some reason
STFU and agree with me.

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #581 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:08 pm »
Got all excited thinking I had the ICS update - Installed then realised I must have been running 2.2 and all it was is 2.3 update...
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #582 on: March 13, 2012, 11:06:46 am »
Got all excited thinking I had the ICS update - Installed then realised I must have been running 2.2 and all it was is 2.3 update...
:-(

Offline lfcshaunod

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the King
« Reply #583 on: March 13, 2012, 11:27:43 am »
What is all this ice cream sandwich stuff?

Can someone just explain in simple terms?

Also, whats the benefit of using other internet browsers on the phone? Whats wrong the using the one already on the phone anyway?
I'M NOT NED STARK'S BASTARD!!!

Offline BCCC

• Or B square
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blessed are the Cheesemakers
« Reply #584 on: March 13, 2012, 12:33:37 pm »
What is all this ice cream sandwich stuff?

Can someone just explain in simple terms?

Also, whats the benefit of using other internet browsers on the phone? Whats wrong the using the one already on the phone anyway?

Just a software update with a funky name.

Other browsers have better functionality and are more user friendly. I use dolphin hd.
*****LFC Purveyors of fine football tradition since 1892*****

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #585 on: March 13, 2012, 02:27:01 pm »
Anyone see this ICS Tweet on Samsung's official Twitter? Anyone got it yet?

"#ICS for #GALAXYSII will be available today in Europe including Poland, Hungary, Sweden, & Korea, & gradually roll out to other markets."

https://twitter.com/#!/SamsungMobile/status/179372301840687104
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #586 on: March 13, 2012, 02:37:59 pm »
Going to be selling mine next week, it's in very good condition... reckon I could get about £300 for it?

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #587 on: March 13, 2012, 03:12:07 pm »
In case people don't know - the Sky Go app is now out
this doesnt work on my phone because it is 'rooted' or has some rooting system - what is that and how do i get rid of it?

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: March 13, 2012, 03:54:51 pm »
Anyone see this ICS Tweet on Samsung's official Twitter? Anyone got it yet?

"#ICS for #GALAXYSII will be available today in Europe including Poland, Hungary, Sweden, & Korea, & gradually roll out to other markets."

https://twitter.com/#!/SamsungMobile/status/179372301840687104
Slightly different for the UK:
Samsung UK can confirm that the roll out of Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) on Galaxy S II will be available from week commencing 19th March, however the availability of software upgrades in the UK will be dependent upon each network’s own software approvals process. ICS for GALAXY Note, GALAXY S II LTE, GALAXY Tab 8.9 and 10.1 will follow soon.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gdhhi9 and https://twitter.com/#!/samsunguk

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #589 on: March 13, 2012, 04:02:02 pm »
Ah i thought the update was the Saturday just gone, Sky GO doesn't work with ICS if anyone is using it and wants to upgrade the software.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:16:05 am by Surprise me. »

Offline SportBilly

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #590 on: March 13, 2012, 08:04:41 pm »
Slightly different for the UK:http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gdhhi9 and https://twitter.com/#!/samsunguk

Yeah, I noticed that. Just thought I'd mention it though since I think there are a couple of people from the countries listed on here.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #591 on: March 14, 2012, 03:48:37 am »
I'm due an upgrade on the 19th of next month...
should I expect ICS on the phone and tell them to do
one if its not? Thanks.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: March 14, 2012, 11:01:37 am »
one if its not? Thanks.

Why does it matter? It's just a software update. If it doesn't come with it installed just update it yourself (if it has been released) or sit and be patient if it's not yet out.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #593 on: March 14, 2012, 01:06:55 pm »
one if its not? Thanks.
Highly unlikely when you consider the leadtimes involved in the production of a phone, followed by shipping it to a particular country, then onward shipping to the networks depot before finally being shipped to the end user. The phone may well have been made a couple of weeks/months ago.
Plus as he said:
Why does it matter? It's just a software update. If it doesn't come with it installed just update it yourself (if it has been released) or sit and be patient if it's not yet out.

Offline Living Legends

• Legacy Fan
  • 5 Times Baby! Make that 6 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
« Reply #594 on: March 14, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »
Highly unlikely when you consider the leadtimes involved in the production of a phone, followed by shipping it to a particular country, then onward shipping to the networks depot before finally being shipped to the end user. The phone may well have been made a couple of weeks/months ago.
Plus as he said:

Yeah true Terry, I thought that it might well take a few weeks/months to be released to the general public. Just thought I read somewhere that those who did the update themselves had some trouble afterwards? Anyways thanks.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #595 on: March 14, 2012, 08:48:23 pm »
Firefox on Android is excellent.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #596 on: March 15, 2012, 10:27:41 pm »
f/w update to 2.3 has screwed mine - Voume goes up and down durign calls and the text messages on swift keyboard do not auto go to the next line
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline JLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: March 16, 2012, 04:36:32 pm »
Going to be selling mine next week, it's in very good condition... reckon I could get about £300 for it?

Round about that on ebay at the moment

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: March 16, 2012, 10:13:07 pm »
Not sure if its discussed in here or not, but an app I'm currently finding extremely useful on my S2 is JuiceDefender.

Up to now I've been a bit disappointed with battery life. I charge it all night, get up about 8am, by 9pm it's warning me the battery is next to dead. I use it on and off throughout the day for checking sports news, twitter, facebook, etc, maybe making a couple of phone calls (almost forget you can do that with this phone).

Installed JuiceDefender a few days ago. Its now gone 10pm, and the battery is at about 60%. I've used it no less really than usual, possibly more. I've made quite a lot of phone calls on it, and had it connected to my car radio this evening to listen to music (though it will have been charging a bit at that time, but was only for about 15 minutes).

Would highly recommend it (I'm using the free version btw, you can pay for an upgraded version but I wouldn't say its worth it really, the free one does such a good job).

Offline plasterered

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a....
« Reply #599 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »
right men

I want to lash some dvd's that i have onto my S2. can I;

download KIES software, rip the dvd into that then sync the phone with KIES ? ?

surly thats the point of KIES and in 2012 that should be possible yeah ? or what